• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

Anyone know if the pro patches and what not will also be for digital copies? Obviously I know they can send them as title updates or patch updates/fixes but I want to be sure I don't have to have the physical copy.

Thanks

i set the console to 1080p and oddly enough the ability to display HDR goes away?

manually set to 1080p
CwtSWMXUQAApv3r.jpg:large

set to 4K/autodetect

does this mean we cant force 1080 and still retain HDR?

JayBabay

??? Need more context for this comment.

Pretty much saying that after the Xbox One S showed even a minuscule improvement in games with it's boost in power people had new expectations that the PS4 Pro should unquestionably do the same with all it's extra power over the original. In reality, the differences the S made may not even be noticeable, but based on principle they expect/demand some form of performance improvement for older games without needing patches. I mean, it's not far-fetched to have those expectations but it isn't as simple as they may think or else there's no reason Sony wouldn't have taken advantage of it.

Fisty

i set the console to 1080p and oddly enough the ability to display HDR goes away?

manually set to 1080p

set to 4K/autodetect

I can't think of a single situation where you would want to set 1080p as the PS4 Pro output if you have a 4k tv

Grimalkin

Pretty disheartening considering they're gonna make season 2 content.

Making new content requires a completely different skill set than making a pro-optimized version of the game.

New content requires mostly designers and artists where making a pro-optimized version is pretty much 100% programming as it will use art assets that are already available. And programmers are the most valued, most in-demand members of the dev team.

Pre-ordering is free? I was also convinced that we'd hear about a Bloodborne patch, what with Sony publishing the game. Even Persona 5 isn't getting a Pro mode, and that's coming out in February (I understand that the Japanese release date is what counts).

I personally am not at all surprised by this. Both teams that worked on these games probably don't have pipelines in place to support this sort of thing. Japanese game development teams are structured and managed a lot differently than your average western team and keep in mind that many western teams aren't supporting the Pro either.

Sony publishing Bloodborne doesn't have any impact on post-release support. Unfortunately. And Sony not paying From Software to make creating a Pro patch worth their time is also not surprising to me, Sony tends to be conservative spenders when it comes to this sort of thing, at least in comparison to Microsoft. I think when Scorpio does eventually launch you are going to see Microsoft throw money around to try and get Scorpio patches for all the games that are still popular.

Pretty much saying that after the Xbox One S showed even a minuscule improvement in games with it's boost in power people had new expectations that the PS4 Pro should unquestionably do the same with all it's extra power over the original. In reality, the differences the S made may not even be noticeable, but based on principle they expect/demand some form of performance improvement for older games without needing patches. I mean, it's not far-fetched to have those expectations but it isn't as simple as they may think or else there's no reason Sony wouldn't have taken advantage of it.

I totally understand people's assumption there but the fact is that Microsoft and Sony's approach to their consoles is very different. Microsoft is somewhat "be free! crank it, let's see what happens!" where Sony is much more cautious and measured. They don't want to do or approve anything that they can't be assured of a quality outcome.

Anyone know if the pro patches and what not will also be for digital copies? Obviously I know they can send them as title updates or patch updates/fixes but I want to be sure I don't have to have the physical copy.

Thanks

Yep, you will be fine, the actual software builds are the same just packaged in different SKUs.

Metfanant

manually set to 1080p

set to 4K/autodetect

Could.be an oversight, but considering there is no such thing as a 1080p HDR set...it may just disable HDR in 1080p mode

I mean, is there any medical research into this syndrome they develop where 30fps makes them feel sick, uncomfortable, causes eye strain or makes the game unplayable for whatever reason?

Funnily enough, there are some 60fps games that make me feel a bit weird. It's not quite motion sickness, but I definitely feel a bit "off" after playing certain 60fps games. Come to think of it, this has mostly happened with FPS games. RAGE was a prime example for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Quality of what? The 0´s and 1's that it sends? What is the difference?

Edit:Here listen to this and stop buying expensive cables.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/are-expensive-hdmi-cables-worth-buying/
Buying a $100 cable is of course nonsense, but it's worth pointing out that if you need a 4K, HDR capable HDMI cable, not every cheap cable, or existing cable will do - especially if you need a longer cable. They confirmed this on digital foundry the other day, and they sounded pretty surprised about it themselves.

1080p mode being 60fps.
In that case, the game will give you the option to select that mode. You shouldn't ever have to switch this through the PS4 video settings.

That 1fps improvement from the S has spoiled people.
If that's what you need to tell yourself.
??? Need more context for this comment.
I'd imagine he's saying that Xbox One S likely gives an average of 1fps improvement to performance, so the "no Pro improvement on unpatched games" isn't much loss.

The "1fps" is an estimate, but probably a good one. Digital Foundry only found an average of 2.3 fps improvements across the games they tested, and that's when focusing on titles most likely to see a bump. And they had a real outlier in Project Cars, too. Knock that off their list, and the remaining games only averaged 1.4 fps gains.

icespide

Banned
I'd imagine he's saying that Xbox One S likely gives an average of 1fps improvement to performance, so the "no Pro improvement on unpatched games" isn't much loss.

The "1fps" is an estimate, but probably a good one. Digital Foundry only found an average of 2.3 fps improvements across the games they tested, and that's when focusing on titles most likely to see a bump. And they had a real outlier in Project Cars, too. Knock that off their list, and the remaining games only averaged 1.4 fps gains.

giphy.gif

Aceofspades

Banned

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Buying a $100 cable is of course nonsense, but it's worth pointing out that if you need a 4K, HDR capable HDMI cable, not ever cheap cable, or existing cable will do - especially if you need a longer cable. They confirmed this on digital foundry the other day, and they sounded pretty surprised about it themselves.

Accurate. The amount of 1s and 0s being sent on a 4K signal with HDR overwhelms some of the old cables.

That said, you don't need to break the bank on the new cables, just make sure when you buy inexpensive HDMI cables you get high quality ones

Is there a thread where people are/have been talking about this whole new FAQ that talks about 3rd party games being able to charge for pro patches? I thought this was old news and people are talking about stuff from after the launch but it seems like it's back in conversation because of the wording of some FAQ they recently posted?

holygeesus

Banned
What are you having a problem with?

I'm not having a problem with anything. However, the joy of consoles, for me, are their (supposed) simplicity. You buy the game, slap it in, then bang on with it, having a universal experience with everyone else. An immediate one. Nowadays, you need day-one patches, pro-patches, and everything else in between, before deciding, what resolution to play at, what frame-rate to play at, whether to play in VR etc etc.

I don't care what anyone says, it *is* becoming more like PC gaming, in that you spend as much time tinkering as you do playing the damn games. All the comparisons between PS4 Pro games and their PC equivalents, only serve to emphasise the point.

I'm not having a problem with anything. However, the joy of consoles, for me, are their (supposed) simplicity. You buy the game, slap it in, then bang on with it, having a universal experience with everyone else. An immediate one. Nowadays, you need day-one patches, pro-patches, and everything else in between, before deciding, what resolution to play at, what frame-rate to play at, whether to play in VR etc etc.

I don't care what anyone says, it *is* becoming more like PC gaming, in that you spend as much time tinkering as you do playing the damn games. All the comparisons between PS4 Pro games and their PC equivalents, only serve to emphasise the point.
Not even close yet

There has been a slight shift but nothing so drastic as what would warrant that much anxiety about the changes

deadduck

It *is* becoming more like PC gaming, in that you spend as much time tinkering as you do playing the damn games.

Lol, I mean the 40 hours of BF1 I played, I must have spent at least 1 min inverting the controls on PC and PS4. I probably spent an hour total messing with PC settings.

So comparable.

Hawk269

I have many games where games feel a lot smoother, not all, but many that are more than 1fps improvement. Guess the person was trying be funny/smart ass and it was lost on me. lol

icespide

Banned
Got it...I was just wondering why he was being kind of a dick with saying the 1fps difference, when it has been proven over and over again that many games have had some good increases in frame rate on the "S" compared the standard Xbox One. Perhaps he was trying to be funny or a smart ass and I didn't get it. lol
I think phrases like "over and over", "many games", and "good increases" really overstates the boost

Kalentan

Everything uses supersampling if it renders above your display resolution, it's not a feature the developer has to enable.

Oh. I actually did not know that.

Also any chance we can get some 4k Checkerboard Infinite Warfare Europa mission screenshots? That's honestly one of the levels I most want to see with it.

Hawk269

Anyone know if DF is going to tackle PSVR with the Pro? I have read of improvements, but details and specific games have not been covered very well so far with many of the reviews.

zoozilla

Man, it's kinda disappointing that Uncharted 4 has drops from 30 fps even on the Pro.

And I assume that 1080p mode is just downscaling the high resolution image, so performance won't be better there.

I was hoping for no drops from 30 fps ever!

Cubed

I'm so stupidly excited for the Pro now. Just two weeks ago I figured it wouldn't be a big deal and yet here I am... just bought my first 4K tv, got rid of the old PS4, and have the Pro reserved.

Rather shit, apparently. It's by far the weakest upgrade out of the group - very poor scaling and with increased frame rate drops over the original. Hopefully a further patch will clear things up.

For fucks sake, I've been waiting for this patch to get the game.. Guess I will just wait for the probably-never-to-be-released second patch and get Ratchet instead.

Vroadstar

manually set to 1080p

set to 4K/autodetect

How do I see this video output information? is this available only for PS4 Pro?

harz-marz

I keep hearing great feedback about Mordor.. I thought the game looked very generic and drab on release. Might try it again!

I'd like to see comparisons between a PS4 Pro and a midrange PC with an RX480 or a GTX1060. I imagine that some people will be trying to decide between a PC upgrade and a Pro this holiday season.

BreakAtmo

In fairness the Pro's clock boosts are bigger than that, and it would probably be useful for certain games that target 30fps and suffer little dips to 27-28. That sort of consistency improvement can be really nice, and I do hope Sony at least attempts to test it out.

Top Bottom