• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

SeppOCE

Counterpoint: I've been gaming at 60fps+ for much longer than 4-5 years on my PC and I have 0 problems playing console games at 30fps. It does not bother me at all.

I was fine with it at 60 but it was when I delved into the realm of 144hz that I noticed how shitty it felt. Bloodborne and the Order are probably the only exceptions I've found with this gen.

2GQVhP9.png

Messaged one of the lead designers of BF1 about the Pro patch. Doubt I'll get an answer but hey...
giphy.gif

I'm trying man I don't know

Latimer

Banned
I wouldn't be that much interested as well if that was the only benefit, but it totally depends on the game. TR, KF2, Second Son/Last Light all give 60 or close-to-60 options for 1080p now as well, and other games give increased detail at 1080p over and above just supersampling. I'd love more games to have this of course, but considering it's early those are encouraging.

Yea that's definitely a great option, but no 1080p 60fps mode for Uncharted 4 is crazy IMO, heck I'd even take 900p 60fps. I probably still wouldn't buy a new console for it though, I'll be sticking to the main console iterations like always.

I was fine with it at 60 but it was when I delved into the realm of 144hz that I noticed how shitty it felt. Bloodborne and the Order are probably the only exceptions I've found with this gen.

Man Bloodborne was rough for me, but that was more frame pacing related. Chromatic aberration made my eyes bleed too.

30FPS is horrible if you've been gaming the last 4-5 years at a standard of 60. It makes it especially hard when you try to sit down and play a Sony exclusive at 30fps, even though their exclusives are brilliant. Then again if you've been playing the last 4-5 years at 60fps a PS4 probably isn't for you.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, and I have been all my life. I game on a 165hz G-Sync display and generally game at 100-140 FPS on my PC.

30 FPS gaming is just fine. Especially single player games with a controller. Uncharted 4 was perfectly playable.

30FPS is horrible if you've been gaming the last 4-5 years at a standard of 60. It makes it especially hard when you try to sit down and play a Sony exclusive at 30fps, even though their exclusives are brilliant. Then again if you've been playing the last 4-5 years at 60fps a PS4 probably isn't for you.

This is all complete bollocks. I don't even know where to begin.

Just the way I feel as a PS4 owner with a 1080p screen. Downsampling is very nice and I do it on PC a lot but I'm not going to buy a whole other console to do it there as well.

Maybe If I didn't have a PC too I'd feel differently but I still say it's more worth the jump if you're going 4k.

But it's not only that you are getting better Res , effects , frame rate etc etc on certain games.
I guess the question is which games you really care about and what devs going to do .
For eg some going buy pro for BF1 and others for FFXV , HZD , etc etc .
Since they want best PS consoles version .

Counterpoint: I've been gaming at 60fps+ for much longer than 4-5 years on my PC and I have 0 problems playing console games at 30fps. It does not bother me at all.

It doesn't take too much time for me to adapt back to 30 fps. But there is clearly a transition in which my eyes/hands have to adjust back and forth. Maybe 20 to 30 minutes before it 'syncs" back up.

It happens all the time when I go from something like Titanfall 2 to Destiny.

That's normal. It's hard to respond to posts that make next to zero sense.

I can't agree with this. I've been gaming at 60 FPS on PC for at least 10 years, but I can easily adjust to 30 FPS when playing console exclusives. I genuinely feel bad for people who can't adjust with ease.

Latimer

Banned

Why is it?

But it's not only that you are getting better Res , effects , frame rate etc etc on certain games.
I guess the question is which games you really care about .
For eg some going buy pro for BF1 and other for FFXV etc etc .
Since they want best PS consoles version .

Yea I'm not trying to say there aren't great benefits for 1080p owners, I just don't want to buy a new box for some downsampling and maybe an unlocked variable framerate mode.

SpokkX

Yeah i feel the same

30fps feel like crap. Was really hoping the pro would focus on framerate, instead it focuses on 4k.. which is meaningless in at least my livibg room. Sitting 3 meters away i can barely see a difference between 1080 and 4k on my 55". Total waste of power imo.

60fps you can see at any distance!!
Hope tomb raider sets a standard

Me too, I can go from playing games on my PC (i7 6700k, GTX 1070) at well over 60fps and then go play on my PS4 at 30fps game, no issues at all.

The whole 30fps is unplayable thing is total bollocks to me.

Yeah i feel the same

30fps feel like crap. Was really hoping the pro would focus on framerate, instead it focuses on 4k.. which is meaningless in at least my livibg room. Sitting 3 meters away i can barely see a difference between 1080 and 4k on my 55". Total waste of power imo.

But you do understand that there are people who feel exactly the opposite, right? Short of giving users on consoles the option to tweak their settings, there's no way to make everyone happy.

Latimer

Banned
Yeah i feel the same

This is the main problem, not only is it less fluid, it feels less responsive too, which impacts gameplay.

Feels worth it to me. After selling my OG PS4, it costs me $220 CAD to go Pro. PS5 in 2-3 years, so I feel I'll get my money's worth.

Yea that's definitely a great option, but no 1080p 60fps mode for Uncharted 4 is crazy IMO, heck I'd even take 900p 60fps.
You're assuming that the limitation is the GPU and not the CPU in single player though. Resolution drops may do nothing to alleviate the main bottleneck.
Man Bloodborne was rough for me, but that was more frame pacing related. Chromatic aberration made my eyes bleed too.
Yeah even with locking to 30fps, a Pro patch for BB would be a nice improvement. The poor frame pacing has really hampered my enjoyment of it, I find it incredibly choppy.

For the most part I'm fine going from 144 fps on my PC to 30 fps on consoles.

The exception is first person games, though. First person games at 30 fps give a headache.

Been really down on the fact my top line xbr65x950b does not support hdr and will not get a firmware update. But reading this review it seems like the benefits of hdr will vary greatly from the low end models to the high end models. So I suspect that my non-hdr tv is probably still pretty decent compared to a low end tv with hdr.

I would like to jump on the HDR train but can't justify spending the money now after having purchased a psvr and a bunch of games and a ps4 pro and a bunch of games.

SMH

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This is the main problem, not only is it less fluid, it feels less responsive too, which impacts gameplay.
I've played a LOT of destiny and the gameplay felt polished and great :/..it sounds like it should be unplayable tho.
not directly directed at you, your comment was just the one I quoted :D

Rizific

It's been my standard for longer than that, but I 100% agree. The only upcoming PS exclusives that I'm interested in are horizon and God of War. I swore off of the pro because of the lack of uhd player, but those 4k screens of horizon look absolutely incredible. The only downside being 30fps. Such a damn shame. I'll probably eventually buckle and grab a pro, but with Microsofts play anywhere program I can directly compare exclusives on my pc to the x1. 30fps in comparison to 60+ is downright terrible. But when you have no choice, what are you gonna do?

Koobion

I've got no problems going from high performance PC gaming, to console gaming at 30fps. It just depends on the person I guess, but I don't think it's right to say that you shouldn't play 30fps games if you're used to 60, because a lot of people don't mind it.

jett

D-Member
I watched it on a 65" 4k TV from about 1.5 meter away and I specifically payed attention to thin details like leaves of grass etc.
There is really no apparent difference in sharpness/resolution, I don't know why it comes across like that in this screenshot.
I don't see any detail loss compared to the PC version, on very thin details.

Yeah, I mean, look at the leaves of grass.

What these screens tell me is that checkerboard rendering is indeed pretty impressive tech.

I wonder if regular PS4 games will start using it (I know R6:Siege uses something similar). Maybe when devs start focusing their efforts on the Pro and start treating the regular PS4 as the red-headed Sony stepchild.

ghibli99

Excellent review. The framerate posturing in every thread is annoying though. Undertale was a lo-fi 30fps game, and it ended up being one of my favorite games of 2015. I'm currently playing The Witcher 3 B&W at 1440p60 and enjoyed Oceanhorn at 4K60, but have no issue jumping back to Ratchet & Clank or Bloodborne on PS4. It would suck to be such a slave to framerate. It matters for some things, but not for all. I happen to prefer TLOU Remastered at 30fps, and can't wait to see how it looks on the Pro.

Just the way I feel as a PS4 owner with a 1080p screen. Downsampling is very nice and I do it on PC a lot but I'm not going to buy a whole other console to do it there as well.

Maybe If I didn't have a PC too I'd feel differently but I still say it's more worth the jump if you're going 4k.

That's the thing, you own a gaming PC and the person you initially answered potentially might not. What if Playstation 4 is their only source for gaming?

That said, even if one has a PC, I don't see how the negates the Pro's amazing value keeping its price into consideration.

Could the Xbone partnership be holding back the release of info on the BF patch?

No. It should get a patch by the 10th of November.

DBT85

Do you have to install a patch for new PSPro games?

If it's a game that comes out after the 10th then largely no, they'll have it on the disk. There may be games that didn't have it ready for the master and there may be games (FFXV and UC4 probably) that will have a mode, but may then get a patch to improve it again.

valkyre

seriously where the hell is the "coverage" regarding PS4 Pro?!

So far this so called "embargo" is a complete utter joke. I was expecting actual coverage, comparisons, wtf were they doing all these days?

We literally dont even have actual pictures to compare, apart from a few that some people who got early access provided...

LordOfChaos

Just watched the DF Tomb Raider footage. In terms of res, it holds up pretty well to 4K I think.

Yeah, I downloaded the sample video from their new 4K playback thingy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-patreon-4k-video-platform

The PS4 Pro sure is impressive for the price, but the biggest oddity to me was the birds or helicopter blades. The birds, if you looked closely enough or paused it, would appear to be in two positions at once on the PS4 Pro, while being solid objects on PC.

It's surprisingly close for the price though, again. But there are absolutely tells that it's not native.

epmode

Canceled my pre-order. Seems like a waste of money without a 4K television. The downsampling is nice but not $400 nice, not to mention that the games I REALLY want to get a Pro patch aren't getting one.

Someday, probably. Maybe.

Yeah, I downloaded the sample video from their new 4K playback thingy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-patreon-4k-video-platform

The PS4 Pro sure is impressive for the price, but the biggest oddity to me was the birds or helicopter blades. The birds, if you looked closely enough or paused it, would appear to be in two positions at once on the PS4 Pro, while being solid objects on PC.

It's surprisingly close for the price though, again. But there are absolutely tells that it's not native.

I think the differences in settings may be slightly more evident than even res differences though. The PC is on High vs medium on PS Pro I think.

harz-marz

Canceled my pre-order. Seems like a waste of money without a 4K television. The downsampling is nice but not $400 nice, not to mention that the games I REALLY want to get a Pro patch aren't getting one.

Why did you preorder it if the only games you wanted to get a patch hadn't even been announced?

Don't you have a PS4 OG to sell? Could be a nice $200-250 upgrade.

I can't agree with this at all. I've been gaming at 60fps for more than 10 years on PC and I have no issues playing console games at 30fps.

The only genre I can't do 30fps is shooters and fighting games.

I tweeted a rainbow six dev and they said it's not something they're looking at, at the minute :(

Also disappointed about the coverage.

Expected extensive screenshot comparisons on all patch games before and after PS4 pro

I tweeted a rainbow six dev and they said it's not something they're looking at, at the minute :(

Also disappointed about the coverage.

Expected extensive screenshot comparisons on all patch games before and after PS4 pro
Pretty disheartening considering they're gonna make season 2 content.

What these screens tell me is that checkerboard rendering is indeed pretty impressive tech.

I wonder if regular PS4 games will start using it (I know R6:Siege uses something similar). Maybe when devs start focusing their efforts on the Pro and start treating the regular PS4 as the red-headed Sony stepchild.

I literally had to find out on GAF that apparently R6 is 540p and uses the tech.

Like... I have 300+ hours and I knew it wasn't 1080p, but never would I have guessed it was 540p in a million years. I thought at most, it was running at something like 900p. And I consider myself pretty good with the resolution and FPS stuff.

I literally had to find out on GAF that apparently R6 is 540p and uses the tech.

Like... I have 300+ hours and I knew it wasn't 1080p, but never would I have guessed it was 540p in a million years. I thought at most, it was running at something like 900p. And I consider myself pretty good with the resolution and FPS stuff.
Rainbow 6 in 1080p looks beautiful.

I watch a stream of someone called Tangy quite a long and it always looks amazing.

Would love a 1080p patch!

I can't agree with this. I've been gaming at 60 FPS on PC for at least 10 years, but I can easily adjust to 30 FPS when playing console exclusives. I genuinely feel bad for people who can't adjust with ease.

I've always been fairly dubious of the people who claim to be "unable" to play games at 30fps, simply because they have experienced 60 to some greater or lesser degree.

I mean, is there any medical research into this syndrome they develop where 30fps makes them feel sick, uncomfortable, causes eye strain or makes the game unplayable for whatever reason?

We've all played games at 60fps, even on consoles, so why don't we all develop this syndrome?

How many hours, and what exposure does it take to develop the syndrome? How come many people who play almost exclusively on PC at 60fps don't develop the syndrome, while others do?

Is the syndrome permanent or temporary? How long does it last?

What is the physiological basis for the syndrome? Or is it purely psychosomatic?

Why does the syndrome not affect them whilst watching sub 60fps non-game content, like movies which are 24fps (and no, motion sickness doesn't count as it only applies to first person perspective, not 3rd person and many suffers attest it affects all games)?

Why are only PC users affected (from what I can see), while people who play primarily Nintendo console exclusive games are not affected despite both being 60fps? Or people who play 1000s of hours of 60fps beat 'em ups on console not affected while PC users are?

There's an interesting study in this...

Humdinger

I agree all of this has been confusing and it's a delicate situation. I specifically mean in the last week or so the front page of GAF has consistently been saturated with Pro threads. I am just genuinely surprised that a poster would have enough interest to comment in on Pro thread, and completely ignore the countless other threads that showcase the information that person is seeking.

perhaps I give people too much credit I dunno

I think so. It doesn't take any effort (or even much interest) to post in a thread. A lot of people just want to get in their two cents, because it's a hot topic. They've got an opinion. They don't have any real interest in learning about the subject, but they've got an opinion. They may have made up their mind ages ago, but they've got an opinion.

Top Bottom