• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 - DF Tech Review - The Next Level in Real-Time Visuals

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The very first game revealed/announced for Xbox Series X has finally arrived - Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is a very specific kind of narrative experience that may not appeal to everyone, but the tightly focused design opens the door to astonishing level of craft and technology in the visual design. Join John Linneman for a deep dive into the exceptional audio-visual accomplishments of Ninja Theory's latest.

Summary ( Thanks adamsapple adamsapple ) -

General:
- Takes advantage of everything UE5 offers
- Final game 'lives up to the lofty expectations' of the 2019 reveal
- Character rendering sets new standards and nearly resembles movie sequences with actual actors
- Leverages Unreal's Meta Human 5 to bypass the uncanny valley feel
- DF were left guessing whether some cut-scenes were in-game or real life footage (photo mode shows they're all real time)
- Character detail and how light / specular etc reflect on it praised
- A lot of the visual make up is tied to the post-process effects
- No option to disable things like CA, DoF etc but it's all suitable to the games presentation
- Soft filmic image quality and wider FoV praised

Resolution and Visuals:
- DRS 1296 to 1440p (w/ black bars 964 to 1070p). Series S will be covered in separate video
- 'Not sure if adding more pixels would make a difference to the filmic quality'

UE5 Features:
- Lumen is used extensively for direct and in-direct lighting, a lot of real time changes and shadows etc all update accordingly
- 'Phenomenal stuff'
- Lumen does a better job than traditional real time lighting system for indirectly lit areas like under ramps etc
- Lumen reflections used in combination with SSR for water bodies. Some water bodies can show SSR artifacts when moving camera
- 'Anyone looking at the game in motion will be impressed even if they do not understand the technical reasons'
- Unreal's fog is used effectively, fog lights up with light sources and runs at high quality
- Water effects and waves are praised. ' Absolutely stunning'

- Nanite is extensively used and eliminates visible pop-in even during scene transitions
- Minimal repetition or tiling, uses photo-grammatory
- Some assets like tree branches can show low resolution when zoomed in with photo mode, however

- Fine shadow detail is retained even when zooming extremely in thanks to Unreal's Virtual Shadow Maps
- Shadow quality is not always perfect and can show cracks in some instances but very consistent by and large
- Not the first UE5 game to use all these features, but by and far the best looking game to do so.

Performance:
- 30 FPS but the performance is locked and never dropped in John's testing on Series X
- DF tested the game on their Series X - similar - PC to see how much performance could be gained over 30
- 4K with DRS, they were able to stay locked at 30 FPS on High
- DRS 1440p with 60 FPS target sees game play at high 50s with more drops in cut-scenes
- DF thinks based on this test, SX can do 60 FPS with a more aggressive DRS target
- However, PC version can show massive frame time stutters that the Xbox version does not in the same areas
- DF summary: 60 FPS is theoretically possible, but for a stable 60 they might need to drop settings a lot

Audio
- Headphones are needed for Binaural audio effect that the game uses extensively
- DF thinks it is 'incredibly engaging'

Trailer Comparison:
- They compare the Giant fight trailer with the same area in the final game
- Final game has lesser lens distortion and difference in how the flame is lit
- The flames felt more 'fluid' in the demo versus the final game, otherwise no difference in the segment noted

Summary:
- DF thinks Ninja Theory 'reached their goal'
- Praise the polish, presentation etc
- Comment on the games approach as an indie game in a AAA market and game design
- 'Simplistic design but works well here'
- ' One of the most technically accomplished examples of real time graphics'
- John thought the introduction was slow but over time was drawn into the world and enjoyed his experience

The Game Awards Viking GIF by Xbox

Slow Down Reaction GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

DanielG165

I miss the days when the gaming was all about fun. Nowadays, it's just visual, 60fps 4k, 8k, 120fps, high graphic boring stuff.
As if we didn’t just have Hi Fi Rush, a new Zelda game, a raunchy Alien FPS game with a talking gun, a Psychonauts sequel, a Hogwarts game, and more come out recently.

This video is simply a celebration and deep dive look into the best looking game on the market, and it’s always good to have something like this come during a generation. It gives us a proper look at what’s possible with today’s technology.

midnightAI

I miss the days when the gaming was all about fun. Nowadays, it's just visual, 60fps 4k, 8k, 120fps, high graphic boring stuff.
It's funny because this game isnt 60fps, 4k, 8k, 120fps it does have high quality graphics and yes, the game is very boring (I know what you meant)

Edit: and I meant for Series S/X, I am aware you could get to those on a high end PC

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It is definitely the game I needed to regain faith in what this generation can do (on these consoles too) with UE5 on a visual level and graphic fidelity.....

Now I can imagine that games of this level of fidelity may be available to a greater number of Studios beyond the recognized Top ones.
You could say that it is what most of us expected to have arrived 3 years ago after that UE5 demo.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary (33 minute video, damn).

There will be a second video covering more console comparisons between Series S and X at a later time.

General:
- Takes advantage of everything UE5 offers
- Final game 'lives up to the lofty expectations' of the 2019 reveal
- Character rendering sets new standards and nearly resembles movie sequences with actual actors
- Leverages Unreal's Meta Human 5 to bypass the uncanny valley feel
- DF were left guessing whether some cut-scenes were in-game or real life footage (photo mode shows they're all real time)
- Character detail and how light / specular etc reflect on it praised
- A lot of the visual make up is tied to the post-process effects
- No option to disable things like CA, DoF etc but it's all suitable to the games presentation
- Soft filmic image quality and wider FoV praised

Resolution and Visuals:
- DRS 1296 to 1440p (w/ black bars 964 to 1070p). Series S will be covered in separate video
- 'Not sure if adding more pixels would make a difference to the filmic quality'

UE5 Features:
- Lumen is used extensively for direct and in-direct lighting, a lot of real time changes and shadows etc all update accordingly
- 'Phenomenal stuff'
- Lumen does a better job than traditional real time lighting system for indirectly lit areas like under ramps etc
- Lumen reflections used in combination with SSR for water bodies. Some water bodies can show SSR artifacts when moving camera
- 'Anyone looking at the game in motion will be impressed even if they do not understand the technical reasons'
- Unreal's fog is used effectively, fog lights up with light sources and runs at high quality
- Water effects and waves are praised. ' Absolutely stunning'

- Nanite is extensively used and eliminates visible pop-in even during scene transitions
- Minimal repetition or tiling, uses photo-grammatory
- Some assets like tree branches can show low resolution when zoomed in with photo mode, however

- Fine shadow detail is retained even when zooming extremely in thanks to Unreal's Virtual Shadow Maps
- Shadow quality is not always perfect and can show cracks in some instances but very consistent by and large
- Not the first UE5 game to use all these features, but by and far the best looking game to do so.

Performance:
- 30 FPS but the performance is locked and never dropped in John's testing on Series X
- DF tested the game on their Series X - similar - PC to see how much performance could be gained over 30
- 4K with DRS, they were able to stay locked at 30 FPS on High
- DRS 1440p with 60 FPS target sees game play at high 50s with more drops in cut-scenes
- DF thinks based on this test, SX can do 60 FPS with a more aggressive DRS target
- However, PC version can show massive frame time stutters that the Xbox version does not in the same areas
- DF summary: 60 FPS is theoretically possible, but for a stable 60 they might need to drop settings a lot

Audio
- Headphones are needed for Binaural audio effect that the game uses extensively
- DF thinks it is 'incredibly engaging'

Trailer Comparison:
- They compare the Giant fight trailer with the same area in the final game
- Final game has lesser lens distortion and difference in how the flame is lit
- The flames felt more 'fluid' in the demo versus the final game, otherwise no difference in the segment noted

Summary:
- DF thinks Ninja Theory 'reached their goal'
- Praise the polish, presentation etc
- Comment on the games approach as being 'common in the indie space, but it's unusual to see it in the AAA space'.
- 'Simplistic design but works well here'
- ' One of the most technically accomplished examples of real time graphics'
- John thought the introduction was slow but over time was drawn into the world and enjoyed his experience

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'll definitely look at it as this is coming up in private on my computer and never does a phrase come to more in mind then, graphics don't make the whole picture. At this rate that's all they're going to have to tell as it's definitely a boring game that is unexceptional just like the first game unfortunately.

Gaelyon

From a pure graphic and technic perspective, Ninja Theory is the first studio to achieve the next gen U5 visual to match the original PS5 U5 reveal. Yeah the game is short, there's black borders, gameplay is limited and so on, but still, to this day even Sony has not achieve this level of graphical excellence. So cudos to NT, even though I would have prefer a better game it's still an achievement.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
DF were left guessing whether some cut-scenes were in-game or real life footage (photo mode shows they're all real time)
That happened to me multiple times. Literally thought they switched to live action film on some parts like they did in the first game. Just literally looked indistinguishable from reality on certain parts.

nowhat

So, is there a comparison between the launch trailer and the actual game? I seem to recall this being a thing DF did, at least at some point.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They mentioned stutters, I haven't experienced the first that I have noticed, game runs smooth as butter, even when I had it at 60 fps, I just noticed the slow downs to low fifties but never stuttering, now that I have at 1440p native locked at 48fps it's basically flawless in it's performance, I'm pretty sure that weird CPU they're using is the cause

From a pure graphic and technic perspective, Ninja Theory is the first studio to achieve the next gen U5 visual to match the original PS5 U5 reveal. Yeah the game is short, there's black borders, gameplay is limited and so on, but still, to this day even Sony has not achieve this level of graphical excellence. So cudos to NT, even though I would have prefer a better game it's still an achievement.
Yeah, it's absolutely cutting edge and a leap above anything released so far.

Saber

I already expected DF to have an orgasm with games like that which presents clear visuals but have no substance whatsoever. It even makes easier for them to benchmark since will requires no effort with the controller at all.

DanielG165

And if you've seen the PC folks who are experimenting with the ini tweaks and removing the post process, it completely robs the game of its style.
Yep. Removing the black borders and everything else that’s necessary for this game absolutely strips away its artistic integrity. Those things are not there to “hide” anything; Hellblade 2 is going for a filmic look, and those techniques help it to achieve such.

NickFire

So, can we realistically expect this kind of output in more complex current gen games where combat makes 40 or 60 kind of necessary? Or is this more of a tease but possible in the next-gen future for those games?

Last edited:
They bring up an interesting point - by focusing on the post processing and committing to a filmic “soft” look - you can make a game look like a blu ray cgi movie. More games should go this route rather than push resolution as high as possible. It’s pretty clear this visually looks way better than any other game, you don’t need to render something at 4k or 8k at 60fps. Especially not a third person cinematic game. And removing that requirement will allow developers to push the graphics in ways we have not seen yet. Imagine what naughty dog of Ssm could do with their budget and manpower - and not being restrained by a series S or res/fps. Also apparently UE 5.4 or 5.5 has been able to cut the rendering time in half so I think we should be able to get real games that look like this in this generation,

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So, can we realistically expect this kind of output in more complex games where combat makes 40 or 60 kind of necessary? Or is this more of a tease but possible in the future for those games?
We'll see with the Gears 6 trailer in a couple weeks.

I'm sure it won't be Hellblade level, and its a 60 fps game.

Last edited:
We'll see with the Gears 6 trailer in a couple weeks.

I'm sure it won't be Hellblade level, and its a 60 fps game.
I wouldn't discount The Coalition producing near that level at 60fps. You know what HB2 enemies reminded me of in terms of fidelity and animation was that first demo of TLOU2 which the final game fell short of. HB2 just looks incredible, now those graphics with TLOU2 gameplay and that's a game I want to play.

Top Bottom