• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Starfield - Xbox Series X/ Xbox Series S - Performance & Graphics Breakdown

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I believe their testing was also done before the day 1 patch that will be out on release.

A 15GB update for the game came out 2 days ago, that's the equivalent of the day 1 patch, but you're right, most of the testing for this video was probably done even before that.

Oliver says they tested 20 hrs (and found no bugs).

eNT1TY

Yeah, this game is visually a let down. Bethesda good is still just Bethesda good and not necessarily or conventionally good.

adamsapple

Looks like the extra development time they were given, and less platforms to develop for, worked out.

Least buggy game at launch, 20~ hrs in DF's testing. Stable performance, stable visuals. Frequent loads yes, but they seem to be 2~5 seconds with some rare ones like planet landing being longer.

5a14bc7da3486f61be7ccdaea55653ca.jpg
Other than the two above locations, the game is practically locked 30 FPS everywhere. 👨‍🏫👨‍🏫😉😂🤣

you mean to say the little box of magic, the series s, plays the biggest game of the gen so far at a good level? this wont go down well
Yeah, the game is not seamless with multiple loading instances and has sub-par animation and textures, it is hardly the biggest game of this gen from a tech standpoint. Not to mention, the NPCs are as ugly as their last gen last gen counterparts. I would wager that it is not even as impressive as some of the best games of last gen.

Last edited:

sendit

forget the dip, god whats with those trees.
i guess, it is skyrim in space alright
In the heart of the alien landscape stands the Verdeloom, a Luminafungus Tree, its mushroom-like cap adorned by vibrant green draping leaves, resembling a magnificent two-dimensional umbrella. The leaves possess a delicate, translucent quality that catches the alien sunlight, shifting from emerald green to shades of teal and blue. Luminescent orbs dot its surface, emitting a gentle glow and contributing to a harmonious hum that resonates through its unique ecosystem.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Looks like the extra development time they were given, and less platforms to develop for, worked out.

Least buggy game at launch, 20~ hrs in DF's testing. Stable performance, stable visuals. Frequent loads yes, but they seem to be 2~5 seconds with some rare ones like planet landing being longer.

And it was 1275p on the build used for the Starfield Direct. Now it seems that they managed to reach 1440p base resolution (2160p with FSR2)

sendit

With FSR3, any chance we might get a 60FPS performance mode down the road?
If FSR2 (which it's already using on Series consoles) can't bring the base up to 60 FPS, you won't see FSR3 on Series consoles for this game. Unless they drastically degrade the graphic settings further.

adamsapple

If FSR2 (which it's already using on Series consoles) can't bring the base up to 60 FPS, you won't see FSR3 on Series consoles for this game. Unless they drastically degrade the graphic settings further.

Also, FSR3 frame generation, AMD said it should have a base of 60 FPS, it won't turn 30 FPS games into 60.

And it was 1275p on the build used for the Starfield Direct. Now it seems that they managed to reach 1440p base resolution (2160p with FSR2)

Extra dev time put to good use. No doubt future patching will eliminate the small drops it has in New Alexandria as well.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

All I can think of when I hear anything from DF now related to Xbox games is that pic of them getting too chummy with Phil Spencer and Todd. They might be impartial but there is the impression that they probably aren't. Because Microsoft have shown what happens if you don't toe the line, you lose access. We all have bills to pay, I understand it. But you're selling your credibility.

Have to see it on my own tv later today to know for sure but wow the foliage looks terrible in this game, trees and shrubs don't look good at all. I couldn't care less about a barren planet with nothing but rocks on it looking clean lol.

Reading the fsr3 info, it is said it likes a baseline of 60fps.

They haven't said anything about 30fps or how it works with 30fps
It uses previous frame data to help reconstruction, so it likely means it would look worse than FSR2 in motion at 30fps.

This dropping a few days after the picture of them being invited over there and giving Todd a hug isn't inspiring me with confidence that this will be a fair and unbiased appraisal. But from this and other reviews, it definitely is a step up from their previous console releases.

Series S running at 900p/30 even after some downgrades really isn't what I would call "good". Series X version looks solid.

Last edited:

twilo99

Agreed. Definitely makes the Series S a great choice to enjoy the game for cheap.

I think that was the whole point of the system!

If MS didn't buy the studio the game was probably never going to run on xss and we would have at least 5 threads on how it's holding back gaming and causing world hunger.

Instead, now we will likely get the "Oh, but the game would've look soo much better if they didn't have to develop for the xss!" brigade...

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Indoors this game looks very nice (besides the character models), but the outdoors stuff can look really bad (those trees lol). And 1440p30 on XSX, eh. And load screens EVERYWHERE. But that's the Creation Engine for you.

SenkiDala

DF: "Internal 900p, reconstructs to 1440p using FSR2, no signs of reconstruction and looks just like a native 1440p image on a 4K display"

Some gaffers "we stopped reading at internal 900p"
Naaah, they read well, but they just decide to remember what they want. :)

sendit

The game is very heavy on PC as well. NXG/IGN did their video and his 5600x CPU was barely getting above 30 FPS in the cities.
That doesn't tell the whole story. Games are largely GPU dependent past 1080p. NXG/IGN used a RX6800 for their performance review, that is on the lower end of the spectrum.

adamsapple

That doesn't tell the whole story. Games are largely GPU dependent past 1080p. NXG/IGN used a RX6800 for their performance review, that is on the lower end of the spectrum

Right, he covers that. He says in the empty planet sections, you are GPU bound and its a lot easier to hit 60 FPS, but when you enter cities with the NPCs, AI routines etc, the game becomes CPU bound.

It's probably the same as what Todd said about the Xbox version also reaching 60 FPS but them locking to 30 for consistency.

If there's ever a V-Sync unlock mod for Starfield on Xbox ala Skyrim and FO4, we'll probably get a good first hand idea how much it can actually be pushed.

sendit

Right, he covers that. He says in the empty planet sections, you are GPU bound and its a lot easier to hit 60 FPS, but when you enter cities with the NPCs, AI routines etc, the game becomes CPU bound.

It's probably the same as what Todd said about the Xbox version also reaching 60 FPS but them locking to 30 for consistency.

If there's ever a V-Sync unlock mod for Starfield on Xbox ala Skyrim and FO4, we'll probably get a good first hand idea how much it can actually be pushed.
True. However, the 5600x is also a lower end CPU. I'll find out myself in one more hour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom