• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

TyrantII

No it's not the RAM. Sure a memory bottleneck will limit performance but the reason why games run on a lower resolution, framerate, effects or a combination of the three is the lack of GPU grunt.

Its the RAM. Microsoft themselves (well an engineer) let it slip that a better APU would have been a waste anyways because it just be data starved and wasting clock cycles. A better GPU would just sit and be waiting for data unless they increased the size of the eSRAM dramatically, or went with faster main memory than DDR3.

People need to stop the malarkey and accept the hardware tradeoffs MS thought prudent for their "Vision". Its not like this info wasn't out there since E3 (and before).

Hoje0308

Banned
Wait so you cancelled a preorder because you didn't like the way the game LOOKED? Nevermind if it's a good game regardless?

Shallow GW, you.

Maybe he associates lower production values with reduced effort, especially in this case where the publisher has the resources to ensure higher quality than what has been produced. If he feels like he shouldn't support that behavior with his wallet, who are you to not only judge, but call names?

I was joking, but I'm pretty sure ads target keywords from the pages that you view.
I used unfortunate words like "Swell" in one of my posts.

I'm not actually getting these ads.

I thought it had something to do with MSAA, but a quick Google search yielded only information on multiple sclerosis and graphics techniques.

Waaghals

Maybe he associates lower production values with reduced effort, especially in this case where the publisher has the resources to ensure higher quality than what has been produced. If he feels like he shouldn't support that behavior with his wallet, who are you to not only judge, but call names?

I thought it had something to do with MSAA, but a quick Google search yielded only information on multiple sclerosis and graphics techniques.

Ah, yeah I have some trouble expressing myself clearly.
That must have been quite the search term though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
DDR3 is the reason. ESRAM is a way (albeit imperfect) to mitigate the restrictions.

Unless the devs don't want to re-engineer their engine and 1080P is too large for 32MB. Both are true, but which one is more common is going to be hard to find out.

Beefy

Wait so you cancelled a preorder because you didn't like the way the game LOOKED? Nevermind if it's a good game regardless?

Shallow GW, you.

Nope I cancelled because of all info I read about it. With Red Faction (I still play it now)being my favorite game of all time I am anything but a graphics whore.But I did want Thief to look better then it does. We have people arguing on here about which console it looks best on, when it looks bad on both.

Here's the pic. (sorry about the quality)

whI7kKI.jpg

This is from chapter 4, just after the cut-scene finishes.

The Hermit

PC is part of DF's comparison?

Sorry Stallion, but most people here don't care about the game, they want to justify that their system are better than the other.

The post you quoted is both hillarious and sad, and shows exactly that. (Unless he's joking)

But this kind of shit will end with this gen, hopefully.

the 2004 ue3 tech demo had pom and anisotropic filtering at the same time
why can ue3 suddenly no longer do it? the only engine I know of that couldn't mix pom and af was cryengine 2, and I believe that was fixed in cryengine 3

I saw that too. Not sure but I think we have an idea for the lack of AF. I would rather have the more detailed textures with depth than the AF.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry Stallion, but most people here don't care about the game, they want to justify that their system are better than the other.

The post you quoted is both hillarious and sad, and shows exactly that. (Unless he's joking)

But this kind of shit will end with this gen, hopefully.

Sorry the hermit, but this is a frigging technical face-off, what the hell do you expect to be discussed?

YeSp

Neo Member
They updated the Face-off (sorry if old)

Update 2/3/14 17:45 GMT: On closer inspection, we see parallax occlusion mapping used sparingly on PS4 and PC in the The City hub area, which adds texture extrusions over the Xbox One release. For a majority of surfaces this effect is avoided entirely across all platforms, and for others it's subtle. The most notable contrast is to the centre road brick-work of Stonemarket, though texture quality is identical for any surfaces surrounding it. It's a curious point in favour of the PS4 version in a comparison that is already close - though as documented, its blurrier texture filtering is a trade-off that is worth considering. This is also a separate issue to tessellation - which is engaged on all platforms. We can also confirm both versions are fully installed before starting this test, as with all Face-Offs where the option is available. We hope this clears up any confusion.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It is sad this is the kind attention and "discussion" most new releases receive
People are interested in finding out what these new boxes are capable of. It would be sadder to me if no one got excited about new tech anymore. There's a separate OT for people that want to discuss gameplay.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt when it came to the installation, but this just means they've played the games differently when recording them.

For example playing from start to end of the recording session on Xbox One and doing chapter select on PS4.
We know from the YouTube footage that the PS4 does not exhibit that kind of texture streaming issue every time, while we saw in the Giant Bomb QL (Xbone) footage that they saw severe texture streaming issue when they started their QL.

From the available footage across all sites, it certainly isn't something that is unique to any platform. Bad blinding by them, very amateurish.

JLeack

Banned
More than anything what Thief does is show that when you don't spend enough time polishing a game before release, you get really, really bad results.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The arrogance of the words "on closer inspection." You didn't closely inspect shit, which is why you missed it. It was pointed out to you. Some people just can't own up to mistakes.

Jomjom

Banned
More than anything what Thief does is show that when you don't spend enough time polishing a game before release, you get really, really bad results.

Hey arent you the guy who said the ps4 version's framerate was way worse than the xbox one version?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Good to see they updated it but they've been missing a lot of stuff lately.

I understand missing stuff, but what I don't understand is them missing stuff in their own screengrabs, and having it pointed out to them by comments. I mean, c'mon.

Havel

In the end, this means nothing for both platforms.

Both consoles have games which look, and run, miles better than this game. This is a botched 'next-gen' port that looks and runs awfully. They hastily switched development to PS4 and Xbox One midway through and it shows.

Gestault

The arrogance of the words "on closer inspection." You didn't closely inspect shit, which is why you missed it. It was pointed out to you. Some people just can't own up to mistakes.

I mean this honestly, are you a native English speaker? That's a phrase that's specifically used in cases like this where someone missed something, and are correcting themselves.

TyrantII

In the end, this means nothing for both platforms.

Both consoles have games which look, and run, miles better than this game. This is a botched 'next-gen' port that looks and runs awfully. They hastily switched development to PS4 and Xbox One midway through and it shows.

Yes, platform wise.

People are rightfully concerned about DFs sloppy work as of late.

They rightfully expect better than IGN style comparison mistakes.

I want to hear more about the "single digit" PS4 framerate, where the game runs like a "slide show." You know, where the PS4 framerate is much worse than the Xbox One framerate. The "Megaton" you touted all over twitter.

I am anxious to see how you update your review, considering you said you would when DF did the framerate tests for you. I am anxious to hear your explanation, considering the awful PS4 framerate you detailed (which has been proven false, at least in relation to the Xbox One version) has been proven to be really wrong.

Maybe I am being too hard, maybe not. Its just with all the hyperbole your review's title had in it, and all your statements in the review. Its comical in my opinion. It all backfired, which wouldn't be a big deal if you didn't make such exact statements about the framerate.

Vizzeh

Banned
Its the RAM. Microsoft themselves (well an engineer) let it slip that a better APU would have been a waste anyways because it just be data starved and wasting clock cycles. A better GPU would just sit and be waiting for data unless they increased the size of the eSRAM dramatically, or went with faster main memory than DDR3.

People need to stop the malarkey and accept the hardware tradeoffs MS thought prudent for their "Vision". Its not like this info wasn't out there since E3 (and before).

When AMD gave their optimum stats for their graphics they said "16Rops per 512Cu's and X1 having 768" (Meaning when X1 is saturating all its CU's/power the ROP's cant output 1080p) They also mentioned that "farming texture fetches out to system RAM is a very substantial performance penalty" as "excellent gaming performance is all about keeping resources local to the GPU and its framebuffer" (esram swapping ddr3)

1)GPU Power
2)Under the Rop vs CU quantity
3)Esram

But yeah all boiled down, the starting point of the domino effect was the need for 3GB x 3* OS's + Kinnect

Chabbles

Somewhat telling about the current state of the industry, I suppose. The small handful of genuinely good games don't get this sort of treatment.

Idt its got anything to do with the current state of the industry. Its the Human condition at work here.

And for what its worth, i think this is a genuinely good game, all tech issues aside.

CoG

Amazing how AC4 got the cross-generation thing right for a launch title, with the exception of the day one 1080p patch. Game still looks and plays great on the PS4. Thief blow it.

They updated the Face-off (sorry if old)

I still don't understand why many people on GAF that have the PS4 version are claiming they are not seeing the flag logo pop in on the cutscenes that everyone keeps posting a pic of.

Has anyone been able to replicate that on their own system?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yet, the distance between 1280x720 and 1152x640 was called "significant" in the past.
IIRC Digital Foundry had an article where they argued that 900p is actually a great resolution as you save processing power but it's not a huge difference between it and 1080p.

And to be honest, I don't think based on the Gamersyde footage that there is a noticeable visual difference between Xbone and PS4. That part is subjective though.

Melchiah

IIRC Digital Foundry had an article where they argued that 900p is actually a great resolution as you save processing power but it's not a huge difference between it and 1080p.

And to be honest, I don't think based on the Gamersyde footage that there is a noticeable visual difference between Xbone and PS4. That part is subjective though.

Whether the difference is noticeable, especially on a smaller TV, is entirely subjective. The objective point is that one of systems renders a whole heap more of pixels per screen.

EDIT: And I guess the difference between 1280x720 and 1152x640 wouldn't be noticeable to everyone either, but it didn't prevent DF to call the difference significant back then.

Top Bottom