• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Mario Kart 8

I noticed that and it terrified me! Why is everyone who criticized the article banned now?

I don't wanna get banned...

It's not about criticizing the article, it's about downplaying DF and/or their methods (saying they are "nit picking") or saying things like "No one will even notice this, and if anyone says they do they are just imagining it" sort of things.

If you have legit criticisms about how DF does things, or if you legitimately can't see an issue then it's fine to say that... but picking fights with people who have issues with the frame stutter for no reason doesn't go over well.

It's not about criticizing the article, it's about downplaying DF and/or their methods (saying they are "nit picking") or saying things like "No one will even notice this, and if anyone says they do they are just imagining it" sort of things.

If you have legit criticisms about how DF does things, or if you legitimately can't see an issue then it's fine to say that... but picking fights with people who have issues with the frame stutter for no reason doesn't go over well.

Man, I feel for those guys, seems like the kind of thing I might post if I'm in a bad mood or something.

I for one don't notice the stutter, but I'm worried now that I'm looking for it I'll see it. Does the article have any info on what might be causing it? Can't see it at work :\

Yeah. DF's job is literally TO BE NITPICKY about every little thing they find. Criticising people for being thorough at their job...generally isn't a very smart thing to do.

Personally I haven't been able to notice the 1 frame drop in-game...in my experience, playing MK8 has been seamless.

But that doesn't make the issues with MK8 any less valid. The frame drop is still there, regardless of whether I can personally detect it with my untrained eye. Trying to wave off that issue like it doesn't exist or laugh at DF for nitpicking just makes for bad commentary on the subject.

Thrakier

Yeah. DF's job is literally TO BE NITPICKY about every little thing they find. Criticising people for being thorough at their job...generally isn't a very smart thing to do.

Personally I haven't been able to notice the 1 frame drop in-game...in my experience, playing MK8 has been seamless.

But that doesn't make the issues with MK8 any less valid. The frame drop is still there, regardless of whether I can personally detect it with my untrained eye. Trying to wave off that issue like it doesn't exist or laugh at DF for nitpicking just makes for bad commentary on the subject.

Just claiming that it's "a nitpick" means that you already downplaying it. Most people here don't get the issue right either. No one bothers that the game drops 1 frame. They are bothered by a result, which is a visible stutter effect. Doesn't matter if a game drops 1 frame or 6 or 10 frames, the result is always the same = stutter.

Damaniel

Banned
I noticed that and it terrified me! Why is everyone who criticized the article banned now?

I don't wanna get banned...

It's not about criticizing the articles, it's about dismissing the work of Digital Foundry as mere 'nitpicking' that's supposedly meant in this case to be a hit job against Nintendo (and a criticism of a game that some people believe is beyond criticism for some reason). The point being that of course it's nitpicking (and I don't mean this in a dismissive sense)! DF are, in fact, professional nitpickers - their job is to analyze and present technical findings regarding the games they play, no matter how minor. People like me thrive on this kind of stuff, regardless of what the findings are regarding any particular game.

(Note that in this case, the problem is actually serious enough to affect some people's enjoyment of the game. Some people are really susceptible to stuttering, doubly so if it happens in a predictable pattern. Fortunately, this also seems like the kind of issue that's easily fixed in software, but may not have even been acknowledged, let alone addressed, if groups like DF weren't doing their analysis.)

That, combined with 'thread whining' (coming in and complaining about how a thread shouldn't exist), is a pretty easy ticket to a ban around here. No need to worry about bans if you come into a thread and contribute in a meaningful way.

It's similar. Judder is caused by not framerate not being a multiple of 2 from 60 (due to most TV's being 60Hz), causing some duplicate frames (i.e. some frames are displayed in sync with 60hz, but because the game runs unevenly lower than 60fps so some frames have to be shown more than once)

I haven't played Infamous post the 30fps patch so I can't say how it is now.

I know what he's talking about, and it's probably caused by frame timings. it's a similar phenomena to you see with microstuttering on dual GPU PCs.

imagine it like this: if I take a rock solid 30 fps game like AC4, my 30 frames all display for a 30th of a second AND all represent moments in game a 30th of a second apart.

however, say my game is rendering at 45 fps. If I get to 30 fps by just dropping every third frame, then the amount of in game time between frames is going to be inconsistent, even if they are all displaying for a thirtieth of a second.

I don't know if that's what Infamous is doing mind, but the effect is one that feels like that. It'd be very difficult to figure out just by analyzing video. You'd have to manually compare frame to frame, measuring how far objects moving at consistent speeds had moved from one frame to the next.

I started playing this game today. It's still not fixed, wtf Nintendo. Patch asap please, game is awesome and doesn't deserve this judder.

Etnos

Banned
Yoo guys you are missing the big picture here, the game is really good and fun... but is it running at 1080p 60fps !? heresy!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man... if people have trouble with that little issue, I can't imagine how they feel while playing a game that can go from 60 to 25 FPS(hello Diablo 3 and WoW) depending on what's going on on your screen or for games that can't handle more than 30 FPS with the occasional stutter.

Man... if people have trouble with that little issue, I can't imagine how they feel while playing a game that can go from 60 to 25 FPS(hello Diablo 3 and WoW) depending on what's going on on your screen or for games that can't handle more than 30 FPS with the occasional stutter.

If Diablo 3 is dropping below 60 on your PC you might want to upgrade it.

I am mostly a PC gamer these days so I am used to locked 60 and this judder is jarring.

Larogue

Here is a terrifically bad image made by yours truly to visually illustrate what Digital Foundry appear to be describing.

mk806sd5.png

The top image is locked 60fps. Red/blue indicating new frames. In this instance we see sixty new frames are rendered in consistent sequence for each of the two seconds.
Middle image is locked 30fps. Red/blue again indicating new frames, same consistency, but as you can see there's only half the data by comparison.
It doesn't matter if the game is a different number to these. It could be 40fps, 50fps, 59fps, 43fps, whatever. The frame count fits into each second.

The last image is Mario Kart 8. Based on Digital Foundry's observation the 64th frame is a repeat of the previous frame. This is not technically 59fps. 59fps would be like the top two images: new alternating frames throughout the time period. This is not true for Mario Kart 8. Look at the start of the second bar, and you can see two red frames next to each other. That's what's happening. The scene is refreshing sixty times per second each time, but the 64th frame in each sequence is, for some reason, a double up. Not just a drop in frame rate, but a repeated frame.

This is what we call stutter/judder and can be quite annoying for some people. It's also unusual for a game that seems to otherwise render a full 60 individual frames in a second. So yeah, I guess it's a technical bug.

Seems to be, and yes it should be fixable.
for those who missed this

Mael

I am mostly a PC gamer these days so I am used to locked 60 and this judder is jarring.

Or maybe the network is having one of its day...AT least that was how it was when I tried it.

RiggyRob

720p

Looking back on the first page, it seems most people were only temp banned. It's no longer a graveyard.

Yeah, but they missed E3. That's almost worse than a permaban.

OT: I've played MK8 a fair amount and I am yet to notice the stutter. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing for my enjoyment of the game, or a sign that my eyes are getting worse.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

My PC was a beast ~3 years ago(could run Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2 on very high settings), so it *should* run Blizzard games just fine.

Diablo 3 runs perfectly fine on my PC unless there is too many special (Wizard) effects or when running on the burning bridge in Act 3.

I can't explain it, it's just bad optimization on Blizzard's part.

So yeah... when i'm used to see huge framerate drops like this, something really minor like MK8 issue isn't something i'll notice, and I bet people at Nintendo won't ever fix it(if they're even aware of it). As far as I know, they never released a patch to improve performance of a game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yoo guys you are missing the big picture here, the game is really good and fun... but is it running at 1080p 60fps !? heresy!
It's only disappointing as the game is otherwise very polished. Nintendo games tend to hold up brilliantly decades later and this will be no exception BUT it's a damn shame that such a glitch made it through to the disc. It doesn't ruin the game at all but it's not good.

I dunno, man, PC games in general still tend to suffer from little hitches or skips even on powerful hardware. Kind of hard to completely eliminate in all games.

I almost wish I didn't read this article since I doubt I would have noticed that one frame, but I do :(. Sorry if this has been asked already but I don't seem to notice it in online multi. Am I crazy or is it only in single player?

My PC was a beast ~3 years ago(could run Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2 on very high settings), so it *should* run Blizzard games just fine.

Diablo 3 runs perfectly fine on my PC unless there is too many special (Wizard) effects or when running on the burning bridge in Act 3.

I can't explain it, it's just bad optimization on Blizzard's part.

So yeah... when i'm used to see huge framerate drops like this, something really minor like MK8 issue isn't something i'll notice, and I bet people at Nintendo won't ever fix it(if they're even aware of it). As far as I know, they never released a patch to improve performance of a game.

I guess Diablo can drop on some rare circumstances indeed but that usually only happens to me when heavily downsampling. But I have a strong CPU as well, maybe this is your bottleneck.
Still, I don't really know what's worse. MK doesn't have any drops, it is just this stupid little issue. But unfortunately it happens pretty much nonstop in CPU races so it's annoying. Really hope they will fix it.

I dunno, man, PC games in general still tend to suffer from little hitches or skips even on powerful hardware. Kind of hard to completely eliminate in all games.

True, it happens for some badly optimized games. My system is very balanced though so most games are perfectly smooth for me. It definitely taught me to notice stutter/judder in general.

Sorry if this has been asked already but I don't seem to notice it in online multi. Am I crazy or is it only in single player?

You are correct.

rjc571

Banned
Have there been any comparison webms showing the same stretch of the same track, in single player (with the repeated frame) and in multiplayer (with no repeated frame)?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
After spending nearly a month with a game, I'd have to say the thing I hate most graphically is the shitty texture filtering. It makes things look so amateur. It's especially noticeable on tracks like Royal Raceway and Rainbow Road 64 and it's really jarring. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it.

After spending nearly a month with a game, I'd have to say the thing I hate most graphically is the shitty texture filtering. It makes things look so amateur. It's especially noticeable on tracks like Royal Raceway and Rainbow Road 64 and it's really jarring. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it.

Lack of AF is a next gen feature on PS4. ;)

MilesTeg

Banned
Thing I don't like about it graphically is the aliasing. I didn't notice it much at first but for some reason over time it's become pretty noticeable. Don't notice the frame repeat to be honest, but the lack of AA is pretty noticeable, especially before a race starts.

Top Bottom