• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

leng jai

Somehow there's always people in the OT for every game that claim it (PS4) has zero framerate drops when it clearly does.

SpokkX

Long stretches?? wut..

In the video they've posted you only see the PS4 hit 25fps in Novigrand for 1 second, it stays all the time between 28-30fps.

So much bullshit in this article.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkB8gpPzMkw

well have you considered that perhaps the video the posted is just a short one to highlight the issues.

I have myself witnessed long stretches of 20 fps on ps4. During night and fighting with fire effects effects will never go over 25. Also fighting in swamps with several enemies. Fighting in rain/fog - the same.

Aceofspades

Banned
Giving the scope of the game and the detailed environment, I'm really pleased with game performance on PS4. My major grips of the game is not technical but rather how combat is poorly excuted at least compared to Bloodborne, but that another discussion for another thread.

OCD Guy

Somehow there's always people in the OT for every game that claim it (PS4) has zero framerate drops when it clearly does.

There's only two reasons I can see for anyone that claims that.

Either a) they aren't sensitive to framerate drops, and are probably the type of person that couldn't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps let alone noticing the difference between 30 and 25fps.

b) They are Sony Defense Force

No one has a magical PS4, the game itself suffers from rate rate drops, that's a FACT

Stacey

Banned
Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF
better performance during cutscenes

Xbox one version -
better framerate (predominately because its unlocked)

Did I miss anything?

They should give people the option to change the graphics settings.

I have no idea why they still don't allow this on consoles.

Some people aren't as susceptible to frame drops as others. It's one of those things where people can be living perfectly fine but once they know what a frame drop is it's the worst thing in the world.

My guess would be they haven't discovered the parts of the game where the framerate drops. I'm still in white orchard and the framerate has been fine so far.

amardilo

I don't have a PC but I have a Xbox One and PS4 but I'm still not 100% sure what version to go for (when I have the cash to spare).

Is there any chance/news of CD Project Red locking the frame rate on the Xbox One to 30 frames per second?

Also does anyone think if they do lock it down to 30 frames per second the dynamic resolution might be higher in some areas?

There's something I dont get... why not allow people to choose VSync or not ?

It would ruin the artistic vision.
Some of the drops are 1-2 frames. Those are hardly noticeable (for everyone) with a naked eye.

Arguments that they are "practically imperciptible" even though they obviously are verz visible (especially given how Vsync works), seem like bad arguments unfit for a DF thread.

Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF

Xbox one version -

Did I miss anything?

But theres no clear choice apparantly...

Oppo

Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF

Xbox one version -

Did I miss anything?

Higher frame-rate

Not "better" frame-rate in all cases due to variability

If I had to guess I'd say there's an alpha bug or something like that on Ps4 that is limiting to effective 20 FPS in specific moments, I would bet folding money that will get patched and it will end up 28-30 in most situations.

Haven't got the game yet, thought I'd wait a bit. I know! Crazy right

Hydrargyrus

Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF

Xbox one version -

Did I miss anything?

Damn!, Sony lying again

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game is great but I had less problems with Unity then this, bugs and gitches everywhere and the framerate does drop, hell when I first booted it up I couldn't even start the damn game because it wasn't loading.
Quick Google search gave me nothing but praises for the game and how it was delayed to prevent it being another ACU, yet it's worse lol.
For me anyway.

c0de

url

It actually doesn't look like 8x in a lot of instances. Is probably variable per surface or scene giiven what this gen has shown so far.

From viewing the images and description on DF website.

3/8 Foliage draw distance is identical between the two, as shown across the mountain expanses on the left. Likewise, texture filtering across the wooden boards ahead is a match.

c0de

Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF

Xbox one version -

Did I miss anything?

Huh? I didn't see a better performance (ie. higher fps) in cutscenes in the video.

occelinho

My guess would be they haven't discovered the parts of the game where the framerate drops. I'm still in white orchard and the framerate has been fine so far.

Yep, im also still in white orchard and I agree.
I noticed that there are small drops during gameplay (it always felt like it was around 28-30fps, cutscenes are another case..), but those were fine to me.

But it seems like it is getting worse in other places.

Sanpei

Playing on XBO...Looks beatiful...I havent had anything bothering me...Sometimes it stutters on CG videos, but not so big problem

ISee

I really wonder what CDPR reasoning is behind not locking the framerate on xone? And why did they lock it on one console and not the other?

Vsync costs some performance, but not enough for the xone version to drop constantly below 30... I think.

Their decision making doesn't make sense to me.

Having second thoughts about the PS4 version, might wait until I buy an Xbox One and get the Witcher 3 bundle.

That's certainly an appropriate response.

If the game isnt consistently running at 30 FPS then they need to lower the resolution.

Just like Rockstar did for GTAV? I'll bet the PS4 problems are streaming issues (as usual) and vsync peculiarities in the cut scenes dropping it to 20fps- both easily fixable without a resolution drop (which probably wouldn't solve anything in this case anyway).

Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF

Xbox one version -

Did I miss anything?

Someone pointed out some texture issues on the PS4 in DF comments section, maybe a streaming issue compared to the XB1 - don't know if it happens on both systems though in different places

Theorry

Shame really tought it was going to be a very solid 30fps game after all the delays.
Sure its not that bad but still. Now with Destiny DLC and i think i just wait for a lower price and a couple of patches later to get W3.

LilJoka

Why didn't they just turn the graphics down a notch on things like shadows and particle effects to hold 30fps?
Maybe it's because some people say that playing at 24fps is ok. Unfortunate for the console market as fps expectations are so divided.

The quicker people realise that both versions are unplayable the better for your consoles future.

Javin98

Banned
I think in this case I would prefer the the version with a capped frame rate. I haven't watched the video, but the PS4 version doesn't drop too much, does it? Are drops below 26 often? Also, is it confirmed that the PS4 version has 8x AF? This would be the first time the PS4 version of the game has better AF if so, unless there are others I'm forgetting.

OCD Guy

Why didn't they just turn the graphics down a notch on things like shadows and particle effects to hold 30fps?
Maybe it's because some people say that playing at 24fps is ok. Unfortunate for the console market as fps expectations are so divided.

Before these new consoles were released some people were claiming 1080p and 60fps would be standard.

I always knew that the push would be for eye candy first and framerate would be secondary.

I wish 60fps would be a standard and devs would just get the graphics as good as they could while maintaining the framerate.

For me personally framerate is the most important thing in a game.

Top Bottom