• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

c0de

There are also a number of people who are perfectly happy with a product until someone tells them it has issues.

I really wonder just how many people fall in to each category.

Add to this the amount of people who change their attitude depending on how the version for their system performs :)

LilJoka

Which ran unlocked at 900p/locked 1080p and was multiplatform? Sure :)

Point was devs could easily back off the graphics to get 30fps. Instead you get a slightly better looking game but has long dips below 30. Defending it only does you more harm.

Why does the PS4 version lock to 20fps in cutscenes if it drops below 30pfs but in gameplay hover around 25fps, should it not lock to 20fps there also? Are cutscenes and gameplay handled differently or am I reading it the wrong way?

Also why the XB1 version isnt just locked to 30fps is beyond me, I haven't notice a lot of stutter but it's there no doubt.

ive never in my life heard of such a thing. it must be a bug. no other real explanation

it is odd that it locks, thought at first it should jump back to 30fps if the next frames come out well, but nah it locks down to 20fps. which is just odd. Has to be a bug. No way that is a design decision.

Majanew

Banned
Looks like the game was in development hell. Good job, CDPR, on making me pass on your game. I'm not supporting this.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
After drop PS4 caps at 20? And why is Xbox One not locked at 30. This is one weird technical decisions.

BokehKing

Banned
Sounds like we should just be happy we got this game because... it sounds from the article it is way too ambitious for consoles.

PulseONE

Yup, I've seen the slowdown on PS4, thankfully (at least so far) it's only been in cutscenes and for a short duration

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Damn, dropped to the teens around the 1 minute mark. I hate to say this, but they should've gone with 900p on the PS4, then maybe upped the res with a later patch instead of fixing the frame rate later as I'm sure that's coming.
900p on ps4 is marketing suicide. Itvwould have been ripped apart. I think we will see bad framerate become the norm the more they push. Unless someone has the balls to do the drop

Sounds like we should just be happy we got this game because... it sounds from the article it is way too ambitious for consoles.

Not ambitious, but some people have expectations set way too high.

I think we will see bad framerate become the norm the more they push. Unless someone has the balls to do the drop

So PS4 owners are happy with a flaky frame-rate as long as the resolution is always 1080p?

That makes absolutely no sense to me other than 'hey, at leasts it's sharper'.

KORNdoggy

900p on ps4 is marketing suicide. Itvwould have been ripped apart. I think we will see bad framerate become the norm the more they push. Unless someone has the balls to do the drop

you mean like assassins creed unity or BF4/hardline? it's not like it's going to trigger some sort of universal dropping of resolution across all games in development...lol. it'll be a case by case situation. much like now. if they can afford 1080p while maintaining visual fidelity, they'll have it. if not, they'll drop it.

c0de

Point was devs could easily back off the graphics to get 30fps. Instead you get a slightly better looking game but has long dips below 30. Defending it only does you more harm.

Slightly better? And what does harm me? This is even funnier than the last thread :)

I don't remember last gen games performing any better, tbh.

Yeah, many devs seem to think its fine for console games to operate in a 20-30fps window. A new system won't change anything unless the performance of said system far exceeds all the aspects that go into making the game at the time.

mario_O

Damn, dropped to the teens around the 1 minute mark. I hate to say this, but they should've gone with 900p on the PS4, then maybe upped the res with a later patch instead of fixing the frame rate later as I'm sure that's coming.

It seems like it's just a bug in cutscenes. In DF's video gameplay looks fine on PS4, it stays at 30fps almost all the time, with some minor dips to 28-29.

I think DF are just being overly dramatic..

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
ive never in my life heard of such a thing. it must be a bug. no other real explanation

it is odd that it locks, thought at first it should jump back to 30fps if the next frames come out well, but nah it locks down to 20fps. which is just odd. Has to be a bug. No way that is a design decision.
Thankyou! I thought I was going mad, it has to be a bug, no way thats intentional.

No noticeable problems wit frames on PS4. Love the game
I played for one hour and it didn't bother me att all. Some cutscenes had some stuttering but overall was a smooth experience for me. Console gamers expecting this high demanding games to run over 30fps is starting to get annoying. If you want top graphics and framerate get the scorpion out of the pocket and buy a pc. The Witcher 3 on consoles looks beautiful and runs just fine

Ape

Banned
really happy I'll be playing this game on PC. the games larger in scope have already surpassed what the consoles are capable of, so I can feel the frustration some of you might have.

It isn't even 2 years since the launch of these budget boxes and we are getting 20 fps games on them for AAA releases. Sucks for single platform owners.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
you mean like assassins creed unity or BF4/hardline? it's not like it's going to trigger some sort of universal dropping of resolution across all games in development...lol. it'll be a case by case situation. much like now. if they can afford 1080p while maintaining visual fidelity, they'll have it. if not, they'll drop it.

Are you saying those games didn't get ripped apart, even on this very forum, for being 900p on ps4?

In my belief a game gets ripped for being 900p on ps4 and most devs wouldn't want to get that kind of heat

They need to lock the xbox version to 30 asap and maybe get the variable resolution on ps4 in my opinion

I've been playing this game on PS4 for the past two days since the digital release... the game has some hiccups but they do not deter from the experience for me at all. I've seen really bad drops in console games i.e. Bloodborne, TW3 never goes there. It does have a long load time when you die though, that's pretty annoying.

BibiMaghoo

Locking at 20 for any point is terrible. I would much rather it was unlocked below 30 at all times. If it can't meet the lock point, don't fucking lower the lock, open it.

Angel_DvA

Glad I go PC on this one and I probably will for all massive single player experience too, so much for the Console = PC version I have read everywhere.

JordanKZ

For what it's worth, these same framerate drops during cutscenes appear on the PC too. Perhaps cutscenes use different models, or post processing? Either way, I had mine drop to below 20 fps during a particular scene for a few seconds.

I've been playing this game on PS4 for the past two days since the digital release... the game has some hiccups but they do not deter from the experience for me at all. I've seen really bad drops in console games i.e. Bloodborne, TW3 never goes there. It does have a long load time when you die though, that's pretty annoying.
Exactly. Bloodborne it not as demanding as this game and framerate issues are fat more noticeable... Everybody praised Bloodborne for the game and from games did not get hammered

pager99

Solid performance from ps4 as it holds 30 most of the time with minor dips I hope they patch xboxone as that would be excellent if they could lock it

ISee

For what it's worth, these same framerate drops during cutscenes appear on the PC too. Perhaps cutscenes use different models, or post processing? Either way, I had mine drop to below 20 fps during a particular scene for a few seconds.

Same here. I am on "locked" 60 fps but in some cutscenes the fps drops down to ~27ish.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Im certain that CDPR can patch both console versions to offer a smoother experience. It is not ideal as it is now, but it's really not as big a deal as this thread would make one believe.

I know no one would probably care but I should mention that this game also sends my PS4's fans into an almost constant high-RPM spin IE: it makes you PS4 loud as fuck almost constantly because the engine is clearly putting in some damn work.

Even my wife commented on how loud the system was last night and that was with the volume turned up

Almost tempted to just pick up the XB1 version due to it always being the quieter system.... almost :p

cgcg

DF is really reaching here. They are trying to convey that drop from 30 to 29 fps on ps4 is just as bad as the constant stuttering effect of the x1 version and that is just bullshit. 30 to 29 is not perceptable to the eyes and doesn't cause judder where the same spot you can see constant judders on the x1 version.

"25 fps lurges" when it only happened once. They are just playing words to create false impressions.

So in the end..... both console versions have their problems. But still the war goes on
"My dad can kick your dad's ass. Eat shit...your dad can't keep up, he's slower when shits counts! Fuck you!" ...hehe

Catdaddy

Notice this during the griffin encounter, so far that's been my only noticeable drop (but I'm not the best at spotting small drops).

jiiikoo

Banned
I know no one would probably care but I should mention that this game also sends my PS4's fans into an almost constant high-RPM spin IE: it makes you PS4 loud as fuck almost constantly because the engine is clearly putting in some damn work.

Even my wife commented on how loud the system was last night and that was with the volume turned up

Almost tempted to just pick up the XB1 version due to it always being the quieter system.... almost :p

I haven't noticed my PS4 being any louder than usual, except the times when the disc spins because this is the first game I have on disc.

Aceofspades

Banned
I urge everyone to look at the framerates video posted by DF.

PS4 rarely drop a single frame during gameplay and 99% locked 30 fps.
some cutscenes seem to suffer a certain bug that drop frames to mid teens at the beginning.

Performance is really impressive on PS4,its also good on X1 if not for the stuttering, variable framerates and 900p.

KORNdoggy

Are you saying those games didn't get ripped apart, even on this very forum, for being 900p on ps4?

oh, i don't doubt it. i'm simply saying it won't be a case of one dev having the balls to drop the framerate. because it's already happened. and games are still largely 1080p. as long as performance isn't effected to the point of being worse then the xbone, PS4 will be 1080p. the only way i see games being largely 900p is when visuals take an even bigger priority and even the xbone needs to drop to 720 to maintain that vision.

panda-zebra

Banned

Not seen here. Some games can do this, this isn't one of them for me. Oddly, it's only been Ether One that's done it recently.

Lol levels of complaints are reaching the noise of the PS4 fans... Seriously switch because of such minor issue?

And I doubt this will change going forward, irrespective of the hardware. Some devs will always choose better graphics over a completely locked frame rate, and who can blame them. If it's not a racing game, platformer or shooter, I think rare drops with better visuals is actually often preferable. Better visuals are there with you for the entire game, rare drops are just that, rare.

No idea how rare frame rate drops in W3 are yet mind. Waiting on more combat orientated stress tests.

For sure it won't change, developers will always push the picture on the box (as it ever was). It's not a massive problem for me, even though I'd rather it was fr/controller response before graphics, I'm not going to write off my hobby if that doesn't happen all the time.

And I agree, rare drops are not problems - and games like Bangai-o at 60fps during a 400MAX just wouldn't be the same. Once upon a time slowdowns meant 'EPIC SHIT IS HAPPENING, PROCESSOR CAN'T TAKE IT!', and I kind of love that.

Imagine Space Invaders at 1080/60, the invaders would never speed up as you whittled them down: game ruined.

Why wouldn't they use triple buffering?

It was my worst event in Hyper Sports, I'm not surprised they avoid it.

I think it's the same people who keeps saying 30 fps is "smooth"
laugh.gif

No-drops perfectly paced 30fps is smooth.

Top Bottom