• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hopefully they will, I just think DF always find a way to give the PS4 the nod no matter what - just my opinion

That name, that comment... I can't..

yEOIg.gif

Weren't people here bitching about Richard Leadbetter always finding a way to knock the PS4 or something to that effect? Lol

BibiMaghoo

Of course, my good man, of course.

It's almost always accusations of Xbox bias around here so seeing the opposite definitely makes me chuckle. :p

You are the Bias, you Sony / Mircosoft fanboy. How dare you chose one over the other in a technical discussion that can only have one winner. You will get my clicks no more*

checks every article that comes out after post

shandy706

PS4 locks to 20fps at times....what in the world?!

They need to add an unlock option to PS4 and a lock option to X1, lol.

So how many people realized they were seeing 20fps on PS4?

Edit** The darn PC version I'm playing was crashing constantly on launch day. Thankfully I seem to figured out a fix on day 2...I was considering a console version purchase rental for a bit there.

statham

sounds like PS4 may need some Dynamic Resolution. Both systems sounds like they need performance/bug patches.

KORNdoggy

PS4 locks to 20fps at times....what in the world?!

Edit** The darn PC version I'm playing was crashing constantly on launch day. Thankfully I seem to figured out a fix on day 2...I was considering a console version purchase for a bit there.

only in cut-scenes.

are people actually reading the DF article?

Chobel

PS4 locks to 20 at times....what in the world?!

People don't read DF articles and comment in this thread....what in the world?!

They need to read DF article and watch the comparison video, lol

How many people realized they can read the OP?

shandy706

only in cut-scenes.

Yeah, I caught that. I didn't say anything about it being gameplay in my comment ;) :p. Drops still seem to be well into the 20's though. I don't think there's a good reason for the PS4 to be dropping into the 20's in a similar fashion (or worse) to the X1 though. Some patches will hopefully help in both directions.

KORNdoggy

sounds like PS4 may need some Dynamic Resolution. Both systems sounds like they need performance/bug patches.

i'm not sure it needs that tbh. it's not a rock solid 30fps, but the fluctuations are rare and slight. the main thing PS4 needs is a fix for the bug which is causing the framerate to drop to 20fps in cutscenes. the xbone needs a lock option though, i agree.

Journey

Banned
only in cut-scenes.

Problem is, if we remove cut-scenes from the equation, XB1 wins. The stutter issue on XB1 only happens during cutscenes, meanwhile during gameplay performance never drops under 30 whereas the PS4 drops down to 25fps during gamplay, worse during cutscenes but with no stuttering. Pick your poison. For me cutscene stuttering could be distracting, but framerate during gameplay is always king overall. Both versions need patching and I'm sure will be addressed eventually since neither is to far from a good target.

Putty

AANNDD i'm back 8)

PLaying PS4 version. Runs very well indeed. Only dips i've seen we're against the Griffin. My complaints are actually with the controls and camera.

Loudninja

I am confused I am not seeing it locked at 20 FPS in the cutscenes in the vid.

Yeah the framerate is not good for them but its not locked at 20.

Problem is, if we remove cut-scenes from the equation, XB1 wins. The stutter issue on XB1 only happens during cutscenes, meanwhile during gameplay performance never drops under 30 whereas the PS4 drops down to 25fps during gamplay, worse during cutscenes but with no stuttering. Pick your poison. For me cutscene stuttering could be distracting, but framerate during gameplay is always kings overall.

did you even read the article?

xbone stutters during gameplay as well, not only during cutscenes.

KORNdoggy

Problem is, if we remove cut-scenes from the equation, XB1 wins. The stutter issue on XB1 only happens during cutscenes, meanwhile during gameplay performance never drops under 30 whereas the PS4 drops down to 25fps during gamplay, worse during cutscenes but with no stuttering. Pick your poison. For me cutscene stuttering could be distracting, but framerate during gameplay is always kings overall.

except xbone has larger fluctuations during gameplay which is causing an almost constant judder. PS4 drops lower, but ultimately produces a smoother, and more consistent framerate. hence:

"though PS4 is capable of smoother passages of play at times. When it comes to performance, and factoring in the game's superior 1920x1080 output, Sony's hardware is a preference"

the same was true for infamous. unlocked framrates tend to cause more problems then they're worth

Chobel

Why do I have the feeling this is a trap? The stutter also happens also in gameplay.

pager99

Problem is, if we remove cut-scenes from the equation, XB1 wins. The stutter issue on XB1 only happens during cutscenes, meanwhile during gameplay performance never drops under 30 whereas the PS4 drops down to 25fps during gamplay, worse during cutscenes but with no stuttering. Pick your poison. For me cutscene stuttering could be distracting, but framerate during gameplay is always king overall. Both versions need patching and I'm sure will be addressed eventually since neither is to far from a good target.
i think you need to read the article it stutters during gameplay too

Why do I have the feeling this is a trap? The stutter also happens also in gameplay.

And it's a constant stutter... always reminding you your game is not running like it should. It's SOOOOOOOO annoying. I played more last night and it's really upsetting because the game is awesome. Animations are weird at times, though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was entertaining the idea of transferring my Witcher 3 Bone preorder to another game, and going PS4. But after reading this, neither sounds like a clear winner, so I'm just going to pick up my Bone copy tonight.

Looking forward to finally playing it!

Game seems like a hot mess on consoles. Slopping FPS and LOD issues abound.

If you told me a year ago that Dragon Age Inquisition would look better and perform better then Witcher 3 I would have laughed at you but here we are....

I was entertaining the idea of transferring my Witcher 3 Bone preorder to another game, and going PS4. But after reading this, neither sounds like a clear winner, so I'm just going to pick up my Bone copy tonight.

Looking forward to finally playing it!

I'd recommend people wait a couple months and see what future performance patches do. I bought digital and won't ask for refund since I got a refund recently for another game.

If you told me a year ago that Dragon Age Inquisition would look better and perform better then Witcher 3 I would have laughed at you but here we are....

I'm kind of shocked at this too. DA:I had its issues, but no major performance ones like TW3.

omonimo

Banned
I wanted to buy the PS4-version in July. Hope that everything is allright then. Game runs fine on most PCs, so why not on next gen consoles?

Can't remember 360 having such problems in 2007.
You have a terrible memory then. Especially in game like this. In a PC with similar specs, runs quite in line with the ps4 if not a little worse so I'm not sure of what you are talking about

Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF
better performance during cutscenes

Xbox one version -
better framerate (predominately because its unlocked)

Did I miss anything?

yes. higher framerate =/= better framerate.

especially if it produces the same effect you're trying to prevent. stutter/judder.

Teletraan1

Banned
They could drop some settings down a notch on both platforms and have a consistent steady 30. They choose not to for some superfluous graphics like shadows and foliage you aren't even going to notice or care about 20 hours in. Dropping below 30 is an embarrassment. On fixed hardware it simply should not happen. It is always the wrong choices for my tastes on console. The biggest reason why I primarily game on PC.

omonimo

Banned
LOL - doesn't sound too clear to me.

Game looks and performs great on the bone.
But it has lower res and worse AF (it seems). And higher fps not means better fps. I'd like to see capped how really works on xbone. No one here said however xbone version it's terrible anyway.

Wavebossa

Before these new consoles were released some people were claiming 1080p and 60fps would be standard.

I always knew that the push would be for eye candy first and framerate would be secondary.

I wish 60fps would be a standard and devs would just get the graphics as good as they could while maintaining the framerate.

For me personally framerate is the most important thing in a game.

I'm right there with you. On my PC, I keep turning up settings until the frame rate drops below 60, then I stop and go back.

I know everyone has their own preference, but low (and varying) framerate absolutely kills gaming experience for me.

Aceofspades

Banned

No, stutter happen everytime you pan the camera, framepacing issue apparent all time during gameplay.

DF gave the nod to PS4 because:

Full HD all-time
Smoother gameplay

Can't you people read the article or the OP?

shandy706

People don't read DF articles and comment in this thread....what in the world?!

They need to read DF article and watch the comparison video, lol

How many people realized they can read the OP?

All 3 of my comments were accurate.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

1st comment is based on 20fps locks during cut-scenes that are in the article. I didn't say it was gameplay (something some seem to be assuming).

2nd comment is based on the fluctuations on both being something we should be able to pick or choose.

3rd comment questioned if those playing noticed the 20fps lock (obviously talking about the moments it does happen). A lot of people noticed right away that PC cut-scenes were off/not 60fps.

;)

omonimo

Banned
They could drop some settings down a notch on both platforms and have a consistent steady 30. They choose not to for some superfluous graphics like shadows and foliage you aren't even going to notice or care about 20 hours in. Dropping below 30 is an embarrassment. On fixed hardware it simply should not happen. It is always the wrong choices for my tastes on console. The biggest reason why I primarily game on PC.
In game like this, with such huge area, it's really, really hard to have locked fps. I think even with the best PC ever you can find some drops below 60 fps in some area.

shandy706

In game like this, with such huge area, it's really, really hard to have locked fps. I think even with the best PC ever you can find some drops below 60 fps in some area. With the maximum setting of course.

This is why they should add the option to lock @30 or Unlock. Options are great, even though you're right that there isn't a ton of overhead. Some is better than none though.

It's in the PC build as Unlimited/30/60.

I have massive overhead, so 30 never waivers. 60 doesn't really waiver either unless you shove the camera into Geralt's hair, lol. I went with unlimited as the game is actually running in the 60-70 range.

XB1 can't catch a break on DF, it seems even if the XB1 version was locked at 30fps they would probably still give it to the PS4 because of higher res

Who cares who the "winner" is in the article. It's pretty obvious it's a similar experience. I don't think you "lose" no matter which copy you get.

Piggus

XB1 can't catch a break on DF, it seems even if the XB1 version was locked at 30fps they would probably still give it to the PS4 because of higher res

Why would that be an issue? Regardless, it doesn't sound like you understand what the actual problem is here...

My PC runs this game at the settings I use at an average of about 80 fps, but leaving the framerate unlocked makes it a juddery mess. I would rather play at a locked 30 fps than an unlocked framerate like that.

Bluenoser

No, stutter happen everytime you pan the camera, framepacing issue apparent all time during gameplay.

DF gave the nod to PS4 because:

Full HD all-time
Smoother gameplay

Can't you people read the article or the OP?

I think this thread proves that 80% of people ignore the OP and related links. So much garbage being posted here.

I'm still in White Orchard so no major issues yet. I did test out the torch effects, and there was an immediate drop in FPS, not sure how much. Torch + rain + bog + enemies would probably bring it down quite a bit.

There are definitely some PS4 performance issues, but nothing that detracts from the game for me so far. I hope CDPR can sort out the obvious 20fps cutscene issue, and make some adjustments to smooth out the experience during play.

Fbh

After reading the article and watching the comparison video:

During gameplay it seems to run decently well on both consoles (number looks pretty similar to Dragon Age Inuisition which I found to run fine on Ps4). But cutscene are all over the place, and that lock to 20fps on PS4 is just weird.

It seems that just like in several other open world games, the difference will come down to resolution vs performance. From the video it looks like if they implement a 30fps limit lock on X1 it will easily have the smoother performance

omonimo

Banned
After reading the article and watching the comparison video:

During gameplay it seems to run decently well on both consoles (number looks pretty similar to Dragon Age Inuisition which I found to run fine on Ps4). But cutscene are all over the place, and that lock to 20fps on PS4 is just weird.

It seems that just like in several other open world games, the difference will come down to resolution vs performance.From the video it looks like if they implement a 30fps limit on X1 it will easily have the smoother performance
It's not so assured how you presume.

Green Yoshi

You have a terrible memory then. Especially in game like this. In a PC with similar specs, runs quite in line with the ps4 if not a little worse so I'm not sure of what you are talking about

A friend of mine has a Radeon HD 5770 and can play the game. This is a five year old GPU. With a PC from 2013 you have a better experience than on PS4. Stable 30 fps should be feasible on PS4 and Xbox One, but let's see how the game runs in two months after more patches.

Why would that be an issue? Regardless, it doesn't sound like you understand what the actual problem is here...

I just don't think DF are consistent in general, they will praise the PS4 for something in one face-off but criticise the XB1 for the same thing in another face-off - its no big deal, i'm not really that bothered to be honest

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does the PS4 version have that awful stuttering that occurs when you pan the camera while moving that's in the PC version?

Bluenoser

I just don't think DF are consistent in general, they will praise the PS4 for something in one face-off but criticise the XB1 for the same thing in another face-off - its no big deal

Like? How about an example?

Does the PS4 version have that awful stuttering that occurs when you pan the camera while moving that's in the PC version?

Yes, but strangely its only at certain speeds. If you pan the camera fast, there's no stutter, and really slow there doesn't seem to be stutter.

demigod

Soooooo....

Playstation 4 version -
better resolution
Less judder/frame pacing
better AF
better performance during cutscenes

Xbox one version -
better framerate (predominately because its unlocked)

Did I miss anything?

And no clear choice just like i expected, so predictable of DF.

DF is really reaching here. They are trying to convey that drop from 30 to 29 fps on ps4 is just as bad as the constant stuttering effect of the x1 version and that is just bullshit. 30 to 29 is not perceptable to the eyes and doesn't cause judder where the same spot you can see constant judders on the x1 version.

Yeah this is bs right there by DF. I've seen their other vs before where there was constant 1fps to 2fps drop and they didnt say it was bad or anything, no mention at all. i bet DF themselves wouldn't notice any 1fps drop without their fps counter.

All 3 of my comments were accurate.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

1st comment is based on 20fps locks during cut-scenes that are in the article. I didn't say it was gameplay (something some seem to be assuming).

2nd comment is based on the fluctuations on both being something we should be able to pick or choose.

3rd comment questioned if those playing noticed the 20fps lock (obviously talking about the moments it does happen). A lot of people noticed right away that PC cut-scenes were off/not 60fps.

;)

People are probably taking issue with your slightly hyperbolic tone. PS4 does not need to be unlocked, they need to work on their "locking" method. Maybe implement triple buffering, adaptive v-sync, etc.

Top Bottom