• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

leeh

Well let's be clear, these changes aren't in the same world as a Zen upgrade. It's nice (and in fact basically required), but not huge or amazing.
Oh yeah, definitely understand that, but it's not like they've slapped in standard cores, uplocked them and called it a day.

We've got improvements which actually benefit them in a good way.

I tought we were supposed to be surprised by the specs?

Honestly, that's why I'm disappointed about the specs reveal today. I was lead to believe the specs were upgraded much more than last year.

I happy to see that Scropio does system wide sampling, 16x anisotropic and upgrades for 360 games.

Brofield

PS4Pro is $500 CDN.

Scorpio I don't see going below $550, likely $600 CDN.

I mean, I'll cheer for the console on behalf of my friend, but I hope MS sincerely took the time to throw money at first party development too that can take advantage of the SoC from the ground up, as opposed to porting Forza with upscaling enhancements.

Go_Ly_Dow

Being just an extension of the current-gen, I'll pass on this as I already have that area covered. I'm also a few years away of having a set that would take advantage of 4k native gaming offered in this or the PS5.

TyrantII

Some people seem to be down on specs...but reading the article DF seems to suggest the system is punching well above its weight and the PC space needs to catch up to consoles in figuring out how to really get the most out of their components.

I don't really care what the specs and numbers are as long as it delivers. Whatever wizardy it is, is fine by me. Like Horizon on the pro.

Don't get people wrong, this thing is going to make some pretty games.

The problem is, some people were looking for this to fix the issues that popped up this gen on both consoles. Being a refresh, it's simply not going to do that.

This console would run HZD better than Sony machine. It also can't run it at 4k native and 60fps. Some people were looking for the latter.

Rad-

If they are saving the price announcement for E3 there is no way it will be $499.99. There is no way Phil Spencer wants to stand on that stage and say $499 ever again.

These specs are worth 499 though. XO's problem was that it wasn't worth 499 spec wise.

Historically, the more powerful consoles haven't been the more successful ones. It would be interesting to test with Scorpio if that has changed and to what degree the PS4's relative success over the XB1 is due to the specs or other factors.
You know exactly what the other factors are. Even the DF guy mentions the one thing the PS4 does better at the end of the Eurogamer vid.

RowdyReverb

The term you are looking for is "sponsored content".

It technically is a form of marketing, but based on facts. It's sponsored content from MS and DF is benefiting from the deal by having exclusivity over the official tech dump. It's hard data, but sounds mostly like something written for a Press Release.

Plus, the bump is there, but it's basically the same as the jump from PS4 to the Pro. The RAM will do a good lot, but my guess is that anything patched out for Scorpio will focus more on 4k than solid 60fps. I'm also not expecting 4k60 on this thing unless they make some concessions. Even with the larger RAM pool, faster RAM, and larger GPU, the CPU holds it back.

It's good jump, but not the stellar leap that I think a lot of people in this thread claim it to be.
You're saying the leap from Xbox One to Scorpio is the same as the leap from PS4 to PS4 Pro?

Elandyll

Banned
I don't see how this isn't $499.
Granted it has customizations, but we're talking about an OC Jaguar and (massively) OC 40CU GPU. There is also 12Gb of Gddr5, but imo $499 would be a hard pill to swallow tbh, when the Pro (yes, not a *true* 4K machine) will possibly hit $299.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
What I like with this info is that MS seems to be tapping their internal expertice/other Groups, to make a cool HW. A bit like the good old Days of OG XBox.

I like the custom stuff and the attention of removing bottlenecks and latency.
All these extra efforts makes the specs even better. Basically, they can do more with what they have..

Great job!
Now, can we hope for a cool design as well?

But eventually, we need the games...

It looks like a good upgrade spec wise. And I am sure when more games are shown more people will see it as a worthy upgrade.

Once a console hits past $400, it's a tough sell. Regardless of how premium it is.

Good job Microsoft overall imo

Chobel

DAY MOTHERF@&KING ONE!

Where do I pre-order?

Phil Spencer, I love you.

xxx

Of course you do
I am currently of the opinion that Phil Spencer deliberately low-balled the specs on the reveal last E3.

It will be more than 6Tflops and more than we have been led to believe in all other areas. Purely so that it would be a MEGATON reveal tomorrow. I mean, if it is as they said at E3 then there's not much news is there? We have sat on that info for almost 12 months and now it's time to blow our minds with the real specs.

I think this could, maybe, be a full next gen console. I mean, it's not impossible.

Phil wants to make his mark, and this would cement him in gaming history.

Regardless of the CPU, that's very impressive. The fact hat they had forza running the way it did was amazing. I mean there was still 30% gay usage to use.

And wow if they think it will hit $499. I'd still buy it.

vivekTO

So it's exactly what we basically knew since last year.
Which is an incremental improvement on PS4 Pro, which is an incremental improvement on PS4.

Exciting.

Are you surprised by some tech Talk regarding the Scorpio?? like something catches your eye??

00ich

Disappointed it isn't Zen...but DX12 implementation reducing CPU load by over 50% is kind of a big deal no??

My take: For developers, as soon as they ignore the original Xbox One they can have the same PC code run better on the console. They skip the optimization then. I don't see standard DX12 code run better than current optimized code.

marmoka

Banned
I don't understand much about the specs, but I would say a new gen begins with Scorpio. I wouldn't be surprised if they presented exclusive games in E3. Forgive my ignorance.

And if it's not a new gen, then lets call it 8.75, being PS4 Pro 8.5.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Sony presents PS5 in 2018 or 2019. All these upgraded versions (New 3DS, PS4 Pro and Scorpio) make everything pretty confusing.

mazillion

Really curious to see what kind of serious optimizations a huge company like Microsoft can pull off for these games.

Seems like this is just as much about increasing efficiency as it is increasing power. I have been wanted to see this happen ever since the announcement of DX12 (and Vulcan too).

ISee

Good job Microsoft. Sounds like a strong mid gen jump. I'm still a bit in doubt about those DX12 cpu hardware implementations BUT we'll see (sounds a bit like PR talk).
Especially the better support for older titles (pre scorpio) out of the box is very cool. Welcome back to relevance, even at 499€.

Probably the guy downplaying the video, calling it an advertisement, and trying to convince people not to buy it?

You know, you. That is concern trolling. Me not owning any Xbox products is because they failed to convince me to choose a One over the PS4. I held off on PS4 Pro to see what Scorpio would be like.

Stop derailing.

Which is a great deal for you, but I have a very different concern. And video is a waste of time until they compare actual multiplatform games running on Pro vs Scorpio. Specs is all that matters until that happens.

i'm not a PC gamer savy guy so: does this mean scorpio is close to the top of the line?

Yes and no. If PC games were as well-optimized as console games, then they would continue to blow consoles out of the water. But this isn't easy, considering the sheer amount of potential hardware floating out there.

But for consoles, this blows away the PS4 Pro and, if Eurogamer is to be believed, showcases a high level of console design we haven't seen in quite some time, and one Sony can't match anytime soon.

Of course, this all means s*** if there are no games to play on the Scorpio...

Ash735

Forced 16xAF is a brilliant move, the Xbox One was already beating the PS4 in texture filtering because devs seem to forget it exists and turn it on for PS4/Pro, now on Xbox Scorpio they don't even need to think about it and it solves that issues of textures blurring because devs use basic filtering.

Outrun

2 skus would be nice.

I got 4 X1 controllers, one of which is an Elite.

Got a Kinect.

Give me a simple and cheaper solution MS.

Zedark

That's quite an impressive story. I'm especially interested in how they managed to integrate DX12 into the CPU processing. That sounds like veritable magic.

oti

Banned
Do I want this if I game at 1080?

Depends. In theory yes, absolutely. This is the best console on the market and developers should use all the power, not just for 4K TV owners. If you want the best version of a game, Scorpio should be the way to go. But in reality, who knows.

Top Bottom