• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

leeh

Yes, but let's be realistic for a second...

Sony has been going on and on about GPGPU, and offloading CPU tasks to the GPU since the initial PS4 reveal..and it has certainly helped developers (mostly first party) do things that wouldn't have been able to do without it..it hasn't been Earth shattering...

Of course Scorpio will be able to do it to a further extent than either OG PS4 or Pro, that goes without saying..let's not pretend that all of a sudden this thing is gonna perform like a Kaby Lake CPU because it's designed to offload CPU tasks to other hardware
Don't make me out to be pitching this CPU as something it's not. I'm not saying it's Ryzen, I'm not saying it's Kaby Lake.

What I'm saying is that they've customised the CPU to improve it in a substantial way.

The video says it cuts the rendering pipeline workload down by 50%. That's without the other customisations.

iswasdoes

It's starting to feel like it's always a bad time to buy a new console because there's always something brand new around the corner.

Exactly, which is why im not sure what the audinece is for this. If I bought xbox one day one, maybe? But if I bought any machine in the last 3 years id be like, fuck it ill wait for the next one.

Colbert

Banned
My personal verdict: Overachieved my expectations on the GPU side of things and on par what was hoping for CPU improvements. Especially as the CPU is offloaded to a major degree to the GPU itself. Glad they mad the CPU a custom design to meet the requirements they have set themselves even it is not Zen based!

Most importantly I am super happy that existing games will all be able to use the full power of the console to reach their target resolutions and frames locked.

I will definitely will be an owner of that console!

geordiemp

Because this system is designed to last. A lot of thought went into this thing. It's going to be all I need for at least another 5-6 years.

Nope, I have 2 ps4 pro, interested in Scorpio, but the next gen starts when we get an I5 class CPU or better as standard for more enemies, more AI and more things happening in games at 60 FPS.

MS have done an optimal job with the technology available to them for a console price, thats for sure.

However, wake me up when a ZEN console comes out that COULD run Witcher 3 at 60 FPS.

shandy706

How so? Clearly HZD looks better than anything my 1080 6700K PC machine can deliver.

No..no it doesn't.

I have HZD and I have a 980ti Classified/i7 7700 system. My PC pushes far better LOD and texture resolution in games. Don't confuse art/design for capabilities.

Lemondish

Now microsoft needs to knock it out of the park at E3. New games and new IPs. And I do mean NEW games. Not games we already know about from third parties that they just pay to own. I mean actually generate a plethora of new games.

They also need to release those games, not silently cancel them 6 months down the line.

And then follow that up with a second E3 with NEW games and NEW IPs.

One year of getting it right isn't enough. At least for me. Is it for others?

jelly

Proof in the pudding. Let's see how the games look and perform. I like what I'm hearing with focus on balance and getting the most out of it but it also verges on special sauce at the moment. Not saying it won't deliver but let's see the games.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So it's exactly what we basically knew since last year.
Which is an incremental improvement on PS4 Pro, which is an incremental improvement on PS4.

Exciting.
I can just see that excitement of yours just oozing through my screen, Durante. Please keep it in your pants, lmao.

shanew21

Super smart of them to go custom jaguar while building compute nodes to offload processes. You make back compat far easier while also reducing CPU loads. 50% lower CPU loads than Xbox One on DX12 titles? That's huge.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It's interesting and pointless that they're comparing Scorpio to PS4 Pro in their specs when Sony has already said that the Pro isn't their next-gen system, while MS is already pushing Scorpio as their successor to Xbone. PS5 specs when revealed (which I doubt we'll see any specs at all before 2018) will more likely than not exceed what Scorpio is showing....at worst, it will be the same.

Effect

So nothing about actual games in any of this information or examples of how it will actually improve games? Just pure tech talk?

Matt

Oh yeah, definitely understand that, but it's not like they've slapped in standard cores, uplocked them and called it a day.

We've got improvements which actually benefit them in a good way.
Well yes sure, though again hardware additions to improve CPU performance aren't rare (current gen systems already have them). It was never going to be just the CPUs on their own.

But like I said, a definite improvement.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm not a PC gamer savy guy so: does this mean scorpio is close to the top of the line?

Scorpio is using an update jaguar CPU which is no where near what an i5-i7 can do on PC. the GPU is 6TF. my GPU (1070) that I bought in june last year is 6.5TF at stock speeds.

it's pretty damn impressive for a console to be honest but nowhere near a top of the line PC. We now have Titan X + 1080 Ti's which are much more powerful than a 1070.

longdi

Banned
So it's exactly what we basically knew since last year.
Which is an incremental improvement on PS4 Pro, which is an incremental improvement on PS4.

Exciting.

Basically this. Was expecting at least Vega and HBM2, with all that under current hyping.

Guys, Scorpio is not coming now, Scorpio did not came last Nov. Its coming Q4 this year. Yeah, its like hyping iPhone 8 will be better than 7.

I mean its still using Polaris(last year's) and Jaguar.

Widge

How many ps4pro games are native 4k, let alonr, 4k 60fps.

I'll go for Gran Turismo Sport, as it is much easier to deliver a graphically lush experience at high framerates on something like a driving game (nice controlled and restricted environment) than it is on something like a forthcoming Red Dead Redemption.

redfirm

Banned
this thing is a monster! but, xbox just doesnt have the games to back it up. now all we can do is wait till e3. still i think its impossible for them to deliver first party titles like sony is doing right now, maybe next gen?

BpoxpbIgKi-phil-gon-give-it-to-ya-scorpio-12gb-ddr5.gif

I'm really curious to see what the final pricing will be on this. Microsoft staying quiet for the time being could be good or bad news honestly.

Either the pricing is high, and they didn't want the discussion to be just about that, or.... the pricing is in line with what it should be ($399) and they want to "wow" people come E3. I'll get it regardless, but I'm not sure they can justify $499 based solely on power. If it's coming at that price, I think most would expect a big focus on exclusive games.

KORNdoggy

Yeah, and forza 6 is still an impressive looking xbox one game. 1080 and a solid 60fps with 24 cars. It's incredible that scorpio pushes it to 4k 60fps with power to spare.....all in 2 days.

How thr fuck is this not impressive to some? How many ps4pro games are native 4k, let alonr, 4k 60fps.

it's only a res boost to 4k, it's not exactly mind blowing to look at. but then i'm pretty cynical of 4k in general, i find it to be a huge waste of power.

New002

Where did you read that?

I may be misinterpreting this but that's what I got out of this:

The bottom line is that Scorpio's six teraflops will almost certainly go a lot further than an equivalent PC part.

The bottom line: PC games need to evolve to more efficiently address 4K, in order to bring down the cost of GPU hardware to effectively and consistently power an ultra HD screen with the latest games. The best console titles have led the way here, and it's a tradition we expect to see continue on Project Scorpio. If third-party games live up to the first-party results we have seen, where 900p and 1080p games scale up to native 4K, the comparisons with PC hardware will prove absolutely fascinating. If Scorpio's GPU can hold native 4K and hand in results on par or better than GTX 1070, this is a seriously good result for a console.

Probably more on this in the article but at work and on mobile so just had to skim for what I remembered.

emjot

What kind of cooling system does PS4 Pro use?

I need this to be much quieter, XBO level of quiet at best. Is this reasonable to expect?

Well that was pretty much what I expected down to an improved/refined version of Jaguar (okay thought maybe they'd go the Puma+ route but whatever) and that's some nice DX12 based improvements and yeah, customization be damned $399.99 or bust on this but $449.99 is pretty much the absolute maximum IMO if MS feels they can get away with it. I'm kinda sorta expecting Sony to cut the Pro's price at E3 so that it's $100 less than Scorpio (if not an outright drop to $299.99) or some major bundling and discounts in the Fall to happen.

Outrun

Which is a great deal for you, but I have a very different concern. And video is a waste of time until they compare actual multiplatform games running on Pro vs Scorpio. Specs is all that matters until that happens.

Enough of this nonsense.

You knew what today was going to be about. You don't need to be clairvoyant to understand that this machine is superior to the Pro.

You are going to be concerned until after the release then? Because you are not getting any multiplatform head to heads.

Scorpio is using an update jaguar CPU which is no where near what an i5-i7 can do on PC. the GPU is 6TF. my GPU (1070) that I bought in june last year is 6.5TF at stock speeds.

it's pretty damn impressive for a console to be honest but nowhere near a top of the line PC. We now have Titan X + 1080 Ti's which are much more powerful than a 1070.

I see..well, still I am expecting it to be a huge improvement over Ps4 pro's capabilities

Chittagong

Gold Member
Come on now, a spec bumped PS4 Pro a year later won't be any more than $399. Hell, Pro might be at $349 or even $299 for Christmas

MikeBison

I usually buy all consoles in a gen but have yet to jump in on xbox this gen. Got a ps4pro and 4k at launch and this is more like the upgrade I wished the ps4pro would be.

Having said that, games are where consoles live and die and everything MS has been doing in the last few years has turned me off where as Sony are killing it with the exclusives and new experiences, feels like the PS2 era when it comes to japanese games.

Can't see this console changing that for MS. This'll just make Forza, Gears etc look incredible. Great for those into those franchises. Look forward to seeing just what this thing can do.

Top Bottom