• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Can some one explain it to me better. Seems the improvement for older game are more or less the same way as PS4 Pro? and they're definitely still using some sort of Jaguar chip variance?

Isnt this exactly the same as PS4 Pro? whats the difference?

No way. The extra ram, the higher clocks, better cooling(by the sound of it), all of these things are designed around a reasonable increase in performance. It's basically a value priced gaming rig. The PS4 Pro is as well. When it launched, which will have been 1 year prior to the launch of this machine, it as well was a value priced gaming rig for the parts available. But in terms of performance, with the parts in here, the performance should be reasonably noticeable.

• 36 CU vs 40
  • 2.1Ghz vs 2.3
  • 8GB GDDR5 v 12
  • 1 year after the Pro's launch.

I know they have some kind of dedicated chip that handles Direct x12 functions, but i just dont see it going over $399 with those specs. RAM is the only thing that got a major upgrade but again, Sony had 8GB GDDR5 RAM 4 years ago in a $399 box. It's not that hard to believe that 12GB can be included in a $399 box along with a jaguar CPU and a 480x that retailed for $200 last year.

Now if it had a zen CPU or a Nvidia GPU then we might be looking at $499. Right now, it's basically the PS4 Pro with higher clocks and better cooling tech.

But have you seen the video?! /sarcasm

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Not at all. It basically iterates on bump PS4 Pro got. Kind of Like a Pro version of the PS4 Pro. It's a bump, but it's not a massive one.

PS4 Pro to Scorpio is a larger gap than Xbox One to PS4

and I quite remember people suggesting the void between the two was "massive"

Really floored about this console.

Ms indeed had lots of tricks under its sleeve.

And running Forza 6 at 4k60fps with improved assets using with only 55-65% of gpu utilization and that's on a 2 day port without any optmization is amazing.

I wish they'd show the GPU usage at 1080p on a regular Xbone for that specific Forza shot, too.

Considering Forza is locked to 60 FPS, I'm pretty sure the GPU usage on Xbone is also closer to 70% than 99% a lot of the time.

Nice marketing trick, regardless.

Had a meeting during the reveal, EG site is down, anyone willing to catch me up on the following points:

* Is Scorpio more than just an Xbox one Pro (with the OG -> Pro gap simply being bigger than with PS4)
* Have any new games been revealed?
* Any details on VR?
* Name / Release date / price?

much appreciated if someone could quickly catch me up here.
No - though it's more powerful than a Pro
No
No
No

That's the original Xbox One SOC which was 28nm, Xbox One S and Scorpio are both 16nm Finfet

i know.
when Xbox One was released in 2013, the 28nm process was 2 year old
when Xbox Scorpio will be released in 2017, the 16nm process will be 2 years old

Ps4 Pro Soc is also not much smaller and done on the same 16nm FF process
released in 2016

Carn82

Can some one explain it to me better. Seems the improvement for older game are more or less the same way as PS4 Pro? and they're definitely still using some sort of Jaguar chip variance?

It seems to be 'better done' than the PS4 Pro regarding improvements under the hood, and the GPU looks to be really more powerful. But it also releases a year later and looks to be more expensive than the PS4 Pro. It's mostly marketed at X1 owners who really want the upgrade, or people-with-money-to-spare in general.

cackhyena

lol don't even start. so many people for months have been thinking this is gonna be a next gen console. you all backtracking now?
Look up any of my posts. Don't lump me in with a minority expecting something that was never promised. Cut the shit, guy.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I don't think MS is that dumb. They can just look at the PS3 launch and see that $600 is a laughable price for the mainstream.

I don't think they're aiming this at the mainstream. They biggest tech reveal in 12 months was delivered by a tech-enthusiasts website. Phil has said this is premium and he wasn't lying.

MikeBison

Also I want to see what the thing looks like. I care way more about that in new consoles than specs. Is it beautifully designed? Is it Fugly? I never care, I just need to see new console designs and I love them all like my ugly children for the most part.

TechJunk

Had a meeting during the reveal, EG site is down, anyone willing to catch me up on the following points:

* Is Scorpio more than just an Xbox one Pro (with the OG -> Pro gap simply being bigger than with PS4)
* Have any new games been revealed?
* Any details on VR?
* Name / Release date / price?

much appreciated if someone could quickly catch me up here.

It's more powerful than pro, 12 gb ram, enhanced CPU GPU.
Not same CPU GPU as Xbox One, going more for brute force, games checked for compatibility on a game per game basis, vs Ps4 Pro using higher clock speed CPU but same model. That's what I got from the video.
No new games, I didn't read anything about VR, no price, name or release date other than Fall.
Should be great for older 360 games, XBone games with dynamic resolution.

RX480 vs. GTX1070
Rx480%20vs%201070.jpg

No, just no. That's a horrible website to compare GPUs.

This is more representative of actual performance difference.
uMYKS2i.png

Cleve

Eh. It's a weaker CPU than I expected given the hype. Given xbox anywhere I'm pretty reluctant to pick this up rather than just play stuff on w10

Majine

Banned
What I want to know is if that FPS counter for Forza 6 is consistent.

People who played Forza Horizon 3 on the PC know what I'm talking about.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
  • 36 CU vs 40
  • 2.1Ghz vs 2.3
  • 8GB GDDR5 v 12
  • 1 year after the Pro's launch.

I know they have some kind of dedicated chip that handles Direct x12 functions, but i just dont see it going over $399 with those specs. RAM is the only thing that got a major upgrade but again, Sony had 8GB GDDR5 RAM 4 years ago in a $399 box. It's not that hard to believe that 12GB can be included in a $399 box along with a jaguar CPU and a 480x that retailed for $200 last year.

Now if it had a zen CPU or a Nvidia GPU then we might be looking at $499. Right now, it's basically the PS4 Pro with higher clocks and better cooling tech.

lol

mitchlol

So how does it stack up against my 7600k gtx 1080 and 16gb of ram + gsync monitor? Did Microsoft flip flop or are they still releasing every Xbox exclusive on pc?

Outrun

So Scorpio is basically a 7 billion transistor SoC (the Scorpio Engine) a full-fat Polaris GPU with 40 CUs (PS4 Pro has 36 CUs) that is highly overclocked to hit exactly 6.0 TFLOPs.
Jaguar CPU @ 2.3 GHz.

The big news is full DX12 feature set built into the front-end of the e hardware.

12 GB GDDR5 RAM -384-bit memory bus. 326 GB/sec bandwidth -

8 GB usable for games.

I'll bet it's not going to be a penny over $399.99 which is awesome.

The bolded is what has me excited atm.

Not really, but still pretty damn good. Top line on PC is approaching 11.3TF from nvidia, but even that is a poor metric, as if you do a straight comparison of real world game performance between AMD and Nvidia, nvidia is always far superior.

It's super nitpicky though - you will NEVER get that kind of performance advantage at a reasonable price point when trying to create a console.

Chances are Scorpio will have a reasonable price. Even at $499, assuming GTX 1070 level performance, it's excellent value for money. I've said this with PS4 Pro (which needs a price drop now) but at launch and even at "fauxK checkboarding Vaseline" (hyperbole intended), it was still excellent value for money at launch and quality.
Thanks for the insight, man if it is $500 I'm gonna have to pass perhaps it is a reasonable price like you said but $400 and below is the sweet spot in my opinion for a new video game console

The only stupid thing with PS4 Pro (and just consoles in general) is bullshit marketing. Now MS will talk about "true 4K" which they should because it's actually true, while we have to call PS4 Pro's various resolutions "4K" too, just as we have done with 900P and other "supercharged PC" wonders. Just put out the facts and let everyone have a good ass time already. Marketing is like politics where your just sat there reading between the lines, so it's good to see MS just drop the specs and details (although likely not giving room for DF to go very far in terms of criticism; as with all exclusive product journalism).
yeah I have heard about how the Ps4 pro is not even true 4K or whatever but this one is - for me though what's also important is the fact that the scorpio will include 4K blu ray, which for the purpose of this discussion is largely irrelevant but as a consumer it's really attractive (again hoping it's less than 500)

For the price point, I do think it'll be $399. That would still make it more expensive than Pro this fall, so that line checks out.

Coxy100

Banned
A 12GB monster, with cutting edge liquid cooling and UHD Blu-ray player. I suspect we'll see some seriously impressive visuals from it, but people should be bracing for the pricepoint, because this won't come cheap.

This. But they have to be careful - too expensive and you might as well get a PC...

RootCause

I'm fine with the specs. It's the same idea behind the Pro, but beefier.

The one thing that disappointed me was 360 BC. It seems it will be the same as the Xbox one. Not the "everything will work" as they claimed at e3.

BumRush

Spec sheets and talk in this thread sound good, but it still seems like consistent 4K/60 on a home console is a gen off (e.g. PS5, X2, etc). Is this valid?

Yjynx

Can some one explain it to me better.

Seems the improvement for older game are more or less the same way as PS4 Pro? and they're definitely still using some sort of Jaguar chip variance?

So Scorpio is basically a 7 billion transistor SoC (the Scorpio Engine) a full-fat Polaris GPU with 40 CUs (PS4 Pro has 36 CUs) that is highly overclocked to hit exactly 6.0 TFLOPs.
Jaguar CPU @ 2.3 GHz.

The big news is full DX12 feature set built into the front-end of the hardware.

12 GB GDDR5 RAM -384-bit memory bus. 326 GB/sec bandwidth -

8 GB usable for games.

I'll bet it's not going to be a penny over $399.99 which is awesome.

Is this the correct way for interpreting it?

I'm still having a hard time grasping exactly what the Scorpio is going and trying to be exactly.

6TF is a beefy powerful console no doubt, but the "premium" PC's are already greater than that and will continue to become more powerful. Now with basically all Xbox 1st party and most other games appearing on the PC simultaneously, wouldn't much of the "premium" gamer crowd just opt for the better performing PC to play these games while remaining in the Xbox ecosystem?

The best place to play Playstation exclusive games is on the Pro, but the best place to play Xbox exclusives will probably be the PC.

A 4K/60 machine is enticing, but the Scorpio probably won't be the place where Xbox games play at their best for the crowd that cares deeply about performance.

I'm real interested in how they try to sell this thing going forward.

MikeBison

Show me great games at E3 and I'm down.

Do we really think MS has a tonne of great exclusives that they've managed to keep under-wraps and are close to completion after years of disappointing at E3? Can't see it changing tbh. And anything cool they do have to show off is going to be 18-24 months away.

Ushay

The downplaying in here is cute. Adorable really.

Forza at 4k60 utililising only 60% GPU is nothing short of impressive.

ty_hot

Really good Job. I had a PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS4, PS Vita in the past (currently PS4 + 3ds), so I missed all great Xbox games. At some point I might get the Scorpio, so I can play games from X360, XOne with improved frame rate and in a 4k TV (that I also dont have). I played quite a few PS3 remasters on the PS4 and they felt ok despite looking much worse than PS4 games, so I am fine with playing old games at a higher frame rate and resolution (which I didnt think I would).

The thing is: I just wont buy a new TV in the next 2 years, because I will be moving to another country. By that time, the PS5 will probably be almost out, but it will have few games of interest. Which can make the Scorpio even better: I could get one cheaper (I believe this one will be 500 on launch, and in 2 years 300), while waiting for the first PS5 price drop (a year later?) when it will also have more games.

Marmelade

PS4 Pro to Scorpio is a larger gap than Xbox One to PS4

and I quite remember people suggesting the void between the two was "massive"

PS4 and XBox One both released at the same time with the latter being more expensive while less powerful, not really the same thing

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
No, just no. That's a horrible website to compare GPUs.

This is more representative of actual performance difference.
uMYKS2i.png

Ah. The rest were blocked here where I work. Thanks for that. This shows a pretty good difference. I was wondering how/why they would say it's close in performance to the 1070. I'll have to re-watch the video.

Dynomutt

Impressive. Especially the DX12 implementation and everything appears as it should be. I think many anticipated the feature but the universal super sampling and Dolby Atmos are things I consider pretty cool.

It appears small so I am curious about price.

Something that does make me chuckle is how tech buzz words have become sort of ad buzz words now. SoC, Flops, Clocks etc!

Lima

lol don't even start. so many people for months have been thinking this is gonna be a next gen console. you all backtracking now?

Iditios that have no idea how any of this works have been saying that. You want to be a part of that group?

Ash735

It's essentially what Sony did for the Pro except Microsoft FIXED all the complaints:

- Has a 4k Blu-ray drive
- ALL Games will supersample if using 1080p
- Forced 16x AF eliminates the crappy texture filtering
- It applies these fixes to older games and even Xbox 360 games
- 12GB RAM with 4GB reserved for OS, meaning games get a nice 8GB to play with

If they can get it out for the same price as a Ps4 Pro, Microsoft can eat that loss for a while to get this machine out there.

Top Bottom