• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2022 - Another Great Year For State-of-the-Art Visuals!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

As is customary for the end-of-year holiday break, Digital Foundry is happy to present its picks for the best gaming graphics of 2022. John Linneman and Alex Battaglia take point for this one, offering up their views on how visuals have progressed over the last year - and which titles in particular demonstrate the state of the art.

Honorary:

- The Witcher 3's next-gen patch

Runners up:

- Dying Light 2
- NFS: Unbound
- Fortnite UE5 Update
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Warhammer 40K Darktide
- The Last of Us: Part 1
- Gran Turismo 7

Top 3:

- Portal Ray Tracing
- Callisto Protocol
- Horizon Forbidden West

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ah.......the Fur Awards.

workaholics fer sure GIF
Swag Offset GIF by Migos
Taraji P Henson Swag GIF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Really interesting top 3. I found Horizon to be technically unparalleled but artistically super ugly.

TLOU Part I got my #1 vote this year personally.

Also, telling that Ragnarok didn’t even make the list.
Honestly, Forbidden West was a bigger jump vs Zero Dawn compared to God of War 2018 vs Ragnarok because the 2018 game IMO looked better than Zero Dawn.

Forbidden West is a beautiful game. I'm still amazed by the NPC's.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We're still firmly in that transitional period. None of the games on that list scream; can only be achieved on PS5/SX. They're good looking games still, but other than maybe Forbidden West and A Plague Tale Requiem, none really made me stop to admire the scenery.

2023 doesn't look a whole lot better thus far other than the big one being Spider-Man 2. I suppose I can't forget Dead Space remake either.

Looks like cross-gen will truly end in 2024.

Honestly, Forbidden West was a bigger jump vs Zero Dawn compared to God of War 2018 vs Ragnarok because the 2018 game IMO looked better than Zero Dawn.

Yeah, GOW 2018 looks better than Zero Dawn but Forbidden West looks better than Ragnarok.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hard "not sure" about Callisto Protocol. The graphics still looks like UE 4.x game, well Cross Gen game. It is nice, but really nothing special in my eyes.

Volumetric light tho, that's great.

Neo_game

Portal RT is pretty much a Nvidia exclusive. Never knew about Calisto protocol just watched a small video. I am surprised it made the top 3. DL2 and Requiem I think are pretty good but not optimized. Horizon probably deserves it and I guess the most optimized as well in the list. GT7 IMO is only a small improvement over GTS.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Hard "not sure" about Callisto Protocol. The graphics still looks like UE 4.x game, well Cross Gen game. It is nice, but really nothing special in my eyes.

Volumetric light tho, that's great.
Is there any game on the list that doesn't look cross-gen?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wonder if a good trainer on pc makes the game (Calisto Protocol) more enjoyable. I can't tolerate bad games too much unless they're made easier for me to put up with.

//DEVIL//

I really don’t agree with the number 1 game.

Horizon artistically is a nice game. But imagine it being rendered with the same visuals as A Plague Tale: Requiem, then it would look impressive. I played the game on ps5 and it’s at the end of the day enhanced look ps4 game but it’s still a ps4 game.

The list of the rest is fine. Maybe portal shouldn’t get that mention either as it’s just an rtx showcase

I think people need to go back and play 2018…there is definitively a significant jump in Ragnarok, although not as much as Horizon.

You can tell when look at their faces or some of the armore, especially Sindri’s character model

Last edited:
I really don’t agree with the number 1 game.

Horizon artistically is a nice game. But imagine it being rendered with the same visuals as A Plague Tale: Requiem, then it would look impressive. I played the game on ps5 and it’s at the end of the day enhanced look ps4 game but it’s still a ps4 game.

The list of the rest is fine. Maybe portal shouldn’t get that mention either as it’s just an rtx showcase

The animations are what keep plague tale requiem as a distant second to horizon. They aren’t even in the same league and some of the NPCs flat out look bad

Also, the fact that Horizon looks as good as it does as a huge open world game is another feather in its cap

Last edited:

Salz01

Fortnite U5 should be number one. Everything is so fluid, crisp, clear, bright, and detailed. All running pretty much at 60fps on consoles and PC. Haven’t played Rtx portal, but Callisto runs like ass on consoles, has broken HDR. Horizon, looks good, but compared to U5 it looks worse. IMHO. Horizon doesn’t look as good as the initial reveal, just compare the underwater scenes to what’s in final product.

Markio128

I haven’t played CP yet so can’t really comment on the visuals too much, but I will do once it is on sale.

My personal visual faves this year are HFW and GT7. Post-patch, HFW has the best 60fps visuals I have ever seen in an open-world game - mind-boggling for a cross-gen game. GT7 is also the most visually pleasing racer I’ve ever played - PD just need to improve on the environments for the next GT, but GT7 can still look staggering under the right conditions.

I can understand why GOW:R is not on the list, but I still think it provided some of the most visually arresting scenes this year. Similar story for Elden Ring, but I guess they are looking more at visual tech, than visual art.

solidus12

Here are the PlayStation games that made it in Digital Foundry’s best graphics list over the years

2022: Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
The Last of us Part1

2021: Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal

2020: The last of Us Part2
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon’s Souls
Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales

2019: Death Stranding

2018: God of War
Marvel’s Spider-Man
Shadow of the Colosssus

2017: Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn

PlayStation Studios are really some of the best in the industry in terms of technical prowess.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Callisto's visuals are above most games, especially the character models

This is from gameplay

Qmiu9dd.jpg
Even here those materials on suit does not really look like anything special. I finished the game, it looked nice, but it was nowhere near the level of detail I expected. But that just could be me

Honestly, if open world games this gen peak at the visual quality of Horizon and devs focus their efforts on gameplay/world design/physics/traversal/, etc instead I'd be happy

Thats a tall order for a lot of devs not named rockstar. I will be highly surprised if a lot of third party devs put that much mo cap and work into NPC’s moving forward this gen

damidu

Really interesting top 3. I found Horizon to be technically unparalleled but artistically super ugly.

TLOU Part I got my #1 vote this year personally.

Also, telling that Ragnarok didn’t even make the list.
graphically ragnarok shows its cross-gen roots much much more.

the way horizon looks is kind of a crazy achievement tbh.
considering it being cross gen, open world and with a rock solid performance.
decima is beast of an engine.
wonder how ps5 only expansion will turn out.

scydrex

But but but the top two are cross-gen games?!

Last gen really holding us back huh guys? 🧐
Does this year games look better than Demon Souls or any other exclusive to this gen? Which games released this year that are curren gen exclusive only? It's the best graphics of 2022. Not the best graphics released so far for this gen. What's your point? If the top two cross-gen are the best graphic released so far for this gen then I would agree with you but no.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Pretty solid list, can't really contend with any of them, except the Fortnite, NFS, and Dying Light 2 additions are weird - they all look pretty mediocre to me, not super impressive.

graphically ragnarok shows its cross-gen roots much much more.

the way horizon looks is kind of a crazy achievement tbh.
considering it being cross gen, open world and with a rock solid performance.
decima is beast of an engine.
wonder how ps5 only expansion will turn out.

Sure,, but for Ragnarok not to make top 10 is pretty funny considering how many cross gen games are on that list. GoWR is sitll one of the most visually impressive games released this year. I’d say its on the same level of Plague Tale but far better designed

FjyXIeDWAAArQCe

geary

What does one thing have to do with the other? They aren’t the same people working on both aspect of the game.
Better animations means people with better expertise or more people in the animation department = more salaries = more money spent there. They could redirect that increased budget into the department which is responsible with mechanics and gameplay (more people there or people with higher expertise and creativity).

Better animations means people with better expertise or more people in the animation department = more salaries = more money spent there. They could redirect that increased budget into the department which is responsible with mechanics and gameplay (more people there or people with higher expertise and creativity).

How many people do you need to come up with an interesting and compelling gameplay loop? Pretty sure Hades has the most fun gameplay loop I’ve ever had in a game yet theres like 20 people at supergiant altogether

Last edited:

Fbh

Thats a tall order for a lot of devs not named rockstar. I will be highly surprised if a lot of third party devs put that much mo cap and work into NPC’s moving forward this gen

Yeah I know, which is why I said "peak".
I'm not saying I want every open world game to look this good, just that I'm ok if we don't get anything better looking this gen and devs focus on other elements instead

Top Bottom