• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2022 - Another Great Year For State-of-the-Art Visuals!

tommib

I guess It's me.

5bRbpGr.jpg
Cool Down Golden Girls GIF

S0ULZB0URNE

graphically ragnarok shows its cross-gen roots much much more.

the way horizon looks is kind of a crazy achievement tbh.
considering it being cross gen, open world and with a rock solid performance.
decima is beast of an engine.
wonder how ps5 only expansion will turn out.
It looks very much like the 2018 GOW.

My top choices...

Horizon FW
The Callisto Protocol
Modern Warfare II (single player)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Good choices aside from Warhammer. i don't feel that one.
I think I would give it to tlou1 myself but yeah - Horizon is a very good and valid choice.

People being outraged by lack of Ragnarok... it looks good but not that good. It could win in art category though

ZehDon

Gold Member
The Callisto Protocol is easily the best visuals I've ever seen in a game. High end gaming PC with the game completely maxed out - there's no better lighting, shading and character models. Now, if the game was as good as the visuals, we'd be in for a treat.

I remember him questioning the RT implementation in Spider-Man Miles Morales and calling the game Spider-Man Whatever.
In his video of the PC version you could feel he was salivating...
This comment is full of more shit than Alex has ever been. Dude will call a spade a spade. You guys see whatever it is you want for whatever silicon crusade you are currently championing.

sncvsrtoip

GT7 also looks virtually identical to GT Sports which came out 5 years ago.
I know you probably didnt spend in any on this titles more than 5 minutes but dynamic lighting (one of best in any current titte not only racing) instead of static + motion blur during game + 4k vs 1800p checkerboard + dynamic weather on some tracks maybe little underwhelming upgrade is still an upgrade ;)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I know you probably didnt spend in any on this titles more than 5 minutes but dynamic lighting (one of best in any current titte not only racing) instead of static + motion blur during game + 4k vs 1800p checkerboard + dynamic weather on some tracks maybe little underwhelming upgrade is still an upgrade ;)
it has some extra features but overall it looks fairly similar. put them side by side and see if many people notice the difference.

hell, id say gow ragnorak has a bigger visual upgrade over its predecessor than GT7.

Sorry but im not going to salivate over dynamic time of day and weather when Driveclub did it better in 2014. Good to see PD is finally catching up 8 years later though.

Crayon

Horizon, yeah. It's well out ahead.

Next year will be Spider-man 2. Insomniac is up with guerrilla technically and now they get to enjoy a higher baseline than anyone else.

A lot of expectations being placed on Insomniacs shoulders. Seems like no one else is pushing the tech forward in anyway real way.

People are obviously gonna be disappointed its not a significant next gen leap, has ray tracing, runs at 60fps, has a twice as big city, and has some sort of next gen gimmick that will separate it form its predecessor.

But theres no other big next gen games for people to look forward to thats gonna feel “next gen” enough

Last edited:
HFW is amazing looking, best looking game so far with decima engine.
Can't wait to see what happens when it's not cross gen. Seems the upcoming dlc being PS5 only might show that next.

Last edited:

Crayon

A lot of expectations being placed on Insomniacs shoulders. Seems like no one else is pushing the tech forward in anyway real way.

People are obviously gonna be disappointed its not a significant next gen leap, has ray tracing, runs at 60fps, has a twice as big city, and has some sort of next gen gimmick that will separate it form its predecessor.

But theres no other big next gen games for people to look forward to thats gonna feel “next gen” enough

Something has to be best. It'll be spider-man. We'll see what the cyberpunk update is like. It's specifically made to crush a 3090 lol. Not an actual 2023 game but maybe it'll look better.

kyliethicc

Horizon winning makes sense
Ragnarok probably deserves a spot over like Dying Light or that Warhammer game
honorable mention to Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy remasters for looking great
no Knack this year so its all moot

GT7 scapes are cheating but they're gorgeous

TrCRsJk.jpg
YezyAE7.jpg

and The Last of Us Part I wins best glow up

JTUHix0.jpg

it looks the same as the remaster lol

Last edited:

Filben

While on stills APT Reqiuem is really impressive, it lacks the dynamic and animations of Forbidden West. A Plague Tale feels rather static, sometimes even rigid, even if not as much as its predecessor. The level of detail and fidelity alone however is nothing but brilliant. When everything's put together, however, Forbidden West wins in my opinion.

While on stills APT Reqiuem is really impressive, it lacks the dynamic and animations of Forbidden West. A Plague Tale feels rather static, sometimes even rigid, even if not as much as its predecessor. The level of detail and fidelity alone however is nothing but brilliant. When everything's put together, however, Forbidden West wins in my opinion.

Another problem with Requiem are the character models are just downright ugly outside of Amicia, Hugo, and Lucas. The main villain looked dumb as hell

PfPWofN.png

I honestly didn’t even know this guy was supposed to be the main villain until the end, I thought he was some random NPC

Last edited:

Honorary:

- The Witcher 3's next-gen patch

Runners up:

- Dying Light 2
- NFS: Unbound
- Fortnite UE5 Update
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Warhammer 40K Darktide
- The Last of Us: Part 1
- Gran Turismo 7

Top 3:

- Portal Ray Tracing
- Callisto Protocol
- Horizon Forbidden West

Is this video game media outlet using a criteria or going off of bias to make a selection? I will like to understand how God of War Ragnarök on the PlayStation 5 failed to make their list.

sncvsrtoip

Sorry but im not going to salivate over dynamic time of day and weather when Driveclub did it better in 2014. Good to see PD is finally catching up 8 years later though.
Driveclub to this day has best weather effects but sorry not dynamic lighting, defenitly worse than gt7 + was 30fps game with simplified physics

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Is this video game media outlet using a criteria or going off of bias to make a selection? I will like to understand how God of War Ragnarök on the PlayStation 5 failed to make their list.
I kinda feel like Digital Foundry didn't want a certain group of gamers to start calling them biased so they omitted God of War Ragnarok and instead chose Need For Speed lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think I might consider replaying horizon. It’s not too great but I will just switch it on easy maybe to avoid Boring grind.

I’ve played it day1 and finished day 5 maybe. The graphics were still aliased. The game was nicely patched and 40fps mode got added.

Does 40fps mode lowers resolution or something?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think any other game nails HDR like GT7. Bloody incredible.

Also, darktide looks so good. It's blown my mind now it's in front of me. But I do have a 4090.

Looking forward to firing up horizon just as a graphics showcase.

Dampf

HFW being number 1 is easily deserved. Why? Because the game does everything right. For example, Plague Tale has extremly high detailed environments and good lighting but fails at characters and their animation. Callistol offers realistic character models but its environments are nothing special imo and motion fluidity is lacking. Portal has the most advanced lighting in gaming history and nice assets but it's still... Portal.

Horizon Forbidden West has superb water animation, super realistic characters, high geometric detail, great textures and good lighting. All of that runs at 60 fps with great image quality.

Decima is a great engine, hope it gets HW-Raytracing soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom