• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

You're free to defend them to the death.

Added this in via edit and wanted to repost it in reply to you to shed some better light on why I would make it a point to defend him:

FWIW, my understanding is that he is only vague because he feels he has to be in order to protect himself and any sources. Whether that means it is better for him to not make such comments at all is going to differ person to person. But, considering his health has been negatively impacted by the fake leak, I prefer to err on the side of not giving him any hard time for how carefully he needs to choose his words in order to protect himself and his sources. I'm sure that in telling us he has positive impressions of the NX he is only meaning to turn around some of the negative spin and give those of us who wish to take stock in his statements some additional reason for optimism.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
No it isn't. Not even close.
Well all my excitement at that time was directed towards the Vita so I honestly didn't feel any hype for the Wii U reveal. My NX hype however is Wii/Vita levels right now.

Although with that said my ridiculous Wii hype only came AFTER the system got revealed.

Plum

Ubisoft praised project cafe/Wii u before its reveal. Apologies if I'm wrong but from what I remember I don't remember much negativity before its reveal.

Nintendo was coming off the massive success of the Wii and DS when the Wii U was Project Cafe, it was natural to place optimism in the device even if it turned out to be a flop in the end. Right now there is little reason to inherently see a Nintendo console as a potential success, that is unless the NX might recreate the same success the Wii U couldn't.

maxcriden

He put it in quotes though!!!!!!!!
(always an escape hatch)

Due to typically having multiple sources of varying validity, not every insider is right all of the time. In Alberto's case, he has previously provided leaks which have already been proven as true, so I give him the benefit of the doubt also.

And Eurogamer, if I recall correctly.

IGN, too, right? I thought someone else corroborated.

It was an editor from GameInformer. McNamara, I think...?

Sorry, yeah, it was McNamara I was thinking of. Thank you.

Added this in via edit and wanted to repost it in reply to you to shed some better light on why I would make it a point to defend him:

FWIW, my understanding is that he is only vague because he feels he has to be in order to protect himself and any sources. Whether that means it is better for him to not make such comments at all is going to differ person to person. But, considering his health has been negatively impacted by the fake leak, I prefer to err on the side of not giving him any hard time for how carefully he needs to choose his words in order to protect himself and his sources. I'm sure that in telling us he has positive impressions of the NX he is only meaning to turn around some of the negative spin and give those of us who wish to take stock in his statements some additional reason for optimism.
What sources are you talking about? I don't post much, but I've been around for years and I only ever remember Rosti posting patents he/she has dug up from the patent website. Did I miss something over the years?

Shiggy

Obviously I have no data to support what I said, but it's just what I've notice these past few months.

Have you been here during the Cafe days? We just came from the end of the Wii years, expecting loads of new games as the Wii had a huge drought in 2011/2012. We anticipated a new project from Retro (not DKC lol). We expected a big jump in hardware for the next generation (didn't quite pan out).

With NX, expectations seem to be in check. Expectations for the systems power are low (Xbox One level), I don't see huge rumors on software - all rumors seem to focus on Wii U game ports. And there's also no speculation on that Nintendo must have dozens of projects ready since they've done next to nothing for 3DS and Wii U this year.

NX isn't really hyped, not even here on GAF. That will change once we get some real information.

But, considering his health has been negatively impacted by the fake leak, I prefer to err on the side of not giving him any hard time for how carefully he needs to choose his words in order to protect himself and his sources.

What? He didn't create the fake, so why would it affect his health?

1152560.gif

marmoka

Banned
Rösti;218503388 said:
In response to Yves Guillemot's comments on NX today, September 29, I can say that I like what I have seen too, and I am hoping to be able to provide a slightly more interesting input in the coming weeks and months. "Coming weeks and months" does not necessarily reflect a specific time period.

Hey Rosti! Should we be exited them? Or better if we lower our expectations? I envy you dude!

I was always on #teamfake because it looked just like the patent.
I was prepared for the chance it was real though.
That thread was amusing, so many "RIP Nintendo"s, probably some even when it was confirmed to be a hoax.

Hermii

That thread was amusing, so many "RIP Nintendo"s, probably some even when it was confirmed to be a hoax.
I was kind of flip flopping, started out on 100% team fake and never got completely persuaded by team real, but got more open to the possibility.

ASIS

Have you been here during the Cafe days? We just came from the end of the Wii years, expecting loads of new games as the Wii had a huge drought in 2011/2012. We anticipated a new project from Retro (not DKC lol). We expected a big jump in hardware for the next generation (didn't quite pan out).

With NX, expectations seem to be in check. Expectations for the systems power are low (Xbox One level), I don't see huge rumors on software - all rumors seem to focus on Wii U game ports. And there's also no speculation on that Nintendo must have dozens of projects ready since they've done next to nothing for 3DS and Wii U this year.

NX isn't really hyped, not even here on GAF. That will change once we get some real information.
Yeah, I've been around since way before then even. I've been a part of the WUST journey too. And I still think the NX hype is bigger. Just these past two months we've like, what, 6 mega NX threads that spiraled out of control? Hell in late august- mid september it was normal to enter NeoGAF and see three concurrent NX threads in the first page, each one having different discussions by different posters in them.Keep in mind that Apple and Sony both had new hardware to present and yet the NX was still a major part of the discussion here. I realize that GAF had different rules at the time and mega threads were a thing back then. But the 'craze' is much more tangible this time around.
I'll give you software hype, there hasn't been much talk about it compared to the project cafe days. But I dare say the hardware talk alone trumps the Wii U speculation. Again, this is my personal observation, nothing more.

Nanashrew

Banned

Same here. The moment I saw it I knew it had to be a fake because it resembled a patent for touch screen functionality to a T when it wasn't a design patent.

maxcriden

What sources are you talking about? I don't post much, but I've been around for years and I only ever remember Rosti posting patents he/she has dug up from the patent website. Did I miss something over the years?

I don't know who Rosti's sources are, but since he is not an employee of Nintendo, presumably he has them. I don't know if he has ever provided leaks before, I only came to GAF in 2013 and don't recall if he's provided leaks since then, but when he says his health is adversely affected by a fake leak and indicates it's related to information he has from his sources, I believe him, however naïve that may be of me. (I genuinely mean that, I can absolutely be naïve at times so perhaps I'm being unreasonably trusting here also.)

Since I believe him that he had information and sources then, I then believe he has good information now when he's making positive statements about the system. As I said choosing to believe him or any other insider is going to be a down to the person's decision of what to believe, so my choice to take stock in his favorable words about NX is simply that, a personal choice. I hope that makes sense.

FWIW, even if I am saying that he didn't specifically make any claim the leaked controller was real, I'm only meaning to politely disagree and not to disparage anyone's opinion of whether his information is valid or not based on the evidence at hand. People are entitled entirely to their decision of whether or not he's a valid source, I just wished to point out the basis of the initial accusation (Rosti insinuating the leak was real) as not necessarily accurate.

What? He didn't create the fake, so why would it affect his health?

I don't think we can know that without knowing the extent of what he knew at that time and whether he was being accused or something of leaking information, or what the reason was, but, I have no reason to doubt he was telling the truth about being impacted by it in that way.

Malus

If true, no big deal. They said "fall." Fall runs through December 21.

My favorite part of this would be the fallout with Emily and EG being wrong about the reveal date. That would make for some interesting discussion. The only thing that would be more hilarious is there being an AMD component, which would validate what SMD and HNF have been saying. Oh, the chaos that would result.

I'm still #TeamOctober, by the way.

Considering that it's virtually impossible we'll see a reveal in September and EG hasn't been burned at the stake I don't expect anything to happen lol. The reveal date, as has been mentioned, is easily the most up-in-the-air aspect of either report.

Now if it's not using Nvidia, isn't a hybrid, or in Emily's case it gets delayed (she's been really adamant about that not being the case), I can see a bunch of people calling them out.

Shiggy

Yeah, I've been around since way before then even. I've been a part of the WUST journey too. And I still think the NX hype is bigger. Just these past two months we've like, what, 6 mega NX threads that spiraled out of control? Hell in late august- mid september it was normal to enter NeoGAF and see three concurrent NX threads in the first page, each one having different discussions by different posters in them.Keep in mind that Apple and Sony both had new hardware to present and yet the NX was still a major part of the discussion here. I realize that GAF had different rules at the time and mega threads were a thing back then. But the 'craze' is much more tangible this time around.
I'll give you software hype, there hasn't been much talk about it compared to the project cafe days. But I dare say the hardware talk alone trumps the Wii U speculation. Again, this is my personal observation, nothing more.

I don't know. When I look at this thread, it's just the same posters everyday arguing that something might happen the next day. I think as seen with the fake NX, the hype only really starts when there's information. Right now these mega threads are just a collection of Nintendo fans waiting for news as there's not really much from Nintendo this fall, neither in terms of announcements nor in terms of software. For Wii U we had at least some expectations and more leaks.

Sony's PS4 remodel didn't really see much hype as the Slim was entirely leaked earlier, and for the Pro a lot was also leaked. The systems also don't really do much different than the PS4 - same games. Not much to get excited over. And what hardware did Apple present?

I don't know who Rosti's sources are, but since he is not an employee of Nintendo, presumably he has them. I don't know if he has ever provided leaks before, I only came to GAF in 2013 and don't recall if he's provided leaks since then, but when he says his health is adversely affected by a fake leak and indicates it's related to information he has from his sources, I believe him, however naïve that may be of me. (I genuinely mean that, I can absolutely be naïve at times so perhaps I'm being unreasonably trusting here also.)

Since I believe him that he had information and sources then, I then believe he has good information now when he's making positive statements about the system. As I said choosing to believe him or any other insider is going to be a down to the person's decision of what to believe, so my choice to take stock in his favorable words about NX is simply that, a personal choice. I hope that makes sense.

FWIW, even if I am saying that he didn't specifically make any claim the leaked controller was real, I'm only meaning to politely disagree and not to disparage anyone's opinion of whether his information is valid or not based on the evidence at hand. People are entitled entirely to their decision of whether or not he's a valid source, I just wished to point out the basis of the initial accusation (Rosti insinuating the leak was real) as not necessarily accurate.

I don't think we can know that without knowing the extent of what he knew at that time and whether he was being accused or something of leaking information, or what the reason was, but, I have no reason to doubt he was telling the truth about being impacted by it in that way.
I'm just trying to wrap my head around why yourself (and others) believe Rosti has sources and knows things about NX when he/she has never (as far as I am aware) made any predictions/premonitions about something not yet known, apart from posting patents which are publically available.

It's truly confusing to me.

I have not seen the posts you mention referring to health and sources. I must have missed them.

ASIS

I don't know. When I look at this thread, it's just the same posters everyday arguing that something might happen the next day. I think as seen with the fake NX, the hype only really starts when there's information. Right now these mega threads are just a collection of Nintendo fans waiting for news as there's not really much from Nintendo this fall, neither in terms of announcements nor in terms of software. For Wii U we had at least some expectations and more leaks.

Sony's PS4 remodel didn't really see much hype as the Slim was entirely leaked earlier, and for the Pro a lot was also leaked. The systems also don't really do much different than the PS4 - same games. Not much to get excited over. And what hardware did Apple present?

Apple presented the iPhone 7.

As for the bolded, I think this is where we differ. The Wii U did have expectations and there was more to discuss. That much is true. But I'm talking about pure excitement. I think a lot of people are incredibly excited to see the what the NX really is. The anticipation is almost palpable. I know it is for me at least.

Maxinas

Rosti shouldn't have said anything, now the thread has devolved into arguments on whether Rosti has legit sources or talking out of his ass. Banning all NX threads until it's official reveal BY NINTENDO, would do wonders for everyone's mental stability me thinks.

Malus

I'm just trying to wrap my head around why yourself (and others) believe Rosti has sources and knows things about NX when he/she has never (as far as I am aware) made any predictions/premonitions about something not yet known, apart from posting patents which are publically available.

I have not seen the posts you mention referring to health and sources. I must have missed them.

The post he made that started all this commotion in this thread heavily implies Rosti is an insider who knows things about the NX we don't. On multiple occasions he's left cryptic messages and implied he has some sort of insider knowledge that he's not willing to go into detail about.

As far as credibility, I don't think he's ever shared anything significant enough that we can test the veracity of. I only trust that if he was totally bullshitting then the mods would've banned him long ago. There was a user here recently who attempted to drop some vague hints and was almost immediately banned when people started paying attention to them and they couldn't provide enough credentials to the mods.

Rosti shouldn't have said anything, now the thread has devolved into arguments on whether Rosti has legit sources or talking out of his ass. Banning all NX threads until it's official reveal BY NINTENDO, would do wonders for everyone's mental stability me thinks.

Nah. If there's new rumors, or even just an interesting/worthwhile opinion topic , then there should be a new thread. This place would be a barren wasteland if it were limited to official news.

maxcriden

Honestly, feel free to chalk it up to my own naiveté or being overly trusting, truly. I have no issue with that. I have no objective, empirical reason to believe him. I believe him because I've read his posts, we've PMed before about some things, my gut feeling tells me he means what he's saying, and his noted health issues make me more inclined to believe him. The part about sources, I don't believe he's ever used the word sources, just that he has implied strongly that he has them. So, it's an emotional decision to believe him rather than a rational one. I'm not sure if that will leave you feeling more or less confused, but hopefully less, regardless of whether it means you may think less of my judgment. I won't presume to think my gut feeling-based judgment is infallible or that others should do the same.

Oersted

I remember he made a post in the 3D printed NX thread insinuating it was real and Nintendo was upset about it, so I don't really trust he seen it.

That is wrong.

Nintendo employees who have no say on when NX is getting revealed where upset because the "leaks" painted NX in a wrong, negative light.

Why does Rosti have credibility anyway? Is there something I've missed? All I've seen them provide are patents (neat!) and vague comments

What am I missing?

Edit: Seems Maxcriden basically answered my question. Yep, there's nothing credible to his name as far as I can see. And even if there was, he's provided nothing of value with that supposed info. The idea man comparisons don't seem unwarranted

Malus

Sorry guys but what's going on with Rusti and the rumors?

Rösti;218503388 said:
In response to Yves Guillemot's comments on NX today, September 29, I can say that I like what I have seen too, and I am hoping to be able to provide a slightly more interesting input in the coming weeks and months. "Coming weeks and months" does not necessarily reflect a specific time period.

Why does Rosti have credibility anyway? Is there something I've missed? All ive seem them provide are patents (neat!) and vague comments

What am I missing?

Just...read the last couple pages guys. This is all a part of an ongoing discussion.

More important than all this is that Tokyo Mirage Sessions is finally "available now" on gamefly. lesss gooooo

Honestly, feel free to chalk it up to my own naiveté or being overly trusting, truly. I have no issue with that. I have no objective, empirical reason to believe him. I believe him because I've read his posts, we've PMed before about some things, my gut feeling tells me he means what he's saying, and his noted health issues make me more inclined to believe him. The part about sources, I don't believe he's ever used the word sources, just that he has implied strongly that he has them. So, it's an emotional decision to believe him rather than a rational one. I'm not sure if that will leave you feeling more or less confused, but hopefully less, regardless of whether it means you may think less of my judgment. I won't presume to think my gut feeling-based judgment is infallible or that others should do the same.
Ok, thanks for explaining your view. I thought I may have missed a Rosti post over the years where he predicted something that came true, therefore garnering a reputation as someone "in the know".

Hermii

So he likes what he have seen, that doesn't mean he seen the NX as most here interpreted. He could have seen some documentation or something.

Edit: or patents.

Ok, thanks for explaining your view. I thought I may have missed a Rosti post over the years where he predicted something that came true, therefore garnering a reputation as someone "in the know".

It seems like he has that reputation purely based on other people thinking he had that reputation...

Alebrije

Captain's log. USS Entergaf : We have entered a stage were reality and fiction is hard to differentiate, every day is harder to hold position pending the arrival of NX project. I am worried for Data, it seems his cores are melting, think we will should have installed the PRO module time ago instead of the UBI chip. I even made some fake interface controls because the need to feel something in my hands, good we still had those neon sticks from last Christmas.

We suffer blackouts these days, Our automatic camera system revealed what happened at the bridge on the recent one , decided to not show it to the crew.

The Entergaf will not resists much time. Oblivion awaits.

tumblr_m4x6aq5psl1qzmowao1_400.gif

At first all Rosti did was find patent information. One day he mentioned stuff about trying to apply on Nintendo's dev site or something like that, insinuating he would soon have access to information we didn't. Since then, I found his whole demeanor completely different. His posting style became ridiculously cryptic and verbose. He started using pretty pretentious language and even tried to drop hints with codes. Seriously, people like to joke about IdeaMan from the WUST days, and Rosti isn't that far off. He seems to always pop in and say something to remind people he knew things they didn't while not sharing anything significant. I know I sound like I hate the guy, but I don't. It's just really weird the change I've seen in him from my time on GAF. I really liked and respected him before, but now I'm just wary and a little annoyed. :p

It seems like he has that reputation purely based on other people thinking he had that reputation...
That's what I initially suspected, I just wanted to double-check.

Someone just mentioned that we might be misinterpreting Rosti's post, funny, I wondered that too. I figured he/she might've been talking about patents but left out that word to make the comment more exciting for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom