• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

AniHawk

Re third party support: they appear to be doing some things right on a technical level. They recently joined the group responsible for OpenGL, and Vulkan which suggests that their next hardware will support industry standard graphics APIs. Since Nintendo is not usually the third parties' priority they need to lower the barrier to getting ports.

Also, although Japanese console gaming seems to be going through a period of decline, I think Nintendo has a good chance of getting support from Japanese publishers. It is rumored that Square-Enix is on board with NX in some capacity and, given the amazing success of Monster Hunter on Nintendo hardware, Capcom should be there as well.

i think you can look at recent partnerships for a glimpse into the future: capcom, square enix and sega should all be there in some capacity. bandai namco will be there in a fairly big way. atlus too.

really the only big-ish company that man not have much is falcom. nintendo's done well to get third-parties back on the japanese side of things.

i think you can look at recent partnerships for a glimpse into the future: capcom, square enix and sega should all be there in some capacity. bandai namco will be there in a fairly big way. atlus too.

really the only big-ish company that man not have much is falcom. nintendo's done well to get third-parties back on the japanese side of things.

I don't think that tells us much at all. Nintendo's had similar partnerships with various companies on and off for decades and it didn't garner much longterm support beyond games that Nintendo was directly involved in, which is how they've ended up in the situation we're in. Instead, Nintendo's been forced to work with outside developers because they no longer have the manpower to adequately supply two systems by themselves.

But let's say for the sake of the argument these partnerships actually do mean something; that's not going to amount to much if they can't court Western developers as well--which they've seemingly made very little effort to rectify.

AniHawk

I don't think that tells us much at all. Nintendo's had similar partnerships with various companies on and off for decades and it didn't garner much longterm support beyond games that Nintendo was directly involved in, which is how they've ended up in the situation we're in. Instead, Nintendo's been forced to work with outside developers because they no longer have the manpower to adequately supply two systems by themselves.

But let's say for the sake of the argument these partnerships actually do mean something; that's not going to amount to much if they can't court Western developers as well--which they've seemingly made very little effort to rectify.

i think western developers are going to need a system more like the pc/ps4/xbo before they take another look. but i think you underestimate the appeal and strength of the relationships they've formed over the last decade or so. a lot of it actually rests on the power of their handheld userbase, but nintendo's gone pretty far in with supporting certain companies directly. they publish square enix's games in america for them, they work on project x-zone games for bandai namco (and namco works on fighting games for nintendo). sega does the sega + mario stuff, and also has provided several exclusives over this generation. monster hunter pretty much only sells on nintendo's platform in japan, to the point where not supporting it next gen means some falling out, shifting all resources to mobile, or the nx being a huge bomb.

as far as i know, after the 90s, the longterm support that ended was done by nintendo themselves. the 16 to 64 bit era split that happened was way more in the way of publishers bailing out of an abusive relationship, and beyond that, it was nintendo who cut ties with western developers in the early 00s. this was also when nintendo started seeking out japanese third-parties for support again, and this hasn't really let up since then.

Banned

You know Japanese publishers are just itching for the console market to grow bigger and have a second platform to sell games on in their home country. I can see the PS4 and NX getting the same Japanese games.

thefro

Obviously they're not in a good position currently with Western third parties, but I do think people on GAF overstate the problem slightly considering Activision, Disney, Ubisoft, and WB all released retail Wii U games in 2015. Those bridges aren't completely gone.

They do need to work on EA/2K, as well as working towards securing full support from all those companies and others.

efthymis

Neo Member
Ummm... I'm trying to remember the rumors from the GCN period, then Wii and Wii U.
If I remember correctly, the only time the rumors about the power of any of the systems were proven correct, was with GCN.
The WiiU was SUPPOSED to be powerful, and if I remember correctly, there were leaks from devs saying they were either pleased or blown away with the specs of the dev-kits. Then there were rumors suggesting the following versions were toned-down.

What I want to say is: although I DO want to believe that Nintendo has learned from their mistakes, I highly doubt they will present a console more powerful than the PS4. I just can't, sorry. They are too stuck thinking/believing that "doing it the Nintendo way" will keep them relevant today. Do you honestly believe Nintendo could/would offer a console with lets say an octa-core x86-64 CPU @2+ GHz, 16GB RAM, a gfx card no older (tech-wise) than 3 years?

The_Lump

Banned
Ummm... I'm trying to remember the rumors from the GCN period, then Wii and Wii U.
If I remember correctly, the only time the rumors about the power of any of the systems were proven correct, was with GCN.
The WiiU was SUPPOSED to be powerful, and if I remember correctly, there were leaks from devs saying they were either pleased or blown away with the specs of the dev-kits. Then there were rumors suggesting the following versions were toned-down.

What I want to say is: although I DO want to believe that Nintendo has learned from their mistakes, I highly doubt they will present a console more powerful than the PS4. I just can't, sorry. They are too stuck thinking/believing that "doing it the Nintendo way" will keep them relevant today. Do you honestly believe Nintendo could/would offer a console with lets say an octa-core x86-64 CPU @2+ GHz, 16GB RAM, a gfx card no older (tech-wise) than 3 years?

No they won't shoot that high. But I'd expect it will be in the ballpark just with some nice modern tweaks. Think WiiU is to 360: I expect NX to be to XBone what WiiU is to 360.

Banned

Are you ok with paying $599 USD for it?

Devs always say stuff like this. Relativity speaking the Wii U is more powerful than the 7th gen consoles (and there was no Xbone/PS4 to compare it to back then) and has a really good GPU but its weak as shit CPU and the shift to X86 really hurt it's chances for developers. I also really doubt Nintendo will focus on power for their next hardware anyway.

Pokemaniac

Devs always say stuff like this. Relativity speaking the Wii U is more powerful than the 7th gen consoles (and there was no Xbone/PS4 to compare it to back then) and has a really good GPU but its weak as shit CPU and the shift to X86 really hurt it's chances for developers. I also really doubt Nintendo will focus on power for their next hardware anyway.

The Wii U having a PowerPC CPU is largely irrelevant to the third party situation. The relative lack of power and cores compared to the Xbone and PS4 was a much bigger issue.

Top Bottom