• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Bulbasaur

Banned
They're going to need 3rd party content at launch. Good 3rd party content. Obviously the publishers are going to be cautious, is there any likelyhood that Nintendo themselves would bankroll certain publishers games to a degree themselves, like to reduce the risk to make the system more attractive out the gate? I would if I were them.

I would take the Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 at 900p30 instead of not having it at all.

That kind of caveat doesn't sound like it'd be compelling to the broader market, though. Many have been served far better third party support by Sony and MS for 10 years. If Nintendo wants to be competetive on that front, they'd need the same willingness to get outside devs on board. That means giving them a say in the design of the console, powerful specs, FAR better network options, big moneyhats/exclusivity deals...the lot.

I have a very hard time seeing Nintendo go as far on that route as Sony and MS have for several years now. Thus I'm not getting my hopes up as far as third party support, regardless of how the console turns out.

Okay, seems like the idea of using a handheld as a power boost for the console would be an engineering nightmare. Maybe Nintendo should hire Mark Cerny? He's proven himself a maverick at this sort of stuff ;)

If you're going to combine the handheld and console power I think the only sensible way is using the handheld as a controller. For example game like Starfox would draw its second screen natively instead of being streamed across.
This could work tho.

Every single Nintendo console that wasn't specifically designed for the purpose of broad market expansion (hint: the only ones that were are NES, Game Boy, DS, and Wii; the rest were based on performance improvement over their predecessors) has seen substantial decline compared to its predecessor. It isn't just a Wii U thing - your enthusiast base is always a tiny fraction of your overall addressable market.

Wouldn't the Virtual Boy technically fall into the category of the others as a device built for broad market expansion?

Although the rest of your point is pretty sound when looking at it that way.

Oh I feel exactly the same way. And Galaxy 1 and Fire Emblem. That first year for the Wii was full of ambitious projects that expanded upon the franchises and seemed massive in scope.

Compared to the Wii U output which is relatively safe.

If they come out swinging with the NX like they did the first year of the Wii I'll be happy.

Ah yes, Galaxy 1 of course! Incredible game, and had that same magic feeling. Those titles (to a lesser extent Metroid Prime 3 for many people) felt like a triage of high quality flagship Nintendo games. Such strong titles.

I remember seeing this E3 presentation show reel and thinking "Holy fuck, they've done it". SO much hype and excitement, and it delivered too.

They need this, again, with a more grounded lineup (3rd party wise) and a competent system power wise.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out, actually. Hopefully they have learned some lessons from the Wii U, and can give us something special.

Wouldn't the Virtual Boy technically fall into the category of the others as a device built for broad market expansion?

Virtually everything I know about Virtual Boy marketing (ha) and of course my experience with the Virtual Boy itself gives me the impression that this wasn't at all the case. It was a niche device designed for the typical gamer demographic vs. the wider family audience.

You don't think the Wii U was designed with broad market expansion in mind? It absolutely was. They thought that adapting controls to a tablet would facilitate a wave of consumers who found the controller as familiar.

Except they couldn't have decided to model Wii U to be familiar to a market that used tablets since they settled on the core ideas for Wii U in 2008, before popular tablets actually came to market (with iPad in 2010). Unless you think they're BSing and they came up with the gamepad in about a year from iPad to Wii U announcement.

And Nintendo's marketing from the get go was focused on courting gamers back (the very first actual game announced was Darksiders II). They were very clear when discussing Wii that ditching the complex design of the standard gamepad was necessary to court a wide non-gamer audience.

If you think Nintendo's hope is to be another PS4 or Xbox One, you're delusional. This market is crowded and shrinking. Its a fact. Nintendo's only way is to bank on their IP and exclusives. Except this time in quantity and quality, unlike Wii U. More like the 3DS.

Where did I say that? Why are "Nintendo fans" of "dude bros" the only two roads available to them? I'm saying Nintendo needs to broaden their audience to include people that don't pray at the alter of Mario. One way or another they need to figure out how to get their system to appeal to people who don't give a fuck about the standard Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart. Whether that's dudebros or casuals or whoever I don't know, but it's not delusional to realize that nintendos own fans are not enough to sustain them in the home console business.

NeonZ

Except they couldn't have decided to model Wii U to be familiar to a market that used tablets since they settled on the core ideas for Wii U in 2008, before popular tablets actually came to market (with iPad in 2010). Unless you think they're BSing and they came up with the gamepad in about a year from iPad to Wii U announcement.

And Nintendo's marketing from the get go was focused on courting gamers back
(the very first actual game announced was Darksiders II). They were very clear when discussing Wii that ditching the complex design of the standard gamepad was necessary to court a wide non-gamer audience.

Nintendo pushed Nintendoland as its big launch title, in an attempt to 'convert' the Wii base into their core franchises. It was a misguided target, but when you look at the titles that were actually highlighted (not just part of lip services or trailer heels) and the overal console design (once again closer to last generation systems than current ones hardware-wise) it was clear that they were attempting to court the Wii's expanded audience, with core gamers as a secondary concern, left mostly to third party ports.

Third parties will never outsell Nintendo titles but that's not what third parties should aim for. They should aim for "enough". What I mean by that is don't expect your port to outsell Mario or Zelda and be happy if it breaks millions. It's harder to compete with nintendos titles because of the quantity and quality of them released yearly compared to Microsoft and Sony. Those two release what? 3-4 AAA exclusives a year compared to Nintendo? That doesn't mean there isn't room for third parties.

I'm a Nintendo gamer and I buy third party games when I know it's as fully featured as the other ports (not missing modes, DLC, poor performance, etc). If mass effect, Witcher, fallout, etc came to the NX there's nothing I'd love more than to have all those games on the same ecosystem with achievements and such. I wouldn't mind it if it was the worst performing version, at least I get the game. I would take the Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 at 900p30 instead of not having it at all.

I don't think it's worth trying to port games to Nintendo consoles. If you're interested in third party content, then you'll buy another console. The consumer base for people who buy only Nintendo consoles aren't significant enough to bother with. It's more likely that someone who buys a Nintendo console also has another gaming PC or console and they'll buy their multiplatform games on those instead. Instead of asking for ports, Nintendo needs to work out exclusivity deals with third parties. Let them shell out the dough and take some of the risk off third party developers.

Ogodei

This is the exact problem. Plus the only third party games that sell on the 3DS are Japanese third party games (with a few exceptions). It's a two-way street. Most Nintendo fans don't buy third party games, & said third parties don't want to take the risk of cultivating the audience necessary to succeed. That's why I've been saying that Nintendo needs to ease their audience into said third party games by making variants of those games themselves as a sort of transition.

The only way for Nintendo to rebuild the bridge here is with exclusive content. Moneyhat DLC for certain 3rd party multiplats which would be strategic on Nintendo platforms. Not just Nintendo character gimmick stuff either, stuff like a side-mode timed exclusive, or exclusive games Nintendo-funded (more Bayo 2 projects, but in more genres). Beyond Good and Evil 2 would be a good way to rebuild with Ubisoft, for instance: something core gamers demand, something Ubi won't touch with the state of the industry as it is, something a little quirky that will fit Nintendo's mold

The only way for Nintendo to rebuild the bridge here is with exclusive content. Moneyhat DLC for certain 3rd party multiplats which would be strategic on Nintendo platforms. Not just Nintendo character gimmick stuff either, stuff like a side-mode timed exclusive, or exclusive games Nintendo-funded (more Bayo 2 projects, but in more genres). Beyond Good and Evil 2 would be a good way to rebuild with Ubisoft, for instance: something core gamers demand, something Ubi won't touch with the state of the industry as it is, something a little quirky that will fit Nintendo's mold

A game or two won't matter. They need to spend the whole generation doing them moneyhats, exclusive contents, etc. in order to even begin to repair the bridge with third parties and people who buy third party games. And it will probably take multiple generations of concerted effort, tons of money, in order for them to catch back up to MS and Sony.

This is the result of them largely ignoring the 3rd party multiplat market for the last few generations.

Pachimari

I'm curious about the NX. I one thing I want and one thing I don't want is:

- I don't want it to be a hybrid, which makes the handheld and console play together. I don't want to use the handheld as the controller for my console. The only thing it should do in terms of being a hybrid, is making games easily playable on either machine.

- I want Nintendo to deliver a somewhat traditional console this time. The important thing is to not make development for 3rd parties harder than needed. They shouldn't have to come up with control schemes or designs for multi-platform games, like on the Wii and Wii U.

I would love a traditional controller this time. But again, I would also be ecstatic to see the Wiimote return in al its glory.

Ogodei

A game or two won't matter. They need to spend the whole generation doing them moneyhats, exclusive contents, etc. in order to even begin to repair the bridge with third parties and people who buy third party games. And it will probably take multiple generations of concerted effort, tons of money, in order for them to catch back up to MS and Sony.

This is the result of them largely ignoring the 3rd party multiplat market for the last few generations.

Part of me is similarly pessimistic about their chances, but part of me thinks that third parties' desperation for money means that they could come back, it's just not as simple as Nintendo making a port box (since, among other things, Wii U was basically built to be a 360 port box, but 360 got much more 3rd party support than Wii U in the years that they coexisted).

I agree that it would take decades (which, given that consoles are going to lose their dominance in even the hardcore market within 15 years, means "never") for Nintendo to get back to parity, but they don't need parity. Any gain over Wii U would be a win. A return to GameCube support would be *huge*, given that multiplats tend to be the good 3rd party games nowadays (whereas before the exclusives were usually superior). Nintendo can improve the situation with a few small gestures, but they need to do it in a way that makes people buy the console for having those third party games on there, which means targeted exclusive stuff.

Rödskägg

Neo Member
This is from a Q&A in March 2014.

Iwata said:
Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform.

What does he mean by the bolded?

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Also, from the same Q&A.

Iwata said:
Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

But in 2013 he said:

Iwata said:
Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

Did they change their minds or is he talking about different things?

Thoughts?

Wtf is this guys ?

http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/olff/p_115971_nx-on-a-joue-a-nx

Im not sure if its credible, i dont really go on that site, but someone on facebook threw me that. I find it hard that someone would break NDAs on NX.

That's a very tall tale indeed.

It's actually quite a hilarious read, even w/ Google translate. The setup dealing w/ the recent controversies w/ journalism and leaks is a nice touch!

NX, NX was played!

-Horizon-

One other question that came to mind. Do you think that you'll have to pay a subscription fee to play online with the NX Platform? If so, do you think Nintendo will offset the price by offering a free game or two a month?

Prediction: no, Nintendo will not put multiplayer/online behind a paywall

on the other hand I think (or really wishful thinking) they will offer a subscription service for their VC games (not current NX games)

I can see them offering some kind of service for $50 for a year so that you can get around 5-6 VC games per month. And if you want to buy them so you can have them permanently, if you are currently subbed, you can get the game at a discount.

I mean those games are like $5 each already if you actually bought them so its a good deal.

iMax

Wtf is this guys ?

http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/olff/p_115971_nx-on-a-joue-a-nx

Im not sure if its credible, i dont really go on that site, but someone on facebook threw me that. I find it hard that someone would break NDAs on NX.

Un Japonais s'adresse à moi en français, m'expliquant être le traducteur du second, un chef de projet designer de chez Nintendo qui se nomme Chiguerou Miatomo » (quelque chose du genre, mais privé de mon stylo, je n'ai pu noter son nom exact).

5EtLOSs.gif

More money would hurt Nintendo?

Console gamers have shown that they are willing to pay for online. There was absolutely NO issue going from the free PS3 model to the paid PS4 model. In fact, PS4 is kicking ass. Hard.

Assuming Nintendo pulls off online properly (and that's a HUGE assumption) I don't think anyone will have a problem paying for NX online services.

Yes, less money would hurt Nintendo.

Even if their online is better, their free service being a feather in their cap(one of the few over the competition) would be gone and it wouldn't be a positive.

It might not be as off-putting as the Xbox One's policies before launch(which they changed) but charging for online is not something Nintendo should even consider.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

My French isn't quite good enough for me to want to put forth the effort to read the entire article, so thank you for pulling out that absolutely fantastic quote. Simply amazing.

Raist

Banned
Well, let me take a lo-

It's fake.

I mean you don't have to read for that long.

NX est le nom final de la console, et que le nom de code est NGP pour Next Generation de Portable, mais qu’ils ont eu des soucis de droit d’auteur, et donc qu’ils n’ont pu s’en servir…

Translation: NX is the final name, codename is NGP for Next Generation Portable but they couldn't use it because of copyright issues.

Like, lulz.

AntMurda

Ipad was announced January 2010. Before then there were already large touch screen phones and tablets from Asus and HP. While initially I'm sure they wanted to translate the DS touch screen success over to the console world, tablets really started taking off in 2010 and I'm sure that may have further enticed Nintendo to go with the larger screen as opposed to the other sized prototypes they were experimenting with.

And Nintendo's marketing from the get go was focused on courting gamers back (the very first actual game announced was Darksiders II). They were very clear when discussing Wii that ditching the complex design of the standard gamepad was necessary to court a wide non-gamer audience.

Their BIG initial first-party projects unveiled where what? Wii Sports, Wii Fit, New Super Mario Bros. U, Panorama View, and Nintendo Land. What does that tell you? Nintendo definitely wanted to walk the line where they appealed to both Wii owners and XBox/PS3 owners, both failed miserably.

That French article reads like a Nintendo fan version of a Penthouse forums letter.

"Miatomo [sic] looks at me and beckons me with a big smile watching the TV screen. A screen appears Pikmin4! I'm half in a trance! The translator begins to explain that this new album can now play with four captains, and each can be controlled by a player offline and online! Yes you can play 4 to Pikmin4, locally !!! What we played !!!"

AzaK

Just seeing this hurts me deeply.

It actually makes me happy because for years people told Nintendo what to do. For years we told them that we wanted third party support. We wanted mature games. For years we told them we wanted robust online. For all those years Nintendo went "Fuck you we'll do what we want" and eventually it got so bad they made the Wii, had tonnes of success and were like "See, we are awesome" and then the Wii fell off a cliff and Wii U tanked from the get go.

They were so full of hubris that they needed to be taken down a notch and brought back to reality. I am utterly pleased that this happened.

Pastry

Banned
Third parties will never outsell Nintendo titles but that's not what third parties should aim for. They should aim for "enough". What I mean by that is don't expect your port to outsell Mario or Zelda and be happy if it breaks millions. It's harder to compete with nintendos titles because of the quantity and quality of them released yearly compared to Microsoft and Sony. Those two release what? 3-4 AAA exclusives a year compared to Nintendo? That doesn't mean there isn't room for third parties.

I'm a Nintendo gamer and I buy third party games when I know it's as fully featured as the other ports (not missing modes, DLC, poor performance, etc). If mass effect, Witcher, fallout, etc came to the NX there's nothing I'd love more than to have all those games on the same ecosystem with achievements and such. I wouldn't mind it if it was the worst performing version, at least I get the game. I would take the Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 at 900p30 instead of not having it at all.

If you tell investors they should be okay with "enough" they'll laugh you out of a room. If that is the option they'll probably just not bother.

The_Lump

Banned
Reading that via Google Translate is absolutely hilarious. Best comedy read of 2015, 10/10 would rofl again.

Miatomo said:
You think I have time to spare for large dads subscribers shoot-sticks and are unable to finish any Mario Bros? No, so I never speak of them. " Mild discomfort, I do not know what to answer, but Miatomo makes a little angry, "you know Nagui? It is French, and had paid him to make a sandwich man in Mario Kart pub. Ben knew that one day I called bullshit so I was reading on the internet from the lobby since my smartphone, and I told him that if he made ​​fun of the lobby on TV or radio, I was spinning him a million cash euro. You know what he said? "I send you my new Swiss rib.

Gold.

Turrican3

It actually makes me happy because for years people told Nintendo what to do. For years we told them that we wanted third party support. We wanted mature games. For years we told them we wanted robust online.
Please speak for yourself.

The LAST thing on Earth I want is a third identical platform offer.
We already have Microsoft and Sony competing for the same audience, and while there is no doubt Nintendo really has to improve its position in the market attracting more people than that utter failure of the WiiU (and to a far lesser extent, the 3DS), I for one am eternally grateful they tried and succeeded with something unique like the Wii/DS and yes, somehow even the WiiU (which, while being a trainwreck as I already said, at least has an unconventional lineup as well... which is a plus to me)

But I'm sure people like you who knows what Nintendo should do would be perfectly able to run
bankrupt
the company better than anyone else.

Diffense

Re third party support: they appear to be doing some things right on a technical level. They recently joined the group responsible for OpenGL, and Vulkan which suggests that their next hardware will support industry standard graphics APIs. Since Nintendo is not usually the third parties' priority they need to lower the barrier to getting ports.

Also, although Japanese console gaming seems to be going through a period of decline, I think Nintendo has a good chance of getting support from Japanese publishers. It is rumored that Square-Enix is on board with NX in some capacity and, given the amazing success of Monster Hunter on Nintendo hardware, Capcom should be there as well.

Top Bottom