• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Griss

People need to get this idea of annual upgraded hardware releases out of their head. That works for the smartphone market b/c the overwhelming amount of people who upgrade their stuff do so on contract. The contract basically subsidizes the cost of the phone in the short term, even if it adds up in the long term.

Consoles do not have a subsidization model that works. Games are not a service to an extent that companies can use game sales or subscription revenue to offset hardware costs and thus get the majority of gamers on annual refresh cycles. In other words, the amount of users any company would be selling the new year's model to decreases for each additional year after the base system is sold, especially if the games are scalable across iterations, because only the hardcore gamers (who make up a small amount of total gamers) would continue buying them for incremental upgrades.

Most will wait out for the actual next-gen system. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo know this, which is why that's the model they'll stick with until digital platform services is a reality in the next 10 years.

You can outright skip the Saturn's boot up by holding the A, B, or C button after you turn it on. Works with each model.

That's the only other one I can think of atm.

I don't think anyone's suggesting new hardware annually, for the reasons you suggested. But consoles do undergo revisions. Usually 'slim' ones, to keep the product attractive and the manufacturing prices down etc. These tend to happen after 2 or 3 years. Then after two of these revisions, there's a hardware 'reset' and a new generation of systems. From which the company has to build up a library completely from scratch again.

What people are proposing is that instead of that system, that every 2/3 years the next console revision is actually more powerful, but still backwards compatible. The new revision plays games at a higher 'spec', just like a better PC does. New games have to support the old box to be certified. And there's never any hardware reset. It would benefit Nintendo, in particular, who struggle with a small library and lack of support.

So, think of the smartphone thing, only every 3 years or so. I personally think it makes sense. You'd also get a lot of hardcore users upgrading.

sinxtanx

Just out of curiosity....
  • Do you think people will be pissed at the 3DS getting replaced with the NX Handheld? While Japan had the n3DS for about a year, we only just got it last Spring.
  • Do you think Pokémon Z (likely) being on the 3DS impact NX Handheld sales?
  • How close to the Wii U do you expect the NX Handheld to be (in terms of visuals)?
  • Do you think we'll get multiple NX Handhelds at launch (Regular & XL, for example)?
  • How many Wii U ports you think will be in the launch line-up for the NX Platform?
  • Do you think Pikmin 4 is headed for the NX Platform's launch?

No.
I don't think Z is for the 3DS. If on 3DS, will have NX port.
At or above.
Not at launch.
2. Zelda and Smash.
Easily.

Rodin

Fourth, you said to keep expectations in check, which i agree with, but you proposed a 1TFLOP GPU. I'd be way more than ok with that happening, in fact i proposed roughly the same specs a few months ago and many people said they would be ok with those as well. Now i know that many other people want better specs than PS4, but honestly if they meet or surpass that... "milestone", i think we'll all end up being more thank ok with how games will look (and third parties wouldn't complain either if the architecture is similar to the other two, which is pretty much a given). My only fear is the console being less than that, but 1TFLOP? Hell yes! Can you imagine Aonuma, Monolith, Retro and EAD Tokyo working on a console in the same ballpark as the Xbox One? After seeing how X looks with only 176GFLOPs, i'd be pretty excited to see Xeno 3 in 1080p with PBR, GI, dynamic lights, full res particles, bokeh dof, SSR, higher res textures and so on!

Do you think people will be pissed at the 3DS getting replaced with the NX Handheld? While Japan had the n3DS for about a year, we only just got it last Spring.
Nah, it was just a refresh. People bought the console and the games they were interested in, nothing wrong in releasing a new handheld almost 2 years later. I don't remember people being upset about the DSi or GBA Micro either.

Do you think Pokémon Z (likely) being on the 3DS impact NX Handheld sales?
Nah, and i wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being ported on NX as well (same graphics, but updated res, textures and frame rate). They need Pokémon, Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch in the launch window/first year, even if they're porting from 3DS.

How close to the Wii U do you expect the NX Handheld to be (in terms of visuals)?
Quite close, like 3DS->GC or DS->N64.

Do you think we'll get multiple NX Handhelds at launch (Regular & XL, for example)?
Only one, the size of the current 3DS XL. Maybe a tablet-sized SKU could be the "extra" form factor Iwata hinted at, with higher resolution and better specs to properly support the upgraded res.

How many Wii U ports you think will be in the launch line-up for the NX Platform?
2: Splatoon and Zelda. Mario Maker and Smash with all DLC included could be launch window titles (or at least come out during the first year).

Do you think Pikmin 4 is headed for the NX Platform's launch?
Yep. Could be a cross title with Wii U.

The Knight we need. DragonKnight. Well said. Especially the bolded.

I totally agree. Nintendo will make the NX powerful enough to have the best ports and make it easier to develop for, not because they want to nessesarly, but because they need to have the latest technology if they want developers to make games easily for the system without doing ground up exclusives or poor performance ports that no one will buy if they already have a PS4.

If Nintendo can get it's foot in the door by selling the proof of concept of the NX and getting sales based on that and Nintendo IP's out the gate, then buying those multiplat ports on NX would be more likely in the long-term if the console has the best version of those ports in terms of quality since the user base would be there.

4Tran

• Do you think people will be pissed at the 3DS getting replaced with the NX Handheld? While Japan had the n3DS for about a year, we only just got it last Spring.
No.
No. In the long term, people who were going to buy a NX would do so despite whatever is available at launch. The first year adoption rate is important for the home console, but the same isn't true for the handheld.

Anth0ny

New 3DS has ZL and ZR. They work perfectly.

ZL and ZR are not analog triggers

and if the next nintendo console has a controller that doesn't have analog triggers that's a big fucking problem

n3DS is equivalent to the Wii U Pro Controller as far as sticks and buttons go. Except for the lack of thumbstick clicks.
Let's assume that the NXDS has the same number of buttons and sticks as the n3DS.

the lack of thumstick clicks is a big problem. you're missing two inputs right there. you're potentially making a game unplayable.

A basic Nintendo NX game would run on the NXDS with the same buttons and sticks as on the n3DS. It would have a top screen and something non-necessary on the bottom screen.

If you took this same cart and plugged it into your WiiNX - which comes standard with a Wii U Pro Controller - it would play the top screen on the TV, the bottom display would not be seen, and if the game is programmed to, some optional things could be mapped to the thumbclicks.

If you used a WiiNX gamepad (optional accessory) or NXDS as your controller, you could use either of them to house your bottom screen.

I could go into detail were I not posting from my phone, but the idea is that every game supports one screen and the n3DS buttons and sticks. Other things - like a 2nd screen or thumbclicks are optional.

There are always exceptions.

this sounds really convoluted and non-nintendo like. first of all, we're assuming the handheld NX has two screens. it's also ANOTHER demand for third parties ("you can port the PC/PS4/Xbone version to our platform, BUT..."), and nintendo is hardly in a position to make demands to third parties. it didn't work out with the wii u, and it won't work out with the nx.

Ansatz

ZL and ZR are not analog triggers

and if the next nintendo console has a controller that doesn't have analog triggers that's a big fucking problem

That would mean another gen without Sunshine HD :(

What else do you need analog triggers for?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I think they're just excited at the prospect of a new platform, whatever it may be. People are again focusing too much on paper specs when again and again Nintendo say that is not their concern.

Personally, I don't need super specs to have a ton of fun playing games.
Don't read into this post, btw. I was just agreeing with Fourth Storm.

Personally, I don't need super specs to have a ton of fun playing games.
Don't read into this post, btw. I was just agreeing with Fourth Storm.
LOL at this insta-edit! ^^

Must be hard to have everything you write taken as something. :)

So ... anyone thought about this thing having a simultaneous global launch? Or do we get that split by region again? So many units could at least mean something simultaneous.

The_Lump

Banned
It's crazy.

- Both DS, 3DS, even the Wii didn't have a that good launch period. 6M in March 2007 for the Wii IIRC.
- Both of those handheld/console FY 2016/2017 buyers are the same early adopters, and I don't believe everyone is able to double dip two hardware in the same holiday period, so I won't add 3DS first FY and Wii (or Wii U -lol-) first FY sales.
- It would be crazy from Nintendo to expect selling 12M units with two form factors, while their best seeling system must be the Wii with 6M, while their latest system still isn't near 12M in 3 years. You just don't take your all-time record and *2 it. That's business, not wishful thinking.

True, but remember the 12M is probably the amount they want manufactured for the year (Apr - March). So assuming they have a good launch in around Oct/Nov, a launch period which contains Black Friday, Christmas etc and then the first 3 months of 2016 - ~6M each for a handheld and console isn't an insane amount. It's still very high though.

Edit: wrong figures

Griss

• How close to the Wii U do you expect the NX Handheld to be (in terms of visuals)?
  • Do you think we'll get multiple NX Handhelds at launch (Regular & XL, for example)?
  • How many Wii U ports you think will be in the launch line-up for the NX Platform?
  • Do you think Pikmin 4 is headed for the NX Platform's launch?

Are you asking these questions to everybody? If so:
1. No, no one will be pissed. The N3DS was a minor revision and never supposed to be anything more. Everyone knows the 3DS is done.

2. No, I don't expect Pokemon Z sales to impact the NX.

3. Significantly below. I'm expecting something a bit more powerful than a Vita. With the reduced resolution of the screen, though it's possible they'll look very close to Wii U games that run at 1080p.

4. No, but I'd like that option.

5. Two, if you count Zelda as one. The other being MK8 or Smash Wii U.

6. Launch? I'm not sure. I don't think it's a great fit, or something they should be particularly focused on. But's an NX game, I'm sure of that.

AzaK

Seeing as the architecture is likely the same between handheld and console (Or they're the same thing) then that would be possible. Console alone I think that's optimistic given Nintendo's Wii U experience.

Banned
No harm in being cautiously optimistic. The issue with aiming to match the competition though is that the competition has a two/three year lead. There are at least 40 million current gen consoles in homes already, so that's a huge chunk of the market already cornered. If they're looking to prioritize third party on the NX, then they'll run into the same issues the Wii U did (why buy a new console that plays the same games my current console does, plus some Nintendo exclusives on top?)

It's for that reason I'm not concerned about the power of the hardware. PS4 quality would be great, but that's absolutely not what will sell the console. I genuinely have no idea what will sell the console, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised here. Hardware power has to be the cherry on top, not their key selling point.
That's kind of exactly what we want. All the third party games getting released on the PS4 and XB1 plus Nintendo exclusives.

Anth0ny

It's crazy.

- Both DS, 3DS, even the Wii didn't have a that good launch period. 6M in March 2007 for the Wii IIRC.
- Both of those handheld/console FY 2016/2017 buyers are the same early adopters, and I don't believe everyone is able to double dip two hardware in the same holiday period, so I won't add 3DS first FY and Wii (or Wii U -lol-) first FY sales.
- It would be crazy from Nintendo to expect selling 12M units with two form factors, while their best seeling system must be the Wii with 6M, while their latest system still isn't near 12M in 3 years. You just don't take your all-time record and *2 it. That's business, not wishful thinking.

pretty sure the Wii had crazy shortages during its launch period, though.

that being said, I agree. I don't think a new Nintendo platform is going to ship 10-12m in its launch year, especially as the competition is really starting to hit its stride and mobile games are stronger than ever.

Banned
Better to let that dream go now. It's about ROI and demographics
Having potential to sell more third party games, get royalties off of those games, and increase mindshare and market share among the AAA community isn't a good enough ROI? The cheap specs with gimmicks isn't working for the Wii U and didn't blow up for the 3DS.

4Tran

Having potential to sell more third party games, get royalties off of those games, and increase mindshare and market share among the AAA community isn't a good enough ROI? The cheap specs with gimmicks isn't working for the Wii U and didn't blow up for the 3DS.
It's not the ROI for Nintendo; it's the ROI for the AAA publishers. If the customer base on the NX console isn't well suited for their games, they're not going to make any NX ports. Personally, I think that this is a serious problem that Nintendo needs to address, but it may be beyond their ability to do so, and so the NX is going to avoid it yet again.

Neoxon

A few other questions now that I'm back on my laptop...

• Should Nintendo release a port of Splatoon for the NX Platform's launch or just fast-track a sequel for 2017?
  • What resolution do you think the NX Handheld will run at?
  • How do you think Nintendo will handle shared games between all form factors with physical media (if at all)?
  • Do you think we'll get a Smash 4 re-release with all of the DLC included?
  • How much third party support are you expecting for the NX Platform at launch.
  • Assuming Pokémon Z is out next year, do you think it'll be 3DS-only, NX Platform-only, or a cross-gen release?
  • Do you think Xenoblade X or Super Mario Maker will see a NX Platform port?
  • How do you think the NX Console & NX Handheld will interact besides sharing most of their games?

• Should Nintendo release a port of Splatoon for the NX Platform's launch or just fast-track a sequel for 2017?
  • How do you think Nintendo will handle shared games between all form factors with physical media (if at all)?
  • Assuming Pokémon Z is out next year, do you think it'll be 3DS-only, NX Platform-only, or a cross-gen release?
  • Do you think Xenoblade X will see a NX Platform port?
  • How do you think the NX Console & NX Handheld will interact besides sharing most of their games?
1. They should do a sequel and they probably will
2. 540p??? Would be fine with that.
3. No idea
4. No
5. A good amount of third parties praising the system in another montage, some actually releasing substantial games for it, then they come to a halt when they don't sell
6. 3DS-only
7. No
8. No idea

Banned

No. Make a new sequel with more content.

540p

Cartridges

Yes

GameCube levels

3DS only

Yes to Xenoblade

Shared suspending games and such. Resume on a console or handheld vice versa.

AdanVC

What if NX ends up being a new product rather than a succesor of Wii U and 3DS and the actual Wii U/3DS will still be around for 2 more years launching a new game each 6 months now (Animal Crossing amiibo partay 2 anyone!? :D) and the actual succesors will launch until 2017 or when PS5 and X2 arrives just so the three can compete evenly and the Wii U succesor will be called New Wii U 2 and the handheld New 3 Double DS XL.... And yet without a Metroid game or Mother 3 on the west! Good times ahead :D

What if NX ends up being a new product rather than a succesor of Wii U and 3DS and the actual Wii U/3DS will still be around for 2 more years launching a new game each 6 months now and the actual succesors will launch until 2017 or when PS5 and X2 arrives just so the three can compete evenly and the Wii U succesor will be called New Wii U 2 and the handheld New 3 Double DS XL.... And yet without a Metroid game or Mother 3 on the west! Good times ahead :D

I feel like they said that they would continue to support the Wii U for a while after the NX launches, but I might be crazy.

Neoxon

No. Make a new sequel with more content.

540p

Cartridges

Yes

GameCube levels

3DS only

Yes to Xenoblade

Shared suspending games and such. Resume on a console or handheld vice versa.
That'd be awesome. But while I can see this working for the potential cartridges between the two form factors, what about digital copies? Wouldn't this feature require an internet connection for said digital versions of games to interact between the NX Console & the NX Handheld under the same account?

sörine

Banned
  • Should Nintendo release a port of Splatoon for the NX Platform's launch or just fast-track a sequel for 2017? Both
  • What resolution do you think the NX Handheld will run at? 540p
  • How do you think Nintendo will handle shared games between all form factors with physical media (if at all)? Universal Game Card
  • Do you think we'll get a Smash 4 re-release with all of the DLC included? Hopefully
  • How much third party support are you expecting for the NX Platform at launch. Japan All-Stars + Western Kiddies + Loyalist Nindies
  • Assuming Pokémon Z is out next year, do you think it'll be 3DS-only, NX Platform-only, or a cross-gen release? 3DS only, n3DS enhanced
  • Do you think Xenoblade X or Super Mario Maker will see a NX Platform port? XBX no, SMM yes
  • How do you think the NX Console & NX Handheld will interact besides sharing most of their games? off-tv streaming, optional extra controller, local multiplayer, cloud save share

Neoxon

sörine;187566669 said:
  • Should Nintendo release a port of Splatoon for the NX Platform's launch or just fast-track a sequel for 2017? Both
  • How do you think Nintendo will handle shared games between all form factors with physical media (if at all)? Universal Game Card
  • Do you think we'll get a Smash 4 re-release with all of the DLC included? Hopefully
  • How much third party support are you expecting for the NX Platform at launch. Japan All-Stars + Western Kiddies + Loyalist Nindies
  • Assuming Pokémon Z is out next year, do you think it'll be 3DS-only, NX Platform-only, or a cross-gen release? 3DS only, n3DS enhanced
  • Do you think Xenoblade X or Super Mario Maker will see a NX Platform port? XBX no, SMM yes
  • How do you think the NX Console & NX Handheld will interact besides sharing most of their games? off-tv streaming, optional extra controller, local multiplayer
As far as Super Mario Maker goes, how do you think the potential lack of a GamePad will be handled? My guess is that the NX Console's controller will have a touchpad to alleviate the issue & line up with the NX Handheld's probable touch screen. Maybe a companion app, but only if the NX Console lacks a touchpad on the controller.

Griss

1. No, because I'm not sure NX will be Gamepad compatible and because Splatoon needs to be kept 'new' and 'fresh'. That's its current role. A sequel could see huge improvements, too. Full steam ahead on the sequel.

2. Either 720p or 540p or equivalent. 720p is enticing because of cheap 720p phone screens to buy in bulk but 540p is easier to drive... so 540p.

3. This is a really good question, and I have no idea. The handheld will surely take SD cards or the equivalent. Perhaps the console takes the same? I think it's more likely that they just don't do cross-buy at all.

4. Yes, I do.

5. The same as the Wii U. Certain franchises will be there, often 6 months late. I'd expect Madden and Fifa so long as the console looks like it has ANY chance of succeeding. GTA or Fallout 4? No.

6. If there's a Pokemon Z, I'd expect it to be 3DS only. Porting that shitty engine would probably be all kinds of trouble, and NX is best served with a proper Pokemon game when it's ready.

7. Both no. Xenoblade because it will sell so little, Mario Maker because it's so dependent on the Gamepad.

8. I reckon you'll be able to use the handheld as a controller, and wirelessly send and backup save data between them. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect much.

I don't think anyone's suggesting new hardware annually, for the reasons you suggested. But consoles do undergo revisions. Usually 'slim' ones, to keep the product attractive and the manufacturing prices down etc. These tend to happen after 2 or 3 years. Then after two of these revisions, there's a hardware 'reset' and a new generation of systems. From which the company has to build up a library completely from scratch again.

What people are proposing is that instead of that system, that every 2/3 years the next console revision is actually more powerful, but still backwards compatible. The new revision plays games at a higher 'spec', just like a better PC does. New games have to support the old box to be certified. And there's never any hardware reset. It would benefit Nintendo, in particular, who struggle with a small library and lack of support.

So, think of the smartphone thing, only every 3 years or so. I personally think it makes sense. You'd also get a lot of hardcore users upgrading.
I see what you're saying, but those sort of slim revisions usually just lower the power consumption and take out redundant parts. Very rarely do they increase the hardware's peak performance in terms of visual capabilities. In the history of consoles there's only two examples I can think of, both handhelds, and that's one of the PSP revisions and the New 3DS.

Otherwise it's still a foreign concept to consoles, though I suppose we're about to see if it'll work if rumors of the "enhanced" PS4 coming next year are true. Because I can see the idea working if it's every 2/3 years (preferably 3), but not literally every single year.

-Horizon-

No port, it'll be a sequel

540p seems reasonable

I don't know. I don't think physical games will let you share games between say the handheld and the home version. It just seems to get way more complicated when you involve physical discs. Lets say you have a physical copy. You insert it into your console (either home or handheld). It registers to your account. And you get another digital copy to use on the other console you have. What is stopping you from selling your physical copy once you have the digital copy for the other system? They can't make it so you have to have the disc in your system all the time for you to play the other version, too many people will complain about the inconvenience. Perhaps they'll make it so if you buy one physical version of the game, if you want the other version, you will have to buy it on the other system, at a reduced cost of course. Like if you buy the home version for $60, if you want the other system's it'll be $20. And if you buy the handheld version for $40, the home will be $40.

There will be no smash 4 for NX

3rd party will be the usual ubisoft and EA test games. Japanese developers will be the main ones supporting it. Square Enix, capcom, level 5.

Pokemon Z is 3ds only. The NX handheld will not have BC

XenoX sure, Mario Maker no

I think the handheld and home will be the only ways to get Wii U VC games and remasters to work.

AntMurda

As far as Super Mario Maker goes, how do you think the potential lack of a GamePad will be handled? My guess is that the NX Console's controller will have a touchpad to alleviate the issue & line up with the NX Handheld's probable touch screen. Maybe a companion app, but only if the NX Console lacks a touchpad on the controller.

1. Use the hand held as a controller.
2. Use a Mario Maker app for you tablet or phone.
3. Use the pro controller with a virtual mini screen.

Not difficult at all.

Neoxon

Honestly, I think they kind of have to do a Smash 4 re-release (in my opinion, of course). If Smash 4 DLC ends this month & Sakurai pursues a passion project after a possible (well-earned) break, the NX Platform would be left without a Smash game for at least 5 years. That is, unless either Sakurai goes straight to Smash 5 or a new director is brought on & Sakurai takes a back-seat during development as an executive advisor.

sörine

Banned
I used to think Nintendo would retain a secondary touchscreen on the handheld and the console controller but more and more it probably doesn't make sense longterm. To really make NX device variable a single screen makes more sense so I feel like they'll go that direction.

On the handheld it'll be a touchscreen so that doesn't matter for Mario Maker. On the console I'm guessing it'll allow mouse control for the right analog or you can sync your handheld and use it's screen. Nintendo might also release a smartglassesque android app or something for phone/tablet substitution.

The_Lump

Banned
In answer to Neoxon,
  • How do you think Nintendo will handle shared games between all form factors with physical media (if at all)? They won't. DD FTW.
  • Do you think we'll get a Smash 4 re-release with all of the DLC included? Yes
  • How much third party support are you expecting for the NX Platform at launch. A lot, but it will tale off...
  • Assuming Pokémon Z is out next year, do you think it'll be 3DS-only, NX Platform-only, or a cross-gen release? 3DS only
  • Do you think Xenoblade X or Super Mario Maker will see a NX Platform port? Yes to X. Mario Maker will be an app pre-loaded on NX
  • How do you think the NX Console & NX Handheld will interact besides sharing most of their games? Laser beams and Special Sauce. Maybe a charging dock.

-Horizon-

Gonna be a strange and terrible opinion but I think this Smash will be the last one directed by Sakurai. His health is going to stop him from really getting deep into making another game again :<

Honestly, I think they kind of have to do a Smash 4 re-release (in my opinion, of course). If Smash 4 DLC ends this month & Sakurai pursues a passion project after a possible (well-earned) break, the NX Platform would be left without a Smash game for at least 5 years. That is, unless either Sakurai goes straight to Smash 5 or a new director is brought on & Sakurai takes a back-seat during development as an executive advisor.

Sakurai should be on paid-leave indefinitely.

Seems like a guy who couldn't handle a lesser role though.

He's driven to a fault.

Gonna be a strange and terrible opinion but I think this Smash will be the last one directed by Sakurai. His health is going to stop him from really getting deep into making another game again :<

I, too, am questioning the future of the Smash series. Especially with the way these last games were named... "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U," "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS..." It's almost as if this is Smash's final form, and the subtitle now is just used to differentiate what system this particular game, which will be forever known as just Super Smash Bros., is on.

That is why I think Super Smash Bros. for NX is a no brainer. Also why I think this iteration is getting so much DLC. As you said, given Sakurai's health, I'm not sure if we'll ever see an entirely new entry again. I hope I'm wrong though. Smash is the ultimate hype bringer.

ash_ag

• Sequel. Splatoon's Wii U performance is super-decent, and a mild port may split the NX Splatoon community in an undesirable way.
  • 480p. Processing power may not be enough for keeping clean graphics and high-performance on more than 480p, and I think they will keep two screens. Also better 3DS BC, 1:1 with GamePad's resolution, cheaper, more battery-friendly.
  • Hard to say.
  • Absolutely.
  • Same as always.
  • Not assuming anything. If another Gen 6 game is on the pipeline, it will be 3DS-only. Many reasons to think Gen 7 could be 3DS/NX, including scaleability of the current engine, NX's possible launch in 2016, and Game Freak's practice of working with established user-bases, as opposed to releasing near-launch titles.
  • Xenoblade X, no. Super Mario Maker, yes. Could be a flagship title of the buy-once-play-anywhere initiative, especially because of its dependance on a touchscreen (ie. the handheld -- assuming the GamePad isn't bundled along with the console).
  • They won't share most of their games. Handheld could be used for second-screen experience gameplay (in the GamePad's stead, or in addition to it) and as an additional controller. Some console games may stream to the handheld à la Wii U, some handheld games may be playable on big screen. Games from the shared library could sync save files.

Javier

Here's what i think will happen to Splatoon on NX:

Nintendo is going to separate the Online Multiplayer and Single Player Campaign into two different games. The Multiplayer-focused game will be at launch, and it'll work much like Splatoon on Wii U did. The Plaza Hub will still be there, but there will be new stages, weapons and gear to buy. Your profile, level and all purchased weapons and gear from Splatoon on Wii U will carry over to the new game. The new game will update throughout the entire run of the NX with content not released on the Wii U game (since that one would have stopped updating by then).

Then, a couple of years into the NX run, we'll get another Splatoon game. This one won't have online multiplayer, instead it will focus on single player, which will be a massive open-world 3D platformer, which of course, uses the traditional Splatoon mechanics.

I'm also expecting at least one spinoff with the Squid Sisters (probably a rhythm game).

AmyS

Handheld: 540p with significantly more performance to drive it than VITA.

Console: Right smack in between Xbox One and PS4.

Sequel. As much as it's necessary for an impressive launch, they need to be able to keep big hitter releases going for years, and a Splatoon sequel is their latest contender.
    Vita-ish. Maybe not 16:9, maybe not even rectangular! 16:9 would be simplest for cross compat, though.
    They'll all use the same thing, no discs.
    Yes.
    Some...
    Maybe cross-gen.
    Xenoblade could, eventually.
    Gamepad-like function for specific games if you own both & Cross play for all wifi multiplayer games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's kind of exactly what we want. All the third party games getting released on the PS4 and XB1 plus Nintendo exclusives.

But be realistic for a bit. At this point, it's extremely unlikely third parties are coming back on board.

It's a demographics issue. People are conditioned at this point to buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and very little else.
If you wanted to get third parties on board, the NX has to have a big, worthwhile userbase to tap into, similar to ones found on the X1/PS4.
I don't see how you'd realistically get there these days without third-parties in the first place. Releasing a new console is not going to have all third parties lining up to gamble away their money on a port.

Furthermore, that userbase has to actually actively purchase these third-party titles for the NX to make them profitable enough to keep investing into. If the NX top sellers are still going to be all Marios, Metroids and Zeldas, why would for example EA pour millions into the development of a NX port of their next blockbuster game? I mean, there's 40 million of other current-gen consoles out there right now that are eating those games up like candy.

The Wii and Wii-U both completely failed at achieving this shift in consumer behaviour, and personally, i'm not convinced releasing a current-gen-powered console is going to change the status quo in any way, shape or form. Nintendo really doesn't hold that much sway over the average console gaming crowd these days. That is, unless they do something very radical and innovative again and grab the world by storm like the Wii. Right now, I don't think this 'multiple form factor' stuff sounds like it is going to cut it.

Pokemaniac

I don't think Z is for the 3DS. If on 3DS, will have NX port.

Z will be 3DS exclusive. Anything else would be a recipe for disaster and would be a huge investment for a game that wouldn't sell as well as a new generation.

• Definitely sequel. The first game is excellent, but it's time for Splatoon to move on.
  • 540p
  • carts
  • Only if there are no plans for a proper Smash 5.
  • It probably won't do worse than Wii U or 3DS. I think it can do a bit better, but it probably won't do worse.
  • 3DS-only. Even if it somehow slips to 2017. Gen VI will finish on the 3DS.
  • Super Mario Maker might get one if there's no BC. I don't really see Xenoblade X getting ported.
  • Cloud saves which move seamlessly between devices. Probably able to use the handheld as a controller in some scenarios. Hopefully Link Cable/GBA Wireless Adapter/Wireless support for applicable VC games. If they're feeling ambitious, a VC release of Pokemon Stadium and support for the GBA-GCN cable.

1: They just need to focus on the sequel. It'd give them ammunition for their 2017 lineup, unless they could spare a team to port it to NX w/o drawing away resources from a sequel.

2: 540p

3: They'll hopefully allow for a universal account system that register the hardware, and where you essentially can install and store the games to that account and then download them to a registered device. By tying it to an account instead of the hardware, they can still prove who owns what and make sure there aren't any issues in people being locked out of games simply because they had to replace, say, a faulty unit for a good working one.

4: Hmm....it's...possible. I'd rather they just did a Smash Bros Remix that took fan favorite aspects of the original, Melee, Brawl and 4 and acted as an anniversary celebration of the series, while serving as a preview of Smash 5.

5: Ubisoft'll definitely be there, as will Sega. EA will probably be present but just for a token sports or family release. Activision will be there too, but I doubt w/ COD. Probably a Just Dance edition for NX.

6: Cross-gen. NX handheld isn't coming until 2017 I feel, and they don't want the 3DS to languish in the meantime. All the same, NX could benefit from a beefed-up version, so cross-gen would work best in this example.

7: Xenoblade, yes, in 2017. Not at launch. SMM might actually be an app they pre-install on NX units, probably w/ some features thrown in to take advantage of new controls or hardware features.

8: I'm honestly expecting the NX base system to feature some sort of on-board connection w/ the handheld. Like plugging a SFX cart into a SNES or 32X into Genesis gave those units more processing power, the same could conceivably be done w/ NX console and handheld. How much of a boost the console would get is anyone's guess, but assuming the base unit is roughly on par w/ a PS4, we could be looking at N64 to PS1 level of difference, only this time w/o the drawback of ROM carts as a storage medium.

This also allows Nintendo to go for power and keeping the price for both units affordable ($250 for the console, $150 for the handheld), and more importantly still affordable as a combo unit in comparison to w/e VR bundles for PS4 and XBO come about. In 2017 Nintendo could lower the cost of one or the other depending on sales and sales momentum, and then introduce a VR solution of their own and bundle that in w/ the console and handheld for an affordable price relative to competitor bundles, or just make bundles swapping out the handheld for the VR unit.

ash_ag

Regardless of his health, I do think Smash 4 will be the last Sakurai-directed Smash. I'm sure he will oversee whatever release comes in the future, but I suspect it will be the last he's so hands-on with.

That said, Smash 4 is a more flexible and expandable release that could easily continue heading the NX Smash scene. Although scheduled updates may be coming to an end soon, I wouldn't be surprised if continues to be maintained throughout the NX era -- maybe via a new, smaller team and a different lead designer.

Top Bottom