• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Neoxon

mid-gen? didn't they have their chance for a gen vi part two and waste it this year?

pokemon gen i-2 next year for the 20th anniversary as an nx launch game let's do this.
The anime (as well as other forms of Pokémon marketing) are pushing Z alongside X & Y. Pokémon Z is most definitely gonna come, & likely to the 3DS for the sake of consistency with the rest of Gen 6 (& Game Freak being Game Freak, sticking with older platforms until the bitter end). Though as stated before, I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak released Pokémon Z earlier than usual for the 3DS to maintain a reasonable distance from the launch of the NX Platform.

The 3DS did not do "well enough". They sold 1/3 of what the DS sold. Those would be seen as catastrophic numbers for any company.

Businesses need to grow.

DS was an enormous sales success. No way a successor could have the same sales.

Businesses only NEED to grow when a company expanded strongly based on the success of a product, so the next product must be as successful as the predecessor to utilize the expanded company. But Nintendo bosses where smart enough not to expand the company proportionally to the success of Wii and DS.

The Nintendo dreams in this thread are precious.

I'm looking forward to the endless threads of 'The NX is really more powerful than the Xbox One, this twitter post says so!' whenever it comes out that the NX is very modest in terms of specs.

Just keep your expectations in check. Nintendo can do some amazing stuff, but they can also completely bungle a launch (and product) like no other.

I could say the same of the doom and gloom. Who gives a shit if people are hopong for a beast of a system? They are entitled to do so and it isnt your job to correct them. In fact, it seems like you and a few others cant wait for the NX reveal to be a dud just to champion "i told you so" from the rooftops while hiding under the guise of "just want people to keep their expecatations in check".

Whats funny is that any speculation that leads to a powrful system is quickly dismissed while rumours of a modest system are accepted as gospel. Your goddamn right im hoping for a system that at least has parity with the competition and I will be extemely dissapoimted if this isnt the case. But guess what? Ill get over it.

Im of the mind that each gen is a clean slate. Weve seen sony go from number one to ridicule to back on top. The same can be said from the other two consoles manufacturers. With each new gen, last gen doesnt mean shit as the playing field is reset each time.

Based on that wall street article I remain caustiously optimisitic. Can I be allowed to be caustiously optimistic? Is that okay?

I could say the same of the doom and gloom. Who gives a shit if people are hopong for a beast of a system? They are entitled to do so and it isnt your job to correct them. In fact, it seems like you and a few others cant wait for the NX reveal to be a dud just to champion "i told you so" from the rooftops while hiding under the guise of "just want people to keep their expecatations in check".

Whats funny is that any speculation that leads to a powrful system is quickly dismissed while rumours of a modest system are accepted as gospel. Your goddamn right im hoping for a system that at least has parity with the competition and I will be extemely dissapoimted if this isnt the case. But guess what? Ill get over it.

Im of the mind that each gen is a clean slate. Weve seen sony go from number one to ridicule to back on top. The same can be said from the other two consoles manufacturers. With each new gen, last gen doesnt mean shit as the playing field is reset each time.

Based on that wall street article I remain caustiously optimisitic. Can I be allowed to be caustiously optimistic? Is that okay?

No harm in being cautiously optimistic. The issue with aiming to match the competition though is that the competition has a two/three year lead. There are at least 40 million current gen consoles in homes already, so that's a huge chunk of the market already cornered. If they're looking to prioritize third party on the NX, then they'll run into the same issues the Wii U did (why buy a new console that plays the same games my current console does, plus some Nintendo exclusives on top?)

It's for that reason I'm not concerned about the power of the hardware. PS4 quality would be great, but that's absolutely not what will sell the console. I genuinely have no idea what will sell the console, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised here. Hardware power has to be the cherry on top, not their key selling point.

AntMurda

No harm in being cautiously optimistic. The issue with aiming to match the competition though is that the competition has a two/three year lead. There are at least 40 million current gen consoles in homes already, so that's a huge chunk of the market already cornered. If they're looking to prioritize third party on the NX, then they'll run into the same issues the Wii U did (why buy a new console that plays the same games my current console does, plus some Nintendo exclusives on top?

Well the Wii U was literally matching the competition about 6 years too late. 3 years isn't as atrocious.

10 - 12 million seems conservative to me. If they are going to have backward compatibility along with the next zelda, mario and pokemon ready - they can easily out do those numbers. Good Luck Nintendo.

Neoxon

10 - 12 million seems conservative to me. If they are going to have backward compatibility along with the next zelda, mario and pokemon ready - they can easily out do those numbers. Good Luck Nintendo.
As stated before, Pokémon's next game is probably 3DS-bound (all signs indicate that we're getting Pokémon Z at some point next year). And I'm not sure if the NX Console can (theoretically) emulate Wii U games, since PowerPC is clearly not an option if Nintendo's serious about their "like brothers" approach for their consoles & handhelds.

Doctre81

Don't forget that Nintendo even refused to revise their numbers until the very last minute even when wiiu wasn't selling. Remember when they had like two months to sell another like 5 million?

As stated before, Pokémon's next game is probably 3DS-bound (all signs indicate that we're getting Pokémon Z at some point next year). And I'm not sure if the NX Console can (theoretically) emulate Wii U games, since PowerPC is clearly not an option if Nintendo's serious about their "like brothers" approach for their consoles & handhelds.

Interesting. If the next Pokemon is indeed on 3DS, that would be a silly move imo. I mean it would sell more on 3DS but it can certainly move NX units.

Well looking forward to next E3 to see how this all plays out.

Well the Wii U was literally matching the competition about 6 years too late. 3 years isn't as atrocious.

It's not as bad as the Wii U, but that's not saying much. Turning up to the party three years late is still a crazy move to make, so they'll need something special up their sleeve to make this work. A hybrid console could definitely have that potential, but if they're simply trying to repeat the Wii U approach of "Hey guys! We do third party now too!" Then they might be in trouble...

Eolz

The only issue with having two screens on the NX Handheld is that it kinda ties Nintendo's hands when it comes to cross-compatibility for the NX Console. If they want most of their games to be played on both, then the two should be as close to one another as possible when it comes to controls. While doing this with a second screen on the Handheld isn't impossible, it'd be just another convenience. And I'm not sure if Nintendo wants to go down the GamePad route again for the NX Console.

True, it makes sense too.
In my opinion, I see it as something pretty hard to lose the double screen (again, could still be one tall screen though) in terms of UI and uniqueness for the handheld, especially since it works well and isn't really blocking any features.
For the console, I don't see it coming back as a main feature, but I can see it still being here as a side one (use your old wiiu gamepad for whatever reason you want, new optional accessory, use the NX handheld, etc).

Roo

No harm in being cautiously optimistic. The issue with aiming to match the competition though is that the competition has a two/three year lead. There are at least 40 million current gen consoles in homes already, so that's a huge chunk of the market already cornered. If they're looking to prioritize third party on the NX, then they'll run into the same issues the Wii U did (why buy a new console that plays the same games my current console does, plus some Nintendo exclusives on top?)

It might be a huge deal for a few million at least.
Playing your beloved Nintendo first party games alongside quality/decent (aka no shitty or lame attempts) AAA third party games on the same console is kind of a big deal.
I know I wouldn't have bought a PS4 if this were the case

Not saying they should play that card but they have to start somewhere. Even if NX doesn't sell well enough but the effort is there and the "Nintendo perception" changes then that's a win in the big scheme of things me thinks.

This is obviously a situation that will take longer than a single gen to get fixed but as I previously said, they have to start somewhere. If they're even remotely interested, that is.

Herne

Yeah good luck with that. Remember how many Wii U's you sold in 2012 Nintendo?

What has that to do with the NX? How many units did the GameCube sell in it's first year? How many did the Wii? Nintendo make some weird and sometimes stupid decisions but counting them out is foolish.

How many form factors can we think of for an NX?

Standard Console
DSi/3DS
DSiXL/3DSXL
GBA/Vita
GBASP
Wii U Gamepad

That sounds to me like a 6 year rotation. :D

Banned
The GameCube
The GameBoy

They shall make their return. One a console. One a handheld. #nostalgia

DjRalford

If they can nail a console / handheld which they can release a new upgraded hardware version of annually, which automatically scales game performance across a console and handheld device, and due to the scaling allows older hardware revision to play the newest games still, albeit at lesser fidelity, they will solve 90% of their problems.

Get all that in a package for a reasonable price and they'll not only solve the conumdrum of staying relevant power wise they'll print money.

What has that to do with the NX? How many units did the GameCube sell in it's first year? How many did the Wii? Nintendo make some weird and sometimes stupid decisions but counting them out is foolish.

There are a lot of people out there that take personal offense to practically any move Nintendo makes. Iwata's death mellowed some of them out but it looks like enough time has passed that we're back at the "look at this bitch eating crackers" phase.

Nintendo should be shooting high with their next platform - all the console manufacturers should, but because it's Nintendo, some people are going to act like this is a bad thing. No one is dumb enough to believe that the NX is going to perform like the Wii U when the Wii U didn't perform like the Wii (and the Wii didn't perform like the Gamecube).

I think the naysayers would be a little more tolerable if there was something actually tangible we knew about the NX that they could latch on to.

mookie

Neo Member
The 3DS did not do "well enough". They sold 1/3 of what the DS sold. Those would be seen as catastrophic numbers for any company.

Businesses need to grow.

Businesses need to grow but not every area needs to grow for overall growth to occur. Let's face is. PC sales are on the decline yet somehow Microsoft is at or near an alltime high in stock value. Their core business is slowly shrinking but they've started many new businesses and are thriving as a company. Nintendo can and will do the same. And you're always comparing 3ds sales to lifetime sales of ds. The 3ds will have another decent year of sales numbers and then another maybe year and a half before it stops being sold. I'm confident it will end up somewhere around 65 to 70 million lifetime sold. I don't see them going much lower then that next gen either.

AmyS

The BoyCube

The BoxBoy.

I can't help it, this image popped into my head:

kevuFAk.jpg

Banned
So not mock my GameCube nostalgia. That logo. That boot up noise. That shape and size while still delivering the power. The top loading. Hnnnnng.

h0mebas3

This news make it hard to decide the following: Do I keep the Wii U Splatoon/Smash bundle I purchased on Black Friday, or do I take it back?

Well said.

The_Lump

Banned
No harm in being cautiously optimistic. The issue with aiming to match the competition though is that the competition has a two/three year lead. There are at least 40 million current gen consoles in homes already, so that's a huge chunk of the market already cornered. If they're looking to prioritize third party on the NX, then they'll run into the same issues the Wii U did (why buy a new console that plays the same games my current console does, plus some Nintendo exclusives on top?)...

...that's literally The Dream.

I noticed people becoming excited, because "Blu" and "John Harker" are "excited". I'm not too familiar with these GAFers. I guess they have ties with the industry, or Nintendo in particular.
I can't shake this off my mind now, and I keep wondering if we can expect the NX to be at least as powerful as PS4 or what else could they be excited about?!

pastrami

I noticed people becoming excited, because "Blu" and "John Harker" are "excited". I'm not too familiar with these GAFers. I guess they have ties with the industry, or Nintendo in particular.
I can't shake this off my mind now, and I keep wondering if we can expect the NX to be at least as powerful as PS4 or what else could they be excited about?!

They could be excited about new Nintendo consoles, regardless of how powerful they are.

ZOONAMI

20 million combined handheld and home console 1st production run isn't really that farfetched. 10-12 million seems somewhat conservative if the handheld sells well.

Jackano

20 million combined handheld and home console 1st production run isn't really that farfetched. 10-12 million seems somewhat conservative if the handheld sells well.
It's crazy.

- Both DS, 3DS, even the Wii didn't have a that good launch period. 6M in March 2007 for the Wii IIRC.
- Both of those handheld/console FY 2016/2017 buyers are the same early adopters, and I don't believe everyone is able to double dip two hardware in the same holiday period, so I won't add 3DS first FY and Wii (or Wii U -lol-) first FY sales.
- It would be crazy from Nintendo to expect selling 12M units with two form factors, while their best seeling system must be the Wii with 6M, while their latest system still isn't near 12M in 3 years. You just don't take your all-time record and *2 it. That's business, not wishful thinking.

People need to get this idea of annual upgraded hardware releases out of their head. That works for the smartphone market b/c the overwhelming amount of people who upgrade their stuff do so on contract. The contract basically subsidizes the cost of the phone in the short term, even if it adds up in the long term.

Consoles do not have a subsidization model that works. Games are not a service to an extent that companies can use game sales or subscription revenue to offset hardware costs and thus get the majority of gamers on annual refresh cycles. In other words, the amount of users any company would be selling the new year's model to decreases for each additional year after the base system is sold, especially if the games are scalable across iterations, because only the hardcore gamers (who make up a small amount of total gamers) would continue buying them for incremental upgrades.

Most will wait out for the actual next-gen system. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo know this, which is why that's the model they'll stick with until digital platform services is a reality in the next 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYQ08gxkqA

what other consoles include bootup easter eggs?
You can outright skip the Saturn's boot up by holding the A, B, or C button after you turn it on. Works with each model.

That's the only other one I can think of atm.

I think they're just excited at the prospect of a new platform, whatever it may be. People are again focusing too much on paper specs when again and again Nintendo say that is not their concern.

- It would be crazy from Nintendo to expect selling 12M units with two form factors

Name the last time a Nintendo generation's handheld and console combined first CY sales (1Y Handheld sales + 1Y Console sales) didn't reach 20M units (much less 12M units).

RedSquare

Imagine if this new console is compatible with all previous Nintendo offerings, with the purchase of licensed Nintendo adapters/dongles!?!

A guy can dream...

Banned

The Knight we need. DragonKnight. Well said. Especially the bolded.

Name the last time a Nintendo generation's handheld and console combined first CY sales (1Y Handheld sales + 1Y Console sales) didn't reach 20M units (much less 12M units).

I find the idea that they're talking about 2 different form factors combined sales hard to swallow. They reference specific manufacturers. Surely, the console and handheld won't have every piece of plastic and metal in common. It just doesn't seem like a natural interpretation to me, but who knows?

Neoxon

Just out of curiosity....
  • Do you think people will be pissed at the 3DS getting replaced with the NX Handheld? While Japan had the n3DS for about a year, we only just got it last Spring.
  • Do you think Pokémon Z (likely) being on the 3DS will impact NX Handheld sales?
  • How close to the Wii U do you expect the NX Handheld to be (in terms of visuals)?
  • Do you think we'll get multiple NX Handhelds at launch (Regular & XL, for example)?
  • How many Wii U ports you think will be in the launch line-up for the NX Platform?
  • Do you think Pikmin 4 is headed for the NX Platform's launch?

I find the idea that they're talking about 2 different form factors combined sales hard to swallow. They reference specific manufacturers. Surely, the console and handheld won't have every piece of plastic and metal in common. It just doesn't seem like a natural interpretation to me, but who knows?

The source doesn't even seem aware of the fact that Nintendo talked about their new platform likely taking on multiple form factors, or anything about NX at all aside from that some kind of hardware exists, Nintendo has estimates for it, manufacturers have estimates for it, and certain manufacturers are contributing to it.

The comments about them being combined estimates for handheld and console form factors are really just speculation based on the ballpark of Nintendo's rumored 20m internal estimates being fairly close to 1Y 3DS shipments (~15m units) + 1Y Wii U shipments (~5m units).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm genuinely excited. I don't know the specs, left the industry long ago, and never been affiliated with nintendo in any shape.

ed: what Fourth said.

-Horizon-

Just out of curiosity....
  • Do you think people will be pissed at the 3DS getting replaced with the NX Handheld? While Japan had the n3DS for about a year, we only just got it last Spring.
  • Do you think Pokémon Z (likely) being on the 3DS impact NX Handheld sales?
  • How close to the Wii U do you expect the NX Handheld to be (in terms of visuals)?
  • Do you think we'll get multiple NX Handhelds at launch (Regular & XL, for example)?
  • How many Wii U ports you think will be in the launch line-up for the NX Platform?
  • Do you think Pikmin 4 is headed for the NX Platform's launch?

No

I don't think it'll have a major impact as long as they can get more enticing games on NX handheld and don't price themselves out of their target market, the DS had BW2 but that wasn't the main reason why the 3ds had a crap start. And assuming we get Pokemon Z, its just a 3rd version, not really the start of a new Pokemon gen.

I think NX handheld will be like how the vita was to the ps3

I think there'll be only one version (size), 5 colors though

I see only Zelda and maybe X getting a possible port

Pikmin is all but NX at this point I would say. Didn't miyamoto say he was already almost done with it yet we haven't heard anything at all since. Unless that's the game nintendo will reveal at the game awards lol.

Top Bottom