• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Sometimes I wonder if the Wii U was intended as a stopgap of sorts. The unified platform has probably been in the works for a long time - Iwata has been dropping hints for years, and didn't the new development building start five years ago? And if the NX handheld and console can interact, the UPad could make sense as a transition, as well as the large number of Wii/Wii U ports on the 3DS. Maybe Nintendo expected they could ride this generation out and coast until the NX was ready.

Of course, that doesn't mean they intended the Wii U to flop like it did - they probably expected at least N64-level sales. Their mistakes (well, not the only ones) were a general overconfidence where they expected hardcore Nintendo fans and casual carryover from the Wii would be enough for at least a moderate success, and not being prepared for the difficulties of HD development. The bottom falling on the EA partnership sure didn't help either.

I personally believe that the shift to DS XL having a similar form factor to the Wii U game pad was already proof they were thinking of alinging the platforms. That's something like 6 years ago.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Handheld 2016, home console 2017.

They've got Dragon Quest late next year in Japan on 3DS. Between that and their strategy to cater to more female gamers, I can see them stretching out the 3DS lifespan until 2017. It's a profitable platform for them, even if it is declining, and they can whip up software fairly quickly in order to support it through the next year.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Handheld 2016, home console 2017.
I can see late Summer for handheld, Fall/November for the console. At the earliest.

Or they'll release at the same time. I'm thinking November is the target for both. Nintendo probably wants to start off with a bang during the holidays. Then again, the competition will be fierce at the time.

Honestly, it's anyone's guess. We're talking about matters of readiness on Nintendo's and developers' parts, as well as matters of timing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Nintendo dreams in this thread are precious.

I'm looking forward to the endless threads of 'The NX is really more powerful than the Xbox One, this twitter post says so!' whenever it comes out that the NX is very modest in terms of specs.

Just keep your expectations in check. Nintendo can do some amazing stuff, but they can also completely bungle a launch (and product) like no other.

Banned
difference there being that certain teams are going to have to have things ready by next year. ead tokyo is due, retro studios is due. it's zelda's 30th anniversary and pokemon's 20th anniversary. these are games that would have sway at launch big time.

i don't think they're hitting all at once though. pokemon might be a 3ds game based on the precedent of black/white and black/white 2 happening before x/y, but zelda's definitely a launch title and i think we'll have a 3d mario at launch too, with retro's game saved for february or march.
Yeah I've posted points like this in previous NX threads.

Assuming a standard three year AAA dev cycle and announced software so far, by holiday 2016 these studios will should have games ready:

3D Mario Team
Retro
Zelda Team
Pikmin team
Pokemon team

Imagine the first six months of the NX handheld and console having those IP's and maybe even Mario and Zelda at launch?

georly

The Nintendo dreams in this thread are precious.

I'm looking forward to the endless threads of 'The NX is really more powerful than the Xbox One, this twitter post says so!' whenever it comes out that the NX is very modest in terms of specs.

Just keep your expectations in check. Nintendo can do some amazing stuff, but they can also completely bungle a launch (and product) like no other.

edit: can't find gif, nvm ;_; Wii U 5th element gif

Josh5890

Assuming a standard three year AAA dev cycle and announced software so far, by holiday 2016 these studios will should have games ready:

3D Mario Team
Retro
Zelda Team
Pikmin team
Pokemon team

Imagine the first six months of the NX handheld and console having those IP's and maybe even Mario and Zelda at launch?

If that plus some sort of 3rd party support isn't enough to give Nintendo a good start then I don't know what they can do.

If that plus some sort of 3rd party support isn't enough to give Nintendo a good start then I don't know what they can do.
Looking back at threads for games that were once Wii U exclusive (for example Zombi), so many were "waiting" for the game to get multiplatform instead of going to get/play the game even if some do own a Wii U now.
So, Nintendo could have the best lineup ever for a console/handheld and people would find reasons, aka "i love Nintendo games, but don't want a console" or "game xyz is not going to stay exclusive" or "inferior version on Nintendo consoles". ;)

To change minds, Nintendo has to delivery for at least a whole generation, with exclusive games, with third party games (multi) and with online infrastructure and services. Not saying it's not possible, but ... man that's hard.
Another round of shenanigans by EA and/or Ubisoft could already dampen every effort ...

But i'm still there day one, as always since the N64!

Btw. John Harker and Blu, nice to see that you are excited, should we be excited, too? :D

Anth0ny

3D Mario Team
Retro
Zelda Team
Pikmin team
Pokemon team

they aren't just going to drop all of their big games at once

I can see those five games being spread across the first 12 months, if not longer.

3D Mario and Zelda at launch sounds like a pipe dream to me.

Griss

Regarding the price for the home console:

Everyone says if it's $350 (or more) it's dead, but... does the price really matter? Does anyone here see any way a Nintendo home console can compete with the PS4 or XB1 at any realistic price? Because I sure as hell don't.

So as far as I'm concerned, the price is irrelevant in comparison to whether they find some ridiculous Wiimote-like idea that well sell boxes on its own. If they don't have that, it'll be Wii U 2: Low Sales Boogaloo without question. No 'specs', no price, not even good 3rd party support will change that.

And I don't see that revolutionary gimmick happening again, which I guess is my point. I don't see Nintendo succeeding in the home console business in a big way ever again.

But that's alright, because I'm convinced that 75%+ of those 10-12M units being discussed here are handhelds, and I absolutely can see a way that such a product could be a big success. The console version should be supplementary.

Raitaro

I'm certain to be in the minority here, but man, these rumors are quite disheartening to me as someone who really wished the Wii U would get a full year or more of support with more great, big releases like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker. (Zelda at the very least still needs to come exclusively as not to break the inherent promise of buying a new Nintendo console: getting an exclusive big new Mario and Zelda game. And no, a shared game between Wii U and NX doesn't count in my view.)

I'll probably buy the next console anyway, being a lifelong Nintendo enthusiast, but the way the Wii U has come and almost gone because of Nintendo's own lacklustre marketing/branding and the world's general disinterest (or even prejudice in some cases as far as actual "gamers" go), it'll take some time for me to really trust in the patented Nintendo turnaround when I jump in with the NX and the inevitable "Nintendo blew it again" naysaying starts again.

To each their own, for me Wii U delivered. I have 15 full games + eshop and great VC titles.

And I still need to get Bayo 1+2, Captain Toad (hopefully rectifying that this week), Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby and TRC, Smash, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime Collection and Hyrule Warriors, plus Star Fox and both coming Zeldas. That is a lot for me, probably lots to play even well into the NX release. I have decided to squeeze everything out of the Wii U.

I will get the NX, but after I play every major Wii U game.

This isn't business or even critical thinking at all. It's the console that would come out first, even though I think it's a dual launch.

You're thinking about stopping the bleeding and competing in this generation. I'm thinking about putting Nintendo in the best position to compete next generation.

Holiday 2016 is three years after the launch of PS4 and XBox One. That would be a mid-generation launch. They would be competing directly with consoles that have had three years to build their user base.

Holiday 2017 is four years past the launch of the competition. Assuming we're going back to the average 5 year cycle, and also assuming the rumors are true that Nintendo is actually building a powerful console, this puts them one year ahead of the launch of the PS5 and third X-Box, an opportunity to get a jump on the next generation.

Banned

I can see those five games being spread across the first 12 months, if not longer.

Sure since Zelda U will probably be a direct port with an increase in resolution and AA most likely. 3D Mario will be there launch day.
Looking back at threads for games that were once Wii U exclusive (for example Zombi), so many were "waiting" for the game to get multiplatform instead of going to get/play the game even if some do own a Wii U now.
So, Nintendo could have the best lineup ever for a console/handheld and people would find reasons, aka "i love Nintendo games, but don't want a console" or "game xyz is not going to stay exclusive" or "inferior version on Nintendo consoles". ;)

To change minds, Nintendo has to delivery for at least a whole generation, with exclusive games, with third party games (multi) and with online infrastructure and services. Not saying it's not possible, but ... man that's hard.
Another round of shenanigans by EA and/or Ubisoft could already dampen every effort ...

But i'm still there day one, as always since the N64!

Btw. John Harker and Blu, nice to see that you are excited, should we be excited, too? :D
If they're excited that means the NX is at least meeting their expectations.

atbigelow

I'm certain to be in the minority here, but man, these rumors are quite disheartening to me as someone who really wished the Wii U would get a full year or more of support with more great, big releases like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker. (Zelda at the very least still needs to come exclusively as not to break the inherent promise of buying a new Nintendo console: getting an exclusive big new Mario and Zelda game. And no, a shared game between Wii U and NX doesn't count in my view.)

I'll probably buy the next console anyway, being a lifelong Nintendo enthusiast, but the way the Wii U has come and almost gone because of Nintendo's own lacklustre marketing/branding and the world's general disinterest (or even prejudice in some cases as far as actual "gamers" go), it'll take some time for me to really trust in the patented Nintendo turnaround when I jump in with the NX and the inevitable "Nintendo blew it again" naysaying starts again.

I think the Wii U had more problems than just branding and marketing.

And honestly, it just didn't pan out. That happens. I didn't get my Metroid game, either. But you're also not guaranteed anything when you get a console. You obviously hope it's as relevant for as long as possible. There's inherent risk in buying consoles. I think Nintendo did an admirable job keeping the thing afloat as long as they could; they knew they made a mistake.

I don't think people realize how precarious Nintendo's position is here.

If the console is powerful the price is going to be too high.

If the console is weak they get no ports and are derided by the core gamers yet again.

And then there's the elephant in the room, mobile.

I honestly don't know what the right answer is. They'll sell initially to the remaining Nintendo fans, no one questions that. What is a mystery is how they stop their marketshare slide and grow again.

This is basically it. Me and most of my circle of friends own xbox or ps4 and/or pc for our gaming. We are not interested in the usual nintendo offerings. What will they do to get our attention?

AdanVC

They NEED to get ready all the big games they can once NX launches if they want to have a succesful launch. A brand 3D Mario and a Zelda port of Zelda U would be more than perfect on day one and from there, a big 1st party game each month for the first six months of the console. Otherwise they would have to do another panic mode Direct to apologize for the lack of games and everything would be ruined ala Wii U

Anth0ny

Sure since Zelda U will probably be a direct port with an increase in resolution and AA most likely. 3D Mario will be there launch day.

you'd think releasing two of their biggest possible games on the same day would cannibalize sales but this is the same company who released a 3d mario and a 2d zelda on the same day so who knows

AdanVC

This is basically it. Me and most of my circle of friends own xbox or ps4 and/or pc for our gaming. We are not interested in the usual nintendo offerings. What will they do to get our attention?

That's certainly Nintendo's biggest challenge. And the most difficult as well. The only genuine and realistic way Nintendo could do to attract the core gamers is by making exclusive 3rd party deals just like they did with Bayonetta 2.

And by actually promote the damn game this time as well...

They NEED to get ready all the big games they can once NX launches if they want to have a succesful launch. A brand 3D Mario and a Zelda port of Zelda U would be more than perfect on day one and from there, a big 1st party game each month for the first six months of the console. Otherwise they would have to do another panic mode Direct to apologize for the lack of games and everything would be ruined ala Wii U

I think that they are doing the right thing by having most games release on both hardware (handheld + console).

Imagine if the Wii U had its lineup and also could play 3DS games with some advance effects and higher resolution (they will figure something out). That is huge, fixes there problems with the droughts. I also think that they will be a bit more aggressive with collaborations.

Neoxon

3D Mario Team
Retro
Zelda Team
Pikmin team
Pokemon team

But in all likelihood, Game Freak's game (probably the X/Y sequel game, which I'm guessing will be called Pokémon Z) will be for the 3DS if we take into account how late they are to support new platforms. Now granted, a point was brought up saying that Game Freak was able to get away with it because most Nintendo handhelds were backwards compatible, but I'm not sure if it'll matter (especially considering that unlike the Wii U, the 3DS did pretty well).

That's certainly Nintendo's biggest challenge. And the most difficult as well. The only genuine and realistic way Nintendo could do to attract the core gamers is by making exclusive 3rd party deals just like they did with Bayonetta 2.

To be fair, they did advertise Bayonetta 2 to a decent degree on Adult Swim & YouTube.

Banned
you'd think releasing two of their biggest possible games on the same day would cannibalize sales but this is the same company who released a 3d mario and a 2d zelda on the same day so who knows
That's because they are different audiences. Not every Zelda fan likes Mario and vice versa. Zelda is much more successful in the west compared to Japan and if they want more western appeal for the NX, Zelda on day one is important.

Also, regarding price, if the first digit isn't a 2 or lower its gonna be a hard sell.

I'm not sure Bayonetta is that type of game though. It appeals to a much smaller niche/core segment of gamers and it's not going to move units. And more games of that type probably aren't either. What I honestly think Nintendo needs to somehow try to do is attract the more casual audience again because I just don't see how their is a blueprint for them to get the PS/Xbox audience on their side.

trixx

Virtual console needs to have better support on this console. Have classic snes/nes/game boy and gba games available day one for cheap. Like the 30 cent vc game launch on wii u to get people to jump in

Services/apps being available at launch could really help them out

Neoxon

I'm not sure Bayonetta is that type of game though. It appeals to a much smaller niche/core segment of gamers and it's not going to move units. And more games of that type probably aren't either. What I honestly think Nintendo needs to somehow try to do is attract the more casual audience again because I just don't see how their is a blueprint for them to get the PS/Xbox audience on their side.
But said casual audience is gonna be tough to get back, especially with the rise of mobile gaming.

AntMurda

You chose an extremely niche game to make a point about Nintendo attracting core gamers. The advertising point is also moot, because anyone who would be interested in bayonetta, certainly knew it already existed.

Sulik2

3D Mario Team
Retro
Zelda Team
Pikmin team
Pokemon team

Give me a proper Mario 64 style game and Zelda at launch and I will actually be an NX early adopter.

Josh5890

Virtual console needs to have better support on this console. Have classic snes/nes/game boy and gba games available day one for cheap. Like the 30 cent vc game launch on wii u to get people to jump in

As much as I love the virtual console, part of me thinks that it won't be a huge deal going forward. Considering that Nintendo gave almost no support after 2009/early 2010 to the Wii and the 3DS and Wii-U launches were horrible at best, I don't think Nintendo cares too much about it anymore.

Plus didn't some companies complain that the cost of porting their games to the virtual console was not worth the effort financially?

But said casual audience is gonna be tough to get back, especially with the rise of mobile gaming.

the PS/Xbox audience is honestly going to be just as tough to get back. I just don't see any other road for Nintendo. They have to do something outside the box, something that gets people that normally don't give a shit about Mario or Zelda interested in their console. What that is? I don't know. They were right with waggle. They were dead wrong with a tablet. That's for them and their execs to figure out. I just don't see a plan where they can get, in the next year, people who just spent $300-400 on an Xbox One or PS4 to jump over to their side. People mentioned third party deals, but like what? The Bayonetta thing came to be because Bayonetta is a niche IP that doesn't sell super well, that's really the only reason Nintendo was able to secure it for Wii U. Even Sony with the PS4 selling like hotcakes is barely securing any full on exclusive third parties titles, Nintendo would have no chance. Trying to go head on with that demographic is a huge mistake in my opinion.

Coming out next year is too early. Launch it in 2017 with ports of Zelda Wii U and Smash 4 alongside the usual Mario game to start and it'll be successful.

Neoxon

Coming out next year is too early. Launch it in 2017 with ports of Zelda Wii U and Smash 4 alongside the usual Mario game to start and it'll be successful.
Well unfortunately, it's happening. Nintendo's clearly been slowing down their 3DS & Wii U output for a reason. And all of these reports of the manufacturing of NX devices had to have come from somewhere.

Josh5890

Well unfortunately, it's happening. Nintendo's clearly been slowing down their 3DS & Wii U output for a reason. And all of these reports of the manufacturing of NX devices had to have come from somewhere.

I'm 50/50 on this. I could see it coming next year but Reggie has only confirmed that they will talk more about the NX next year. Plus Nintendo is known for revealing systems a good year before release.

The software is definitely slowing down for Wii-U but 3DS has a decent start to 2016.

Like I said it is a coin flip right now.

Neoxon

I'm 50/50 on this. I could see it coming next year but Reggie has only confirmed that they will talk more about the NX next year. Plus Nintendo is known for revealing systems a good year before release.

The software is definitely slowing down for Wii-U but 3DS has a decent start to 2016.

Like I said it is a coin flip right now.
But you have to consider that a good chunk of the 3DS's first party output are late localizations. Either those, lower-budget/lower-profile games, or Pokémon Z. Basically said late localizations, alongside third party games, are making the Nintendo's 3DS output next year look less sparse than it is.

Gonna build my wiiu library with holiday deals. And just wait and see, kinda done with Nintendos whacky hardware, if they don't get this one right, I'm ready to start tweeting them to just go 3rd party.

Home consoles since SNES have been lackluster in some way. Nintendo gives us rumble, analog sticks, and Mario 64, and then continues to use cartridges, then mini disc, and then a fisher price tablet as a controller. Just hit and miss with hardware. Come on Ninty get it together this time.

Trago

the PS/Xbox audience is honestly going to be just as tough to get back. I just don't see any other road for Nintendo. They have to do something outside the box, something that gets people that normally don't give a shit about Mario or Zelda interested in their console. What that is? I don't know. They were right with waggle. They were dead wrong with a tablet. That's for them and their execs to figure out. I just don't see a plan where they can get, in the next year, people who just spent $300-400 on an Xbox One or PS4 to jump over to their side. People mentioned third party deals, but like what? The Bayonetta thing came to be because Bayonetta is a niche IP that doesn't sell super well, that's really the only reason Nintendo was able to secure it for Wii U. Even Sony with the PS4 selling like hotcakes is barely securing any full on exclusive third parties titles, Nintendo would have no chance. Trying to go head on with that demographic is a huge mistake in my opinion.

Lets be honest here, Nintendo aren't giving up the family friendly image they've made for themselves. Of course putting most of their focus on the core demographic would be a mistake. I imagine that they'll continue trying to net everyone with specific focus on the 'early adopters' at launch with the big first party blockbusters. And core content will come from third party exclusive deals and the odd first party RPG or action adventure. The only real way they can get the core over is to make like Sony and Microsoft and start netting those marketing and exclusive deals, as they've proven to work better than straight up third party exclusive games in sales. Thing is, this wont really mesh well with their family friendly image. Imagine a Battlefield 5 or Call of Duty 15 exclusive marketing campaign under NX. That just sounds crazy and unrealistic.

jariw

I'm certain to be in the minority here, but man, these rumors are quite disheartening to me as someone who really wished the Wii U would get a full year or more of support with more great, big releases like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker.

Perhaps you're in minority here, but I don't think you're a minority in the real world. The Wii U has only 2.5 years as a console now, since virtually all planned Wii U launch titles were delayed at start (only NSMBU and NintendoLand at the start - while Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3 were all delayed). Most casual Wii U users bought their Wii U since the MK8 release. And giving the Wii U users value for their investment is an important focus at Nintendo, according to Iwata's final Q&A to the investors.

We still don't know what the NX is and if it's a replacement to any existing console, but I don't think this NX rumor is true at all. It's the identical rumor that started soon after E3 (on July 02, 2015), and that things like Iwata's passing wouldn't cause any changes to the schedule at all doesn't seem realistic (when mobile gaming got a delay of half a year, for example).

Josh5890

But you have to consider that a good chunk of the 3DS's first party output are late localizations. Either those, lower-budget/lower-profile games, or Pokémon Z. Basically said late localizations, alongside third party games, are making the Nintendo's 3DS output next year look less sparse than it is.

But that doesn't cover my other point. How can we expect Nintendo to reveal a new handheld and console along with fully pushing out their new account and reward system. They have been very quiet of late but I can't see them pulling out all of the stops immediately.

Maybe the handheld is released next year but I still doubt the console is released next year as well.

Neoxon

But that doesn't cover my other point. How can we expect Nintendo to reveal a new handheld and console along with fully pushing out their new account and reward system. They have been very quiet of late but I can't see them pulling out all of the stops immediately.

Maybe the handheld is released next year but I still doubt the console is released next year as well.
They've already revealed the latter two. So all that's left is to go into further detail on the new account & reward systems alongside the reveal of the NX devices. While I could see Nintendo stretching the 3DS's life until Early 2017, the Wii U can't last past 2016 if what we know of now is any indication.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Perhaps you're in minority here, but I don't think you're a minority in the real world. The Wii U has only 2.5 years as a console now, since virtually all planned Wii U launch titles were delayed at start (only NSMBU and NintendoLand at the start - while Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3 were all delayed). Most casual Wii U users bought their Wii U since the MK8 release. And giving the Wii U users value for their investment is an important focus at Nintendo, according to Iwata's final Q&A to the investors.

We still don't know what the NX is and if it's a replacement to any existing console, but I don't think this NX rumor is true at all. It's the identical rumor that started soon after E3 (on July 02, 2015), and that things like Iwata's passing wouldn't cause any changes to the schedule at all doesn't seem realistic (when mobile gaming got a delay of half a year, for example).

I don't get why people think that, due to MyNintendo and Miitomo delay, the console(s) will be delayed too. Especially since that delay was not just due to tuning both of them more, but also due to Nintendo deciding that both of them would need a specific promotion focus, possible only outside the Holiday season.
Besides, Nintendo already launched the first part of this project (Nintendo Account) today in Japan.

Josh5890

They've already revealed the latter two. So all that's left is to go into further detail on the new account & reward systems alongside the reveal of the NX devices. While I could see Nintendo stretching the 3DS's life until Early 2017, the Wii U can't last past 2016 if what we know of now is any indication.

Don't forget how the Wii ended in North America. After Donkey Kong County Returns released in November 2010, the only brand new games (not including ports) developed by Nintendo that were released was Skyward Sword and Kirby Return to Dreamland (technically developed by HAL). That was all Nintendo released in the console side for two years. Another such drought wouldn't be unprecedented. It would be bad for Nintendo but not out of the question.

Top Bottom