• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: Supply chain players gear up for new Nintendo console

Black Hat

Possible theory: What if they are just re-releasing the Wii U, dropping the price and just changing the name.... 10M more sales from the name change and happy days.

NX = Name eXchange.

20 mil seems high even for multiple form factors when considering the Wii U is still at only around half of that. If it's true it better release with a great launch lineup and be very aggressively priced and marketed.

http://www.business2community.com/e...ing-console-2016-01109790#RKO58rR20ITSRTOu.99

So the 2016 semi-custom design wins will have parts 186 one ARM goes beyond gaming. And by the way it is a $1 billion revenue opportunity over three-year period starting sometime in 2016. So we’re excited about that too, because it takes us from a revenue standpoint beyond the two game consoles that we have with Microsoft and Sony. And then for good measure, we provide the technology for Nintendo Wii U where we earn a royalty from an overall standpoint from those companies.

The design wins are interesting because the funding, the R&D dollars for customizing the parts for the products to our customers is precisely pre-funded by the customer and like I said the workload is started and we are spending the money and the resources and the work to go ahead and design the parts to be introduced sometime in 2016.

I’m not going to give too much detail. I’ll say that one is x86 and one is ARM, and at least one will be on gaming, right. But that’s about as much as you going to get out me today…

AMD's CFO did say they're working on a chip for a console launching in 2016, could this be it?

FZZ

Banned
Well a quick breakdown

Coxon Precise Industrial and Nishoku Technology specialize in plastic molding and injection so would likely be the case providers for the device

Lingsen Precision Industries specializes in semiconductor and other component testing.

Jentech specializes in Metal stamping with example of main products produced being thermal heat spreaders.

PixArt Imaging seems to dabble in bunch of stuff ranging from Image sensors to motion tracking sensors and of course capacative touch or optical sensors
Pixart previously worked with Nintendo on the Wii Controller

Delta Electronics designs power supplies and fans for electronics

Nvm then. Looks like it will be a console and not a tablet.

My initial prediction that NX is a console remains intact.

jaosobno

Considering that 3DS sold more than 11 million units 9 months from its launch (first under $250 price tag and then, 6 months later, under reduced, $170 tag), 20 million units doesn't sound too unrealistic.

Nintendo probably learned their lesson regarding pricing (of an handheld device) so they will probably go low from the very beginning.

So, if this is a cheap handheld (I'm talking $150 cheap) and if it manages to impress during initial presentation, Nintendo could have another hit on their hands.

If this is a home console, 20 million units is a pipe dream. They can only hope for a handheld to sell as much.

Is the NX a handheld?

A new console seems.... rushed.

It's only been, what, a year for the Wii U? Two?

Holy shit it's already been four.

crinale

I think Nintendo could get a Wii U-level handheld device in 2016 out easily. It would be a good platform that is a clear step up from the 3DS and Vita, but I question what appealing software they could have in its first year aside Pokemon, and looking at Nintendo's struggles to adapt to HD development, I'm still not certain they have learned their lesson.

Still, it kind of sucks that the WiiU sort of feels like a practice run for HD development more than anything else.

Is it really achievable?

If the 20 million are real this could mean two things: Buying quantities like this means they are going in cheap. Doesn't have to be weak though... but i tend to believe the relaunch theory. New design, new name. New OS and slighty improved hardware. Same level as the new handheld. Shared library. Wii U in it as well after a system update. Instant userbase.

A more powerful handheld sounds right up my alley. Wonder if it'll be a double screen again. And if they step away from the 3D.

JoeM86

Is it really achievable?

Yes it is.

Is it achievable for it to be affordable? Hell no.

A more powerful handheld sounds right up my alley. Wonder if it'll be a double screen again. And if they step away from the 3D.

It better be dual screened. Dual screen gaming is the greatest gaming innovation, and it was one of Nintendo's first that they never really touched on again for like 20 years. Even in the most mundane use of moving the HUD etc. to the second screen frees up a LOT of clutter from the main bit, and on a handheld you can quickly check at a glance.

If they remove it, I won't be happy.

thefro

Their shipments info has been weird in the past, but this confirms a 2016 launch for one of the NX platforms.

didnt the wii u only release back in 2012? seems really early for a new console, but then again xbox had only 3-4 years before the launch of the 360.

If the 20 million are real this could mean two things: Buying quantities like this means they are going in cheap. Doesn't have to be weak though... but i tend to believe the relaunch theory. New design, new name. New OS and slighty improved hardware. Same level as the new handheld. Shared library. Wii U in it as well after a system update. Instant userbase.

Why would they go through the effort of shrinking Wii U hardware when mobile processors have made such strides in power for cost?

Only a select number of games are worth it to bring over and remasters and new installments would be easy then letting people play what they already have.

Possible theory: What if they are just re-releasing the Wii U, dropping the price and just changing the name.... 10M more sales from the name change and happy days.

NX = Name eXchange.
1. They would be manufacturing 20m additional units.
2. WiiU hadn't hit 10m units LTD at the end of last quarter so there's no reason to think they'd magically sell another 10 within a year anyway.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
20M for the first year.

Yeah. Bye bye the idea of a new console. This must be a handheld.

FZZ

Banned
It better be dual screened. Dual screen gaming is the greatest gaming innovation, and it was one of Nintendo's first that they never really touched on again for like 20 years. Even in the most mundane use of moving the HUD etc. to the second screen frees up a LOT of clutter from the main bit, and on a handheld you can quickly check at a glance.

If they remove it, I won't be happy.

You're biased cause you just like it for teh Pokemanz

;)

Cyd0nia

Banned
Having lived through a few console launches, we've normally heard a lot more by now. A lot more rumour, and a lot more specifics about partners. We've heard absolutely nothing. That could either be because this is a new type of product and they're working with some new, tighter-lipped partners, or - it could be that its not as far along as the article suggests. I'm inclined to believe it's either a handheld or the latter.

I think it's best to wait and see what comes out instead of playing the "guess the hardware" game. I also think there's no way those numbers and timing are accurate.

noshten

New handheld bundled with Pokemon NX.
Nothing else would make sense. Realistically the new handheld needs to be sub $199 at launch with room to be further discounted.
Can't say I'm interested in handhelds but remains to be seen.

Personally I would like for the new Handheld to be also an optional Gamepad for their next console. That might actually tempt me to buy it

The Giant

Banned
Nintendo is so gonna announce the next console and handheld next year. With the handheld being the 2016 release.

Linkyn

Early 2016 seems much too early. As it stands, most of their development teams have finished their last project less than 18 months ago. As poorly as the Wii U is doing, surely it would be more sensible to wait until you can guarentee a decent software lineup for the first 6-12 months.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The next Pokémon on a more powerful handheld will be something to behold. It could be in 3D for as much as 10% of the game this time!

JoeM86

You're biased cause you just like it for teh Pokemanz

;)

Because Pokémon shows the awesome usage of it.

Imagine having to dredge through numerous menus to get through to contact people online in it. So cumbersome, so unintuitive.

Or, I just tap their icon on the second screen no matter where I am. Job done.

wsippel

Banned
So, in one of the other threads, I speculated that NX might be based on a Qualcomm Kryo variant. Kryo based chips are expected to ship later this year, and NX test production is supposed to start in October. Maybe my guess was correct. Though I would be somewhat surprised if Nintendo really used such a bleeding edge design. Then again, their new engineering leads have a background in smart devices.

Is it really achievable?

The Tegra X1 found in the Shield microconsole stomps a mudhole in the Wii U on paper, but is severely held back by memory bandwidth. And that will be a year-old design by the time this NX comes out. There are Adreno designs that are faster, but in no product today.

No idea how this fits in with AMD, since AMD is so far behind in this sector. Maybe a HBM-licensed design?

antonz

So, in one of the other threads, I speculated that NX might be based on a Qualcomm Kryo variant. Kryo based chips are expected to ship later this year, and NX test production is supposed to start in October. Maybe my guess was correct. Though I would be somewhat surprised if Nintendo really used such a bleeding edge design. Then again, their new engineering leads have a background in smart devices.

Kyro is said to be pretty beefy. It would certainly address a big issue of the Wii U and that is low speed CPU. Though as someone said AMD has said they have 2 contracts for 2016 with at least one being Game related

KazenY2J

The orders are expected to be finalized in February or March 2016 and mass production will start in May or June 2016, while the console's official launch may take place around July, the sources said.

Nintendo reportedly is looking to ship 20 million Nintendo NX in the first year.
Kanye-West-Shaking-Head-No.gif

Nintendo is so gonna announce the next console and handheld next year. With the handheld being the 2016 release.

Yeah I feel like they won't launch both at the same time as hardcore fans may not be able to get both. I could see the console version of the system launching in March 2017. They need the holidays for the handheld.

Neff

If there's any truth to this, I'd say it's QOL related.

Is the NX a handheld?

A new console seems.... rushed.

It's only been, what, a year for the Wii U? Two?

Holy shit it's already been four.

Wii U will be four years old in November 2016.

July seems unlikely.

When would they unveil then? In a separate conference in 2015? TGS 2015?

And 20 million is bananas lol

Top Bottom