• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dillon rolls his way into Smash Bros.! (as an Assist Trophy)

I love the designs and concept of the DRW series, too bad the control scheme is so awful.

If they continue with the series, it needs to be overhauled so everyone can enjoy it.

VegiHam

Huh. I'm not exactly disappointed, cus I didn't expect him to be playable, but I'm not really happy cus I wanted it. It's cool they're acknowledging him I guess?

Maybe next time Dillon. :|

Shaanyboi

Banned
Glad he's atleast acknowledged. I never would've expected him to be playable, but it would've been rad. Such a great character design.

God, I wish Dillon's universe had some games of as high a standard of gameplay as in design. The character design is some of the best to come out of Nintendo in years and years, and it's trapped inside a repetitive tower defence game.

VegiHam

God, I wish Dillon's universe had some games of as high a standard of gameplay as in design. The character design is some of the best to come out of Nintendo in years and years, and it's trapped inside a repetitive tower defence game.

Yeah, exactly. I enjoyed Dillon 1, but never really finished it, and I haven't picked up the sequel but every time I see the character designs I want to.

So much for sniper squid being an assist trophy.

I avoided the Dillion games as I'm left handed and the gameplay seemed a bit off but they seemed to have sold reasonably on the eShop. Shame as the character designs deserve better (oh so like Sonic then?).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
based on the design alone, he should'be been playable.

Wii Fit Trainer is a playable character with a completely different alt skin. Let that sink in

What kind of post is this?

I may be disappointed/sad/angry that Dillon isn't playable but that doesn't make me lash it out on characters that do make in. WFT is a fine character and the "different skin" makes sense.

Ansatz

Looks great. Reminds me I still need to play the sequel, for some reason the original clicked with me but I'm stuck at 47/50 stars :(

Aw, not playable? Oh, well, this is pretty sweet regardless.

Sonic's reaction may or may not because he's reminded of Mighty.

Not really, he's already in the game, just not playable; DLC frankly couldn't change that situation, they can't really remove the assist trophy to add him as a playable character, can they?
Well, they could change the assist trophy to a unique skin to differentiate it from the playable version, who knows.

Looks great. Got the first game through Club Nintendo or something, but couldn't really get into it.

I'm in the exact same boat. You'd think any game starring a cowboy armadillo would be pure gold; this just didn't really appeal to me. First "tower defense" title I've played, and likely my last.

NEO0MJ

Wow those are some pretty cool designs. I never played the game because people told me it's not lefty-friendly, but I guess I managed Kid Icarus alright, so it might be doable...

As a lefty who bought and played this game it's no where near as playable as Kid Icarus. A shame too, as liked the game's style.

RagnarokX

He rolls much better than Sonic. :)
Edit: And Jigglypuff

ioQoajrbLDjeO.gif

MrBadger

Aw, I wanted him playable. His design is great but his game is so-so. Meh, at least he's in the game, and his model looks great. Now put in Based Squid.

3DS_DRWLastRanger_022013_Scrn06.jpg

I enjoyed the Dillon games. Wish they would flesh out the Gameplay a bit, give it some depth, and make a full 3DS or Wii U retail title out of the IP. The characters, setting, and even gameplay could make a solid new title if Nintendo wanted to go that route.

BTW, I'm kinda surprised by some of the comments regarding the Dillon games. I guess I thought other gamers also enjoyed the Dillon games as much as I did. To each their own I guess.

I'm really happy that Sakurai & his team are including characters from more recent Nintendo I.P.'s in some capacity, and Dillon is a fine addition in every respect. It makes me wonder if there's going to be a character that will represent the Nintendo GBA, DS, & 3DS, though.
Chorus Men!

Also, I'm really surprised that Dillon was allowed anywhere near this game, even as an assist trophy. Guess it really shows that Sakurai is willing to listen to the fans, but not to the extent that he makes bad roster decisions.

Mr.Fox

Dillon is a pretty cool character, but I think he would end up too similar to Sonic if he was a fighter in the game.

Edit:
I don't think copy-paste characters are bad in fighting games though, I simply don't care about them.

Boss Doggie

To be fair, rolling isn't really a primary thing outside of movement in Dillon's games.

NeonZ

Sonic's character model doesn't look quite as detailed as Dillon :/

Nintendy should just make him an alt for Sonic

They apparently couldn't even make real alternate colors for Sonic in Brawl. Look at his colors, they all just change the tone of his fur slightly and accessories. There's no way Sega would let them do something like that.

Boss Doggie

It's like the main combat thing....

I prefer his side kick

ArtworkRuss.jpg

Not really, unless you're gathering ores you have to use claws. He also uses variations of explosives. And of course, he could summon towers.

Russell could be his recovery move!

I was hoping he'd be playable since I think his moveset in his games is more interesting than Sonic's but an Assist Trophy is alright. I'd rather have that than to be ignored. His model looks great.

zroid

Banned
As a lefty who bought and played this game it's no where near as playable as Kid Icarus. A shame too, as liked the game's style.

Too bad... well apparently the sequel has a lefty mode? So that's worth thinking about, I guess.

Boss Doggie

Neither, really. The first one is boring, and the second is apparently more of the same.

I was hoping Nintendo would make him playable, just on the off-chance that it would lead a fun Rolling Western game, but this is good, too.

I thought the second game has a bit more substance vs. the 1st, but it can feel eh to some.

Top Bottom