• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dillon rolls his way into Smash Bros.! (as an Assist Trophy)

Snakeyes

tumblr_mf3fpxIyGI1rkxcqho1_400.gif

Looking good.

Slermy

I really hope Nintendo does more with this franchise, have you looked at the designs?

They're -made- for Smash movesets. I'd buy a fighting Dillon's game in a heartbeat.

Wow, those look great! I totally just brushed off these games. Are they any good?

rawktapus

Wow, those look great! I totally just brushed off these games. Are they any good?

It depends. They're fun but get repetitive quickly. I found controlling and fighting with Dillon to be lots of fun, but the tower defense style of the game kind of got in the way.

BowieZ

Banned
Yes. They are unique third-person adventure style tower defense tactical games with a heavy emphasis on time and distance management.

It's so thrilling, and the battles -- while somewhat repetitive -- are full of different enemy types and different and more powerful moves you can learn with different gear you can buy from your earnings from different relics and gems you can find and sell.

Tip: use your thumb not a stylus.

YMMV if a lefty.

SmithnCo

They are good but not quite great. If they can get the pacing down and polish the tower defense part they'd be great. I hope they keep at it because the characters are really cool.

Unbounded

So freakin' close! With a beautiful design as well!

But at least this means we can get a Wii U Dillon game, right?

...Right?

Elija2

Yeah, I also wish that the Dillon games were better. I hope they do something different with the next one. He's such a cool character and although his games aren't bad, he deserves better.

He would have been great as a character, could have re-used a lot of Sonic animation for him.

I wonder if some assist trophies might not be upgraded into full characters via DLC?

L Thammy

He would have been great as a character, could have re-used a lot of Sonic animation for him.

I wonder if some assist trophies might not be upgraded into full characters via DLC?

Sure, they can just use the Other M version as the assist trophy and the Prime version as the playable character. That way there won't be any confusion.

Broritos

Dillon should get a Wii U game with online coop.

I didn't expect him to be playable. I'd rather play as Sniper Squid anyway.

yoshiunity

Here's my post from the smash topic.

... I almost spat out my soda when I saw the picture of Dillon standing next to Sonic earlier today. But then I saw that he's only an assist trophy and immediately felt a bit disappointed.

I'm really REALLY love the Dillon's Rolling Western series, and I consider it one of my favorite new Nintendo franchises. (Also, I think the gameplay is fine the way it works. The gameplay in the Rolling Western series isn't bad, because everything does work well with each other. The only downfall of it is that it's heavy on multi-tasking and can get a bit exhausting.) I think that Dillon would have made an excellent fighter in the game, even more so if they were to some how incorporate the tower gimmick in there.

But even though I'm disappointed, I'm not really upset about it. I've already have plenty other characters I'm eager to use, and just having him in there as an assist trophy makes me happy that he's more than just a collectable trophy. Glad to see him in there in some shape or form, but here's hoping that he doesn't become too obscure over the years and becomes a fighter next time. He's already a bit obscure as it is.

Though I'll admit... him being a Assist trophy is bittersweet not just because of what it means, but from seeing the reaction of the people. Surprisingly I ran into A LOT of people today that were disappointed to see him as an assist trophy. I mean more than I ever saw even talk about the series. When I popped in on here, SSMB, a bunch of other sites I go on and even Miiverse, I was expecting more people to go, "Who the heck is that?" than "Why isn't he playable?!" or "He looks cool."

Short and sweet: It's all bittersweet, but here's to next time!

By the way, squid assassin's name is Nomad.
This guy gets it.

Nomad, also even Boone or Gallo would have made sweet Assist Trophies. (Or possible playable character if I wanted to feel confident.) Russ I think would make a great up-B for Dillon.

Wow those are some pretty cool designs. I never played the game because people told me it's not lefty-friendly, but I guess I managed Kid Icarus alright, so it might be doable...

As a lefty who's 100% both games, I'll say that while it's a bit more tiring than kid Icarus -- what with you flicking on the screen most of the time -- It's totally playable for lefties. Shoot, they added a lefty option in the sequel, but I went back to the normal one because it felt more comfortable. For the normal controls, you use your left hand to steer with the circle pad and your right to rev Dillon with the touchscreen.

Now the only thing Dillon needs is a good game

He's has two. (And I don't mean Smash 3ds and WiiU.)

Another wouldn't hurt though.

*looks at Nintendo direction.*

Hinty hint hint.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are people insisting that Dillon only rolls in his game :/

Despite the title, rolling is only like, 1/4th of his arsenal.

Multro

Neo Member
This announcement reinforces the fact I should really beat this game. Got it free from Club Nintendo back in November. Totally happy to see him in it though!

Why are people insisting that Dillon only rolls in his game :/

Despite the title, rolling is only like, 1/4th of his arsenal.

Probably because they likely haven't played it, every time I see people act like you could costume swap him with Sonic because they both have a charging roll and it'd be a job done i'm kind of puzzled, he'd share a sort of similar Down B at best with less speed and more impact and then everything else would be completely different.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Probably because they likely haven't played it, every time I see people act like you could costume swap him with Sonic because they both have a charging roll and it'd be a job done i'm kind of puzzled, he'd share a sort of similar Down B at best with less speed and more impact and then everything else would be completely different.

the charged roll of Dillon doesn't even work like Sonic's. For Dillon it was wearing down enemies or gathering items, for Sonic it's to go faster

Wii Fit Trainer is a playable character with a completely different alt skin. Let that sink in

Male and Female Wii Fit Trainers are different incarnations of the same character who happen to have the similar body types and, by extent, hitboxes.

Sonic and Dillon are two completely different characters with their own abilities and distinct designs.

I bought the first one but only played it for a little bit.

I'm a big fan of action+tower defense hybrids like Orcs Must Die!, but this one didn't really hook me. There seemed to be too much of a reliance on you as the character doing most of the combat instead of being strategic and letting the towers do the work. This isan't always a bad thing if the combat is fun (like OMD!) but I never found myself enjoying the core controls of Dillion. If I remember right, It relies way too much on the stylus to powerup attacks which just felt unnecessary and not as fun as just using buttons.

Top Bottom