• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis Turns 20 Today

Aggelos

19_detailImg01.jpg

19_detailImg04.jpg

latest

latest

Creator and director of the 1st game, Mikami Shinji, also tweeted about the 20th anniversary today.

Hiroyuki Kobayashi, planner of Dino Crisis 1, and producer of Dino Crisis 2 and 3 also tweeted about it.
Kobayashi is still employed by Capcom, working as a producer.

vi.jpg

=========================================================================================================================================
Dino Crisis beta and early concepts

Highlights fron an interview (Shinji Mikami's words)

Original idea: A Capcom employee wanted to make an adventure game located in an island and the player had to escape the island. There would have been no human beings in that island, only animals of sorts. Mikami kept the dinosaurs only while throwing away the rest of the animals.

Scenario: It took 2 intense months to write down the scenario.

Development: 35 people worked during the span of 2 years and 7 months to get the game done.

Artificial Intelligence: 2 developers worked full time on the dinosaurs A.I.

Dinosaurs animations: Developers studied the movements-motion of crocodiles, birds and big cats.

Game Engine: It was created specifically for Dino Crisis.

Things to Regret: Due to technical limitations, the dinosaurs can't hunt you down by smelling the blood of your injuries (as Mikami would have wanted initially).

Changes: Western version is harder (than the Japanese) having the auto aim removed and the Continues lessened..

Zombies or Dinosaurs? Mikami likes RE1 more than RE2, but he prefers Dino Crisis over the two of them.

This far, this is the only official word that Capcom has given about Dino Crisis.
In December 2017 when Jawmuncher, a long-lasting champion/proponent of the Dino Crisis series, asked Capcom Development Division 1 about the possibility of seeing a new Dino Crisis anytime soon, they replied the following :

Last edited:
Owned the first two games on the PlayStation, then the first one on Dreamcast, and the third one on Xbox. Great series which Capcom should revisit.

Aggelos

2 was way better

Dino 2 was directed by Takumi Shu. He had previously worked as a planner/designer on both Dino Crisis 1 and RE2.
He brought an entirely different style to Dino Crisis 2. It was markedly action-oriented for its time, while it kept the fixed-camera angle system. You could feel his new style from the get-go. He evolved it considerably given the fact that the sequel came only one year after the original.
After Dino 2, he swerved from the RE and Dino games, to create his own Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series.

Takumi's twitter

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Dino Crisis one was a perfect horror game with dinosaurs in the middle of everything. Dino Crisis 2 was good, expanded in many areas but it was a departure of the horror genre to a more action focused game. Then Dino Crisis 3 happened and I don't want to talk about it, just that it is BAD

Aggelos

Dino Crisis one was a perfect horror game with dinosaurs in the middle of everything. Dino Crisis 2 was good, expanded in many areas but it was a departure of the horror genre to a more action focused game. Then Dino Crisis 3 happened and I don't want to talk about it, just that it is BAD

Dino Crisis 3 was never meant to take place in space but alas... it seems the plans changed when 9/11 happened.

xcapcom3l.jpg

Last edited:

Aggelos

Both had redeeming qualities, they are both great! I hope they bring it back, with the REsi 2 treatment.

Start bugging-pestering Capcom Development Division 1 for a Dino revival.
They're the folks who made RE7, RE2Remake and DMC5.
Only they could pull it off

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Dino Crisis 3 was never meant to take place in space but alas... it seems the plans changed when 9/11 happened.

xcapcom3l.jpg

Great to know the back story of it. It really seem like a hurried project and all. It remembers me of MotorStorm Apocalypse that happened when the Tsunami hit Japan. The game was good but it felt somethings were missing. I felt bad for Rushy who I followed for many years to see that DRIVECLUB too sold poorly and had that network bug that killed the potential of the game early on, since it was heavily focused on the club and interactivity. And then Codemasters bought Evolution Studios and they made Rush, it wasn't good because people thought it would be a spiritual sucessor to MotorStorm.

Wow so many games I missed for the playstation 1... I keep wanting to go back sometimes but it would be entirely for fan-nness and money matters so I feel like it's important to stay focused
on what games sell now...

Still if there's time to squeeze them in I'd like to try this one somehow, seems like I could find a legitimate copy on ebay etc.

Enjay

Banned
Wow so many games I missed for the playstation 1... I keep wanting to go back sometimes but it would be entirely for fan-nness and money matters so I feel like it's important to stay focused
on what games sell now...

Still if there's time to squeeze them in I'd like to try this one somehow, seems like I could find a legitimate copy on ebay etc.
Don't bother. Dino Crisis = everything people hated about resident evil on ps3&4 but made on ps1. It's only lauded as a classic on neogaf because of reasons ppl forgot (bishop)

Mattyp

Gold Member
Don't bother. Dino Crisis = everything people hated about resident evil on ps3&4 but made on ps1. It's only lauded as a classic on neogaf because of reasons ppl forgot (bishop)

Never played RE on PS3/PS4. But Dino Crisis -> RE on PS1.

I fucking hate Capcom and their lets do our 5th remake of RE. Wont buy another Capcom game until its Dino Crisis.

What? That's not true in the slightest. From level design, to movement, to scarcity of ammo and resources Dino Crisis is a legit ass survival horror game. Just from the game progression thru the spencer mansion like facility alone it has more in common with ps1 RE than anything else. Also, I don't recall RE5 and RE6's heavy emphasis on puzzle solving.

Aggelos

I need a new Dino Crisis with modern day tech :(

We still have to wait and see what the game that Takeuchi teased back in December 2018 will be.
It was a famitsu interview where Takeuchi talked about Capcom Development Division 1, RE2Remake and DMC5.

Jun Takeuchi is the head of Capcom Development Division 1 (where RE7, RE2Remake and DMC5 were made) .

-CS第一開発部の今後の展望などをお聞きしてもよろしいでしょうか?

竹内 まずは、『RE:2』と『DMC5』を皆様にお届けすることが第一だと思っています。そこからつぎの新しいチャレンジをしていければと。お客様の声はとても大事です。「ここはこうだったらよかった」、「こういうものが欲しい」など、いろいろな声に耳を傾けていきたいですね。今後の『バイオハザード』でも大きくリニューアルするときが訪れると思いますが、それまでには僕たちも理想とするものが作れるような力を溜めていきたいです。また、それとは別に皆様が「こんなの作っているの?」と驚くようなタイトルも現在開発中です。

Q: May I ask as to the plans of Development Division 1 from now on?

Takeuchi : Our first priority is to get RE2Remake and DMC5 out there in the market to everyone. From there onwards, how we will proceed will be defined by the feedback that we receive from our customers and userbase. It is going to be for us a careful listening of comments and remarks such as "It would be great if you did that", "We would really love to see this" etc. We are presently honing our skills and pushing the envelope in terms of what we can actualize and substantiate as developers, since I think that when we are to talk about the next RE game and anything else it should mark an era of complete overhaul. Then again, we have been currently working on another game that will make people jump off their seats by surprise thinking "What? They're making that one?"

Aggelos

Btw where there any tweets made by Shu takumi for dino crisis 20th anniversary?
Nope, zippo from him.
Perhaps after parting ways with the RE and Dino games, he focused more on his spiritual child, i.e. the Phoenix Wright Ace Atorney series. He must be preoccupied with that one, I guess, that's why he didn't even remember.

Great pic with Mikami, by the bye

I'm still wondering what producer Kawata has been working since the release of RE7 in 2017. He has worked on all 3 Dino Crisis games. I believe that Kawata is working on the unannounced project that Takeuchi teased.
If indeed the other unannounced game is a new Dino Crisis game, then Kawata would be producing it. Since producers Yoshiaki Hirabayashi and Tsuyoshi Kanda were involved and busy in/with RE2Remake.

In an interview with the Daily Star (link may be NSFW), Resident Evil 7 Producer Masachika Kawata - who worked on all three mainline Dino Crisis games - said that whilst he had "hope in [his] heart", he was not aware of any plans to remaster the fan-favourite dino-horror series.

The Dino Crisis franchise spawned five installments between 1999 and 2003. The original was developed by the team behind the original Resident Evil game, and bore a striking mechanical resemblance. Controlling the iconic Regina, players crossed Ibis Island, a habitat improbably overrun by dinosaurs, in the hopes of finding and securing a scientist thought to be dead but now running a deadly weapons project at the facility.

"I think if you were to create Dino Crisis with modern gaming technology it would be a really exciting prospect," Kawata said, before adding there were not "currently any conversations happening [at Capcom], that I’m aware of."

Last edited:
Nope, zippo from him.
Perhaps after parting ways with the RE and Dino games, he focused more on his spiritual child, i.e. the Phoenix Wright Ace Atorney series. He must be preoccupied with that one, I guess, that's why he didn't even remember.

Great pic with Mikami, by the bye

I'm still wondering what producer Kawata has been working since the release of RE7 in 2017. He has worked on all 3 Dino Crisis games. I believe that Kawata is working on the unannounced project that Takeuchi teased.
If indeed the other unannounced game is a new Dino Crisis game, then Kawata would be producing it. Since producers Yoshiaki Hirabayashi and Tsuyoshi Kanda were involved and busy in/with RE2Remake.

Thanks for the reply man

Aggelos

Love Dino Crisis and Regina is my favorite survival horror protagonist by far.

Although the folks at Capcom Japan classified it as Panic Horror in terms of genre (that's what is written in the Japanese cover パニックホラー)
Whereas Dino Crisis 2, was classified as Action Adventure based on the JP cover (アドベンチャーアクション)

latest

latest

Last edited:

dave_d

Got to agree with this. I tried to like the game and thought, "Hey maybe they did cool stuff to reward outside the box thinking like laser gates killing the dinos." Nope, laser gates do no damage. I gave up on the game at the half way mark when I died because I got knocked down once at full strength and the dino (a regular one) just stomped me to death with no chance to do anything.

game_nomad

Dino Crisis 2 is more of an action game, where you kill dinos for points and then spend the points on cooler guns. It is not a survival horror like the first one.

I
Although the folks at Capcom Japan classified it as Panic Horror in terms of genre (that's what is written in the Japanese cover パニックホラー)
Whereas Dino Crisis 2, was classified as Action Adventure based on the JP cover (アドベンチャーアクション)

latest

latest
Interesting

Aggelos

Mikami Shinji had plans for another Dino game, after the release of Dino Crisis 3 in 2003. This is corroborated by the fact that Capcom released a Dino Crisis 5th Anniversary boxset back in July 2004.
Which indicates that internally things were in motion to do something more with the Dino series.
But apparently everything was shelved eventually and the series lapsed into obscurity.

"I don't know if now is a right time to make a game based on dinosaurs, but I had this idea maybe ten years ago that had dinosaurs, it was named Dino Arrive, and the story is that you, as a character, you're trying to find your lost lover, but you have to go into the past to find her. And you're sent to this unknown world, and it's a land that you've seen for the first time, and that's where creatures like perhaps dinosaurs appear and you have to survive; use whatever means and tactics to survive and try to find your lover."

Last edited:

Aggelos

@ Mochilador Mochilador , I was listening to John Williams' "Reading the Map" from The Lost World the other day, and said "Oh my God !", this cue is sheer perfection. It could easily accommodate the player during their jungle wandering in Dino Crisis 2 (or it could have easily accompanied the player, to be more precise)
It's like Dino Crisis 2 music drew inspiration from such a track.

Last edited:

Mochilador

@ Mochilador Mochilador , I was listening to John Williams' "Reading the Map" from The Lost World the other day, and said "Oh my God !", this cue is sheer perfection. It could easily accommodate the player during their jungle wandering in Dino Crisis 2 (or it could have easily accompanied the player, to be more precise)
It's like Dino Crisis 2 music drew inspiration from such a track.

Dino Crisis 2 kinda has a similar track:

Aggelos

I will go as far as to say that John Williams' track could easily substitute many of the Dino Crisis 2 music when the player wanders about in the jungle-esque environment.

It's also kinda bizarre and queer, how Regina's design was altered for the Western market.
Fishy and shady.

Last edited:
I will go as far as to say that John Williams' track could easily substitute many of the Dino Crisis 2 music when the player wanders about in the jungle-esque environment.

It's also kinda bizarre and queer, how Regina's design was altered for the Western market.
Fishy and shady.
Wow

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I had this on copy back when it first came out, and it played in black and white... A certain puzzle was a hell of a lot of fun. Ended up buying it though because its amazing. Damn shame there isn't a sequel or remaster coming yet :(

Aggelos

Do you think the new dc will be based on the new dinosaur designs?

What do you mean? The ones from Dino Crisis 3 or you mean realistic dinosaurs appearance that says they had lotsa of feathers?
There's nothing confirmed about any Dino Crisis game being in development. Maybe the only thing sure, is that if there's ever gonna be one, it's would use RE Engine

Some Dino Crisis 2 action from E3 2000

A short TV spot that was included in Biohazard 3 Last Escape.

Last edited:

Aggelos

How is it turning 20 if it died back in 2003?

There are chances that it might return

Dusk Golem Mentioned
Just to add speculation and flavour to what Takeuchi said a bit, the surprise title he’s talking about is not a Resident Evil game, and is pretty far along in development. Almost assuredly going to be announced next year and released the year after.

In addition to all the above, it's a question what Yasuhiro Anpo (Supervising director of RE2Remake) has been working on along with Nakanishi Koushi (director or Resident Evil 7)
During an interview posted on Capcom’s Japanese website, Resident Evil: Revelations 2 director Yasuhiro Anpo (along with Resident Evil 7‘s director, Kōshi Nakanishi) revealed that there’s a new Resident Evil title in development, something that is “worthy of praise”. According to Anpo:
“I can’t announce anything yet, but as of now, I’ve been developing a certain product, please look forward to it”

My suspicion is that Anpo and Nakanishi might be working on RE3 Remake.

Last edited:

ROMhack

It's a really great game and I love the amount of tension present throughout. I don't think there's one moment where you feel calm and safe like a dinosaur won't jump through a window at any point to nibble your innards. I'm struggling to think of many modern games that lead with that type of design - I didn't play the Resi 2 remake though so maybe that's one.

Thanks for posting the Mikami interview Aggelos Aggelos

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
As someone mentioned, there is a chance they change the designs of the dinosaurs to be closer from what is now known about them (most with feathers). I think this would give the chance to them be more creative and make some great set pieces for a survival horror story. Not that a new Dino Crisis is coming any time soon.

Aggelos

I hope we get Dino Crisis 3 or a remake at some point. Dino Crisis 2 is one of my favorite games:

You meant Dino Crisis 4, right? 3 is already out ages ago.
Same as an above post of mine : start pestering Capcom Development Division 1 on twitter for a Dino revival. They're the folks who made RE7, RE2 Remake and DMC5.
Only they could pull it off.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Is Dino Crisis 3 good? I never played it because I don't have Xbox. It doesn't look very interesting but is the gameplay fun?

It received mixed reviews.

Personally I didn't play it nor did I like it, if anything. It's a farrago, all over the place.
I would have bought it on PS2 (since I'm/was a die-hard fan), but the plans for being a PS2 game were cancelled by Capcom at early stages and development moved to Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom