• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis Turns 20 Today

Because I have never played it. They have made many original Xbox games backwards compatible so they could they make this too. Then I can play it If I ever get the console. There are other games too that interest me so I wouldn't get it just to play this. :)
I have a better idea why dont you play the game in a xbox emulator so you dont waste money on crappy games .:messenger_beaming:

Aggelos

is there any old interviews with shu takumi before he became with the ace attorney games?

Could be in the Japanese magazines. Who's gonna search for those?

One I know of is this one below, where he talks a little bit about his involved in the development of Biohazard 2 and Dino Crisis.
Shu Takumi was the director of Dino Crisis 1 for a period, but was eventually sacked from that position.
The article also mentions that RE 1.5. was 70% complete before its ultimate scrapping.

This is my translation

Q : Well something I wanted to ask you is that you were involved in the development of Biohazard 2, right?

Takumi Shu: Yes that is correct. I worked on the unreleased Biohazard 2 Prototype version, that is known as Biohazard 1.5 internally in our company.
At that time, while I (we) was/were working on setting out the outline-plan of Dino Crisis, the development of Biohazard 2 had been in dire straits. Our team disbanded temporarily, and I worked on Biohazard 2 only for 3 months. Either way, the team was short of people, so I couldn't know how much we helped eventually in saving the overall situation.

After that, the entire development of the game was re-started from scratch and eventually Biohazard 2 became the successful game as we know it today.
But the part that we had worked on Biohazard 2, didn't make the cut I'm afraid. But I'm OK with that, have no particular grievance to air (laughs)

Q: After that, you played a major role in shaping the Dino Crisis series.

Takumi : Yes I was appointed as director of Dino Crisis, but looking back now, I don't think I understood the role of the director that well.
The consequence of that was that I threw my team into uncalled-for confusion and eventually was fired from the position of director (laughs)
Afterwards, I was appointed as a planner to the development of DIno Crisis, laying out the first half of the game's setting.

Certainly, it was quite a setback what we suffered at that time, but in retrospect, I think it was necessary.
Subsequently, I got involved in Dino Crisis 2 and for some unclear reason I was appointed as director again. Was it because of the producer being a magnanimous person, or was it just that he was too forgetful, I really have no idea (laughs).

At any rate, I truly reflected on my past conduct in relation to Dino Crisis 1's creation, which led me to alter my whole modus operandi.
For a still stronger reason, since this was the sequel we're talking about, I was able to carry it through and keep the director's position somehow.
On one hand, I really like Dino Crisis 2 how it came together as a game, but on the other hand I can't forget, even to this date, how much indebted I am for being given another chance.
On a side note, the scripts of our games used to be done by Capcom's subsidiary Flagship during that period, and all that helped me learn a lot from how to contract sb to write a script for your game to how you construct the entire plot of a game. And this experience proved to be very useful to the process of writing the script-story for Ace Attorney games later on.

Q : Oh I see, all the things that you had learned from there, you were able put your ideas together and integrate them into the creation of Ace Attorney. So once Dino Crisis 2's development completed it was finally time for Ace Attorney's planning phase to commence.

Takumi : I was told that for half a year I would be given complete freedom to create something of my own, something I would personally like.
You know what.... up to this point I may have said that several times already, but the 3 years that I spent working on the Dino Crisis series, educated me on the subject of Dinosaurs in general, since I was a total dummy on that matter and couldn't tell the difference between a Tyrannosaurus and a Velociraptor. Therefore, you may say that my learning was a perk of that experience back then.
In that period, there were various projects that would set the right framework to develop and raise the younger employees within the company, and moreover those projects were leaning towards the idea of making a new game with a small dev team while staying low-budget. As one of those so-called projects, Ace Attorney arose.
As one would expect, it wasn't possible to do the game in 6 months. Nevertheless, it took 10 months to complete it and that was quite a notable feat, I think.

Here's the part in Japanese.

――聞くところによると、『バイオハザード2』の開発にも関わられたとか?

巧:関わったのは、『バイオハザード2』のプロトタイプで、結局発売されなかった、カプコン社内で『バイオハザード1.5』と呼ばれるバージョンですね。
当時、『ディノクライシス』の企画を進めていたのですが、『バイオハザード2』開発がどうにも大変な状況ということで、ぼくたちのチームが一時解体されて、3ヶ月だけ参加しました。とにかく人手が足りなかったんですね。どれだけ助けになったかは…よくわかりません。

その後、結局『バイオハザード2』は一度開発をストップして、最初から作り直して大ヒット作になりました。
でも、ぼくたちが関わった部分は、残念ながら残っていませんね。別にいいんですけど(笑)。

――その後、『ディノクライシス』シリーズをご担当されることになります。

巧:そうですね。『ディノクライシス』のディレクターに指名されたのですが、今思うと、“ディレクター"の意味が分かっていなかった。
その結果、チームを混乱させてしまって、ディレクターをクビになってしまったという…(笑)。
その後は、企画マンとして参加し、前半のステージを担当しました。

当然、大きな挫折だったわけですが…ただ、今考えると、必要な挫折だったと思います。
その後『ディノクライシス2』を作ることになったのですが、なぜか、またディレクターに指名していただいて。
プロデューサーのフトコロが広いのか、単に忘れっぽいのか分かりませんが(笑)、とにかく、『1』のときの自分を徹底的に反省して、仕事のやり方や考え方を変えました。
続編ということもあって、なんとか最後まで作ることができました。『2』は今でも、ゲームとして気に入っているし、もう一度チャンスをもらえた恩は、今も忘れません。

巧:また、このとき脚本をカプコン子会社の“フラグシップ”が担当されていたのですが、シナリオ発注も含めて脚本制作の過程をいろいろ勉強することができて、これが後々、『逆転裁判』のシナリオ制作の際、大いに役に立ちましたね。

――なるほど。いろいろな経験が、すべて『逆転裁判』の制作に集約されることになったんですね。
――さて、『ディノクライシス2』開発後、ついに『逆転裁判』の企画が立ち上がることになります。

巧:「半年の時間をあげるから、好きなものを作っていい」と言われたんですね。これまでも何度か話していることですが、“ティラノサウルス”と“ベロキラプトル”の見わけもつかなかったほど、恐竜の知識がまったく無い状態から『ディノクライシス』シリーズを3年ほど頑張ったので、ちょっとしたボーナスだったのかもしれません。
そのころ、若手の育成枠として、“少人数・低予算で新しいゲームを作るプロジェクト”がいくつかあって、その一つとして『逆転裁判』が立ち上がりました。
さすがに半年、というわけにはいかず、結局完成まで10ヶ月かかりましたけど、これはなかなかすごい記録だと思いますよ。

Last edited:

Aggelos

is there any old interviews with shu takumi before he became with the ace attorney games?

One more

I already mentioned last time, but I have been reasonably blessed by chance encounters with people, like with my college friend Tanaka Shuntarō, who showed me the way after university. Meeting with Mikami Shinji of Biohazard (Resident Evil) fame after I joined Capcom was another important encounter.

I was completely useless when I first joined Capcom. I was really bad at reading the atmosphere, so sometimes I wouldn’t even notice people got mad at me. Despite that, Mr. Mikami picked me out to direct a game where you'd shoot dinosaurs called Dino Crisis. By the way, the only dinosaur I knew was the Stegosaurus. I hurried to watch Jurassic Park to study up (laugh).

Dino Crisis 1 is a dark part of my past. It was my first time as a director, and I didn’t really get who was supposed to do what in the team, so I ended up all on my own. In the end, I was removed from the position of director. But thankfully, I was given another chance with Dino Crisis 2, and I feel I did a reasonable job there. I think that for myself, it was good I messed up once first.

One day, when the completion of Dino Crisis 2 was in sight, Mr. Mikami said: “Thanks for these last three years, even though you know nothing about dinosaurs. You can make whatever you want for your next game.” What I made was Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney GBA)

Aggelos

How much this source is trust worthy?

The best thing that will put to the test the above source is time itself. Only time will tell.
Meanwhile, knowledgeable Dino Crisis and Onimusha fans are patiently waiting the unveiling of the surprise title that Jun Takeuchi teased back in December 2018. The two prime candidates for the surprise title are Onimusha and Dino Crisis.

Even back in 2016 there were Onimusha deliberations taking place at higher levers within Capcom Japan.

Capcom VP of Strategic Planning and Business Development Christian Svensson phrased it quite eloquently, back in 2010 --> "Dino Crisis 3 I think is where it went off the rails if I recall. Dino Crisis' success really was an out cropping of Resident Evil 1 and 2. There are discussions, Dino Crisis comes up from time to time, but there isn't any burning desire from R&D or the business side to light that franchise back up again. Until there's an internal champion with something incredible, things just sort of sit there. As much as I love Dino Crisis, I don't think pre-rendered backgrounds; tank-controlled dinos are going to sell to the level that's going to cover the budgets that it takes to make something competitive in that space. Someone internally may cook up an idea, but we haven't seen the fire from R&D yet and no one's come up with the idea yet."

Svensson later says the Onimusha franchise is 'percolating' at the company, and in traditional Capcom fashion, even hinted something might be coming in the future.
"I don't know that internally there's, on the creative side, massive fire to say, 'Ah, I know have to fix that and reboot that and make that huge again,'" he added. "For the time being I think it's in percolate mode, that is to say, it's not forgotten internally, there are discussions that go on, but I don't think anyone has sort has come up with the 'that's it' idea of how to get the game back up to 3 or 4 million units."

"You may see some things of the brand pop up in the future, I can't say what, but there are certainly discussions about it."

Last edited:
The best thing that will put to the test the above source is time itself. Only time will tell.
Meanwhile, knowledgeable Dino Crisis and Onimusha fans are patiently waiting the unveiling of the surprise title that Jun Takeuchi teased back in December 2018. The two prime candidates for the surprise title are Onimusha and Dino Crisis.

Even back in 2016 there were Onimusha deliberations taking place at higher levers within Capcom Japan.

Capcom VP of Strategic Planning and Business Development Christian Svensson phrased it quite eloquently, back in 2010 --> "Dino Crisis 3 I think is where it went off the rails if I recall. Dino Crisis' success really was an out cropping of Resident Evil 1 and 2. There are discussions, Dino Crisis comes up from time to time, but there isn't any burning desire from R&D or the business side to light that franchise back up again. Until there's an internal champion with something incredible, things just sort of sit there. As much as I love Dino Crisis, I don't think pre-rendered backgrounds; tank-controlled dinos are going to sell to the level that's going to cover the budgets that it takes to make something competitive in that space. Someone internally may cook up an idea, but we haven't seen the fire from R&D yet and no one's come up with the idea yet."

Cool i will trust you i take my time and see if it ture or not

Aggelos

Hahaha. So you like to bump topics like i do in order to promote games like dino crisis

I'd say that the people over at Team Arklay's are doing a good job when it comes to restoring an old game, given the fact that it is a fan project (and not official work done by Capcom themselves)
So, I think you'll agree me with me on this, that their progress is noteworthy and commendable.

Last edited:
I'd say that the people over at Team Arklay's are doing a good job when it comes to restoring an old game, given the fact that it is a fan project (and not official work done by Capcom themselves)
So, I think you'll agree me with me on this, that their progress is noteworthy and commendable.
[/QUOTE
Yes i agree . This fan game is better than nothing from capcom dev team . Which Confuse me ,why capcom hold the ip if they dont use it for more than 10 years?:messenger_downcast_sweat:

Aggelos

MAAANNN!you are the only who bring this devs video every time there is a new update. Which ask the question, are you working with the game devs?

No, not part of that team.
However, we need to keep the fire alive. There needs to be DIno Crisis awareness around the globe, at any cost.

Aggelos

EPMtSbIXsAM9PwS

EPMtSbIWkAAFUmd

Aggelos

Wow you really like to revive old topics just like trying to revive dino crisis.

Well, this fan remake project is worthy of following.
We'll see how it'll go (especially if Capcom turns/resorts to DMCA to claim that it is copyright infringement of their Dino Crisis IP)

Either way, Jurassic Wold 3 is going to be awesome. Old cast is back.
Thus, even if Dino Crisis never gets an official revival by the company that owns it, we'll have at least good Dino flicks even in this decade to savour.

Last edited:
Well, this fan remake project is worthy of following.
We'll see how it'll go (especially if Capcom turns/resorts to DMCA to claim that it is copyright infringement of their Dino Crisis IP)

Either way, Jurassic Wold 3 is going to be awesome. Old cast is back.
Thus, even Dino Crisis never gets an official revival by the company that owns it, we'll have at least good Dino flicks even in this decade to savour.

Well there is a bigger chance that dino crisis will be revived since the social activity for the game has gone up since the famous capcom 2017 tweet about the revival chance .

At this point is a mere matter of time, but we'll defimitely have our Dino Crisis on ps5 for damn sure, I expect a reveal very soon

Last edited:

Mato

Is the original game still worth a playthrough? I remember enjoying the demo on PS1 way back in the day, but I never got around to playing the full game.

Is the original game still worth a playthrough? I remember enjoying the demo on PS1 way back in the day, but I never got around to playing the full game.

YES. Especially for dino crisis 2 since its more action orientation and maybe inspired both devil may cry and re4.

Mato

YES. Especially for dino crisis 2 since its more action orientation and maybe inspired both devil may cry and re4.

To be honest I'm more intrigued by the first game's fully polygonal environments. DC2's prerendered backgrounds don't appeal to me very much. But perhaps you are right, who knows.

Dino Crisis 1, 2, and Resident Evil from 1 to 3 are among the best games to hold on as the time passes, They still look awesome nowadays
I suggest to play them on a Psp system if you have the chance, dark Room, Headphones are my go to

Oh and when playing Dino Crisis 1, prepare some new pants, you will shit your pants with some jumpscare and adrenaline from escaping dinoS, atmosphere is the goat

Last edited:

DonF

great that they are doing a fan remake, bad that capcom hasnt stopped them, cause that means capcom have close to no interest in dino crisis.

Aggelos

From RE 3 Remake. What a nice touch and sweet nod.... Dino-Bites.... So tasty they might go extinct.
What more do we want after all?

Mgjl1CE.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom