• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Direct Deposit Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
What happens if an automated direct deposit (for a paycheck) doesn't go through? Do I have to wait for the next pay period to receive my wages for the current pay period? Or is there a way to somehow get the direct deposit?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ProudClod said:
What happens if an automated direct deposit (for a paycheck) doesn't go through? Do I have to wait for the next pay period to receive my wages for the current pay period? Or is there a way to somehow get the direct deposit?
Followup with payroll, then your bank.

ProudClod said:
depends on why it didn't go through. Do you mean the employer didn't send it? was your account closed? If this is the US, most states have payday laws, you can show the transaction was refused and receive a paper check.

UFRA

Problem with check.

Step 1:

Ask human resources department or supervisor. Ask GAF.

Seriously, no one here knows your specific company's policy or whatever. For me, I work for the government and I once had a direct deposit that accidentally went into a closed acount when I switched banks. I ended up having to contact people in the payroll dept. and they handled it. I received an actual check for the amount that didn't make it through direct deposit, but I got it like 3 weeks after I originally should have. So, just contact the people you need to contact and go from there. There's nothing GAF can do.

jambo

ProudCloud said:
What happens if an automated direct deposit (for a paycheck) doesn't go through?

Well for one thing you should ask your accounts/payroll department instead of posting on GAF =\

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Reason it didn't go through: When I applied for direct deposit, I filled the form out with the correct bank information, but my new address (which I forgot to change on my actual bank account). The direct deposit was supposed to happen at midnight, but when I checked at 1 AM, I so no additional funds in my bank account. After toying around with my online bank account for a little while, I realized why this was. My bank account still had my old address on the address line. Thus, because the information didn't match up completely, I wasn't able to receive the funds.

Here's the problem: Knowing payday was today, I spent my money accordingly. Today, I am in need of several hundred dollars for text books (two assignments due next week that use said text books). I do not have this money. My parents in europe for two weeks. I don't know anyone that would lend me several hundred dollars on a whim. Today's paycheck was supposed to go towards books, but clearly, that's not happening.

I work for Starbucks. Not quite sure who to call (but everything is closed right now). I'll call my manager in 5 or so hours (that's when she begins her shift), but I really doubt she'll be able to do anything for me today. From your experiences, can payroll simply reprocess the direct deposit at any time? Or do I need to wait until next pay period?

UFRA

ProudClod said:
From your experiences, can payroll simply reprocess the direct deposit at any time? Or do I need to wait until next pay period?

Again it will depend entirely on your company and bank, etc.

With my situation, the error was with the payroll dept. They had the new bank account info I sent them, but they accidentally sent it to my old one instead, which was closed.

By the time this was all corrected, it was about 3 weeks from my original direct deposit that I received a paper check with the missing amount they owed me.

Once you get this all corrected, try to get off of the paycheck-to-paycheck style man.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
by the way....

check and see if your library has the textbooks available. or borrow them from a classmate

then use the copy machine.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
DeathNote said:
Does payroll even need your address when the only important info is checking/routing numbers?

Not quite sure, to be honest with you. I just know that i was supposed to receive the funds 2 and a half hours ago, and they're not there. Because the system is most likely automated, it might not go through if there's some sort of discrepancy or inconsistency. Hopefully someone on GAF who knows a little more about this can answer the question.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Also... I can call my bank and be like "what's up i want to trasnfer x dollars from account 12345 to account 7890. since we both have accounts there. So, personally, my parents could spent 5 minutes in Europe on the phone doing that for me.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
DeathNote said:
by the way....

check and see if your library has the textbooks available. or borrow them from a classmate

then use the copy machine.

Good advice. Checking the library is the first thing I did :) Sadly, I can hardly ever find "academic sources" in libraries :(

I kind of dug my own grave in respects to borrowing the textbook from a classmate. I haven't been to class yet.

Check your account in a couple hours. My direct deposit doesn't clear at midnight, more like 3 or 4am. Also is it possible your direct deposit didn't finish processing, and you'll get a paper check tomorrow?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ProudClod said:
Good advice. Checking the library is the first thing I did :) Sadly, I can hardly ever find "academic sources" in libraries :(

I kind of dug my own grave in respects to borrowing the textbook from a classmate. I haven't been to class yet.
i think mine has a copy of every class behind the counter. nothing out in the wild. people would steal that shit then. you have to have ur ID when you check them out for a few hours.

Slavik81

ProudClod said:
Reason it didn't go through: When I applied for direct deposit, I filled the form out with the correct bank information, but my new address (which I forgot to change on my actual bank account). The direct deposit was supposed to happen at midnight, but when I checked at 1 AM, I so no additional funds in my bank account. After toying around with my online bank account for a little while, I realized why this was. My bank account still had my old address on the address line. Thus, because the information didn't match up completely, I wasn't able to receive the funds.

Here's the problem: Knowing payday was today, I spent my money accordingly. Today, I am in need of several hundred dollars for text books (two assignments due next week that use said text books). I do not have this money. My parents in europe for two weeks. I don't know anyone that would lend me several hundred dollars on a whim. Today's paycheck was supposed to go towards books, but clearly, that's not happening.

I work for Starbucks. Not quite sure who to call (but everything is closed right now). I'll call my manager in 5 or so hours (that's when she begins her shift), but I really doubt she'll be able to do anything for me today. From your experiences, can payroll simply reprocess the direct deposit at any time? Or do I need to wait until next pay period?
Really? Any bank I've ever dealt with only actually puts transactions through during working hours. A transaction starting at 12am would be queued for action at 8am. Then it wouldn't even update the receiving end for at least a few hours after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom