• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 will not be supported by Windows 7

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Also I hate to pull the cheapskate criticism... but can some of you explain the following:

Why exactly are you opposed to paying $100 -- *given the fact the OS is by far the most important (and complex) piece of software on your computer, and it lasts several years*

You really think it's unreasonable to pay 100 bucks every 5 or 6 years for the most used software on your system??
Why pay unless there's a compelling reason to? If DX12 is offers a significant performance increase for games then maybe W10 would be worth a $100 asking price. Otherwise, that's $100 that could go towards games or new hardware.

Expected but what about DX11.3? At least with that Windows 7 users could get the new features expect the optimisation relating better to multi-core rendering.
11.3 has everything except the optimizations that reduce processor overhead. That's still a DX12 exclusive.

If Win10 fixes all the complaints with Win8 then it won't matter. People will upgrade from Win7 to Win10.
Hoping so. Have been using w10 for a while now and Imo it is awesome.

As wedded as people are to w7, (quite reasonably), it's unlikely ms would offer support on an os that is 2 versions old by then.

Honestly w8.1 plus a free start menu is a good upgrade from w7.

Bought a Windows 8.1 copy for £49,99 if Windows 10 is going to have a reasonable upgrade price I don't see why anyone wouldn't upgrade to 8.1 or even straight to 10.

Kayant

11.3 has everything except the optimizations that reduce processor overhead. That's still a DX12 exclusive.

Yh I know ;) Was just wondering if they would do that because of adoption from devs. The difference between the two like you said is that because DX11.3 does some "hand owning" whilst DX12 is all up to the devs.

Yup Microsoft being Microsoft. Looks like I will be locked out of Directx 12 then since I was unimpressed with win 8 and Win "10" isn't really floating my boat either. Depending on adoption rates for windows 8 and "10" this could really hurt Directx 12's implementation with people choosing to stay with legacy systems. But hey who at Microsoft gives a fuck they aren't exactly fans of PC gaming no matter how much the keep bleating and promising bullshit.
Are you running w10? Or just basing that on reviews?

If the former what do you see as being inferior to w7? I can't see a single way 7 beats 10 so far.

martino

Microsoft. I expected nothing else. It's their usual m.o.: Creating incompatibility in their old systems by arbitrarily not incorporating newer drivers and file types, thereby periodically forcing everyone to buy new versions of their OS and Office software.

yes they force people and facts clearly show that.
i'm pretty sure not a lot of recent solftware and advanced feature in open source world are ported to work for 6 years old core even if you can do it if you want.
You can't blame microsoft to move forward because they do proprietary solftware.

RedSwirl

Windows 8 was just tainted really early on by Microsoft's decision to try to make it a tablet OS running on desktop. Despite whatever optimizations or advantages it may have over W7, that was the selling point Microsoft went with, and people rejected it. I haven't seen Microsoft going around advertising all the under-the-hood advantages W8 has in some kind of "okay, we fucked up" re-brand. Well, Windows 10 basically is that re-brand.

Thus continues the cycle of Windows OSs: The OS that clumsily tries to shoehorn new ideas people don't want, followed by the OS that shaves and refines those features into something people actually do want.

As for DX12, depending on Windows 10's release date and reception, I agree that this could just end up limiting developer adoption of DX12 rather than speeding up adoption of Microsoft's latest OS. I certainly don't think it's going to significantly speed up W8 adoption.

dr_rus

That's a stupid move on Microsoft's part but since it's Microsoft it was pretty much expected.

Not sold on Win10 yet. It looks like they're bringing back the Start Menu while not really figuring out why it was so popular in the first place. The whole Win10 Start Menu functions much like Vista/7/8 Games folder. Which isn't much better compared to how 8's Start screen functions and certainly won't solve the 8's Start problems for me.

Sean*O

Building a new PC and will be installing Win7 anyway. It's been a great OS, and I have it running on all systems in my home networked together. Also all of my apps and hardware/drivers run comfortably and I don't want to risk some of them not working or not having current drivers on Win X.

They can keep their DX12. That alone is far from being a compelling enough reason for me to switch to their new OS considering I do not use my PC solely for gaming.

That's a stupid move on Microsoft's part but since it's Microsoft it was pretty much expected.

Not sold on Win10 yet. It looks like they're bringing back the Start Menu while not really figuring out why it was so popular in the first place. The whole Win10 Start Menu functions much like Vista/7/8 Games folder. Which isn't much better compared to how 8's Start screen functions and certainly won't solve the 8's Start problems for me.
Huh? The start menu works just like the old 7 and xp one's. same layout and all programs with smaller icons,titles,etc

Somnid

The DirectX Cycle:

Laggard: I'm sticking to my old version of Windows because there's no gaming benefit of upgrading.

MS: We're updating DX on new Windows to make it better for gaming.

Laggard: Fuck you!

bj00rn_

Banned
Was Windows 7 support expected?

Nope.

And I'm surprised not all gamers already moved to W8.1 anyway, it's a snappy OS.

(although I used to be one of the haters, but then when 8.1 came I nabbed my wife's W8Pro student license offer and installed it on my new rig (and left her in the W7 dust..) - And I never looked back

Rubius

essentially this.

Because Windows 10 is coming. Why buy Windows 8 if Windows 10 is coming? And Windows 7 work perfectly for me right now. I tried Windows 8. But everything is so... weird. The menus and all that didnt work, like it didnt make sense. Might need to have a Windows 8 machine to try stuff on. Or I might see what Linux has to offer.

Portman

They did what most people expected them to do. For all of my aversion towards Windows 8 I have found it easy to use the few times I've worked with it but granted that has been on Surface tablets so I will reserve judgement for when I get my new laptop.

Since I was ordering a new laptop last week I figured I'd get it with Windows 8 due to the possibility of DirectX exclusivity and the potential for Microsoft to offer an upgrade path to Windows 10 for current users. Plus I had a license for 7 that was unused so I can always go back.

Hopefully it will live up to what they've promoted and will provide a nice boost but guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

martino

Huh? The start menu works just like the old 7 and xp one's. same layout and all programs with smaller icons,titles,etc

using start menu means keep using windows like you did starting with win95/98.
Win7 works like osx. Using at its full potential the bottom bar become the dock and start menu (or modern ui in win 8 ) become the finder.
you click on the bottom for more common app or push win key and type what you are looking for otherwise.
Yes it is a big reap off but it is damm effective when you're used to it.
you can't go back to win95/98 start menu use of the system

Woo-Fu

Banned
On a SSD it's a beast.

Like every other desktop OS on an SSD.

People don't hate Windows 8, they hate Metro on non-touchscreen devices and I don't blame them. Microsoft was dreaming of a tablet future that never happened when they came up with the good idea of making Metro the default UI for Windows 8. Kind of bizarre considering anybody on the outside looking in could have told them it wasn't going to happen, at least not on Microsoft hardware.

bj00rn_

Banned
Like every other desktop OS on an SSD.

People don't hate Windows 8, they hate Metro on non-tablet devices and I don't blame them. Microsoft was dreaming of a tablet future that never happened when they came up with the good idea of making Metro the default UI for Windows 8. Kind of bizarre considering anybody on the outside looking in could have told them it wasn't going to happen, at least not on Microsoft hardware.

What is this about Metro, I don't see any Metro on my W8.1, it boots directly to desktop, what's the big deal.

13849867120D7cnkMfuM_3_2_l.gif

Great, but did you know there are other games in the world besides BF4?

emag

So this means that no devs will actually use DX12 for like 5 more years?

Hopefully the Win7 -> Win10 upgrade pricing will be nominal at most, encouraging swift adoption of 10. From the technical preview, Win10 really does fix just about everything wrong with Win8 and, in purely desktop-centric form, is a dramatic improvement over Win7 as well.

Unless Microsoft marketing totally botches the rollout of Win10, it should be as ubiquitous a version of Windows as Yosemite is of OS X.

JaggedSac

Strange move from a more open MS. Maybe they are going to make the Win7 to Win10 upgrade very appealing. They are quickly moving away from focusing on Windows anyway it seems.

FLEABttn

Banned
What is this about Metro, I don't see any Metro on my W8.1, it boots directly to desktop, what's the big deal.

Guess you never use the start menu or start button.

I thought this was known for a while.

"Halo can't run on Windows XP." Same thing.

I don't think it's all that surprising, but the Halo 2 on Vista thing was a whole other thing entirely (why does a game made for hardware that's basically DirectX 8.1 need DirectX 10 to run? It doesn't).

So this means that no devs will actually use DX12 for like 5 more years?

DirectX 11 not supporting XP hasn't prevented it from being widely used.

paolo11

I may have asked this numerous times and I want to hear more from Windows 8.1 users so I apologize but...

Is it true that if you are offline for a long period of time, Windows will ask for license validation?

Top Bottom