• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Aaron D.

Pardon if this has already been answered, but will the base price of the game go up as additional content is added?

Thanks.

Afro

Pretty much your dream sim rally come true...and this is only early access.

Handling is merciless. Incredible skill/finesse required. Top tier sound mixing. Damn.

310560_2015-04-27_0002wuhg.jpg

Nokterian

Dirt Rally really reminds me of the my most played rally game of all time Colin Mcrae Rally. What a glorious time to see these race games return this way.

Gemüsepizza;161792554 said:
I like the concept, but the graphics look bad, like a last-gen game with higher resolution. I think I will pass on this one...

Passing on it because of graphics? I think that's your problem, not the game's. It looks absolutely incredible anyway.

Dirt Rally really reminds me of the my most played rally game of all time Colin Mcrae Rally. What a glorious time to see games return this way.

yep, this is more of a 'game' to me then a lot of other titles out there, I feelthat having a pure base with basic menus is a lot better then flashy interactive menus and a lot of filler.

Less it more.

Pardon if this has already been answered, but will the base price of the game go up as additional content is added?

Thanks.

nvm from the steam page

“Yes, the price will increase throughout the Early Access program, and again after Early Access to reflect the state of the game. All updates to the game will be free after a player’s initial purchase, ie pay once, and everything else gets added for free!”

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'm not above blindly throwing money at good looking Rally racing games. God knows we need more of them. I watched about ten seconds of that trailer and went and purchased it... excited for tonight!

MUnited83

For you.
In the videogamer vid they said it's possible the price will go up for the proper launch, but no one was talking about any price increase during Early Access, not even the devs in their stream. And I don't recall any EA game getting price increase in the run up for the launch.
Several EA games do. And you can just visit the store page... It very clearly states the price will go up as features are added.

Sweeeeeet! This came in just in time too: I was just playing Dirt 2 all day yesterday while wishing the game could scrap all of the non-rally sections like the trucks and whatnot. I'll be purchasing and downloading Dirt Rally... Riiiiight.... Noooww!!!

Aaron D.

In the videogamer vid they said it's possible the price will go up for the proper launch, but no one was talking about any price increase during Early Access, not even the devs in their stream. And I don't recall any EA game getting price increase in the run up for their launch.

Cool, thanks.

For some reason I thought Kerbal Space Program slowly went up in price while in Early Access, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

I'm not sure who I'm kidding anyway. Mentioning Pikes Peak content in May pretty much locked my purchase. :p

EDIT:

Okay, saw your edit. Looks like now is the time to buy.

Thanks again.

Several EA games do. And you can just visit the store page... It very clearly states the price will go up as features are added.

I see. Oops. I recall seeing some getting a decrease over time, but no increase. Never bought an EA game though, so don't follow the scene that much.

Cool, thanks.

For some reason I thought Kerbal Space Program slowly went up in price while in Early Access, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

I'm not sure who I'm kidding anyway. Mentioning Pikes Peak content in May pretty much locked my purchase anyway. :p

No, I was wrong. They price will increase. See my edited post.

But yeah, if you're buying it anyway, not a big issue hah

edit: see your edit seeing my edit :p

Sini

I see. Oops. I recall seeing some getting a decrease over time, but no increase.
Games that were kickstarted had their price decrease during EA period because they didn't want to make backers feel ripped off.
Examples are Planetary Annihilation and Prison Architect.

Passing on it because of graphics? I think that's your problem, not the game's. It looks absolutely incredible anyway.

What looks so incredible? The flat lighting? The repetitive vegetation? The boring track details?

To me this seems like an obvious cash grab. It has the DiRT name, they concentrated on features for the vocal die-hard fans to get that cheap word-of-mouth marketing, they jumped on the new trend "early access" so that they don't have to invest much. But the production value seems AA at best. I'd rather want a new AAA DiRT with breathtaking graphics, sorry.

LilJoka

Gemüsepizza;161795488 said:
What looks so incredible? The flat lighting? The repetitive vegetation? The boring track details?

To me this seems like an obvious cash grab. It has the DiRT name, they concentrated on features for the vocal die-hard fans to get that cheap word-of-mouth marketing, they jumped on the new trend "early access" so that they don't have to invest much. But the production value seems AA at best. I'd rather want a new AAA DiRT with breathtaking graphics, sorry.

Yes but this seems like gameplay > graphics, some people are wanting a rally sim.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

This is an actual simulation, unlike Dirt. There has been extensive work done to make the simulation's fidelity as realistic as possible.

It's hardly a "cash grab". It's a completely different type of game than Dirt.

DJ_Lae

Game looks good, handling is great, sounds are even better.

My only gripe is I have no co-driver calling out upcoming corners, so it's more difficult than it would otherwise be. Hopefully they iron out whatever bug is causing that.

IzEDHSw.gif

patientx

What will happen if I try to use my driving force gt with this ? It won't recognize it ? Is there a way to use the wheel for games like this -aka that doesnt officially recognize it- ?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Game looks good, handling is great, sounds are even better.

My only gripe is I have no co-driver calling out upcoming corners, so it's more difficult than it would otherwise be. Hopefully they iron out whatever bug is causing that.

I have the same bug. Apparently there are supposed to be UI signs that pop up that show the next corner as well, and I'm not getting those either.

Some people see them just fine... really weird glitch.

Megasoum

Banned
What will happen if I try to use my driving force gt with this ? It won't recognize it ? Is there a way to use the wheel for games like this -aka that doesnt officially recognize it- ?

Yeah the game will still recognize it. Only issue is that you won't have a preset for optimal FFB settings and button mapping. You can still play around the settings yourself tho.

burn

Neo Member
Can confirm that it works with the GT3 wheel, so probably all Logitech wheels should work.

idrAD3r.jpg

I'm using Logitech Gaming Drivers 5.10, on Windows 8.1 btw.

patientx

Yeah the game will still recognize it. Only issue is that you won't have a preset for optimal FFB settings and button mapping. You can still play around the settings yourself tho.

Can confirm that it works with the GT3 wheel, so probably all Logitech wheels should work.

idrAD3r.jpg

I'm using Logitech Gaming Drivers 5.10, on Windows 8.1 btw.

Thanks guys I bought it.

Edit: Game size is 7.4gb for interested.

Great, now I have buy this when I get home.

Stupid Thrustmaster and their pedals being out of stock. I'll have to deal with the shitty ones.

Schryver

OMG this looks amazing. Definitely gonna buy it in a few months. This plus Driveclub are all I need to fill my racing itch.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Um, from what I've seen in pics and videos it looks fantastic to me? I mean I thought Dirt 2 looked great, and Dirt 3 looked better but lacked in gameplay, Dirt Rally looks even better than Dirt 3 but has gameplay as well, so how is this an "obvious" cash grab exactly?

Haven't read any impressions, but it sounds like there's already a significant amount of game there. Makes sense considering they've apparently worked on it to some degree since the release of Dirt 3. So that's cool.

I quite like the direction they're going. I really liked Dirt 2, specifically the rally-ish courses and because they brought that sensation of going too fast on too dubious roads. More realistic physics and handling isn't necessarily required to accomplish that, but I suspect it'll make you feel it more. So that's cool.

They have a roadmap and everything. I'm sure it won't work out at all and most everything will get delayed by a month or five, but it's good to see what they're planning. So that's cool.

I tend to think paying for unfinished games you don't know how they'll end up is dumb, but this looks relatively unstupid.

Xyber

Um, from what I've seen in pics and videos it looks fantastic to me? I mean I thought Dirt 2 looked great, and Dirt 3 looked better but lacked in gameplay, Dirt Rally looks even better than Dirt 3 but has gameplay as well, so how is this an "obvious" cash grab exactly?

Haven't you heard? Grafix > Great gameplay

Stop living in the past with your old shitty graphics.

Game looks great, gonna wait for a bit more content before I jump in.

MUnited83

For you.
I see. Oops. I recall seeing some getting a decrease over time, but no increase. Never bought an EA game though, so don't follow the scene that much.

Depends on the game really. Many do increase over time(like Arma 3, Kerbal Space Program, etc). They make a initial lower price to both reward the initial buyers and help with the influx of money.

And there are some that do the opposite, putting a expensive price tag (with maybe a couple of bonuses) as to make only people that are really interested on it to buy it, as that will provide better feedback(people with more investment on the game are more probably to submit bug reports and suggestions) and the price will go down as the game gets ready.

lem0n

Driving Force Pro works, sucks not having FFB but itll come, im sure. Its a great game so far. Also, lmao @cash grab comment

deeptech

I still can't believe it actually happened. When i saw the news about Dirt4 being spotted in drivers i hoped exactly for something like this. A rally game through and through, no bullshit. Just like old days

This is a great surprise. I guess after watching people suffer through mods and stuck playing RBR for over a decade they realized that "maybe there´s a market for a sim".

Codemasters racing was nearly ran into the ground by upper management and stupid PR research.

The racing games genre is very interesting and time and time again it shows that for niche sub genres like Nascar and Rally there´s no point in trying to be mainstream, simcade or lite sim. You either go all out hardcore or you go out of business.

Many times developers secure the licenses and have to broaden their audiences because they don´t want to limit their sales. Guess what: average Joe isn´t buying Nascar or WRC, but making it a dumbed down experience you also lose the hardcore audience.

They are slowly realizing you scale back budget and projected sales and make a game designed for the audience that still wants to play that experience. Colin McRae started of as a lite sim due to hardware limitations, as more power became available (PS2, PS3) they went out of their ways to conquer the dudebro type and nearly killed the franchise.

Thankfully there´s hope for Dirt 4, hardcore is the only way to go.

It´s a shame that Grid probably doesn´t have this option. There´s way too many sims reproducing the great idea that early Race driver games had, and Grid Autosport showed us that despite some goodwil, they have no idea where to place their franchise.

As for Nascar, maybe by the time they shuffle the license for the 100th time they will realize that they either go all out or people will keep playing mods from Nascar 2003 or fantasy leagues on iRacing.

In days where not even Need for Speed can understand the market for Need for Speed games, i´m delighted to see that devs are starting to understand that you can´t keep making racing games like it´s still 1999.

Top Bottom