• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disabled Father Killed by Police in Charlotte, NC (Protests Follow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Root said:
Police said they were searching for someone who had outstanding warrants when they saw a man with a gun leave a vehicle. The victim was not the subject of the search, said Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney.

According to police reports, the man, who has not been named, returned to his vehicle. When they approached the man, they claim he “posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers” and one of them opened fire. An eyewitness told the victim’s daughter that a Taser was used on her father, then he was shot at least three times.

Medics arrived and the injured man was taken to Carolinas Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead.

The shooter has not been named. Police have said, per protocol, they will be placed on administrative leave.

The victim’s daughter,... found out that her father was dead via the news while recording from the scene of the shooting. The victim’s brother said he was holdinga book, not a gun, and was just waiting on his son to be dropped off after school.

CBS said:
WBTV reported that a woman claiming to be the man’s daughter live streamed the scene on Facebook for more than an hour after the shooting.

WBTV reported that the woman said she heard police come up to the man yelling at him to get his hands up, and then breaking open the car window. She claimed he was Tasered and then shot four times. In the video, she said the man was disabled, didn’t have a gun and was even scared of them.

WBTV reported that about 100 people are gathered at the scene of the shooting.

Raw Story said:
Officers shot and killed the unidentified victim inside an apartment complex in Charlotte, North Carolina, while searching for another person who had outstanding warrants.

Update: Heavy.com reported that the victim was identified as Keith Lamont Scott.

Investigators said they saw Scott get out of a car with a gun, then get back in. When officers approached his vehicle, they said, the man “posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers,” prompting them to fire.

Edit:

Charlotte resident here. I just saw this on Twitter.

This is apparently the full statement from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, just to enter it into the public record.

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/778414436511997952

Edit 2: Another update thanks to Randolph Freelander - Post #105

More senseless killing and I'm expecting more apathy from the mainstream. Just another black body for the pile. NC is an open carry state btw.

The Root
CBS
Raw Story

Zekes!

I wonder if American cops have any kind of self awareness of how they are perceived by not only US citizens but people around the world?

Christ, RIP to the victim and thoughts go out to his family

marrec

Banned
Just wait until the cops reveal that the book was called "How to Serve Cops" and the twist is that it's a cook book

Herne

Sick actions like this remind me to be glad the police don't have guns in my country.... Not that I'd equate any of the Garda Siochana with the American police.

Ok Fox News, Trump and conservative media, tell us why it is disgusting what Kaepernick is doing, blue lives matter, and all that.

Fucking disgusting.

Friggz

do cops not value human life? i cant even comprehend taking someones life, yet i read stories DAILY, about cops that do it and can shrug it off.

Charlotte resident here. I just saw this on Twitter.

This is apparently the full statement from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, just to enter it into the public record.

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/778414436511997952

Cs17zDLUkAAZqSB.jpg

Cs17zDNUIAEpbi9.jpg

Gracious, I hope this was captured on video.

rjinaz

Anybody else getting to the point where they just don't even know what to say anymore with these threads?

Just (...)

I wonder if American cops have any kind of self awareness of how they are perceived by not only US citizens but people around the world?

Christ, RIP to the victim and thoughts go out to his family

Why would Race Soldiers care about how us common folk feel about them carrying out their duty?

Daingurse

Can't even fucking read. This is fucking ridiculous. I hate knowing that just by being big, tall, and black, that I too am inherently "threatening". Hell, I'm mentally ill too, and that sure as fuck doesn't help with the cops! I honestly dread about this shit happening to my family and I.

Aselith

Why is the shooter not named? He did the right thing and protected himself from a threat...right? Name this hero cop so that the world can celebrate his amazing bravery!

Cohsae

Didn't this exact same thing happen fairly recently?
A guy was shot while just sitting in his car, he might have even been asleep?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*sigh*

So much for de-escalation. I'm sincerely more worried about being shot by a cop than some random person.

rjinaz

So he did have a gun?

Seems like he was armed, probably a holstered gun, got into his van. Got out of the van, maybe because he saw the officers, was then shot.

Unless it's illegal to own a gun where he is and unless he pulled it. I don't see how it's relevant.

Jerm411

Saw a live feed on FB from that area of protests....bottles being thrown and it looks like a powder keg fixin to go off.

This is just an awful story....SMH...when you think it can't get any worse....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom