• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disabled Father Killed by Police in Charlotte, NC (Protests Follow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone can play the anecdote game, dude...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...camera-video-showing-shooting-of-unarmed-whi/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2h7rHgBzTc

I'm not saying racism isn't a factor in police shootings. Just that taking individual cases and comparing them is pointless, the only thing that matters is statistics of all police shootings.

I'm not sure why you posted those since I'm not really interested in seeing white people getting shot for the sake of equality. I'm interested in seeing better police work. If a shotgun wielding brute can still get captured alive, if several hour standoffs can occur with armed suspects, I expect better from every situation and holding officers accountable when they display shoddy work.

JoeBoy101

I'm not sure why you posted those since I'm not really interested in seeing white people getting shot for the sake of equality. I'm interested in seeing better police work. If a shotgun wielding brute can still get captured alive, if several hour standoffs can occur with armed suspects, I expect better from every situation and holding officers accountable when they display shoddy work.

The point he was arguing against was racial disparity in police shootings and using anecdotes to try to prove a case, when some research says otherwise.

That said, I totally agree with what you say here.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So you're telling me cops hate black people, but have a soft spot for Arab terrorists? Come on. They shot at that guy, too. The only difference is the bullets grazed him instead of hitting vitals. You can't just take different situations and treat as if they're comparable... Difference circumstances, different cops. They're not a hivemind.

Ahmad Khan Rahami was shot 7 times and was in critical condition.

Yeah

They didn't go in guns blazing. If you look at the video it is almost a minute of them yelling at him to drop the gun before you hear the shots.
The point is he SHOT at police. But in this case and a number of other cases black people are shot and killed just for having a gun, sometimes a toy gun or no gun at all.

No police don't hate black people, however, it's called institonal racism. I shouldn't need to educate you on this shit. There's a number of posts on this board with resources for you to read that explain this shit to you.

And yes white people get shot and killed by the police, however, per capita POC are disproportionately shot and killed by the police.

Henkka

Banned

You guys were posting anecdotes of white men not being shot by cops even though they brandished guns, and implying those were somehow indicative of how cops treat white people differently in general. So my anecdotes are just as relevant as yours, that is to say, not at all.

But yeah, I agree, there needs to be better policing all around. The videos I posted are baffling, totally unnecessary losses of life. I don't know about the other case, but the female cop was cleared of all charges, btw.

edit: Not questioning institutional racism. Just that you can't use anecdotes to prove it, only statistics like POC being disproportionately shot like you said.

remist

And yes white people get shot and killed by the police, however, per capita POC are disproportionately shot and killed by the police.
There's no doubt our justice system has problems with institutional racism but when you look specifically at the data on shootings you find that per encounter they are roughly proportional. The fact that black people interact with police at a disproportionate rate than white people is a problem, but it's separate from the question of whether given any individual encounter with police you are more likely to be shot based on your race.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/upshot/police-killings-of-blacks-what-the-data-says.html

Not sure where you get that idea.

The police will most definitely stop you and make sure you are legally allowed to carry a weapon if you are displaying it openly.

You can look it up in GA under HB60 (line 18-22) the police cannot stop you for carrying a weapon, or ask if you have a permit. Since this is an NRA agenda I assume in most open carry states this is the norm.

Zoe

You can look it up in GA under HB60 (line 18-22) the police cannot stop you for carrying a weapon, or ask if you have a permit. Since this is an NRA agenda I assume in most open carry states this is the norm.

In Texas they call that "constitutional carry", but police were able to shoot that down making it legal to ask.

You know, typically after you tazer someone, they aren't an immediate threat anymore.

8jQaNVe.jpg

So tragic. From the blurry videos, it does seem that he had a gun. But it was a legal carry weapon wasn't it? Guy had done nothing. Just chilling in his car. Cops always approach every _____ person like they are a suspect and guilty of something. Their utter inability to approach _____ people without aggression is what killed this man. If I was him, and a bunch of yahoos randomly attack me in my car and start screaming and waving a gun at me, I'd be defensive too. But since it's cops, he was a suspect and probably a serial killer or some shit.
ftfy. feel free to fill in the blanks as necessary

Why would I want black friends?
Man I wish guys like you would open with this stuff instead of your critically-analysed-only-by-myself "opinion."
Rather than a ban, this should be his tag with a link to the thread so we know we know what we are dealing with upfront.

I give a damn about facts, not cherry picking individual cases. Whether it has to end a certain way is irrelevant when you look at the bigger picture here. The accusation is that police are killing people because they are black. What evidence is there for this? Pointing out specific cases that have made the news is not a good way of getting to the facts about statistical data. The little research that has been done points to the fact that when it comes to police shootings there is no racial bias involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html
Oh, please. If an entire ranch of armed Black people (or Brown Muslims) was pointing weapons at law enforcement and threatening them with harm if they move on their property, cops would've called in an airstrike. Let a group of armed Blacks or Muslims take over a government facility and watch the Army Rangers come in and run an operation to eliminate the "terrorists". You need to stop with this shit. Like race doesn't matter in policing, but keep your head in the sand. It probably just doesn't affect you so you think it's not a problem. You're wrong.

So you're telling me cops hate black people, but have a soft spot for Arab terrorists? Come on. They shot at that guy, too. The only difference is the bullets grazed him instead of hitting vitals. You can't just take different situations and treat as if they're comparable... Difference circumstances, different cops. They're not a hivemind.
Not a hivemind? Then what are police unions?

Blueingreen

Boston_Tea_Party_Currier_colored.jpg

Rosa-Parks-an-introvert-w-007.jpg

1204802_orig.png

31add3c8e473164b050987438fe01821.jpg

276015r.jpg

You should have paid attention in school.

You're comparing peaceful protests, to looting stores, community homicide, mob violence, attempting to burn reporters alive, and flat out anarchy ?

Is this a serious question or sarcasm? I am going to go with the latter, because it is too stupid to believe it is real.

I am an advocate of peaceful civil protests, not flat out anarchy, violence, and community suicide as Dr King would agree, or am I just a moron?

You're comparing peaceful protests, to looting stores, community homicide, mob violence, attempting to burn reporters alive, and flat out anarchy ?

The Boston tea party? When you tar and feather tax collectors..that's not homicide, mob violence, burning a person alive or flat out anarchy?

Lyn

Banned
Seeing some new stuff pop up in my Twitter feed this morning so thought I'd post it here for those who are still following this. Police released the full length body cam footage that we originally saw a snippet of previously. There should also be a 2 hour dash cam video appearing shortly, unless it is already up and I've missed it somewhere.

I'm heading out soon so I wasn't able to check it out in full, but there is a definite warning that the video is graphic. Not so much in outright blood, but it consists of them rolling him over to try to communicate with him, doing CPR to revive him, etc.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/33317293/cmpd-additional-police-videos-from-keith-lamont-scott-shooting

Edit: Dash cam at the local NBC affiliate:
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/keit...cott-shooting-media-release-pending/328977994

Downhome

DA is talking about charges right now, he has spent 10 minutes pretty much laying out the case .

It sounds very, very good for the officers involved as well.

A very crappy situation, where Mr. Scott was truly in the wrong place, doing the wrong things, at the wrong time. One of those little things that just unfolded by tiny little things happened to be in place in just the "right" way" for a tragedy to occur.

A very crappy situation, where Mr. Scott was truly in the wrong place, doing the wrong things, at the wrong time. One of those little things that just unfolded by tiny little things happened to be in place in just the "right" way" for a tragedy to occur.

Yep. Definitely a tragedy, but he was officially armed.

Audioboxer

I don't like how people lie and then run with it (book, not a gun). That does not help. Nor does the masses of citizens who just believe anything they are fed pre-investigation.

However as I say often about American police forces, too many are trigger happy. To be an officer should entail patience and good decision making. You live in a country where sadly (IMO) there are guns everywhere. You can't just shoot everyone with a gun. Heck it's bad enough police force members are killing people who are unarmed. At least with armed people there is a heightened threat to safety. However you shouldn't be brought into the forces unless your natural tolerance for stressful and dangerous situations far exceeds that of an average citizen. You should have to be in the top 20% so as de-escalation, patience and good decision making come out on top in 9/10 cases.

Taking someones life has to be the last call possible in every situation.

Glix

You truly have no fucking clue as to what you speak about.

And you're doing the thing where white ppl make MLK a saint so that they can compare current black leaders to him.

Guess what. He wasn't.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You guys have to realize that there are like 13 years posting on GAF and trying to argue with adults. I did it when I was a kid.

Seriously how many tragedies/accidents involving black males being killed by police have to occur before things change? Keith Lamont Scott gets added to the list joining Tamir Rice,John Crawford etc.

Seriously how many tragedies/accidents involving black males being killed by police have to occur before things change? Keith Lamont Scott gets added to the list joining Tamir Rice,John Crawford etc.
You're assuming something is wrong with the intended setup of the country when in all actuality it's working as planned. Why do you think black lives don't matter?

Nothing will happen to the officers. He had a weapon, he wasn’t complying, and I also believe he wasn’t allowed to be carrying. I don’t agree with how the officers handled the situation, but it is what it is. Police need better training.

You're assuming something is wrong with the intended setup of the country when in all actuality it's working as planned. Why do you think black lives don't matter?

Oh no I am not assuming anything this country just elected a xenophobic, racist, alleged serial sexual assaulter, and con man president and a good chunk of the country is proud so no I am not assuming anything I know what the country is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom