• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disabled Father Killed by Police in Charlotte, NC (Protests Follow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP_

Banned
This isn't up for debate anymore. He had a gun in his hand. You can clearly see a gun in his hand in the body cam video if you pause it around 18 seconds.

EqVVOUK.gif

I wouldn't say "clearly." Too blurry to really tell what he was doing, other than having his hands to his side. I guess the black thing at his ankle could be the holster but too blurry to tell for sure.

edit: here it is on gfycat so you can more easily slow it down and pause http://gfycat.com/DisloyalFreeHaddock#?speed=0.25

JB1981

Someone just felt like shooting someone and that's what they did.

Bullshit. He was given several commands. The officers were originally plain clothed and went back to their cars to get vests so they were clearly identified as LEOs. The man was given several chances to simply drop his gun, put his hands in the air and comply with the officers. He made some very poor and unfortunate decisions and based on standard use of force continuum practice this is the result

Beefy

Bullshit. He was given several commands. The officers were originally plain clothed and went back to their cars to get vests so they were clearly identified as LEOs. The man was given several chances to simply drop his gun, put his hands in the air and comply with the officers. He made some very poor and unfortunate decisions and based on standard use of force continuum practice this is the result

The guy did not deserrve to get killed.

Correct, but even in an open carry state you do not get to brandish around cops if they say drop it.
And dropping it does not require a wind up and a pitch, just opening your hand and letting go.

I thought you weren't supposed to just drop loaded guns like that? Just in case it may fire upon impact?

You were supposed to hold up your hands, showing intent of dropping and then lower yourself and place the firearm upon the ground gently?

mcrommert

Banned
Correct, but even in an open carry state you do not get to brandish around cops if they say drop it.
And dropping it does not require a wind up and a pitch, just opening your hand and letting go.

End of story

I thought you weren't supposed to just drop loaded guns like that? Just in case it may fire upon impact?

You were supposed to hold up your hands, showing intent of dropping and then lower yourself and place the firearm upon the ground gently?

You are supposed to lower it slowly to the ground...but not hold up your hands...the one not holding the gun is fine though

Anything that looks like you are preparing to get the gun in firing position is not something you will live through

HariKari

If he had a gun in his hands and refused to drop it despite being told to do so while moving towards the cops, the shooting is justified. If it was just on his person (not in his hands) then the shooting is not justified.

It's hard to tell if he has it in his hands from the bodycam footage.

Hex

Banned
The guy did not deserrve t get killed.

No he didn't, but it is also not a situation where there is no explanation or that he was murdered in cold blood as many in here would have you believe.
Mistakes were made, and it is a tragedy.

remist

The gun is in his hand, not holstered and he refuses to drop it. From what we know I doubt that he meant to harm anyone, but those officers don't have full information. It's an unfortunate outcome, but I don't think it's unreasonable for the officers to fear for their lives when the gun is in his hand and he refuses to comply with commands to drop the gun.

Beefy

No he didn't, but it is also not a situation where there is no explanation or that he was murdered in cold blood as many in here would have you believe.

I would call this more then a mistake sorry.

rjinaz

And yet when these "mistakes" are made, it is always the civilians that pay for it, and not the cops. You can understand how the "us vs them" mentality happens.

Dishwalla

Banned
Jesus fuck what is happening in here right now. Could've swore I saw someone refer to this whole situation as a mistake.

Okay seriously what the fuck are you on guy above me. Disgusting.

I'd be with you if there weren't several similar and far more dangerous events all over the states where officers spend minutes to hours actually trying to coax the suspects into dropping their weapons and yielding that end without incident. If they are trained to do as such then situations like this should be few and far between.

Hex

Banned
refusing to comply isn't supposed to be a death sentence

If you are taking on the responsibility of being a gun owner, I have to think that knowing the implications of firearms and law enforcement have to be dictated somewhere.
I know with concealed permit classes there are a lot of rules you have to know.

HariKari

refusing to comply isn't supposed to be a death sentence

It is if you are armed and refuse to comply. Some of you have a completely unrealistic standard for police conduct here. If it's in his hand and he is backing up, he's actually getting in a better position to shoot the cops behind the truck. That may not be his intent but you don't get to be non-compliant as a gun owner. Every gun owner knows this (or should).

Ploid 3.0

The gun is in his hand, not holstered and he refuses to drop it. From what we know I doubt that he meant to harm anyone, but those officers don't have full information. It's an unfortunate outcome, but I don't think it's unreasonable for the officers to fear for their lives when the gun is in his hand and he refuses to comply with commands to drop the gun.

When the wife showed up I would expect them to question her, hold off advancing on the guy, let him stay in the car for a bit. Get in safe positions. use the speaker to alert other people to stay back and safe as a person of interest is in that blocked car.

After talking with the wife, find out who he is, if he really have a mental record (detective work with home base), and how we diffuse the situation with no casualties. Maybe get the wife on the speakers, get her to tell him to put both hands out the window (can't hold gun), and to "walk to my voice darling."

Slow it down.

Con_Smith

Banned
People talking about him having a gun when I've seen video and pics of white people flaunting their open carry status and taunting cops yet they can control themselves then? FOH.

There is a double standard for being black in America. We know it, as we grow up hearing tales and stories that only now come to light thanks to technology, and despite how some may feel comments show how we have to be on our best behavior to avoid death mean while others in this country can show their ass and have higher chances of being able to face trial for their transgressions. Maybe if we peacefully protest the plight of the black man may someday fade into obscurity.

It is if you are armed and refuse to comply. Some of you have a completely unrealistic standard for police conduct here. If it's in his hand and he is backing up, he's actually getting in a better position to shoot the cops behind the truck. That may not be his intent but you don't get to be non-compliant as a gun owner. Every gun owner knows this (or should).

As far as I know, these incidents aren't dreams or supernatural examples of policing.:
Phoenix
Chattanooga
New Castle
San Diego
Kalamazoo
Raleigh, NC

better position? they out numbered him had their guns already drawn they asked him a couple of times to drop the gun and then put bullets in him

that was flat out obey or die no amount of deescalation was used

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Someone just felt like shooting someone and that's what they did.

This kind of statement is silly. The guy was brandishing a gun and not obeying the cop's orders to drop it. This is a drastically different scenario than the title of this thread. An emotional response based on inaccurate information of cop shootings ends up making the entire situation worse for everyone involved.

mcrommert

Banned
I'd be with you if there weren't several similar and far more dangerous events all over the states where officers spend minutes to hours actually trying to coax the suspects into dropping their weapons and yielding that end without incident. If they are trained to do as such then situations like this should be few and far between.

As far as I know, these incidents aren't dreams or supernatural examples of policing.:
Phoenix
Chattanooga
New Castle
San Diego
Kalamazoo
Raleigh, NC

You do know in the san diego one the cop shot the dude right? He survived.

The Beard

EqVVOUK.gif

I wouldn't say "clearly." Too blurry to really tell what he was doing, other than having his hands to his side. I guess the black thing at his ankle could be the holster but too blurry to tell for sure.

Well, there are multiple frames in 1 second. If you pause it on the right frame, you can see the gun in his right hand.

Why are some of you talking as if Scott definitely had a gun? Is there some other video that clearly shows a gun in his hand? Because I don't see one in the videos linked. It looks like he gets out, backs up with his hands at his sides, and gets shot. In the dash video the red shirt cop even lowers his gun at one point after Scott is in full view. This looks bad to me.

Mik317

This kind of statement is silly. The guy was brandishing a gun and not obeying the cop's orders to drop it. This is a drastically different scenario than the title of this thread. An emotional response based on inaccurate information of cop shootings ends up making the entire situation worse for everyone involved.

yeah these poor cops can't get the benefit of the doubt when they kills folks no mo.

dang

JB1981

Why are some of you talking as if Scott definitely had a gun? Is there some other video that clearly shows a gun in his hand? Because I don't see one in the videos linked. It looks like he gets out, backs up with his hands at his sides, and gets shot. In the dash video the red shirt cop even lowers his gun at one point after Scott is in full view. This looks bad to me.

DNA evidence of his found on the gun recovered at the scene

Chococat

If you're ordered to drop a weapon by the police and you don't, I think they're justified in finding you to be a threat.

Really? Cause I don't remember the police or the feds unloading on Bundy's and their lot during Wildlife Siege in Oregon. Everyone of those guys was brandishing weapons and making threats toward citizens, police, and feds.

These guys were actual real threat to law enforcement and the community are large, yet the government went out of their way to try to preserve the Bundy's and co lives at great risk to themselves.

Almost like there are different rules for encounters with white people with guns and everyone else with guns. Innocent until proven guilty for the former, guilty because the cops say so for the later.

Beefy

I am out of this thread. A guy getting killed labeled a " mistake" and the abide or die shit has got me too annoyed.

HariKari

Authorities then engaged in an hour-long standoff with the suspect who barricaded himself inside his apartment. Eventually, authorities forced themselves into the apartment and took Whitlock into custody.

Bit different, don't you think? Even in one of the examples you provided, the guy got shot, he just happened to live.

I'm not saying the cops didn't handle this poorly. They created a situation where one of the most probable out comes was that he'd get shot by asking him to get out of the car. They have no way of knowing his mental state and if the car wasn't running and he wasn't a threat to others, they should have slow played it and had the wife talk to him.

But if it ever gets to "suspect is armed, noncompliant, and advancing", they're probably going to get shot. It's not murder at that point but it's bad policing if you have other options available and don't use them.

Javaman

End of story

You are supposed to lower it slowly to the ground...but not hold up your hands...the one not holding the gun is fine though

Anything that looks like you are preparing to get the gun in firing position is not something you will live through

No you're supposed to flat out drop it. Very few guns will go off when you drop them. (Heavily modified triggers, older revolvers) Most are designed to not allow the firing pin to hit the bullet unless the trigger is pulled.

You're going to make a cop very nervous like you're getting ready to "trick him" if you slowly put it down. Of course you're also liable to get shot if the cop is jumpy when the gun clangs to the ground or worse if it does go off. Best not to have a gun in your hand at all when around cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom