• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disabled Father Killed by Police in Charlotte, NC (Protests Follow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik317

He has a gun. K.
He might have been smoking. K.
He might have had prior incidents. K.

however

it never should have even gotten to this point. He wasn't the suspect. He didn't start in the conflict. I mean put yourself in his shoes (I know its hard for some of you), You are sitting in your car minding your buisness. And then suddenly this dude (who is undercover,no? so he doesn't even seem like a cop probably), pulls a gun on you out the blue. You are scared shittless. Generally the first option is flight or fight...he chose fight against this unknown guy....and by then shit went bad and he is now dead. The alternative is to let this guy have his way and potentially still die and also have your wife killed too, no? I don't know if I'd risk that...just saying.

but again regardless of all that shit. Unless tjhe above 3 are good enough reasons to die, the cops are still very much at fault here and to try to handwave that away as "an unfortrunate mistake" is sad...more so considering a similar event legit happened days before....and another a week before....and another a month before. This isn't some new shocking event guy.

Javaman

Possessing a weapon alone is enough? We have seen videos of other people who have shot and killed, or shot at others and have not been killed by the police. They were possessing weapons at the moment of their capture.

On your first point there's a huge difference between being in the hand or in a holster.

Guns are legal.

Of course they are. It isn't legal to be carrying one around in hand. That's considered brandishing. I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding the legal and threat level difference between carrying one in a holster or hand.

How do you know this is true? I have to admit that saying "I heard it on the news" (what I've said) isn't really compelling or convincing either, but I don't know. I'm not so sure that people can aim and shoot accurately, in the millisecond it takes for someone to raise their arm.

I was a cop in the military for six years. I have enough real world experience and training to know what I'm talking about. If he would have tried anything he would have been dead before he got any accurate shots off, but he's fucking dead anyways.

He wasn't complying, but he wasn't showing an intent to use the weapon at all.

Maddness

So the guy gets out of the car. He has something in his hand. He walks backwards casually, looking pretty damn blazed imo. Before anything can happen someone drops what? 4 shots? in the direction of this dude. I don't get it?

Here's what I don't get about police.

You are trained for this kind of thing. I mean you go to the academy and shit and you are trained to handle people who could or could not be hostile and you're telling me within a second you have to take the 4 shots and kill this dude? I mean from what I've been told by people who did tours in the military over in Iraq they have better restraint than this shit. What the fuck man?

I don't think anyone wants anyone to just risk getting shot. I don't think that's what anyone's asking for. What everyone with a fucking conscience wants is for these professionals to have some god damned restraint and try and saves lives. It's fucking serve and protect. That includes everyone, not just who you pick and choose. It includes the guy or girl you're having a problem with too. I don't get how that's so fucking hard for people to understand. I don't get it. It pisses me off.

I don't blame anyone in the black community for being so pissed they feel like they're running out of options. At some point everyone as a member of the human race needs to wake the fuck up and realize that it's not an equal world out there. It's never been an equal world. Regain your humanity and want a change.

Ploid 3.0

Why would I want black friends?

Of all the posts on gaf I have ever read. This right here is the thing that left me in shock. Kind of makes me think back on when guild members found out I was black in FFXI. They were shocked and in disbelief because I was nice, but I doubt they would go as far as saying "why would I want black friends?"

This person seem to think black people are not regular people, or maybe only act one way. What would be wrong with having a black friend, it's like saying I wouldn't want a friend name Tom. What is the problem with Toms?

-------
If I get pulled over by a cop, I will keep begging them to please don't kill me. I will lick the floor if they tell me to, I just hope they aren't just in a bad mood, handle me rough causing me to maybe move a certain way, making them think instead of trying to relieve pain, break my fall, or receive a blow with my hand instead of my face, that I am resisting arrest. I won't even ask what I'm being arrested for. I'd rather live. Even then I don't think that would be enough, imagine if I sneeze :\

How do you know this is true? I have to admit that saying "I heard it on the news" (what I've said) isn't really compelling or convincing either, but I don't know. I'm not so sure that people can aim and shoot accurately, in the millisecond it takes for someone to raise their arm.

Are you serious? Anyone already pointing their gun at a target will surely shoot and hit that target before someone that has their hands at their sides has a chance to raise and aim. These are trained...officers we're talking about, not civilians.

Keri

I was a cop in the military for six years. I have enough real world experience and training to know what I'm talking about. If he would have tried anything he would have been dead before he got any accurate shots off, but he's fucking dead anyways.

He wasn't complying, but he wasn't showing an intent to use the weapon at all.

Well, I'm not in a position to argue with you then. If what I heard on the news is true though, the police might still classify these situations as justified shootings. Personally, I still get it. I think that anyone who doesn't drop a weapon when instructed is communicating an intent to use it. But if it's true that the police can easily disable someone, the instant they move to use their weapon, it would obviously be better to wait for that moment.

Or she lied knowing that it would feed into the anti cop mentality and people would believe it with no evidence?

Surprising that she'd lie about a gun she'd know the police would find and put into evidence anyway. Kind of sick of hearing about anticop mentalities when the majority of communities would much rather trust the police than not.

Cmagus

He didn't even raise his hands or anything he got out walked back and they shot him for no reason. I mean the cops were hiding behind cars surrounding him and not one of them could have tasered him or something non lethal. The dash cam is pretty clear cut that he wasn't even a threat, so senseless.

Well, I'm not in a position to argue with you then. If what I heard on the news is true though, the police might still classify these situations as justified shootings. Personally, I still get it. I think that anyone who doesn't drop a weapon when instructed is communicating an intent to use it. But if it's true that the police can easily disable someone, the instant they move to use their weapon, it would obviously be better to wait for that moment.

I can understand that train of thought. The officers knew he had a weapon and wasn’t complying, so that probably put them on edge. However, these officers should be trained for these types of situations and from the video they fucked up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The gun certainly gives the police reason to be very cautious. But I still fail to see whey there were nearly a dozen cops going after this guy in the first place. People feel the need to strut their authority at every turn.

I don't think anything will come from this. That the cops asked repeatedly for him to drop whatever he had is probably enough for there to be no punishment from this. It doesn't look like he was raising his hands to aim at the cops, and was backing away.

Javaman

Are you serious? Anyone already pointing their gun at a target will surely shoot and hit that target before someone that has their hands at their sides has a chance to raise and aim. These are trained...officers we're talking about, not civilians.

Officers are terrible shots in general. In New York, with it's above average training they only hit 30% of the time when the suspect isn't shooting back. It drops to 18% when returning fire. While they don't train to react to those stats, there's a larger problem in that most people don't go down right away unless hit in the nervous system and can easily fire back before dying. That aspect is definitely trained into them. I'm honestly surprised the cops waited as long as they did before firing. They gave him many warnings to drop it.

According to a 2008 RAND Corporation study evaluating the New York Police Department’s firearm training, between 1998 and 2006, the average hit rate during gunfights was just 18 percent. When suspects did not return fire, police officers hit their targets 30 percent of the time.

The data show what any police officer who has ever been involved in a shooting can tell you–firing accurately in a stressful situation is extremely hard. In an article for TIME last year, Amanda Ripley looked what happens in the brain and body when shots are fired. The brain stem sends out signals that cause blood vessels to constrict and hormones to surge. Studies have shown that eyesight becomes narrower (literally tunnel vision) under such conditions. People who have been in gunfights describe hearing very little and perceieve time slowing down. Amid this chaos, as police officers have to make difficult, split-second decisions, humans can lose motor skills as the body reverts to basic fight or flight instincts.
<snip>
The NYPD has some of the most comprehensive and sophisticated firearms training of any police force in the country, using a combination of live fire, non-lethal force and simulated scenarios.
http://nation.time.com/2013/09/16/ready-fire-aim-the-science-behind-police-shooting-bystanders/

mcrommert

Banned
On your first point there's a huge difference between being in the hand or in a holster.

Of course they are. It isn't legal to be carrying one around in hand. That's considered brandishing. I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding the legal and threat level difference between carrying one in a holster or hand.

Perhaps they don't want to understand the difference

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I think the dash cam footage proves Keith was not threatening any of the cops. None of them were in immediate danger. It looks like they shot him solely because he would not drop the gun he did or did not have.

The Beard

I think the dash cam footage proves Keith was not threatening any of the cops. None of them were in immediate danger. It looks like they shot him solely because he would not drop the gun he did or did not have.

This isn't up for debate anymore. He had a gun in his hand. You can clearly see a gun in his hand in the body cam video if you pause it around 18 seconds.

Afrikan

Me too. I'm guessing they never clearly identify themselves as cops at the beginning of the encounter?

first thing I thought about is the sound to start the body cam footage... for all we know the guy who got killed could've been saying something.

they are required by law to have an unedited version right? I know that should not be asked, but somethings things don't surprised me.

Lyn

Banned
I now want to know what they edited.

From the looks of it, it just seems to be the audio in the first half of the body cam footage. I wish it were there though, as it certainly doesn't help the situation by having it missing and leading to more speculation. Otherwise, it looks like the video was only edited in terms of cutting it down to the specific incident of the shooting. I can't see anything added or edited though that puts the cops in a better light.

Me too. I'm guessing they never clearly identify themselves as cops at the beginning of the encounter?

I'm not sure that would be related to any edits though. From the press conference earlier, tactical units and the like (such as these warrant officers) do not wear cams and they were the first on the scene. The only one fully loaded up with camera and audio seems to be the officer who arrived after the situation had already escalated.

So speaking specifically in regards to video edits, I don't think that would be something that had been cut out, as the uniformed officers didn't arrive until after the fact and wouldn't have it on camera to begin with.

I think he's showing intent to use the weapon, by not dropping it. I mean, again, maybe he wasn't going to do anything. But as long as you keep a weapon, it's possible you're planning to use it. Also, I'm just relying on what I heard on the news: I heard an expert state that tests have indicated officers can't react fast enough to disable someone, if they wait for them to raise the weapon? But who knows, that could be wrong?

How would he be able to drop it if it means he would have to move his hands? Wouldn't that be MORE threatening?

Wouldn't the shooting be MORE justified if he had to move to drop it? Movements make people jumpier, no? Imagine he just make any sorts of movements to indicate he would drop his gun ...

:x

This argument doesn't make sense to me. Can't win, being black, eh.

rjinaz

Trash human being.

One of the most blatantly racist posts I have seen on GAF. It's really weird that he was posting in poligaf just today talking shit about Trump. Guess you never know about people, but there are some issues that will push them over the edge. For them it was saying bad things about cops.

One of the most blatantly racist posts I have seen on GAF. It's really weird that he was posting in poligaf just today talking shit about Trump. Guess you never know about people, but there are some issues that will push them over the edge. For them it was saying bad things about cops.

Most are viewed as heroes and most cops look like him.

To bash cops, would be slander on his way of life/thinking.

Hex

Banned
...yeah, she planned this whole thing /s

Yep, exactly what I said isn't it.

You think she thought they wouldn't search and find the gun after they killed/arrested him?

Did they not find a gun? If I am mistaken then I am sorry. I saw that there was a gun.

yep sure this is exactly what she wanted.

Not at all, but if he had a gun and she told them then it may have been able to be handled differently.
I have no idea why she said that there was none.

I can't believe you had the balls to post this after we find out the cops lied

Again, forgive me but I am under the impression that there was a gun.

Lyn

Banned
Or she lied knowing that it would feed into the anti cop mentality and people would believe it with no evidence?

In the heat of the moment, that seems to be quite a stretch. If someone is pointing a gun at a family member I imagine your first thought isn't how to frame their death to increase anti-police sentiment. I would imagine most people want to figure out how to deescalate the situation instead.

If she knew about the gun, despite what she said on camera, the most I would be willing to go with is that she was trying to lower the intensity of the situation and get the officers to back off some. In the end though, I can very well imagine she simply didn't know, especially being a small ankle holster weapon that is easy to hide. It could even be something he kept hidden more in his vehicle and unseen at home. For all we know, he could have purchased it that day and she wasn't aware yet.

Not looking good for this guy considering he had a gun, and what we know of the police transcript.

Of course its not looking good for the guy he's dead. The only thing in question is whether or not the officer was justified in taking away his life from him.

Hex

Banned
In the heat of the moment, that seems to be quite a stretch. If someone is pointing a gun at a family member I imagine your first thought isn't how to frame their death to increase anti-police sentiment. I would imagine most people want to figure out how to deescalate the situation instead.

If she knew about the gun, despite what she said on camera, the most I would be willing to go with is that she was trying to lower the intensity of the situation and get the officers to back off some. In the end though, I can very well imagine she simply didn't know, especially being a small ankle holster weapon that is easy to hide. It could even be something he kept hidden more in his vehicle and unseen at home. For all we know, he could have purchased it that day and she wasn't aware yet.

I agree with you.
That is why I do not understand other options.
Saying that he had a gun and warning the cops I think could have ended things differently.
Maybe not, maybe I just want to think that there was a chance but like you say I can see no reason why she would say that there was none
And you may be right, while I think that warning about the gun could have softened it she could have thought the opposite.

Not looking good for this guy considering he had a gun, and what we know of the police transcript.

Yup, nothing is going to happen to these cops. The guy was black and had a gun and drugs. They have all the justification they need even though they fucked up. The whole situation doesn’t make sense. If they knew the guy had a gun why the fuck would they be that close trying to break his window opened? They fucked up on so many levels, yet they’ll get away with it.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

What the fuck is wrong with you?

The cops have already been proven to be liars here, but somehow she's the liar? Are you fucking serious?

rjinaz

Most are viewed as heroes and most cops look like him.

To bash cops, would be slander on his way of life/thinking.

You're probably right about. I know as a White person, I was always taught that cops are heroes, cops can be trusted, cops can do no wrong. It is embedded in most of us. They won't question any possibility is may not be absolute, even if it means admitting racism over it. Fucking sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom