• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disabled Father Killed by Police in Charlotte, NC (Protests Follow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc3k

Its thread discussing the issue. What do you expect?

Yeah, you're right. Still bothersome seeing "that was definitely murder" or "they were definitely within their rights" based on some blurry trash video that gives almost no context.

Lyn

Banned
Did people see the fact that it looks like the cops planted the gun?

https://twitter.com/TeamSmokie/status/779514010827952128

He didn't plant a gun in that frame. Those are black latex gloves being tossed down, which are later picked up and put on by the man in the red shirt. Notice how they even change shape a bit as they fall?

In the wife's video you can clearly see an object on the ground behind the white truck after the shooting, where the red officer is now standing in the frames you linked. He backed up to stand over it so that it couldn't be disturbed further. In the body cam footage from today, you can see the red shirt officer bend down and then hear something hard sliding across the ground, likely moving the gun away from the man immediately after the shooting occurred.

Bit different, don't you think? Even in one of the examples you provided, the guy got shot, he just happened to live.

I'm not saying the cops didn't handle this poorly. They created a situation where one of the most probable out comes was that he'd get shot by asking him to get out of the car. They have no way of knowing his mental state and if the car wasn't running and he wasn't a threat to others, they should have slow played it and had the wife talk to him.

But if it ever gets to "suspect is armed, noncompliant, and advancing", they're probably going to get shot. It's not murder at that point but it's bad policing if you have other options available and don't use them.

It is different. The suspect was given hours before he actually tried the patience of the officers and they forced themselves into the armed person's apartment. And the person who was shot was shot after a 15 minute chat with officers from his car.

The entire point is that they handled this poorly and created this particular situation, which I think is reprehensible when they did have other options for deescalation and expecting that shouldn't be "holding officers to an unrealistic standard".

Wait a sec. At no time did the cops say move backwards/ move towards us right? All they kept saying was drop the gun. Which he didn't. He held onto the gun, hands at his side's and just started backing up. They don't know why dude is moving without being told to. They don't know what he could possibly do at any given second if he's already not following orders and moving on his own towards them (even if it is backwards).

BradC00

Did people see the fact that it looks like the cops planted the gun? If he was already shot and subdued, why remove the gun and toss it to the side like that?

https://twitter.com/TeamSmokie/status/779514010827952128

you can see something in his right hand in the body camera footage, and then later you hear something get tossed and skid away from his body. he also has a gun holster in plain sight on his leg.

i'm not saying it's conclusive, but that's where we are at.

Keri

Really? Cause I don't remember the police or the feds unloading on Bundy's and their lot during Wildlife Siege in Oregon. Everyone of those guys was brandishing weapons and making threats toward citizens, police, and feds.

Well, for the record I would have thought that any shots taken then were justified too. Although, I think the police probably decided there were too many people to disable at once, without starting a massive shoot out.

HariKari

you can see something in his right hand in the body camera footage, and then later you hear something get tossed and skid away from his body. he also has a gun holster in plain sight on his leg.

i'm not saying it's conclusive, but that's where we are at.

The ankle holster appears empty when he gets out of the vehicle on the bodycam.

This kind of statement is silly. The guy was brandishing a gun and not obeying the cop's orders to drop it. This is a drastically different scenario than the title of this thread. An emotional response based on inaccurate information of cop shootings ends up making the entire situation worse for everyone involved.
I disagree. I've seen cops go to GREAT lengths not to shoot armed individuals who look a little different from Mr. Scott. Someone just posted several examples. This didn't have to end this way; and I think you all know it, you just don't give a damn.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So tragic. From the blurry videos, it does seem that he had a gun. But it was a legal carry weapon wasn't it? Guy had done nothing. Just chilling in his car. Cops always approach every person like they are a suspect and guilty of something. Their utter inability to approach people without aggression is what killed this man. If I was him, and a bunch of yahoos randomly attack me in my car and start screaming and waving a gun at me, I'd be defensive too. But since it's cops, he was a suspect and probably a serial killer or some shit.

Lyn

Banned
Really? Cause I don't remember the police or the feds unloading on Bundy's and their lot during Wildlife Siege in Oregon. Everyone of those guys was brandishing weapons and making threats toward citizens, police, and feds.

Not initially, no, but eventually one person was shot and killed and another was shot and wounded by police while the rest surrendered. The situation is also more akin to Ruby Ridge and they were likely trying to avoid another controversy, but a shootout still happened in the end with some members.

Ploid 3.0

So tragic. From the blurry videos, it does seem that he had a gun. But it was a legal carry weapon wasn't it? Guy had done nothing. Just chilling in his car. Cops always approach every person like they are a suspect and guilty of something. Their utter inability to approach people without aggression is what killed this man. If I was him, and a bunch of yahoos randomly attack me in my car and start screaming and waving a gun at me, I'd be defensive too. But since it's cops, he was a suspect and probably a serial killer or some shit.

Apparently it's open carry, I'm not sure if it require license/permit though. If it did, I doubt they asked.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I disagree. I've seen cops go to GREAT lengths not to shoot armed individuals who look a little different from Mr. Scott. Someone just posted several examples. This didn't have to end this way; and I think you all know it, you just don't give a damn.

I give a damn about facts, not cherry picking individual cases. Whether it has to end a certain way is irrelevant when you look at the bigger picture here. The accusation is that police are killing people because they are black. What evidence is there for this? Pointing out specific cases that have made the news is not a good way of getting to the facts about statistical data. The little research that has been done points to the fact that when it comes to police shootings there is no racial bias involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

commedieu

Banned
I give a damn about facts, not cherry picking individual cases. Whether it has to end a certain way is irrelevant when you look at the bigger picture here. The accusation is that police are killing people because they are black. What evidence is there for this? Pointing out specific cases that have made the news is not a good way of getting to the facts about statistical data. The little research that has been done points to the fact that when it comes to police shootings there is no racial bias involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

How about we take blacks out. Just for the point you want to make.

Police are killing people and have no accountability. Can we fix this then? Yeah?

Climatechange.gif

Either way you try to downplay it. Police training is laughable in America, as is their accountability. Black people just suffer the day to day treatment of police that others don't. People aren't upset just because. The black police union isn't saying that police are killing blacks, just because. The DOJ can do a ferguson report on every city in the USA and come to the same conclusion. There is a problem that needs to be resolved immediately.

1 citizen being executed in the street is 1 too many, right? Do you not agree with this?

According to a cherry picked study shouldn't Joe 6 pack be up in arms equally about their treatment?

I couldn't really tell much from the video. It looked like he had something that could have been a holster on his ankle, but I didn't specifically see a gun. The video was blurry, and I think the police department said that it is an edited version. I don't know why the police mentioned he had weed with him. Same with the man who had PCP. Having an illegal drug in your car doesn't justify a shooting.

GhostBed

The police made absolutely no effort to deescalate a tense situation that they created. There is no way on earth that you can say they did the right thing here. So many different ways they could have non-violently approached this scenario but they went in guns blazing and a man is dead because of it. Fuck the police.

Furyous

Where are the NRA supporters coming out to protest this? This scenario fits the doomsday scenario some of them feared to an extent IF the information is correct that the individual in question was licensed to carry. This is sad and I am at loss for words for what police can do to stop doing this outside of you know not immediately kill people. What happened to using a taser?

remist

Where are the NRA supporters coming out to protest this? This scenario fits the doomsday scenario some of them feared to an extent IF the information is correct that the individual in question was licensed to carry. This is sad and I am at loss for words for what police can do to stop doing this outside of you know not immediately kill people. What happened to using a taser?
He had a felony conviction for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. It was illegal for him to posses or carry a firearm. As for the initial interaction before the cops knew this, they are saying they saw and smelled him smoking marijuana, it is also illegal to carry a firearm under the influence,

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
He had a felony conviction for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. It was illegal for him to posses or carry a firearm. As for the initial interaction before the cops knew this, they are saying they saw and smelled him smoking marijuana, it is also illegal to carry a firearm under the influence,

"Guilty of illegal firearm posession and having potentially smelled weed somewhere"

Flo_Evans

I'm not familiar with NC law but most of these open carry states the police cannot stop you simply for carrying or even ask for a permit.

Not sure where you get that idea.

The police will most definitely stop you and make sure you are legally allowed to carry a weapon if you are displaying it openly.

People seem to be really confused what open carry actually means. You can not walk around with a pistol in your hands. If a cop knows you have a weapon concealed or open carry they will tell you to either leave it holstered or let them remove it while they run your ID.

Just because it's an open carry state does not mean you can jump out of your car with a gun in hand when confronted by police.

In an ideal world this would not be a death sentence but in USA world it probably is. When the police here have their guns out it's time to stop fucking around unless you have a death wish. This guy had mental issues and was high. He may have panicked and not even realized he was still holding his gun.

Police need to come up with better ways to deal with people. I'm not sure what people expect them to do in situations like this though. They can wait till he aims but then one of them or a bystander is taking a bullet.

Trying to break the window and force him out of the car seems really dumb, I think if they let him sit there and realize the full situation he would have given up peacefully.

Chococat

Well, for the record I would have thought that any shots taken then were justified too. Although, I think the police probably decided there were too many people to disable at once, without starting a massive shoot out.

No. They decided the lawsuits against them for violent white people's second amendment rights was too much for even there lawyers and public to overlook. They treated them with kid gloves because they were white, plain and simple.

With white people, cop actual have to build a case of probable cause. With blacks- you shoot them, then pull out any bullshit excuse after the fact. Having a gun in a county were it is every citizens right should not be a death sentence because a cop is "afraid".

Cops are not judges. It is their duty to bring people in for the courts to decide- at the risk of their own lives. Only after measure to deescalate situations, so weapons be used, starting with the least lethal option. They all were so close, why didn't they tase him?

Skilletor

The police made absolutely no effort to deescalate a tense situation that they created. There is no way on earth that you can say they did the right thing here. So many different ways they could have non-violently approached this scenario but they went in guns blazing and a man is dead because of it. Fuck the police.

Yep. My sentiments exactly.

GhostBed

How could anyone believe this bullshit? These police statements make my fucking blood boil.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

It is also illegal and suicidal to come out with a gun in your hand while the cops are telling you to drop it.

are you talking about that felony from 10 years ago?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Bullshit. He was given several commands. The officers were originally plain clothed and went back to their cars to get vests so they were clearly identified as LEOs. The man was given several chances to simply drop his gun, put his hands in the air and comply with the officers. He made some very poor and unfortunate decisions and based on standard use of force continuum practice this is the result
Fucking Bullshit. They took a terrorist who injured 29 and shot two police officers alive. A number of white people have pointed guns at police and lived to tell the tale. But yet, conspicuously with black people they just can't seem make through encounters alive with or without a gun.

This is manslaughter and the officers should be charged.

Nabs

Henkka

Banned
Fucking Bullshit. They took a terrorist who injured 29 and shot two police officers alive. A number of white people have pointed guns at police and lived to tell the tale. But yet, conspicuously with black people they just can't seem make through encounters alive with or without a gun.

So you're telling me cops hate black people, but have a soft spot for Arab terrorists? Come on. They shot at that guy, too. The only difference is the bullets grazed him instead of hitting vitals. You can't just take different situations and treat as if they're comparable... Difference circumstances, different cops. They're not a hivemind.

remist

Ahmad Khan Rahami was shot 7 times and was in critical condition.
are you talking about that felony from 10 years ago?
Yeah
They didn't go in guns blazing. If you look at the video it is almost a minute of them yelling at him to drop the gun before you hear the shots.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Are we running with the narrative that he was asking for it, now?

Nope. Using the word loosely here. As others have stated exactly as I did, it's the proverbial death wish coming out with a gun when cops have been telling you to drop it dozens and dozens of times, and another 6 more times after you've come out of your car with it in hand.

Henkka

Banned

Everyone can play the anecdote game, dude...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...camera-video-showing-shooting-of-unarmed-whi/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2h7rHgBzTc

I'm not saying racism isn't a factor in police shootings. Just that taking individual cases and comparing them is pointless, the only thing that matters is statistics of all police shootings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom