• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster Report 4 canceled, Yakuza Zombie, Motorstorm 3, and MvC3 DLC delayed

Ravidrath

Hmm, when was the Kobe earthquake?

I guess it's possible since this is coming out, it could come out again X years after, but then again... the devastation is much worse this time around.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Don't worry... this game will leak onto the internets some day anyway......

tearsofash

I don't understand Japanese culture as much as I'd like, but we eventually made movies with airplanes crashing in them. I'm not saying Japan should try to rush the recovery process, I'm just curious as to how that culture usually responds to things like this.

Kikujiro

tearsofash said:
I don't understand Japanese culture as much as I'd like, but we eventually made movies with airplanes crashing in them. I'm not saying Japan should try to rush the recovery process, I'm just curious as to how that culture usually responds to things like this.

I think japanese people are well aware of their situation, it's because ot that that they are always able to start over and look ahead, despite the disasters.

I'm really surprised by this decision, I don't think a game like DS is insensitive. A delay is understandable, but a cancellation is unecessary.

BocoDragon

tearsofash said:
Well post-9/11 was one of the most sensitive long term periods of self censorship I've ever witnessed, so I wouldn't single out Japan...

Actually I might assume that Japan is less sensitive than America was....

tearsofash said:

I think you are comparing the wrong things. This would be more like someone making a film/game about New Orleans after Katrina stuck rather that the events of 9/11

However, Treme is currently tackling the Katrina stuff with decent respect, and got a positive response from New Orleanians.

onken

Ravidrath said:
Given how long this event will remain lodged in the Japanese psyche, regardless of how long it takes them to recover, I still think the series is gone for good.

Earthquakes aren't exactly rare here, and the number of victims this time is thankfully relatively small (miraculous really when you consider the magnitude). People here are generally very quick to move on, which is why I find this news so surprising.

Clevinger

Keyser Soze said:
I think you are comparing the wrong things. This would be more like someone making a film/game about New Orleans after Katrina stuck rather that the events of 9/11

However, Treme is currently tackling the Katrina stuff with decent respect, and got a positive response from New Orleanians.

No, not really. These games always took place in fictional locations. A more accurate analogy would be if someone made a generic hurricane movie/game, not set in New Orleans.

randomwab

Can't say it's unexpected, but still disappointing. The series is one of the most original out there from a gameplay perspective, and I was really looking forward to 4. I hope this doesn't kill of the franchise, and we can see something from them down the line.

Ravidrath

What is the series' gameplay like, anyway?

They just seemed like high-concept adventure games to me. Is there more to it than that? Actual gameplay mechanics and systems and whatnot?

Ravidrath

I guess the reason I think the series could be done is because they bothered to cancel it at all.

Who knows... maybe it's just a handy excuse to port it to NGP?

randomwab

Ravidrath said:
What is the series' gameplay like, anyway?

They just seemed like high-concept adventure games to me. Is there more to it than that? Actual gameplay mechanics and systems and whatnot?

It's a difficult game to explain. Half of the gameplay is navigating through destroyed environments, usually while the set pieces are collapsing around you or worse. The other half is exploration; searching for supplies or collectables while progressing. There is a lot more to it, but they're the barebones. Each game in the series has had its own mechanic relating to survival, whether it be keeping hydrated, warm and dry or managing your stress levels.

The second game, Raw Danger!, is my personal favourite. The mechanic in that one is surviving a flooded and slowly freezing city by keeping warm, either by finding sources of heat, constantly changing into dry clothes and adding more layers or keeping away from water. The second also has multiple scenarios which tell the events of the disaster from different perspectives which all connect to each other.

Truthfully, they're all just really fresh and different sorts of games that I wish more developers tried. They have never been graphical showcases, but that doesn't stop the games from having truly memorable and impressive moments and an amazing sense of scale, only bested by Shadow of the Colossus in my mind.

You can probably get the first (Disaster Report/SOS The Final Escape) and, depending on where you live, the second (Raw Danger!) for cheap now and I highly recommend you go pick them up. Fantastic games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I feel for the developers. It must really suck for them to have worked on a game that by a cruel coincidence won't be released.

Well, at least not yet.

Brazil said:
I feel for the developers. It must really suck for them to have worked on a game that by a cruel coincidence won't be released.

Well, at least not yet.

Yeah. I guess disaster report 4 could have been modified into a some sort of public service announcement game or something

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wait DR4 has been really canceled despite it being shipped soon?

Maybe they moved it to another date.

Don't know too much about this game, but to cancel it outright when it's supposed to ship within a few months is a HUGE waste of money and resources. Hopefully it's just a really long delay instead.

Ratrat

ULTROS! said:
Wait DR4 has been really canceled despite it being shipped soon?

Maybe they moved it to another date.
Nope. Its an outright cancel. Not going to be sold ever. At least that's what they are currently saying.

faridmon said:
This doesn't make sense. What about the Ace Combat games that was released after 9/11 or the countless movies that involves planes crashing into eth US soils etc...

A year long delay would suffice, but cancelling it would seem a bit hypocritical.
The tsunami is unfortunately a much bigger disaster than 9/11. And just after 9/11 we did see a lot of movies delayed etc in a similar manner, I remember Collateral Damage getting delayed for example.

Brazil said:

Well, at least not yet.
I'm sure they're not feeling too sorry for themselves when there's hundreds of thousands of Japanese people in a somewhat worse situation than just not having their game released.

Foffy

Banned
Monty Mole said:
The tsunami is unfortunately a much bigger disaster than 9/11. And just after 9/11 we did see a lot of movies delayed etc in a similar manner, I remember Collateral Damage getting delayed for example.

GTA III and MGS2 were delayed too because of 9/11, IIRC.

Well, delays were expected even if Motorstorm is on San Francisco and Yakuza OTE is on fictional Tokyo...and certainly Disaster Report 4 was in the worst position.
But cancellation is too brutal, I really hope Irem can somehow cash some money (western release, game location changed into fictional country...) because their financials can't be that good to eat an entire game development to scrap it this late.

Isn't it cruel enough it was set to release in February then March 10 (just a day before the earthquake) but delayed a second time to Spring. Poor Irem...

BocoDragon

Monty Mole said:
It is a bigger disaster in human terms.

However, unlike 9/11, the earthquake is not an attack, so the siege psychology, the implication on world politics, etc., is not as severe.

The sensitivities will be different. I think, ultimately, not as severe and long term as 9/11... though I could be wrong.

Sony on Motorstorm: Apocalypse European release

It is not yet clear if this delay will now be mirrored in other territories. Speaking to GameSpot UK this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe said, "[The game's release is] under discussion at the moment. We'll get back to you when we know more." Sony Computer Entertainment America is currently slated to release the game in its territory on Tuesday April 12.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6303681.html

BocoDragon

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
All x-box products for this week have been delayed due to problems in distribution.
Finally, an excuse for why no Xbox games sold in Japan!

BeeDog

While I understand the scope and implications of the Japanese disaster, I hope they don't decide to delay MS3 here in Europe as well.

That's unfortunate. I was sort of just getting in to the Yakuza franchise, too... Hopefully, an appropriate time will be found for all of these games to be released.

As a side note, I don't think comparing 9/11 and the earthquake is a good idea, because there are so many intricacies with both of them. Not going to go in-depth in this thread, but basically cultural differences, overseas relations, war, Arab-American relations, attack vs. act of God, we don't 100% know what will happen in Japan's future... etc. (Personally, I don't think comparing any disasters/tragedies/etc is a good idea but that's probably just me.)

Top Bottom