• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discord thinks about developers, 90/10 developers split & self-publishing is coming in 2019

Blam

The remaining 10% covers our operating costs, and we’ll explore lowering it by optimizing our tech and making things more efficient.

Last edited:

telasoman

WIth Discord having a way to launch all your games from their client that works with all the other launchers that already exist, this could be a good game changer for them to help cover the gap.

If they had functionality to join your friends games from other launchers with their client too, it could be incredibly useful.

(I dont work for them promise)

Kenpachii

Yea why not, its free money at this point. And discord has all the community's with it.

So this could be a real big thing. I also wonder when reddit is going to push a new client.

Trogdor1123

So more fragmentation? I get it that this needs to happen every once in a while but it still sucks and can be confusing...

Blam

Very, very interesting.

Not at all wanna know why? Because Valve offers way more then just a store. They offer an entire slue of things.

WIth Discord having a way to launch all your games from their client that works with all the other launchers that already exist, this could be a good game changer for them to help cover the gap.

If they had functionality to join your friends games from other launchers with their client too, it could be incredibly useful.

(I dont work for them promise)

They do. Games do have this function aside from just showing you're playing it you're also able to send invites and the like from it.

Fortnite offers this actually and a few others too (ElDewrito, etc.)

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I for one am interested to see how this plays out, in large part in terms of how Valve responds. I don't think the current model of 30/70 with the promise of up to 20/80 based on profit share is going to cut it truth be told in the long term. Time to lose the dead weight at Valve (namely the development studio) and roll Steam off as it's own dedicated enterprise.

LordRaptor

This is a welcome "fuck off" to everyone whining about curated storefronts.
Discord was a curated storefront. From now on, it won't be.

EssKayZee

Wasn't there a rumor a few days ago that MS is looking to buy discord? I can't quite remember the thread but I'm sure I read it here.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt Steam is at the high end of the pay out ratio wanting 30%. But that's the norm of digital sales with exception of recent Epic and Discord deals.

Someone posted a PC launcher comparison and Steam has by far the most features too. So that is a brownie point for them.

It really comes down to dollars and sense. If a company doesn't want to get affiliated with an online store, then do it yourself with direct downloads and get 100% of proceeds.

Can't complain about Steam. If PC gamers use Steam that much, then PC gamers are contributing to Steam's dominance. We'll have to see where all the "developers first" shakes out to see how effectively these competing online stores fare.

If Steam sells a game for $50 at a 30% margin, and Epic/Discord sell it for $55 price with only a 10-12% margin, I wonder how many gamers will switch to support the dev. Or if they will gravitate to lowest price after all.

Reminds me of all the articles you see about people hating big box stores. Support the small guy. But when that Walmart, Costco or Home Depot plants its ass in a neighbourhood, everyone loves it and sales at mom and pop stores drops like a rock. So much for hating big corps.

Last edited:

TekNav

Banned
So more fragmentation? I get it that this needs to happen every once in a while but it still sucks and can be confusing...

This is the kind of fragmentation I can support, though. I have nothing but consumer contempt for first party portals like EA's, Bethesda's, or Ubisoft's.

I'm fine with competition to Steam from other independent companies like Discord.

It's ironic how well that fits in with the narrative. Steam created its own pressure by keeping that 30% locked in. I've grown a bit worried about all the stores popping up as I feel at some point I will no longer have a central DRM solution that is next level management and features to contain it all.(newer releases)

Still, I felt the inevitability of having to use "something else" in order to get my fix of new releases. This also leads me to speculate about the possibility of Cyberpunk 2077 releasing on GOG exclusively, a similar move pulled with the release of Thronebreaker.

I can say it was EA access that ultimately sparked the idea that this was where things were headed, more PC stores popping up to directly challenge Steam as well as big publishers keeping IP bound to their own self-run stores.

I knew it was time to start looking forward to a change when the following games didn't come out Steam:
Fallout 76
Dead Space 3
Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3

Pretty big deals, all of them, with Fallout 76 being a lesser exception due to the disappointment in the design decisions that were made, which were known once people got ample time with the game, before release.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oof. Discord is jumping on the bandwagon now. How low can they go? Next up 95/5!
It's like sports salaries. Fully disclosed to entice highest bidding..... or in this case lowest digital fee rate rate.

At some point, it'll probably be 100/0, and the store makes its money in some other way to keep the site going.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's like sports salaries. Fully disclosed to entice highest bidding..... or in this case lowest digital fee rate rate.

At some point, it'll probably be 100/0, and the store makes its money in some other way to keep the site going.

By showing ALL Advertisements! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Iaterain

These companies are thinking way to much about how they are going to split our consumers money, don't you people think?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These companies are thinking way to much about how they are going to split our consumers money, don't you people think?
Yup. But they are disclosing it to hype up gamers and devs.

As for digital store success, it all comes down to how much gamers care about splintered off digital stores.

- Walmart carries the most stuff, but most of it is mainstream
- Other stores can carry those items too, but instead of butting heads they might want their own specialty products

Everyone goes out of their way to shop at lots of different stores, so using this analogy it shouldn't be much of a problem. Probably comes down to the critical point of "too many stores" for the digital front.

Last edited:

LordRaptor

Thats what valves take is on all sales not made via the store.steampowered.com website, whatever they miss out on via retail cut they make up for in active userbase that will probably buy something via the store eventually.

I don't know why the "valve take 30%!" narrative keeps ignoring that right now for any sales not made through their website, they don't.
Given Discord itself hasn't exactly figured out how to make money yet I'm surprised they're pulling a hail mary like this to try and get users.
They could probably make more money just being a steam key reseller with cheaper prices than other resellers.

johntown

Banned
Perfect! Let's go ahead and have every program we use on our PC have a second function as a digital game library. While we are at it lets make sure each program has it's own exclusively deals so people have to have 50 different digital clients just to play the games they want.

Horns

Going to be a lot of competition in this space soon. Maybe it will force Valve to move back into making more games in order to make profit.

Grimmrobe

I hereby announce my digital game store: the Grimmstore! Developers get 99% of the income. I package all games and put them on torrent sites, so gamers can get them from there. The store will be a NeoGAF thread with links to all the torrents. All sales are made via my PayPal account (and are final). PM me if you want to sign your game up!

No other store gives 99% of the earnings to developers. Sign up to the Grimmstore today!

Last edited:

Helios

Perfect! Let's go ahead and have every program we use on our PC have a second function as a digital game library. While we are at it lets make sure each program has it's own exclusively deals so people have to have 50 different digital clients just to play the games they want.
Can't wait for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 10 to come out on The MS Paint Store.

Solomeena

Banned
Okay, so who the fuck is going to pay for the bandwidth for these idiots who want to undercut everyone else? Do all of you who enjoy this bullshit think bandwidth is free? Do you people seriously think these indie developers are going to give us a price break with their new found wealth from Discord and Epic games store? This is not going to benefit consumers at all, just fuck us gamers raw. Whatever, if i have to put up with 30 different launchers i will quit PC gaming and go back to consoles.

Last edited:

CuNi

I don't know why I'm still doing this but I won't stop saying it. Steam has no competitor nor will there be one soon. It has the best features besides the store itself, people are already having a huge library and friends lists so where is the incentive to switch? The money hattet exclusives are probably only time gated and will release on steam too if just a year later. Discord doesn't get that its mostly used by people to talk and chat. None of my friends plans to buy anything from that store and only 1 out of 50 guys on my server has nitro. Same with epic. Epic thinks that all its fortnite players which are mostly kids will make purchases on their platform. They won't. They will buy one or two games at max but then they'll learn that there is steam with way more and also big games and flock over to steam. So yeah. I don't think the time of steam is over nor will it be in the foreseeable future.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Trying to figure out what games to be sold in different stores is going to be a nightmare. Not everyone is a hardcore PC gamer who's browsing forums like Neogaf everyday.

GoG
Microsoft
Discord
Epic
Bethesda
Origin
B.net
Steam
Uplay
Third party websites
Rockstar

If every store sold the same library of games, THAT would be competition. But as of now every publisher wants 100% revenue by locking their games behind their store. It's just ridiculous, and it's going to hurt PC gaming. Steam should announce a 90/10 split and get the major publishers back.

Sorcerer

I hereby announce my digital game store: the Grimmstore! Developers get 99% of the income. I package all games and put them on torrent sites, so gamers can get them from there. The store will be a NeoGAF thread with links to all the torrents. All sales are made via my PayPal account (and are final). PM me if you want to sign your game up!

No other store gives 99% of the earnings to developers. Sign up to the Grimmstore today!

I will see you one better. Not only will developers keep 100 of the profits on my store, but I will match 30 percent extra for every game sold. Its insane!!!

crazyeddie-feature.gif

Silvawuff

I see this as industry growing pains. I don't think Steam really cares. Why should they? They've got most of the market and heavily-invested customers under their belt. The only thing I could see really changing the way we source and play games is something like a cloud-based gaming platform where you pay a flat monthly fee and get to play all the games via streaming.

Top Bottom