• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discussion: Is The Nintendo Switch the successor to both the Wii U and the 3DS line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouriozan

The plan was to combine both handheld and home console software on a unique family of system, because Nintendo said multiple time they just can't support 2 separate consoles.
So there is your answer.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It won't get there through the current form alone. There will undoubtedly be a smaller, cheaper handheld-focused revision that acts as a more plainly evident successor to the 3DS.

But yes, something that plays Switch software will take over for the 3DS. There won't suddenly be a totally different 4DS hardware that cannibalizes the Switch's sales pitch as a handheld and forces Nintendo's devs to split focus between multiple platforms again, that's absurd and completely contrary to their stated goal with the thing.

Taker666

I don't know...

...but I wish it was just the 3DS successor so I could be excited for the home console they have yet to announce.

TrutaS

I'm hoping it is. Because I want Nintendo to focus on a single thing. This might not be the only iteration of the same console though, and they might release a simplified (purely portable) version next year.

Hip Hop

I see it as a successor to the 3DS and them giving up on the home console sector completely.

They can't succeed on that anymore.

If the Switch isn't doing too hot, they can make it smaller later in the future with the dock feature being optional.

Yes.

After 3DS is retired, every game they create will be built for the Switch architecture and ecosystem.

We've known they've been planning this for three years now, and we know it means they don't want two platforms that they develop different software for:

To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples.

What we don't know is whether they'll release more variants of Switch than just the hybrid we've already seen:

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform
[...]
Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

Nydius

All the people answering yes in this thread are in for a major disappointment.

Switch is not at all positioned to replace both. Higher cost games, low battery life for marquee games in portable mode, expensive accessories, additional online play costs and a decidedly not kid-friendly design. Then there's Nintendo's own marketing and PR that doesn't seem to know what the hell they're trying to do, what with showcasing two motion control titles that run absolutely contrary to the portable element of the system. I don't foresee many people kickstanding up their Switch tablet to play ARMS while on the go. It's clearly designed around being a home console in that regard.

Nintendo is hedging their bets to see how it performs at market which is why they're still out there talking about supporting the 3DS line throughout 2017. The DS line will continue to remain a staple and will most likely continue to be marketed as the Nintendo device for kids.

The entire point of unifying their development teams was to release games for a single platform. HD development is too costly and time consuming to support 2 platforms. Handheld games don't exactly look like SNES games anymore. The Switch providing it succeeds will be Nintendo's only hardware going forward. The 3DS getting some low budget remake of a spin-off, using a mature engine and old assets that was likely green lighted 2+ years ago doesn't change that.

no its a home console. and wont seen nearly as much support as nintendos portables do.

nintendo will make a designated handheld soon enough. but going by numbers it can keep doing it's thing with 3ds. that beast is barely slowing down.

do i think that future nintendo ecosystem will thrive together cohesively? yes. but it will still be two different consoles.

Definitely. They simply don't want to be seen to be killing 3DS off especially when it's had such a hardware sales resurgence due to Pokemon.

There will be a dedicated console based on the Switch architecture around the time of PS5.

Hip Hop

no its a home console. and wont seen nearly as much support as nintendos portables do.

nintendo will make a designated handheld soon enough. but going by numbers it can keep doing it's thing with 3ds. that beast is barely slowing down.

The designated handheld will be the Switch in a smaller form factor if that's what they do.

No way are they working on something else. Too much money and too big of a risk for them. It also makes zero sense to have two portables. This is what they meant by "unifying". They are now a one system company.

It's a tough call at this point. Originally I thought Nintendo was merging both lines to create one platform to develop for. Actually I thought Switch would be their main line and then mobile would be a second platform.

However, once the 3DS started selling like crazy and is still out of stock at most places nationwide, I wonder if Nintendo decided to slow down the sunsetting of the 3DS and keep it around longer.

I think the best case scenario would be for them to continue to support the 3DS with unique games through the end of this year. Then next year maybe introduce a handheld-only machine that plays Switch software. How exactly that would work with games like 1-2 Switch I'm not sure. Then again, I don't get paid the big bucks to figure this stuff out.

4Tran

What? Every time Nintendo talk about Switch, they refer to it as their new home console. That PR for Fire Emblem Switch is just one of many examples. I don't know what you're even trying to say here.
That's how they're trying to sell it because they don't want to give up on 3DS revenues just yet. That's the point of PR - it's called lying.

All the people answering yes in this thread are in for a major disappointment.

Switch is not at all positioned to replace both. Higher cost games, low battery life for marquee games in portable mode, expensive accessories, additional online play costs and a decidedly not kid-friendly design. Then there's Nintendo's own marketing and PR that doesn't seem to know what the hell they're trying to do, what with showcasing two motion control titles that run absolutely contrary to the portable element of the system. I don't foresee many people kickstanding up their Switch tablet to play ARMS while on the go. It's clearly designed around being a home console in that regard.

Nintendo is hedging their bets to see how it performs at market which is why they're still out there talking about supporting the 3DS line throughout 2017. The DS line will continue to remain a staple and will most likely continue to be marketed as the Nintendo device for kids.
Just because the Switch isn't positioned to replace the 3DS doesn't mean that it isn't Nintendo's ultimate goal. They unified their development teams so that they can make games for just one platform. If they're now planning to release on two platforms then what was the point of that?

Alpha17x

Neo Member
I'm going to confidently say no, no it's not.

You've got to think about the fact that a fair majority of the households with these systems are going to have more than one person in them. The 3DS allows everyone to play on their own or together in a near seamless manner, preemptively reducing issues such as sibling conflict over 'who's turn' it is. Or allowing the television to be used for another purpose. It also has a vast library of games that are still played and enjoyed frequently.

Truckloads of money still come on for portable device and game sales and it largely serves a different demographic.

While the switch is portable it's one device for one or more people with one docking station connecting to one television. And for plenty of people with families, unless everyone is going on a trip or vacation together, it's probably going to stay home in the dock.

qko

Initially it will replace the Wii U immediately (Zelda, MK, Splatoon, 3D Mario, etc.). Then we will see Vita-esque indies and JRPG's (Nicalis Ports, Stardew Valley, Graceful Explosion, Disagea, SMT, etc.). Then slowly we will see games that normally belong on Nintendo Portables (ie. Pokemon, Fire Emblem, DQ XI, MH, etc.)

ckaneo

The problem I have with it not being the 3ds successor is that Nintendo gutted the power of the system to make it portable and we have no reason to believe they can make games for both the 3ds and the switch. Just like they failed to make enough great games for the wii u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom