• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 announced for PS4 in 2015

desmax

At this point I think NISA should localize the game right when they are developing it. Disgaea is well received outside of Japan also, right?

To be fair, DD2 was announced to the west before it was released in japan, so they should do the same for this one.

Disgaea 4 has good metacritic score, so it should be well received

Xenus

My only complaint is the AA on the effects and simple 3d for such a simple graphically game the IQ should be spotless.

Ultimadrago

This main crew's designs are much better than Disgaea 4's. I hope their personalities are also not brain screamingly annoying like Disgaea 4's were.

Please NISA. I know it's a difficult request for you, but please.

zulux21

At this point I think NISA should localize the game right when they are developing it. Disgaea is well received outside of Japan also, right?

I imagine they do start working on the localization while working on the game in japanese, but they aren't really big enough to try a world wide release, thus what likely happens is that a lot of the translation gets done while they work to release it in japan and then once they do that they shift over to imputing the localization into the game. I mean they in general only take 7 months or so to localize a game with a lot of text to translate (between the story, and all of the items and their descriptions) and a full voice over to record.

also, it depends on your definition of well received lol. There are fans, and they really like it, but sales tend are always below 500k outside of japan (heck they rarely break that number worldwide) that being said that is very good for a Nis release and by far their most successful. But there is little reason to push a wolrdwide release when they know most of their fans have no problems waiting a bit.

Dio

Banned
That certainly looks like something that can only be done on the Playstation 4.

Still excited for this game. Never played Disgaea on consoles so I don't know if it will be a different experience compared to handheld.

Well, I've heard that in the interview they said 'now we can put 100 characters on screen on PS4 instead of 10 on PS3' which makes me think they were talking about deployable characters.

In this case, if that really is the reason they're making this PS4 exclusive like they said, there's no way they can get this on vita without downgrading it or slowdowns, since Disgaea 4 Vita even has slowdowns occasionally.

I love the series and will be there day 1, but damn, I wish they'd give it a break for a bit and give us another Makai Kingdom or something similar. I loved the open movement.

WnudS4n.jpg

That is so disappointing. They really need to overhaul the generics and monster classes. Need to make them more unique too outside of evilities.

zulux21

That certainly looks like something that can only be done on the Playstation 4.

Still excited for this game. Never played Disgaea on consoles so I don't know if it will be a different experience compared to handheld.

well as long as the handheld versions you have been playing have been the sony ones and not the DS one then you have played the definitive version of each release, which really shouldn't be surprising given that the handheld versions were all ported from consoles that used the same amount of ram as the portable and only slightly weaker CPU (meaning the big difference between a psp and ps2 or a ps3/vita is really the graphics card) and since disgaea doesn't push graphics hard the ports run great.

in general the handheld versions are near perfect ports of the games with all DLC included (at least for 3 and 4... disgaea 2 was a little weird) and some new exclusive content.

Disgaea 5 on the ps4 will likely be a fresh experience with even crazier math and more characters on screen... the true test to if it could only be done on the ps4 is if we every see a vita version that isn't significantly watered down.... as the vita is close to the ps3 specs in ram and CPU and aren't even close to the ps4.

Well, I've heard that in the interview they said 'now we can put 100 characters on screen on PS4 instead of 10 on PS3' which makes me think they were talking about deployable characters.

In this case, if that really is the reason they're making this PS4 exclusive like they said, there's no way they can get this on vita without downgrading it or slowdowns, since Disgaea 4 Vita even has slowdowns occasionally.

i figure that is 100 means as well, because even as far back as disgaea 1 we had select maps with more than 10 enemies on them (or more than 20 characters if you deployed your own)

mstevens

I've never played a Disgaea game before.. It looks kinda like Tactics? If I'm a big Tactics and FE fan, would I like this?

That is so disappointing. They really need to overhaul the generics and monster classes. Need to make them more unique too outside of evilities.

Guessing you haven't played D3 or 4 Vita ports, since in those, generic humanoids get their own, unique specials.

Monsters have certain perks in D4 and DD2 that make them pretty strong, too. Aside from magichange and fusion, I would like to see the monster weapon buffs DD2 introduced that made magic monster weapons act like staves for humanoids, as well as the innate monster weapon mastery that was tied to the monster's level.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've never played a Disgaea game before.. It looks kinda like Tactics? If I'm a big Tactics and FE fan, would I like this?

Yes. The gameplay is similar to tactics, with a square grid map that characters maneuver around and attack enemies. Disgaea just takes it up a notch of crazy.

It is highly likely you will enjoy it.

Dio

Banned
Well now I'm tempted to wait for Vita version.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/02/report-disgaea-5-could-only-be-done-on-playstation-4/

According to the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation magazine (helpfully translated by Gematsu), Disgaea 5 stars a young demon boy named Kiria who is seeking revenge against Demon Emperor Void Dark. Kiria is joined on his quest by Seraphine, the princess of the Gorgeous Underworld, and Usaria, the unstable queen of "Rabbit Rabbit World" who goes "berserk if she does not eat curry."

As for why the game is exclusively coming to the PlayStation 4, NIS president Sohei Niikawa explains: "We thought about going multi-platform with PlayStation 3, but doing so would've made the PS3 the standard," Niikawa said. "Since we're making it, I want to be able to offer something that could only be done with the PlayStation 4." As an example, Niikawa points out that Disgaea 5 will be able to feature 100 characters on screen simultaneously, where a PlayStation 3 version of the game could only handle 10.

If the PS3 can't handle this game, I don't think the Vita can either.

desmax

Yeah, pretty similar... but pretty different too.

I'd definitely recommend, even though it's not as "tactic" as other games of the genre, and the mechanics can overwhelm you easily

Lucent

Damn. Of course there'd be a catch. Would be nice if they just threw up the demo on the Japanese PSN store.

I'm kind of disappointed that it basically looks just like the previous Disgaea games. Was hoping they'd somehow make it look even better. Like I don't mean go 3D, but make the sprites even cleaner and basically even more like the art. I mean the art is so good they don't have to look like they do in the games. But I think the main thing they really need to fix is the places your fight. Make it blend in more with the art style. You know what I mean?

Also, Zombie Maid is cute. =D

Evilisk

I'm already really liking the designs. Especially Usalia and the Fat Prinny. I think I'm just amused at how they both look so out of it

r03Yt4W.jpg

(I just realized that Usalia's feet are really tiny. Also is that a Rabbit foot necklace?)

EDIT: No wait I think that's a Rabbit skin scarf (with a Rabbit foot at the one end)

I wish they would add more AA to the sprites.

Also this character art is a place holder right? It looks really off to me. :/

Yeah something's definitely off. It looks too clean somehow

anderedna

Hopefully NISA will localize it as early as 2015. Can't get enough of Disgaea. The sprites looks like it need some refinement, like adding some AA. Using the same AA as the fonts are good enough. They also added weapon level in small info area, which I believe is new. And this time it has much more colorful palate.

For me, visuals is not the main attraction point in Disgaea. Look how they look in D1 and D2 for PS2. Doesn't look like a PS2 game at all, same with the rest of the series. The gameplay however is awesome and addicting.

Porting to Vita might be a bit more problematic if they increase the complexity in D5. D4 Vita already suffers with framedrops at 10th floor of item worlds.

100+? Item world is gonna be a nightmare.

zulux21

Hopefully NISA will localize it as early as 2015. Can't get enough of Disgaea. The sprites looks like it need some refinement, like adding some AA. Using the same AA as the fonts are good enough. They also added weapon level in small info area, which I believe is new. And this time it has much more colorful palate.

it will be released in english around 7 months after it is released in japan.
You can expect some sort of portable version released in 2018, likely as a launch game on a future sony handheld if there is one, or on tablets if sony doesn't make a new handheld.

100+? Item world is gonna be a nightmare.

it will really depend on how the mechanics work. If in general attacks have a bigger range, hit more enemies, characters can move farther... item world wouldn't be that much worse. (in general I am expecting a pretty decent overhaul on systems like we say with disgaea 2 to 3)

it also isn't like it would always be a ton of enemies, item world has always had maps that have few enemies and maps that have a lot.

zulux21

Dem tower attacks (if you're pleb-tier and don't have animations turned off) are gonna take longer than Knights of the Round.

you could always just hold I think R2 before your attack or press like r3 and r2 during the attack (it's been a while but there are short cuts in the more recent disgaea games to just skip attack animations if you have seen them before, and to cancel them if you don't want to see them... I know for a fact there is the R2 one, I am trying to remember which srpg I was cancelling attack animations after I started them in... I think it was either disgaea 4 or d2 though.)

Durante

Are you forgetting that they just used the PS2 sprites in Disgaea 3 on a PS3?
That at least a lot more sense, since it actually requires many artist work months to paint new sprites. Adding AA for the geometry takes one programmer 2 hours.

Stuart444

So it's pretty much like D3 on PS3, similar to the previous game graphically. (They didn't upgrade the sprites art until D4). Putting out 100 characters on screen? I want to see this.

So excited, love Disgaea <3.

I don't suppose anyone will buy the magazine and send me the demo code? :(. Importing Magazines is expensive :/

edit: as for AA, did they say they weren't adding it (aka did I miss the interview that said it?)? Because I mean if not, they could add it during the final wrap-up. AA sounds like something they would add at the end of the development cycle. Of course, no AA won't bother me much but I can't deny, I'd really like some quality AA in this game.

Speaking of AA, I can't wait to see how clean the first PS4 Atelier looks like. :)

Dio

Banned
That at least a lot more sense, since it actually requires many artist work months to paint new sprites. Adding AA for the geometry takes one programmer 2 hours.
Well, yeah, I understand that, but that was more a jab towards their lack of care towards graphical fidelity as a whole. I totally understand how it'd be a lot of work to paint new sprites, as an animator - although if they just made high resolution assets and then made them lower res after the fact like Vanillaware does/did, it might be a different story for reusing assets for the new generation.

Foffy

Banned
The are seriously rendering this game without AA on a PS4. Fuck.

Nippon Ichi is unfathomably incompetent at a technical level. I suppose fans of the series are there for the meat under the hood, not on the surface. I can already see every Western review of this game calling it one of the ugliest games to be released on PS4.

But seriously, I would have imagined AA with Disgaea 3. I just can't wrap my head around this. Is all of the number crunching that goes behind the scenes take that much from the hardware? Someone already mentioned that Disgaea 4 has slowdown on Vita and save for the now-HD sprites, it looks like a game absolutely capable to be made for the PS2...

Type-Zero

Damn I can't wait for this to come out. I won't lie though I kinda wish the main character was female this time around. I did not play Disgaea D2 yet but I thinking with what they did with Laharl they would go that route this time around but I'm still ok with this. The only thing left to consider is whether its better to wait for a Vita version. Having all dlc makes a difference.

zulux21

Nippon Ichi is unfathomably incompetent at a technical level. I suppose fans of the series are there for the meat under the hood, not on the surface. I can already see every Western review of this game calling it one of the ugliest games to be released on PS4.

But seriously, I would have imagined AA with Disgaea 3. I just can't wrap my head around this. Is all of the number crunching that goes behind the scenes take that much from the hardware? Someone already mentioned that Disgaea 4 has slowdown on Vita and save for the now-HD sprites, it looks like a game absolutely capable to be made for the PS2...

they don't produce super sexy looking games graphically (though I like their style) but I would hardly call them incompetent at a technical level, I hardly ever run into any serious bugs in their games, unlike so many other companies that released games on the ps3 (or heck even some games that nisA published that the original creators never fixed the bugs... thank you very much idea factory) and their systems despite going to crazy high levels are typically well thought out and balanced decently with a ton of math.

and yes, that number crunching behind the scenes takes a lot of power. I don't think you quite grasp exactly how much math is going on in disgaea nor how much processing power it takes to get that data nearly instantly.

there is plenty of formulas in play when you go to attack an enemy... (here is some from disgaea 2 which has long since been complicated quite a bit more) heck even experience gained has a number of factors that goes into it.

while each of the formulas by themselves in general aren't super demanding (though when you start having to do math with more than 10 digits it starts to take more effort :p) in the midst of battle a number of those have to be done, throwing in lots of numbers. Even in dedicated math programs such as mathematica once you start trying to do a bunch of formulas with big numbers at the same time you need either a powerful computer to have it done fast, or for it to just take a bit more time to do. In a game like disgaea if you had to wait for math at times it would totally ruin the game... so the best way to design the game would to be to find the absolute worst you can do with math/AI ect and use that as your upper limit and work with what you have left. The math done at the end of the game, to be done instantly requires a decent amount of power, especially when you are rendering those numbers on active animations.

as I said before in this thread, graphics aren't everything... personally I wish more companies would stop pushing graphics and instead would push complicated systems/ good AI. The games still aren't bad to look at, and what they lose on the graphics front they easily make up in the background technical front. and while it might be possible to push out something with better graphics if they took the time to optimize everything better, that would cost more money which for a company like Nis isn't really a luxury they have. an expected 500k lifetime sales world wide for disgaea 5 means they can't really have a budget over a few million and expect to turn a big profit (which since disgaea is what tends to be keeping them a float, would be what they expect)

Damn I can't wait for this to come out. I won't lie though I kinda wish the main character was female this time around. I did not play Disgaea D2 yet but I thinking with what they did with Laharl they would go that route this time around but I'm still ok with this. The only thing left to consider is whether its better to wait for a Vita version. Having all dlc makes a difference.

there were 7 years between the psp and vita release. 7 years from the vita release would be dec 2018 in japan
there are typically 3 years between the console release and handheld release. 3 years after release of disgaea 5 would be 2018 in japan.
if the statements are true and this wouldn't run right on the ps3 something more powerful than the vita would be needed. This would line up basically perfectly as a launch game for the next sony handheld (just like disgaea 3 did) if there is one, if now I would expect the handheld version to come out on either the 3ds successor (if it can remotely handle it which seems unlikely) or on tablets (as they are already approaching ps3 levels, by the time 2018 rolls around it wouldn't be surprising if the newer models could handle a game like this)

aka I don't see it as likely to come to the vita in general, and even if it does it would be in 2018, I personally don't find the wait worth it for the handheld versions... I just play the console versions and don't buy the dlc, and then since the dlc is typically over $40 just justify my buy of the handheld versions as buying the dlc.

Lucent

So excited, love Disgaea <3.

I don't suppose anyone will buy the magazine and send me the demo code? :(. Importing Magazines is expensive :/

lol yeah I was wondering if there was a way to go about doing this. If there was a way to get the mag digitally and still include the code, I wouldn't mind doing that.

Stuart444

lol yeah I was wondering if there was a way to go about doing this. If there was a way to get the mag digitally and still include the code, I wouldn't mind doing that.

I have the Dengeki Playstation iPad app but all bonuses like codes aren't included in it. You need to get it physically :(.

Since everyone else has already complained about the graphics, I guess I won't bother to for now

Who do I need to sleep with for a Phantom Brave 2

Probably the staff that left the company, though I'm not sure why you'd want another Phantom Brave. That game was terrible.

Type-Zero

there were 7 years between the psp and vita release. 7 years from the vita release would be dec 2018 in japan
there are typically 3 years between the console release and handheld release. 3 years after release of disgaea 5 would be 2018 in japan.
if the statements are true and this wouldn't run right on the ps3 something more powerful than the vita would be needed. This would line up basically perfectly as a launch game for the next sony handheld (just like disgaea 3 did) if there is one, if now I would expect the handheld version to come out on either the 3ds successor (if it can remotely handle it which seems unlikely) or on tablets (as they are already approaching ps3 levels, by the time 2018 rolls around it wouldn't be surprising if the newer models could handle a game like this)

aka I don't see it as likely to come to the vita in general, and even if it does it would be in 2018, I personally don't find the wait worth it for the handheld versions... I just play the console versions and don't buy the dlc, and then since the dlc is typically over $40 just justify my buy of the handheld versions as buying the dlc.

Good point, it coming to a handheld in general is what gets me. I feel Disgaea is perfect in the palm of my hands so it coming to anything portable is great. Funny thing you mention time vs. content. I did that exact thing with D4 I bought the game with no dlc, then sold it once the vita version came out. This time around it works perfectly even with the wait because I skipped out on buying Disgaea D2 on ps3 in hopes of it going portable also. While I wait for that to possibly happen I will play d4vita, and if all goes according to play D2 will be out on portable and that can tide me over till Disgaea 5. So you can say I'm like a game behind meaning if 2018 is legit I will still have a fresh disgaea game to play :p

I'm really digging the character designs so far. Usually, I end up liking one or two characters, with the rest being meh. I like everyone shown so far, and we've still got Beefy Red to see. :)

Probably my favorite protagonist from purely a design stand point too.

Dio

Banned
Something interesting that was noticed about the main character of this game: he's male, but he's doing that "sexy comic book pose" butt shot with an outfit and at an angle that would normally be associated with women. It's the first time I've ever seen that, really - and for the main character, and played completely straight and not for gags.

This was confirmed as the cast, too:

bs5iuxwcmaakindpxkfj.jpg

Uthred

If its so trivially easy to add then it might be premature to assume it wont be considering these are the first preview screenshots a week or two after the initial reveal.

TheChaos0

AWWW YEA, were're getting amazing specials then like a man

Don't mind them sticking with the HD Sprites, its gorgeous all the same

6b9ad0253300b6d1463fa25021a69339.gif

Oh ye, that attack was amazing. Adell was pretty awesome in general

What I would have loved them to do is to up the amount of controllable characters, so that we could have a better mix of classes in the party. I often ignore monster classes because I just don't have the space for them after main characters and my favourite classes.

Top Bottom