• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness |OT|

Uthred

I'd much prefer if they released all DLC in the first week or two for games as long as this, because these days its hard to find the time to go back and replay them so I seem to end up buying the DLC week to week planning to replay later and never get to the replay (bought all D3 dlc week to week, never replayed it, then they came out with the DLC bundle for it, then I bought the enhanced Vita port, bought all D4 DLC, never got around to replaying it - I'm whats wrong with DLC ;) ).

In other news this is up on the PSN - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/disgaea-d2-a-brighter-darkness/cid=UP1063-NPUB31321_00-DISGAEAD20000033

I think my friend mentioned how he was able to get Fuka and Desco early on for, like, 3k mana but they start at level 1. Don't quote me on this!

Ohhhh, that would be amazing.

3 and 4 would have been so much more fun if I could have gone through the main game with all the DLC.

Now I'm thinking I might wait to play until all the DLC gets released . . .

So I read that if you
change Laharl back to his female form after he gets his male one back then almost all the senators will vote against you if you try to change him back to male.

scy

My copy just arrived.

But ... what about the EO:U? The LoLs?! ;__; I hate this month

So I read that if you
change Laharl back to his female form after he gets his male one back then almost all the senators will vote against you if you try to change him back to male.

dat
nice body

Nista

I'm really excited to play this again, been too long since I spent time with a disgaea title.

I also look forward to scy's exhaustive posts on theorycrafting. Best part of D4 in my opinion. :)

Too bad I have to go to dinner and movie with my friends tonight instead of heading home to play games! GRRR

Decado

I remember having fun with the first game, but the charm quickly wore thin as the sequels never evolved into strong tactical games. So...is this game at its core a strong tactical game ala TO or FFT? Or just more of the same (grinder with puzzle style battles)?

So...is this game at its core a strong tactical game ala TO or FFT? Or just more of the same (grinder with puzzle style battles)?

It'll be the latter; I don't believe Disgaea will ever be a "strong tactical game" like those you listed. You'd really have to ignore the vast majority of the resources you're provided to make this game a tactical challenge.

That said, final Baal is always going to be an exercise in taking advantage of preparation and all the game's mechanics in this entry.

I forgot that at the beginning of the game that monster units aren't that powerful yet. My Fighter and Warrior can duke it out with lvl 8's, being lvl 6. My Pumpkin Head monster is lvl 7 and can barely hurt the enemies and usually dies in at least 1 or 2 hits.

Using him as a mount is a pretty good strategy right now since he can't dish damage out on his own yet. I usually let my Warrior ride him so they can share the EXP.

The only reason I have Pumpkin head on my party is because he has the coolest monster design I've ever seen in the Disgaea series. So I want to lvl him up, also his evility isn't half bad either.

This is a direct sequel (as opposed to a Final Fantasy style sequel) to the first Disgaea game.

Oh and Prima has the eguide up for free, if you sign up for their newsletter: http://www.primagames.com/games/disgaea-dimension-2-brighter-darkness/primaguides/738

Might be worth looking at if you're on the edge too. It's got a pretty good breakdown of all the systems, etc.

I really want to test some of the guide formulaes though because some of its formulaes and text are contradicting itself so I am confuzzled.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
All right, here I go. *skips intro cut scene to avoid spoilers*

Random stuff:

- Try moving R stick and repeatedly pressing R3 on the loading screen with the Prinny.

- Check PSN for a limited time free DLC download ("Legacy costumes"). Applies to everyone, not just preorders.

Great! Hope we get a Vita version.

I'd expect a Vita version but given their usual track record for mobile ports it'll be around April 2017.

All right, here I go. *skips intro cut scene to avoid spoilers*

Random stuff:

- Try moving R stick and repeatedly pressing R3 on the loading screen with the Prinny.

- Check PSN for a limited time free DLC download ("Legacy costumes"). Applies to everyone, not just preorders.

There's no spoilers in the intro cut scene (unless you're already spoiled or worried about spoilers for D1 along the lines of the protagonist won). It's just an anime-ish intro without much relationship to the story like D3 & D4. There's also a trophy for viewing the intro.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Urgh. Had one hard lockup on episode 2, physical US copy.

Other than that, things have been gravy. The new master/apprentice system took a bit of finangling to get used to, but it's super good for getting Flonne every magic spell, since you don't have to be right next to the master anymore to learn the skill.

If anyone is interested, tower attacks, for whatever reason, give 100% xp and mana to every character, instead of being split up _x_ ways. Can be nice to unlock some higher promotion tiers early if you want to. Stick Laharl on bottom, since his evility makes him a monster after a few kills. Male warrior would also work.

I used 2-2 to catch a few slackers up before the chapter 2 boss fight, since the zombies all come running towards you, and the atk -50% geo effect keeps them from overwhelming you.

Also, if you like some specials and not others, hitting triangle mid animation will instantly cut any running animation short, as will holding R2 before the attack executes (holding R2 will also work to show animations if you have it turned off by default).

RoeBear

I bumped into my first typo. Nothing major, I just don't recall ever seeing any in the other games in the series.

This made me realize how good of a job they do with the localization. I've seen typos in a lot of other games, but I've never even thought about it in a Disgaea game. They translate the Disgaea series extremely well especially considering all of the "niche" jokes.

erragal

Didn't get to play too much yet but I'm really happy so far. I enjoy the new interface and the streamlined accessibility; starting tutorial 1 with a difficulty bump is exciting and it's going to be a cinch to keep the challenge level high at all times.

Of course I spent most of my playtime making /naming characters. Can't wait for my upcoming four days off to really get into the game.

scy

If anyone is interested, tower attacks, for whatever reason, give 100% xp and mana to every character, instead of being split up _x_ ways. Can be nice to unlock some higher promotion tiers early if you want to. Stick Laharl on bottom, since his evility makes him a monster after a few kills. Male warrior would also work.

It's a fairly welcome change. Makes it a pretty "obvious" thing to do whenever you manage to score an Invincibility Item World level :x

Also, if you like some specials and not others, hitting triangle mid animation will instantly cut any running animation short, as will holding R2 before the attack executes (holding R2 will also work to show animations if you have it turned off by default).

Just to note, turning Animations off will still play them if it's a special you have never seen so you won't miss them for the Data Shop.

erragal

So my goal for D2 is to avoid any exploitative/repetition based leveling/grinding methods for as long as humanly possible. Is tower stacking in item world going to be exploitative for leveling purposes? Wonder what else I need to avoid!

Oh and the name generator decided to call my male martial artist Dr. Stranglelove. The weekend cannot arrive fast enough.

scy

So my goal for D2 is to avoid any exploitative/repetition based leveling/grinding methods for as long as humanly possible. Is tower stacking in item world going to be exploitative for leveling purposes? Wonder what else I need to avoid!

I mean, you can use it if you want. It's not that efficient in the long-run just by virtue of how the game operates in general. It's just one of those nice things to utilize if you find a stage with Reverse Damage / Invincibility / a Gatekeeper with no ranged damage at all. Stack all the enemies and then chip away at it with a full Tower stack so everyone gets the EXP.

Oh and the name generator decided to call my male martial artist Dr. Stranglelove. The weekend cannot arrive fast enough.

Gravy Train

So...is this game at its core a strong tactical game ala TO or FFT? Or just more of the same (grinder with puzzle style battles)?

I don't think that any of those are actual strong tactical games. Only one I can really think of is that Wild Arms one, XF or something I think.

I'm kinda upset at NISA right now. My D2 preorder just shipped out this morning. Which is somewhat good, since I got caught up on the homework I missed after my daughter was born. But... bad since I wanna play it when I have to wake up at night. And... she needs the soothing sounds of Disgaea to put her to sleep.

Expected delivery date changed to tomorrow . . .

I guess I won't be ordering through the online store anymore.

Does the LE contain a sealed copy of the game, like one I'd find on store shelves?

Awesome game, can't wait till the story gets good.

Something is bothering me though. The game never explains why Laharl and gang are back to level 1. How did he lose his powers? Are we suppose to believe that he is just as strong as before but everyone else is just stronger?

It kinda takes me out a bit that he weak again. I wish the game explained it through a funny cutscene or something where he is told he has to start all over again if he wants to be an overlord.

Mikado

It kinda takes me out a bit that he weak again. I wish the game explained it through a funny cutscene or something where he is told he has to start all over again if he wants to be an overlord.
I suppose technically in the first episode, Etna points out that his abilities aren't really that special since "Every demon can destroy the stars".
'dat power creep.

I suppose technically in the first episode, Etna points out that his abilities aren't really that special since "Every demon can destroy the stars".
'dat power creep.

Yeah I'm wondering if that is why they had that scene. At the end of Disgaea 1, that meteor attack was a pretty high level attack for Laharl so the fact that he can fire it off like that means perhaps he is still strong but just not as strong.

On the next episode of Dragon Ball Z...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I think my friend mentioned how he was able to get Fuka and Desco early on for, like, 3k mana but they start at level 1. Don't quote me on this!

It's only 300 mana and it's available really early on - I got them within a few hours of starting. When you pass the bill, they go into your party. It isn't buried in an endgame mission like the last games. They're both pretty strong, especially Desco with the new monster system.

There's no spoilers in the intro cut scene (unless you're already spoiled or worried about spoilers for D1 along the lines of the protagonist won). It's just an anime-ish intro without much relationship to the story like D3 & D4. There's also a trophy for viewing the intro.

Ah, thanks

I don't think that any of those are actual strong tactical games. Only one I can really think of is that Wild Arms one, XF or something I think.

I'm kinda upset at NISA right now. My D2 preorder just shipped out this morning. Which is somewhat good, since I got caught up on the homework I missed after my daughter was born. But... bad since I wanna play it when I have to wake up at night. And... she needs the soothing sounds of Disgaea to put her to sleep.

Wild Arms XF isn't really a strong tactical game either. It's mainly a puzzle game with SRPG elements for the main campaign, there's a lot of maps where you *will* do things in the one specific way the designers intended or you lose (or worse can't even get to a position where you lose and have to use the reset battle option they have). The free battles are more SRPGy and can be genuinely hard.

Lockon

Got my LE in today. Its pretty awesome. Going to play it later after I finish Beyond: Two Souls...and I got Pokémon Y this Saturday. OH god what have I gotten myself into.

Seriously though, I probably won't play until the strategy guide come in. Need everything in one place and I can make time for it the whole week or something. I'll playing FF14 in the mean time. god I hate myself playing many games at once.

Hope everyone enjoy the game.

Got my copy on Saturday for some reason. Given that I ordered it during Anime Expo I had totally forgot that it was coming out this week!

Welp, now I got a devil and an angel on my shoulders and having a blast creating all my friends as monsters and minions.

dat
nice body

Subtle. Love it.
Makes more sense in the Japanese version. :)

Got my game and I'm pretty impressed with the packaging NISA did for the LE set.

BWLP-V6CEAA9PhA.jpg:large

No idea when I'll actually get around to starting this though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
In case anyone else has experienced it, NISA has acknowledged the random freeze issue. Unfortunately, they don't know what's causing it yet, afaik.

My only complaint thus far is really the relative lack of classes when compared to D3/4, and that the story is a bit 'eh', feels like a retread of the first game instead of expanding upon it.

Other than that, everything is awesome. Item Sea, Demon's Dojo, Cheat Shop from the start to modify stuff, being able to buy off Dark Assembly passes instead of having to fight every time...especially love the return to using weapon mastery for skills instead of buying them with mana, which made the mid-game a OHKO-contest.

Really curious as to where D5 may be going, after this.

I bought this...but I don't know if I'll be reviewing this one.

I have basically a free week next week to fit in either Pokemon or this. Both? Not a chance.

AniHawk

Got my game and I'm pretty impressed with the packaging NISA did for the LE set.

No idea when I'll actually get around to starting this though.

they've done different le boxes all year. time and eternity was a side loading thing, and neptunia was a lunch box. the lunch box was popular but it's probably a one-time thing.

With the free e-guide, I think Prima is trying to show the world that their D2 guide isn't going to be a disaster like Bradygames' Disgaea 4 guide was.

Also, the latest NISA newsletter contains a link to this pdf:

http://nisamerica.com/DisgaeaD2_free_Prima_checklist/Disgaea_checklists_V4.pdf

which contains:
- a checklist of trophies
- the formulas for HL, XP, and mana you get for killing enemies
- checklists for all equipment, consumables, and skills

The Guide is very long but it doesn't seem to be as accurate as the DJ guides were. I really want to check the XP formula myself for one thing because it means that you should level the same % towards the next level by killing an enemy of a given type and rank regardless of its level or yours , and that *really* doesn't make sense and seems to disagree heavily with the post game levelling Youtube video's I've seen too.

Someone on Gamefaqs has also questioned the statistician cap saying it doesn't match with their experience either.

erragal

My only complaint thus far is really the relative lack of classes when compared to D3/4, and that the story is a bit 'eh', feels like a retread of the first game instead of expanding upon it.

Really curious as to where D5 may be going, after this.

There are exactly the same number of classes as D4. It's strange this sentiment gets repeated with no reasoning behind it. Perhaps the fact that the vast majority of uniues are from old games creates the illusion of less vsriety? Not only are there the same number of classes but many of the mechanical changes make it easier than ever to build a powerful member of any class.

I'm currently on chapter 4 at the moment. I lost on the last level of the chapter so I took that as a hint that I need to grind a little bit. My Laharl is pretty strong now, and I raised up my Fighter and Warrior with him so I think I'm good now.

Since I was leveling up anyways, I took the time to unlock the Genin and the Monk (forgot the name but he can use star spells).

I'm having a lot of fun and have no problems so far. This is one of the more grindier Disgaea's I've played in a while, which is a good thing.

scy

The Guide is very long but it doesn't seem to be as accurate as the DJ guides were. I really want to check the XP formula myself for one thing because it means that you should level the same % towards the next level by killing an enemy of a given type and rank regardless of its level or yours , and that *really* doesn't make sense and seems to disagree heavily with the post game levelling Youtube video's I've seen too.

I think they just heavily misworded that. The EXP formula has always been similar to what they said there, a function derived from the EXP to Next Level value of the target.

Then again, they seem to try to go out of their way to say it's based off the unit you're using and not the target but, really, that just cannot be the case.

Top Bottom