• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea or La Pucelle? Which one reigns supreme?

Rhage

Which one do you like better, Disgaea or La Pucelle? And why?

I just started playing La Pucelle and love it. But too early to say whether or not I'll like it better than Disgaea. La Pucelle does seem less complex and slower paced, though.

signet

Disgaea

La Pucelle feels like a step backwards after playing Disgaea. La Pucelle just lacks the production value that made Disgaea so charming. Not that La Pucelle is a bad game, I got a copy for $20, but a $5 copy of Disgaea makes it unnecessary. Think I am going to trade my LP in tomorrow for WotS2.

BuddyC

When one is $5 and the other is $20, both regin supreme. Of course, I paid $50 for Disgaea and haven't even touched my copy of La Pucelle...

signet

Wario64 said:
I guess it's better to play La Pucelle first, then Disgaea?

yes, and play Disgaea before Phantom Brave next month.

281024b.jpg

Rhage

Wario64 said:
I guess it's better to play La Pucelle first, then Disgaea?
That's my thought too, because for one thing La Pucelle is easier to get into and understand. The Purification system is way easier to "get" than Geo Panels.

It's a nice primer for Disgaea, especially since it seems the consensus is that Disgaea is the better game.

Belfast

Both rock. Both are worth owning. Disgaea is fundamentally better, but that doesn't fault La Pucelle since it came before.

The only real problem I have with both games is story pacing. There's a lot of random stuff in the beginning and then right when you think the story is starting to get really interesting, the game's almost over. Hopefully Phantom Brave is a little better in that regard.

signet

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wait, where is LP $20 at?? ive only seen it for $50...

Target had it last week for $19.99 (marked $49.99 rings up $19.99). The price still could be $19.99.

AniHawk

I liked Disgaea better. As said before, it felt like a more evolved form of LPT. Disgaea felt like it was a parody of all the cliche story elements in RPGs before it, where LPT was the cliche RPG. Both were very fun, humorous, and had some charming elements to them, but Disgaea's gameplay moved much faster and the game felt a lot more unique overall.

DrDogg

I've logged about 8 hours into Phantom Brave, and I have to say I enjoyed Disgaea and La Pucelle more. I'm just not digging the confining system yet, and the story hasn't picked up at all (although I'm only 8 hours in). I like all three games however, so I think they're all worth it, especiall if they're below $50 now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How long does La Pucelle take to complete normally? The back of the box says 120 hours of gameplay but I know that's a bullshit figure

Shouta

I like La Pucelle in combat more than I do Disgaea but I like Disgaea`s customization a lot more. Dark Portals just freaking owns Geopanels in terms of usability in any sort of battle.

Rhage

DrDogg said:
I've logged about 8 hours into Phantom Brave, and I have to say I enjoyed Disgaea and La Pucelle more. I'm just not digging the confining system yet, and the story hasn't picked up at all (although I'm only 8 hours in).
Wha wha what what!? That's not what I've been looking to hear. :(

Bebpo

Banned
DrDogg said:
I've logged about 8 hours into Phantom Brave, and I have to say I enjoyed Disgaea and La Pucelle more. I'm just not digging the confining system yet, and the story hasn't picked up at all (although I'm only 8 hours in). I like all three games however, so I think they're all worth it, especiall if they're below $50 now.

Yea I put about 30 into it before finishing PB and I liked Disgaea better.

PB does have some awesome stuff to it. But the story is slow compared to Disgaea, the music is weaker, and as broken as the battle system for Disgaea was, PB is like 100x that amount of brokeness since you can just go into random dungeons 100 lvls. ahead of you, steal an item and escape.

Fun game though and I really dug the art style and the actual storyline despite it's slowness. Also seems like it had more possible depth and moves to find (like when you pick up a dead body of someone and do a double attack with them) than their previous games. It's really too bad with all the depth came extreme brokeness :(

Disgaea. La Pucelle came out back in 2002, the only reason it was released over here was because of the success of Disgaea. Phantom Brave is Nippon Ichi's latest and greatest game, buy it next month. Hopefully some punk won't mark it down to $10 four seconds after I buy it. Stupid worthless Circuit City.

Meier

Can't wait for Phantom Brave! Only played La Pucelle for a few hours thus far, but I'm enjoying it. I put in over 70 into Disgaea so I can't compare them directly yet; but I have a feeling when it's all said and done, I'll prefer Disgaea to it. I hope PB continues the trend of improvements from LP to Disgaea though.

Seth C

AniHawk said:
Did you check all CCs and Targets in your state?

All in my state? No. I checked every one in say, a 100 mile radius. Target was wiped out of La Pucelle by the time the deal was posted on here. Pretty obvious why, they had a big sign stating the game was $19.99. Circuit City? I got lots of good games, but never saw a copy of Disgaea.

AniHawk

Seth C said:
All in my state? No. I checked every one in say, a 100 mile radius. Target was wiped out of La Pucelle by the time the deal was posted on here. Pretty obvious why, they had a big sign stating the game was $19.99. Circuit City? I got lots of good games, but never saw a copy of Disgaea.

BuddyC said there were 7 at his Target about a week ago. Talk to him and maybe he'll be able to hook you up still. There was one more at mine, but I'm betting it's gone now.

Top Bottom