• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored Golden Cat Gameplay Walkthrough

Despite the need for some visual flair, I have to agree that this game looks mighty incredible. I have a feeling it will scratch the No Bioshock Infinite in 2012 itch. It's refreshing to see this type of game coming out.

ironcreed

Banned
I really don't think the visuals are that bad, but maybe I am just used to playing on consoles. Along with the unique artistic direction, I think it actually looks pretty nice.

Neiteio

Can't check out the footage right now, but from all of the trailers and such, I love the visual style. Kind of painterly, with characters reminiscent of BioShock's slightly exaggerated style.

Barakov

Gold Member
Gameplay looks and sounds fantastic. Definitely the game I'm looking forward to the most this year.

Omikaru

I loved the bit towards the end where the player used the summoned rats to distract the guards, before using one to escape. Inspired.

I can see this game having so much re-playability. Can't wait!

eXistor

Looking incredible, such variety in gameplay! Can't wait to replay missions over and over, there really seems to be a lot to every level.

Derrick01

Banned
I loved the bit towards the end where the player used the summoned rats to distract the guards, before using one to escape. Inspired.

I can see this game having so much re-playability. Can't wait!

Even though him possessing the fish to enter the building is old and the one they showed at E3, it still cracks me up. There's no button prompts or anything too so most would just see the fish and think they're decorative. You'd have to get the idea in your head to try possessing it, and that's the kind of creativity/trial and error stuff I love.

Almighty

And people are bitching about that for Hitman Absolution not having a map

Just got back from a quick Google search to verify this and with that Hitman Absolution drops out of my list of must have games. As I was hoping to not use that stupid instinct mode at all.

Anyway I am still undecided about Dishonored. On one hand it looks awesome and gives you many choices and paths to take to your objective. Reminds me of the first Deus Ex in fact. On the other hand some of those powers look like they will make the game a cake walk. Things like blink or possessing things like a fish look over powered as all hell.

Omikaru

Even though him possessing the fish to enter the building is old and the one they showed at E3, it still cracks me up. There's no button prompts or anything too so most would just see the fish and think they're decorative. You'd have to get the idea in your head to try possessing it, and that's the kind of creativity/trial and error stuff I love.

Yeah, I like that. It makes for a much more rewarding experience for the player. When I do something of my own volition and the game acknowledges it, that makes me feel smart. Nowadays all the cool shit in games is scripted and practically plays itself. The last time I played a game which really rewarded me for doing things my way was Deus Ex, though I've by no means played every game ever, so I'm sure there's been more since. I'm hoping there's a lot more of that stuff as you progress through the game.

And it's because the variety and creativity offered looks so awesome that it breaks my heart when people bitch about the graphics. I think a more open game is far more immersive than the rollercoaster, QTE, "press a button and something awesome happens" games with cutting edge visuals which have been popular this gen are.

Anyway I am still undecided about Dishonored. On one hand it looks awesome and gives you many choices and paths to take to your objective. Reminds me of the first Deus Ex in fact. On the other hand some of those powers look like they will make the game a cake walk. Things like blink look over powered as all hell.

You'll never be able to have every power and of course each one gets powered up as the game progresses. The player character had every ability (likely powered to the max, though they didn't confirm that) for demonstration purposes.

The fact that the location of each target is randomised maintains the challenge on multiple playthroughs too.

Omikaru

Just got back from a quick Google search to verify this and with that Hitman Absolution drops out of my list of must have games. As I was hoping to not use that stupid instinct mode at all.

Anyway I am still undecided about Dishonored. On one hand it looks awesome and gives you many choices and paths to take to your objective. Reminds me of the first Deus Ex in fact. On the other hand some of those powers look like they will make the game a cake walk. Things like blink or possessing things like a fish look over powered as all hell.

I think all those powers are there for demonstration, so I imagine in the full game you'll have to make compromises for the more imbalanced onces. And if that's not the case, just crank the difficulty up. I keep telling myself that I'll be playing this one on the hardest setting on my first playthrough, and the likelihood of that goes up if I have free reign on these awesome powers.

ironcreed

Banned

Anyway I am still undecided about Dishonored. On one hand it looks awesome and gives you many choices and paths to take to your objective. Reminds me of the first Deus Ex in fact. On the other hand some of those powers look like they will make the game a cake walk. Things like blink look over powered as all hell.

Don't use it then, as you certainly have that option, along with a ton of others. They even said that you will not even be able to get all of the abilities in one play through. Most abilities seem to deplete sort of mana bar as well, so I am sure most of it has some semblance of balance with potions and the like. At least I hope so.

Looks amazing, but i gotta say i wish they didn't include that dark vision power. I can see my self using it all the time like in the Batman Arkham games.

Derrick01

Banned

They confirmed you can turn instinct mode off.

Looks amazing, but i gotta say i wish they didn't include that dark vision power. I can see my self using it all the time like in the Batman Arkham games.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep using it as I think it drains magic. I don't think it did in the demo but that was probably because they tweaked it to be like that.

Preordered this long ago. Amazing game. Been following it since that Game Informer reveal. It's always nice to see fresh new IP. And Harvey is on it, so I'm in. #HugeDeusExFan

neoism

Almighty

You'll never be able to have every power and of course each one gets powered up as the game progresses. The player character had every ability (likely powered to the max, though they didn't confirm that) for demonstration purposes.

The fact that the location of each target is randomised maintains the challenge on multiple playthroughs too.

I think all those powers are there for demonstration, so I imagine in the full game you'll have to make compromises for the more imbalanced onces. And if that's not the case, just crank the difficulty up. I keep telling myself that I'll be playing this one on the hardest setting on my first playthrough, and the likelihood of that goes up if I have free reign on these awesome powers.

I assumed they had all the powers and had them all maxed out as well. So yeah you guys are right I will need to wait for more videos of less powerful characters before i reach any final conclusion.

Don't use it then, as you certainly have that option, along with a ton of others. They even said that you will not even be able to get all of the abilities in one play through. Most abilities seem to deplete sort of mana bar as well, so I am sure most of it has some semblance of balance with potions and the like. At least I hope so.

I don't buy the don't use it logic. As based on that video and solely on that video it seems that the game is designed with a stealth character having blink. They need to show a stealth character without the blink ability because some of those area looked impassible without it if you want to remain hidden. As i said though this is only based on this video so i hope the devs talk of many ways to do things is true and not mostly just pre-release hype/marketing talk.

They confirmed you can turn instinct mode off.

Its the lack of a map that is the problem. With instinct mode on the map is probably redundant which is why i assume they removed it. With it off though and now no map the game is already worse then Blood Money. Also I just read that they have no plans to have in mission saves so that takes it down a notch for me there as well.

The game seems like it is desgined with instinct mode in mind and turning it off is just an after thought. Which sounds like it will make the game less playable and that is my problem.

The gameplay looks fantastic and I am definitely getting this, but the one slight disappointment to me is how sparse the environment looks. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of detail going on in general.

Salsa

daisuke+rolls+52+dubs+and+everyone+reading+this+must+fap+_5bfd02b15e33f036c93c6150092600cf.gif

Derrick I can't believe you're excited about a game you havent called a piece of shit yet. Of course we still have to wait a couple weeks after release though right? =P

feel

I like some of it, but I can't get over how silly it is to do stuff like take mind control of a fish, swim into a location and then just make your original body pop there. I know it's a fantasy setting but daamn! I'm hoping this is another DeusExHR situation where to me everything seemed linear, streamlined, dumb or easy-mode on previews but then it all just clicked and was perfect when I actually played it.

Derrick01

Banned
I know what you mean and and I sincerely hope it delivers. I also hope that if it doesn't you completely bludgeon the fuck out of it like a pro.

I hope I don't have to. I'm putting a lot of hope into this game :(

I think it will at least deliver what it's promising to and that's an intelligent, creative game that lets you choose how to do everything. That doesn't mean it will be good, the rest of the levels could suck, but that alone puts it above 90% of modern games already.

True. The last one might have been your avi.

Yeah. I think I'll even change my avatar around the time the OT comes up. This is the only avatar I've had and I reserve the slot for worthy games.

The graphics to me are fine as long as gameplay is great. System preferences don't really matter much but it will be a hard decision for those who have both 360 and ps3.

demolitio

And this shall be my go-to game to get my stealth fix in since Splinter Cell continues to go in the opposite direction. This seems like LEGIT stealth and I can just see myself taking 10 minutes before moving to plan out my attack.

Amish

Neo Member
really looking forward to this game. loved dark messiah and have been waiting for a new game from akane, cause hopefully ill love this game as much i loved dark messiah, or even more from looking at the videos.

ironcreed

Banned
And this shall be my go-to game to get my stealth fix in since Splinter Cell continues to go in the opposite direction. This seems like LEGIT stealth and I can just see myself taking 10 minutes before moving to plan out my attack.

I plan to do the same for my first run, then play it with a direct and aggressive approach later. Both approaches look so satisfying for what they offer.

Jb

I wonder if the game has a good shot at finding a large enough audience come October. They could market it as a cross between Deus Ex HR and Bioshock, but after seeing what happened to all the other Bethesda published games I'm still worried that this will bomb and discourage publishers to take another stab at non-linear stealth action.

Of course the game could always suck, but Arkane hasn't done me wrong so far.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Really really hope it's polished, some parts of it look a bit janky.

Top Bottom