• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored news/interviews/etc

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
As I said, I haven't played anything made by Arkane, so I focused on Harvey Smith's role, but I never meant or mean to dismiss, even by omission, Arkane's role in the project (and I still think I didn't).

So let's leave it alone and hope for Dishonored to rock our socks off...

you should play Arkane's games by the way. They have that awesomesauce which makes you look past their flaws.

zkylon

zkylewd
you should play Arkane's games by the way. They have that awesomesauce which makes you look past their flaws.
I would, and I had bought Dark Messiah (probably the last boxed game I ever bought), but I'm tragically arachnophobic and Arkane's games feature scary first-person spiders in some way or another to the point their games become traumatizing. I ended up gifting my Dark Messiah to a friend and missing out on the incredibly tempting Arx Fatalis.

For this reason I've also never beaten System Shock 2 or any of the Thief games. I heard there's a no-spider mod for SS2 so I might try it again with that.

subversus

I would, and I had bought Dark Messiah (probably the last boxed game I ever bought), but I'm tragically arachnophobic and Arkane's games feature scary first-person spiders in some way or another to the point their games become traumatizing. I ended up gifting my Dark Messiah to a friend and missing out on the incredibly tempting Arx Fatalis.

For this reason I've also never beaten System Shock 2 or any of the Thief games. I heard there's a no-spider mod for SS2 so I might try it again with that.

damn, that sucks.

zkylon

zkylewd
Those are, like, my favorite games. :(

Thief II might be spider-free, it's more focused on heists and technology (and it's amazing). Thief III might be too, and it has THE CRADLE.

I've played all of those (well, except Thief II, but I've played I and III) enough to get the jist of them, just never got very far, and I curse the gods for that, since both SS2 and Thief I blew my mind when I was a kid and are among the few that drove me to game development.

damn, that sucks.
Yeah... I suffer more how my phobia has impaired gaming than the effect it had on the rest of my life, since spiders aren't really all that common where I live...

subversus

Finding one of the targets, in the steam room with a courtesan. Deciding against confrontation. Finding a valve. Turning it. Boiling both occupants of the steam room. An accident, they’ll say.

nicholsonnodding.gif

also:

There are, we’re told eight or nine different broad methods of completing a level. These were but two, and both were fatal. Another would have been to look for side missions in the streets around the Golden Cat – which, despite being a multi-tier building filled with side rooms and cellars and surrounded by gardens, constitutes “less than half” of the level’s overall space. One side mission opens up the roof path that allowed a stealthier entrance to the cat, but another would have involved doing favours for a local gangster and thus persuading him to help Corvo’s cause. It’s not shown today, but done right this results in the gangster kidnapping the Pendletons and forcing them to work in their own slave mines.

derFeef

Hype to the max.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...iew-the-ways-of-system-shock-and-thief-return
Alternatively, however, you can be creative with the scenery to make your actions look like accidents - one of them quite fancies a dabble in the steam room, for instance, so locating the right pressure wheel could result in a tragic fatal scalding. The bigger the blood trail you leave and the more innocents caught in the crossfire, the more your story will subtly change in tone as the world gets even darker, and the conversations of those with murdered loved ones come back to haunt you.

Loudninja

Dishonored Preview: Cloak and Dagger
Touched by an amoral deity called the Outsider, Corvo now wields an array of supernatural abilities, everything from teleportation and time dilation to summoning hordes of voracious rats and pushing projectiles back at enemies. One supernatural talent enables you to enter the body of a fish or rat, handy for infiltrating a building via a drain pipe or access panel. In combat, Corvo has little to fear, being a master swordsman and pistol marksman. Exotic ammunition types (explosive bullets, tranquilizer darts) and gadgets such as grenades and proximity mines further expand the possibilities. As in Deus Ex you can strike openly, spilling beaucoup buckets of blood in the process, or pull your punches by quietly choking out enemies and tucking their snoozing bodies safely away.

Whether you coldly kill adversaries or show mercy will have consequences on the game’s story — the Outsider himself is curious to see which path you follow. It will also factor in the moment-to-moment gameplay: snuff out a guard and his buddy might alter his patrol route to cover the gap, potentially disrupting your carefully laid plans. But whichever way you play will be the “right” way to play — Arkane’s goal is to put players in full control of the game’s pacing.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/dishonored-preview-cloak-and-dagger/

I am not sure if the pics are new.

Derrick01

Banned
Reading these previews was just amazing but I'm worried I'm learning too much. Hopefully I forget about most of those methods before the game comes out.

All I need to hear is the date it's coming out and how long the game is and I'm sold.

derFeef

Yummy, very distinctive.

7114980229_a3e8eea24e_b.jpg

6968927026_3e18830fae_b.jpg

robin2

I, on the other hand, suffer it a lot to the point of not being able to play.

A simple editable parameter in a configuration file, would be enough...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looking good. Pretty sure there will be a FOV slider in the options, or at least configurable in the .ini so I should be safe.

Guri

Looking very good so far!

Also, a little off topic, but is there any link to Harvey Smith talking about Deus Ex: IW being a mistake or something like that? I just would like to see the full thing.

Staal

The Polygon preview has me hyped. I've been playing Deus Ex HR and hope for some more dystopian worlds to enjoy. ))

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Just to say that frenchies rox :p (well, even if they were acquired by ZeniMax and have an office in Austin, it's a french, Lyon-based studio :p).

Actually, if you follow the job offers on french gaming industry, you would see that they have been hiring noticeably.

And i can't wait to use the Possession skill, it will bring back some memories of Shiny's Messiah & Geist.

-BLITZ-

I like the crossbow in the last screens. It doesn't shines over the textures, coming from graphics or whatever as I can feel the metal. The same goes for the hand. I think I will enjoy this game very much because of their classic visuals.

rififi

7249849090_5662fb65f1_o.gif

Does this gif remind anyone else of the Sims? or is it just me?

Also, why am I not hyped for this - I love the art direction/Viktor Antonov, the gameplay seems perfect for me (stealth, acrobatics, melee combat, assassinations, supernatural powers), open world environments + Harvey Smith and Arkane Studios.

Maybe it's because there hasn't been a lot of gameplay videos/media. I guess I will reassess my hype level after E3.

I've seen the game running and it's beautiful.

I expect they're taking their time releasing gameplay trailers whilst they figure out how to deliver them. Wouldn't be surprised if they do a DXHR multiple trailers = multiple paths thing. There is a lot to convey that a single gameplay trailer simply wouldn't be able to.

Top Bottom