• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney•Pixar Newt canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChoklitReign said:
I guess they couldn't handle the idea of sex in a kid's film.

Wait, what?

Either I'm unaware of an innuendo involving the word Newt, or there is something about this film I was unaware of.

EDIT: Ahhh.. I read the synopsis.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Inferno313 said:
Wait, what?

Either I'm unaware of an innuendo involving the word Newt, or there is something about this film I was unaware of.
I guess you only knew the title, like me?

Cause when you go to wikipedia: "Two newts, Newt and Brooke, live in a community college biology lab and don't care for each other, yet as the last remaining blue-footed newts on the planet, they are forced to mate and carry on the tradition.

Community college?

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Damn. I didn't even know King of the Elves was canceled.
Milesissurprised.jpg

Me neither. I find that more upsetting than Newt being canned.

And I love your avatar. I always envision Miles screaming your posts as if he were annoyed. It adds flair to them.

We knew absolutely nothing about Newt. If it's cancelled, it's probably for the better.

WTF is going on in Emeryville? Is Pixar going to become a sequel factory?

Up was released last year, and the year before it was Wall-E. Then we get Toy Story 3 and Cars 2, followed by the Bear and the Bow. Newt was supposed to follow.

It's hardly a sequel factory. Keep in mind, Monsters Inc 2 IS in development, but it's not in production. Many movies are currently in development, most likely.

noah111

Still Alive
Wtf was newt? fakeedit, did some googling and it sounded promising.. oh well, don't really care much for Disney/Pixar movies anyway tbh. Does it mean only 1 movie in 2011?

The rumor is because Princess and the frog failed there canelling movies and going the "safe route" now with sure bets like Cars 2 and Joe Jump (an animated film where a video game charecter comes to life).

They are even renaming Rapunzel to "entangled" because they think if its named after a princess it will flop.

Littleberu said:
We knew absolutely nothing about Newt. If it's cancelled, it's probably for the better.

That's not true, we knew a little. We knew as much about Up as we do with Newt when Up was around this stage of development (Newt's stage, if its not cancelled).

edit: actually maybe a tad less. my apologies

DeathbyVolcano said:
That's not true, we knew a little. We knew as much about Up as we do with Newt when Up was around this stage of development (Newt's stage, if its not cancelled).

Yeah, that's my point. We knew little. If they cancelled newt, it's because it wasn't good enough. Would people prefer them to release a bad movie?

If anything, it shows that they aren't perfect and that Pixar makes mistake. It will only be replaced by a movie that's either better, or more advanced in its development.

Why would they cancel any pixar film? dont they all make shit loads of money?

That's the point ; they don't release movies because they need the money, but because it's a good story and they want it to be told.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I want to know who ultimately cancelled the film though. If it's cancelled by people like Brad or John, then yeah it's probably for the best.

Anticitizen One said:
The rumor is because Princess and the frog failed there canelling movies and going the "safe route" now with sure bets like Cars 2 and Joe Jump (an animated film where a video game charecter comes to life).

They are even renaming Rapunzel to "entangled" because they think if its named after a princess it will flop.
Wtf. There is no way on earth "Entangled" is more marketable than "Rapunzel."

NetMapel said:
I want to know who ultimately cancelled the film though. If it's cancelled by people like Brad or John, then yeah it's probably for the best.

Who cares? The movie might have been over budget, passed its development time, the script might not have been good enough, etc..

It's certainly not because it wasn't "marketable" enough, as Up, Wall-E and Ratatouille proves.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Wtf. There is no way on earth "Entangled" is more marketable than "Rapunzel."

Actually the news is even worse. Entangled is just one of the names being considered. The others are "The Bandit in the tower" and "Unbraided". I WISH I was making this up. Why they can't just call it Rapunzel is beyond me. This is going to sink the film.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Littleberu said:
Who cares? The movie might have been over budget, passed its development time, the script might not have been good enough, etc..

It's certainly not because it wasn't "marketable" enough, as Up, Wall-E and Ratatouille proves.
Well, all I'm saying is that I trust people like Brad and John from Pixar. If they approved the cancellation of this film, then I agree it is probably for the best.

WillyFive

NO!

Pixar has never had a cancelled film! Every movie they made got finished and became epic.

Newt had a really great story too. About the last two of their species left, and they hated each other....

Willy105 said:
NO!

Pixar has never had a cancelled film! Every movie they made got finished and became epic.

Newt had a really great story too. About the last two of their species left, and they hated each other....

How do you know that, that they never cancelled a movie?

WillyFive

Littleberu said:
How do you know that, that they never cancelled a movie?

Not any that was announced, or made public.

They just kept working the concept until they got something they wanted. The Incredibles was vastly different from what it ended up being, it was almost something else, but it was still The Incredibles from the beginning.

I can't fathom they couldn't get Newt right, especially a concept so (seemingly) simple.

I don't believe it until it's on some reputable animation sites, but that being said Newt was the future Pixar flick I was most pumped about.

Shitty if true.

Willy105 said:
Not any that was announced, or made public.

They just kept working the concept until they got something they wanted. The Incredibles was vastly different from what it ended up being, it was almost something else, but it was still The Incredibles from the beginning.

I can't fathom they couldn't get Newt right, especially a concept so (seemingly) simple.

Keep in mind, Newt isn't officially cancelled, nor as it been made public that it was no longer in development.

Lijik

I didn't even know the other two movies were shelved.
This is a trifecta of terrible.

I don't even care that I'm probably using trifecta wrong right now. Fuck you Disney

So....wait. Let me get this straight:

Disney is canceling a Pixar movie.....because of what? They being tired of being continually upstaged by the Pixar crew, when it comes to kids movies? Or do they think that "Sequels = Cash, so let's make nothing but that....."

On that note, honestly guys...while I love Pixar movies, I would like to see NEW stuff more than a 2nd or 3rd movie from an established franchise. Toy Story 3? Loved the first 2. But I care more for something like Newt, because it's.......you know.....new. Cars 2? Sure, go ahead with it. But do it after....you know......Newt.

But I guess it's a moot point, when your corporate overlords crack the whips; pull your strings & bark their orders, eh, Pixar?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Man, I was actually really interested in this film, more so than their other project. Cars 2 can go straight to hell.
I'm going to end up watching it anyway.

Captain N

DiatribeEQ said:
So....wait. Let me get this straight:

Disney is canceling a Pixar movie.....because of what? They being tired of being continually upstaged by the Pixar crew, when it comes to kids movies? Or do they think that "Sequels = Cash, so let's make nothing but that....."

On that note, honestly guys...while I love Pixar movies, I would like to see NEW stuff more than a 2nd or 3rd movie from an established franchise. Toy Story 3? Loved the first 2. But I care more for something like Newt, because it's.......you know.....new. Cars 2? Sure, go ahead with it. But do it after....you know......Newt.

But I guess it's a moot point, when your corporate overlords crack the whips; pull your strings & bark their orders, eh, Pixar?

You know..thats what is odd about this whole thing. Pixar didn't want to sell to Disney because they just wanted them to pump out 2s and 3s of all their popular movies. That's where Toy Story 3 made by Disney came from. The one where the Buzz toy got recalled.

Uh, the Snow Queen was canceled a long time ago, and was actually recently just brought back to life. It's Disney's next traditionally animated film after Winnie the Pooh. King of Elves isn't even actually canceled, they're just not actively working on it at the moment.

And newt hasn't been canned. There's been a huge shitshuffle in the Pixar world the last few days with people claiming that Cars 2 was pushed back due to production problems and the shockwave of that was 'what happens to newt and Bear & Bow?" I follow several Pixar animators on Twitter and they've said Cars 2 hasn't been delayed and the other movies are fine.

This thread is depressing.

I didn't know that the Snow Queen was canceled, and I wasn't even aware that there was going to be a King of the Elves movie and now that's not happening either. :(

And Pixar canning a project? Feels strange.

Edit:

WordAssassin said:
Uh, the Snow Queen was canceled a long time ago, and was actually recently just brought back to life. It's Disney's next traditionally animated film after Winnie the Pooh. King of Elves isn't even actually canceled, they're just not actively working on it at the moment.

And newt hasn't been canned. There's been a huge shitshuffle in the Pixar world the last few days with people claiming that Cars 2 was pushed back due to production problems and the shockwave of that was 'what happens to newt and Bear & Bow?" I follow several Pixar animators on Twitter and they've said Cars 2 hasn't been delayed and the other movies are fine.
I like this news better.

Captain N

WordAssassin said:

which one said Newt is fine? I know they brought back snow queen, but it just came out that it looks to be canceled again.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Pixar has never disappointed and their last films since Toy Story 2 have been original IPs (Monster's Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, WALL-E, and Up). While Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 are likely going to be their next films, I don't think one cancellation of an original Pixar movie means that all of their movies are going to be sequels based on the established franchises they have created in the past. Besides, Newt does sound hard to market, even for Pixar, although I do not doubt Pixar's ability to succeed even with Newt (and I did want to see it, it sounded hilarious).

I just don't think, given Pixar's track record, we should believe that Pixar is going to start spewing out sequel after sequel.

Banned
Yeah, this guy doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. I know, personally that the elves movie is still in the pipeline as well as Snow Queen.

I don't remember, I follow like 8-10 of them. It was the Disney conference call that started it, because someone misquoted them saying "Cars 2 Summer 2012" instead of June 2011. So everyone freaked out, and Twitter lit up with damage control.

It could be just that - damage control - but I really doubt it. I was at Pixar three months ago and there's newt shit hidden all over the place. I'd really hate for it to be canned but until I hear an official word that it's dead, I'm not gonna buy this.

Remember, before Brad Bird came on to save Ratatouille it was in pretty bad shape. But instead of canning it they got a different team to do it. Same thing with Meet the Robinson's, Rapunzel, and Bolt over at Disney. Lasseter doesn't can films.

Edit: Why is newt hard to market? Seriously? It's a romantic comedy about finding love. There doesn't have to be lizards fucking in it. The end of the film would just be a cut to the two newts in the future surrounded by kids.

Captain N

WordAssassin said:
I don't remember, I follow like 8-10 of them. It was the Disney conference call that started it, because someone misquoted them saying "Cars 2 Summer 2012" instead of June 2011. So everyone freaked out, and Twitter lit up with damage control.

It could be just that - damage control - but I really doubt it. I was at Pixar three months ago and there's newt shit hidden all over the place. I'd really hate for it to be canned but until I hear an official word that it's dead, I'm not gonna buy this.

Remember, before Brad Bird came on to save Ratatouille it was in pretty bad shape. But instead of canning it they got a different team to do it. Same thing with Meet the Robinson's, Rapunzel, and Bolt over at Disney. Lasseter doesn't can films.

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/02/exodus.html

I do remember Bard Bird coming and doing that. Its something Disney has done in the past as well.

Yeah, this guy doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. I know, personally that the elves movie is still in the pipeline as well as Snow Queen.

and I know personally that they are both cancelled...

Captain N

WordAssassin said:
Ugh, FUUUUUUU

What is going on in the Mouse House. Is this going to be the early 00s all over again? I KNOW that Lasseter won't let 2D animation at Disney die. He's committed to it, they're not going to let a movie they knew would be a hard sell change their minds.

I have a feeling he wants to do movies like Cars 2 in order to make enough money to support movies like snow queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom