• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Bought the Collector's Edition as a Christmas present for my sister, and finally got a chance to play it this morning for about two hours.

Loving Epic Mickey so far. Digging the atmosphere, music, and just overall charm of the game. I also think the paint/thinner mechanic is pretty darn good and has sometimes even shown glimpses of brilliance. Already I feel the need (and want) to rebuild this world that I once destroyed. It's really satisfying to enter a room that looks like it is literally falling apart and take it and leave with it looking like something straight out of a Disney cartoon! Also the figurine and remastered cartoons were well worth the extra $20 for the Collector's Edition IMO.

As for the negatives; Yeah the controls and camera can be rather bothersome, but nothing pain-inducing so far. The platforming seems about on an average level, reminding me a lot of psychonauts and in someways even Banjo Kazooie. Enemies are you standard fair so far, mostly attacking by running after you or throwing thinner at you.

Of course I can't give a real opinion on the game yet, but considering most people say the first two hours are the worst.... I'm really excited to keep playing. :D

Amir0x

Banned
stuminus3 said:
You guys call this the worst camera ever? It's not even close. Jeez.

I can honestly think of few games this generation with a worse camera. It's so frequently terrible that I have taken to imagining that the camera is the true villain of Epic Mickey. In order to really win the game you must defeat the camera.

Amir0x said:
I can honestly think of few games this generation with a worse camera. It's so frequently terrible that I have taken to imagining that the camera is the true villain of Epic Mickey. In order to really win the game you must defeat the camera.

For me, it's already one thing that you have to fight the camera, but the bigger problem for me is when you CAN move the camera it moves at like 0.5 miles an hour and makes the whole experience just feel sluggish.

I'm sticking with it, though. My experience with the game has been average at best but the concept really is too enthralling for me to give up.

sfried

Amir0x said:
You must not be used to the whole "Z-targeting" center camera with one button.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's inarguably a shitty camera. if it was like Zelda's z-target camera we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Gooster said:
For me, it's already one thing that you have to fight the camera, but the bigger problem for me is when you CAN move the camera it moves at like 0.5 miles an hour and makes the whole experience just feel sluggish.

I'm sticking with it, though. My experience with the game has been average at best but the concept really is too enthralling for me to give up.

you can move the camera faster by double tapping left or right

The crux of the camera problem is that the camera never stops being automatic. Ideally the automatic camera would be good and you'd never need to manually control it. As it is, you're trying to get a clear view of the action and the arrogant prick camera is fighting you.

If there was a menu option that said: Automatic Camera- On/Off, then problem solved. It would be a bad camera, just not an torturous one. Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers had a poor camera, but it was manageable because it let you control it manually. Otherwise, it used a similar solution of having the d-pad act the right analog stick.

Rez said:
it's inarguably a shitty camera. if it was like Zelda's z-target camera we wouldn't be having this discussion.

if you hold 'c' it does lock onto an enemy...but even that fails to properly give you a good view of the situation.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
farnham said:
so there is a rumor or announcement that this will be a new ps3 move game

can anyone validate _?
http://psnow.es/noticias/articulo/3114/

Ehhh... Google Translate sez January 3 announcement... blah blah blah... the game will support Move... blah blah... supposedly will come with Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 on the disk... blah blah... reason why didn't come out at same time as Wii version is that Nintendo has 6-month exclusivity contract... blah blah blah.

I saw this article earlier too... but I usually wait for at least some sites that I trust to actually confirm it w/ their own articles.

Skiesofwonder

After 28 days on the NA market, Epic Mickey has a little less then 10,000 players reporting player data to the Nintendo Channel for the Disney game. Not sure if that is good or not (It has been reported that only around 20% of Wii owners have their Wiis actually connected to the internet) but I am really interested in seeing how this game sells.

Disney+Epic+Mickey%2527s+Wii+Game-Play+hours+data+debut+by+CoffeewithGames.jpg

Read more here.

Lijik

Do you have to go to the Nintendo channel for that info to be uploaded? Because I sure as hell don't bother with it unless theres a DS demo Im interested in up.

I've been playing for about an hour and every little thing you do causes Gus to start talking or some clip to begin playing...and its getting very annoying. Does this happen the entire game?

Salsa

HTmoJ.jpg

yey!

2 hours in and im really loving it. I'll save judgement for later but im definetly not seeing a lot of the issues most people mentioned. It has some weird design decisions and whatnot, but its really enjoyable. No real camera issues so far. Only thing i can say is that the "shake the wiimote to spin" thing doesnt feel as tight as Galaxy, it requires a bit more than just a flick of the wiimote and that kinda sucks sometimes.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So why is there hate for this game?

I got it for Christmas and I absolutely love it. Part of my love comes from just wandering around and appreciating the insane amounts of (loving) detail put into the world.

I can understand there are 'better' games but there are a LOT more 'worse' games and I really can't figure out the hate-on that is out for this game. I'd give it an 8 / 8.5 easy.

Skiesofwonder

oh my bad, didn't know reporting numbers from that certain site was bannable. Just thought it would be fun to come back and laugh at them and my hope for good sales when we find out Epic Mickey barely sold 100k in December lol........ :(

Thanks Kenka.

Kenka

Skiesofwonder said:
VGCzzzz has Epic MIckey at almost 1 Million sold in North America so far.

Sigh..... if only that was really true.
please please please!

Jesus, be careful with this one. ******** numbers are totally inconsistent with actual trackers records. Quoting their numbers on GAF is a bannable offense. Edit ASAP.

And trust me, there is no way in hell it sold that amount. Just trust me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finished this game a few days ago.

There was some really cool moments in Tortuga through to the Mansion, with the end game getting a tad tedious again.

The moments where the game really worked, like the aforementioned Tortuga, Skull Island, Jungle, Creepy Marsh area and the Mansion were almost worth all the shitty Ostown, Mickeyjunk, Ventureland and Mean Street sections. Almost.

JazzmanZ

The endgame was really getting pretty awesome, but was there a way to help the
blotted characters inside the shadow blot without destroying the bloticles? they seemed pretty much invincible to paint and thinner

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
My biggest gripe with it (maybe 3 hours in?) is that I have no idea why I'm doing anything I'm doing.

There's nothing connecting what seems like a bunch of completely random events.
There's really not strong motivational factor to be doing anything, no real story reason or no real reward for doing it, other than some floaty guy telling me to chase a bunny. I don't know WHY I'm chasing the bunny. Or who the bunny is. I don't even know where he goes, or really how to follow him, other than some floaty guy with 50 identical twins randomly says 'fixes these rides, bunny went that way.'

Look, I know who these characters are, but my point is: if you remove the factor that its Oswald and you're like, cool, Disney characters, wtf am I doing and why am I doing it?

The game is beautiful and I'll keep playing, but some context would sure help the experience.
It all seems so... disconnected.

If I didn't go into the Quests menu, I wouldn't even have known that my ultimate objective is "Go Home."

Tron 2.0

As a huge Disney history fan and an even bigger Disneyland nut, I ate the game up.

Yes, the camera was terrible sometimes and I wish that once you fixed up Mean Street or OsTown it would stay that way when you revisited instead of reverting each time.

But overall I enjoyed it.

I bought the game when it came out and havent even opened it yet :lol

I might finally get to it tomorrow, Ive been busy with other stuff.

To be fair, flingsmash is also unopened

My advice is to enjoy your wiimote plus and leave Flingsmash unopened. Worst Nintendo game since Mario Pinball Land. Epic Mickey, on the other hand, though it is heavily flawed, is worth a playthrough because there are moments of genius under all the poo game design. As I said before, it's the first time I've hated a game that I liked this much. :lol

Skiesofwonder

I'm a bit frustrated with Epic Mickey right now, just entered the jungle. I have put it down for a few days because of school starting and all. This weekend though I will be picking it back up even though it is indeed a very flawed game.

But....

EviLore said:
December 2010 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)

01. Call of Duty: Black Ops** (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
02. Just Dance 2 (Wii) UBISOFT
03. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm** (PC) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
04. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood** (360, PS3) UBISOFT
05. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) NINTENDO
06. Disney Epic Mickey** (Wii) DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
07. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP) ELECTRONIC ARTS
08. Michael Jackson The Experience** (Wii, NDS, PSP) UBISOFT
09. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC) TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (360, PS3, Wii, PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS

Looks like it sold pretty darn well! :D Hopefully this gets Junction Point to make a much improved sequel and/or the chance to make even more hardcore Disney games using other IPs of theirs.

Edit: ranked number 4 for Individual SKUs sold in December. :D

MYE

Skiesofwonder said:
Looks like it sold pretty darn well! :D Hopefully this gets Junction Point to make a much improved sequel and/or the chance to make even more hardcore Disney games using other IPs of theirs.

Edit: ranked number 4 for Individual SKUs sold in December. :D

:D

Started playing the game a few days ago. Loved the intro. Game was great and when I first got to a "ride" and heard classic style ride music I fell in love. I haven't had the time to play to many games besides little bite sized ones like Angry Birds but man, so good. I've already recommended the game to a few friends.

Hiltz

I'm quite surprised Epic Mickey managed to make it on to the top 10 chart.

It's just that I didn't think the good marketing effort and brand power of Disney would be enough to overcome what is undeniably one of the most disappointing video games of 2010 .In addition, this is a big core third-party exclusive and we all know how difficult it is for those to sell well on the Wii.

I haven't played much of the game since my sister's boyfriend took it home. So far, he has been unimpressed by the graphics and art style of the cut scenes, frustrated by the camera and found the gameplay to be pretty boring. Of course, He's very critical of everything despite being a casual gamer with no appreciation of the artistic elements in video games or interest in story-telling.

Hiltz said:
I'm quite surprised Epic Mickey managed to make it on to the top 10 chart.

It's just that I didn't think the good marketing effort and brand power of Disney would be enough to overcome what is undeniably one of the most disappointing video games of 2010 .In addition, this is a big core third-party exclusive and we all know how difficult it is for those to sell well on the Wii.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority consumers dont actively look for the Nintendo logo when buying an appealing game. Being a 3rd party game doesnt it stop it from doing well. The way 3rd parties handled the games is what stopped them from doing well.

This game, metroid other:m, and donkey kong are my favorite wii games right now.
Yes, there are some flaws but I have still enjoyed them very much.

I think I'm almost done with this game,
but I'm stuck in
...the Lonesome Manor Attic. Trying to kill the mad doctor

How different is the game when you replay it and throw thinner everywhere instead? I played the good guy this round.
Is it worth going through a second time?

Amir0x

Banned
Well I guess Junction Point won't be closing. Let's just hope they don't take away from the sales data that the game isn't a broken mess of archaic sub-N64 game design

Skiesofwonder

Kenka said:
Jesus, be careful with this one. ******** numbers are totally inconsistent with actual trackers records. Quoting their numbers on GAF is a bannable offense. Edit ASAP.

And trust me, there is no way in hell it sold that amount. Just trust me.

Disney's Epic Mickey -- 1.32MM

:D :D :D

Edit: Sorry not rubbing it anyone's face. As you can see above that post I had even came to turns that it probably barely sold 100k lol, not around the 1 million that we were talking about. So awesome that it did MORE then that, it deserves a sequel... it could be amazing! And Junction Point deserves another chance! :D

DarkPanda

JazzmanZ said:
The endgame was really getting pretty awesome, but was there a way to help the
blotted characters inside the shadow blot without destroying the bloticles? they seemed pretty much invincible to paint and thinner

Nope,
they're completely invincible, there to be an obstacle to be avoided. If I remember correctly, they're not exacly blotted characters, but re-creations of characters that the blot made, so there's nothing to "save" anyway.

vagabondarts said:
How different is the game when you replay it and throw thinner everywhere instead? I played the good guy this round.
Is it worth going through a second time?

Not that different. You'll do a few different quests that you had to give up on the "good" path, you'll have more thinner, get a few different pins, and have a darker ending, but game-play-wise there's not too much of a difference. Additional playthroughs really depend on how much you want to collect everything and see every little cinematic in the game.

apana

So I'm probably going to get this game next week. Juts a few quick questions:

1. How good is the story? My little cousin told me it was pretty awesome, but he didn't give much details because..um.. he's a little kid. Compared to a good Disney movie how does this story rank?

2. Any tips for how to work around camera control issues?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright, so I finally finished the game and I have to say it was an excellent ride. The entire game was pretty good and I really liked the choice / consequences aspect of it. I'll definitely be revisiting it in time.

Positives are quite easy;

The Disney history
The Story (not childish at all, very all-ages)
Oswald!
The mixture of Zelda style adventure and Platform adventure in the same game
The paint/thinner mechanic is a lot of fun

The negatives are a bit harder to figure out;

The camera. It isn't great but it isn't as bad as people are saying.
A few dry sections of the game. Not many.
Fetch quests...
The ending drags on a little bit and has some not-too-fun parts to it.

I'd still rate the game an 8 or an 8.5 . Most games let me down if I get hyped for them (even ones I later love, like No More Heroes, which I needed to revisit after the hype let me down) whereas this game exceeded my hype. A few small issues keeps it from being perfect but in the end its a great game!

apana said:
So I'm probably going to get this game next week. Juts a few quick questions:

1. How good is the story? My little cousin told me it was pretty awesome, but he didn't give much details because..um.. he's a little kid. Compared to a good Disney movie how does this story rank?

2. Any tips for how to work around camera control issues?

#1 Really good. It is very similar to the old Disney movies in that there is nothing that isn't "kid safe" (But the game is hard at points which would frustrate kids) but it is enjoyable by an adult.

#2 The camera isn't nearly that bad, there are a few points it was irritating but it never got in the way of gameplay. If you try to collect everything it might be irritating but the worst aspect you'll have to deal with is when the camera tries to help you out but hits some geometry in the background and gets a bit off-angle.

For the most part enjoy the game at your own pace, its one of those games where exploration is half the fun (except for World #2, I won't spoil it for you but 2 of 4 sucks, only part of the game I didn't like)

Also there is some trial-and-error gameplay (very old school design) which I for one loved so if you grew up in the days that rewarded trial-and-error you'll have a blast!

apana

Thanks Isslave,

I know there are a lot of varying opinions but your impressions make me more confident about purchasing this game. I can't wait to put my own review in this thread when I'm done.

exwallst

My guess: Junction Point survives, Epic Mickey does not. Everything from new management seems to be pointing away from long-term expensive console development.

Top Bottom