• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

apana

exwallst said:
My guess: Junction Point survives, Epic Mickey does not. Everything from new management seems to be pointing away from long-term expensive console development.

Epic Mickey sales were amazing and there are some rumors they already started on Epic Mickey 2.

Epic Mickey was sold out in stores Spain during Christmas, so if here did well I suppose that in other countries would have been similar.

Thank oh mighty christmas god, for helping boost games like epic mickey and DKCR in Europe!

Oh fuck, now I want to get back to the wasteland!

BTW, In Disney's California Adventure there are big construction banners (they are remodeling the whole entrance) with old mickey and pal characters, and yep, there is also Oswald. He starting to enter the parks!

5347076502_208c560c746.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
exwallst said:
My guess: Junction Point survives, Epic Mickey does not. Everything from new management seems to be pointing away from long-term expensive console development.

you couldn't be more wrong

JEKKI

whooo~!!!

been slowly playing this game since it came out,

finally beat it today!!

awesome game, but definitely has its fair share of flaws.

I wonder what the alternate endings to this game are??

John Harker said:
okay well i guess he could be a tiny bit more wrong :)

You know Im excited for the things you say no? :)

But if somebody can tel Warren, or the pushing dasies composer to really make tirbutes of the disney theme park themes instead of only two in the whole game I would be more pleased.

He only used two themes, Its a Small World remix (clock fight and a little bit inside the ride) and Mickey Mouse Club March (a little bit going up Mickey Junk Mountain).
No Its a Big and Beautiful Tomorrow, no Grim Grinning Ghost, no Pirates Life for me...

And what about lands and rides that were lost, forgotten or never built, like Country Bear, adventure through Inner Space, Davy Crockett, (in fact, ALL Frontierland, besides new orleans square, if you can call that frontierland, was missing in action in this game), Edison Square or Liberty Street (main Street zones never built), Rainbow Casverns Mine Train (first version of Big Thunder Mountain), Skyway to Fantasyland and Torrowland, and 1986 future vision of Tomorrowland version (the one that was done in 1955).

Instead we get things like a Tronized Tomorrowland, and in my opinion, im starting to get fed up of Tronizing things (and I dont even hate Tron, I loved the second movie), but come on, all people (and even more now) remember what is Tron, why put it in a forgotten Disneyland? It would had been better in my opinion leaving retro Tomorrowland and then making the boss fight with Petetron in the top of Space Mountain with Tron visuals, that was a good use for it.

The bad thing is, if you see the concept art, lots of the things I was listing were in the game at some time. Lack of time to finish the game?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
You know Im excited for the things you say no? :)

But if somebody can tel Warren, or the pushing dasies composer to really make tirbutes of the disney theme park themes instead of only two in the whole game I would be more pleased.

He only used two themes, Its a Small World remix (clock fight and a little bit inside the ride) and Mickey Mouse Club March (a little bit going up Mickey Junk Mountain).
No Its a Big and Beautiful Tomorrow, no Grim Grinning Ghost, no Pirates Life for me...

And what about lands and rides that were lost, forgotten or never built, like Country Bear, adventure through Inner Space, Davy Crockett, (in fact, ALL Frontierland, besides new orleans square, if you can call that frontierland, was missing in action in this game), Edison Square or Liberty Street (main Street zones never built), Rainbow Casverns Mine Train (first version of Big Thunder Mountain), Skyway to Fantasyland and Torrowland, and 1986 future vision of Tomorrowland version (the one that was done in 1955).

Instead we get things like a Tronized Tomorrowland, and in my opinion, im starting to get fed up of Tronizing things (and I dont even hate Tron, I loved the second movie), but come on, all people (and even more now) remember what is Tron, why put it in a forgotten Disneyland? It would had been better in my opinion leaving retro Tomorrowland and then making the boss fight with Petetron in the top of Space Mountain with Tron visuals, that was a good use for it.

The bad thing is, if you see the concept art, lots of the things I was listing were in the game at some time. Lack of time to finish the game?
I agree. There was a lot of wasted potential when it comes to this...
I would have appreciated being able to ride a train to go from world to world instead of screens....
On that note, how about a cohesive connected world (no screens needed).

If they make another one, they need to let you ride through some dark rides and really up the atmosphere and immersion. Play up the theme park angle.

I love the game, but if a sequel was made that was just like this one with different levels, I wouldn't be interested.

vagabondarts said:
I agree. There was a lot of wasted potential when it comes to this...
I would have appreciated being able to ride a train to go from world to world instead of screens....
On that note, how about a cohesive connected world (no screens needed).

If they make another one, they need to let you ride through some dark rides and really up the atmosphere and immersion. Play up the theme park angle.

I love the game, but if a sequel was made that was just like this one with different levels, I wouldn't be interested.

Yep, I think the going through Mickey cartoon levels to go from zone to zone needs to go out. If they want to add them, put them as secret zones you have to find in levels, and make them 2D platforming stages a la mario galaxy, with enemies, hazards... and not levels of going from point A to point B and viceversa.
Make a huge Disneyland openworld with its secret passages, its big cohesive zones, new lands that were not in the first... Make a fast travel using the disneyland train stations (one in Main Street, one in Ostown and one in Frontierland), and use the skyway ride to fast travel between fantasyland and tomorrowland.
Make the square and streets in disneyland like Zelda villages and the hyrule fields, and make the most important rides as if they were dungeons. They tried to do something like that with the first game, but it was not so good. Smaller rides can be placed in this villages and fields, that are full of sidequests, minigames and secrets.
Make more variety of NPC not only black and white cows, horses and dogs. Also make those NPC to be something about the land you are (again the tried, but they didnt gave its fullest), for example cowboys, indians and characters from davy crocket in Frontierland, pirates (more types please, use from the rides and not only from peter pan), explorers, and friendly cannibals for Adventureland, aliens and astronauts for Tomorrowland, obscure and secondary Disney movie characters for Fantasyland, the country Bear Jamboree characters for Country Bear (critter country), ghosts and Mardi Grass characters for New Orleans, typical Hello Dolly characters for Main Street and the black and White NPC and other cartoon mickey mouse friends for Ostown.

Thanks to the ending of the first game they can do this
the characters were remodeling the Wasteland

Also, please, oh please, continue with disneyland, do not touch disneyworld yet until you perfected the first world as I said above and you have a better system to work with (Wii2). I know he wanted to do a trilogy, so its best to leave the bigger thing for the last game.

Prentice

Neo Member

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Um, anyone have any issues triggering the scene for the Noisy Safe mission?
I got the code from Moody (7-2-5), and now I can't open the damn thing. I jump on it, I jump around it, I spray it, I spin on it. Nada. I don't want to thin it to drop it. Why won't it open?!

John Harker said:
Um, anyone have any issues triggering the scene for the Noisy Safe mission?
I got the code from Moody (7-2-5), and now I can't open the damn thing. I jump on it, I jump around it, I spray it, I spin on it. Nada. I don't want to thin it to drop it. Why won't it open?!

The same thing happened to me. Just go back to meanstreet and return to ostown and it should work.

Hiltz

I recently got around to playing the game, but only got up to finishing the section of
It's a Small World Ride
. Honestly, there isn't much in the way of good things to say about Epic Mickey at this point.

This is the first Wii title I have played where the IR pointer is used quite poorly. It feels too fidgety, making it hard to properly aim with. The camera's essentially unreliable at least half the time due to the sluggish and clunky camera controls. This is despite how you can double tap the D-pad to make it move slightly faster. I have also tried to center the camera but the feature rarely ever works when you need it to.

As for the game's graphics, I'm not impressed by them. The dark look of the environments makes it fairly difficult to see some of the objects you need to interact with. As a result, it makes it hard to appreciate the games art style.The Wasteland sure does feel lifeless but I don't know if that's exactly a positive thing. I was also not impressed by the art style of the cut scenes because they look kind of cheap. Combat felt too simplistic and repetitive and I have yet to experience any clever platforming. Can't say much about the story since nothing major has happened. It's annoying how the mission structure hurts with the pacing of the gameplay. You're constantly interrupted by these NPC gremlin guys where they tell you what to do and where to go. I really hope that this is just a part of the tutorial because it has already worn out its welcome.

I turned off the game because it got boring and felt too much like a chore. I'm hesitant to continue to play even though I generally hate to leave games unfinished in my household.

apana

Just started playing and got to mean street. This is a fun game but the camera is janky as hell. Will keep people updated as I go through more of the game, just at the beggining right now.

apana

Wow this game keeps getting better. I definitely am not regretting my purchase like I was afraid I would. I'm at tomorrow land right now.

rezuth

Wooooow, this game really holds your hand in the start, does it gett better? I hate it pausing and telling me stuff that is obvious.

apana

rezuth said:
Wooooow, this game really holds your hand in the start, does it gett better? I hate it pausing and telling me stuff that is obvious.

I think you can skip some of those sequences if you hold down the A button. I don't know, I haven't had a problem with it so far though I can certainly see why many would. I suppose it gets a little bit better.

Lijik

rezuth said:
Once you get to the Mean Street, a lot of the hand holding gets better.
It never really goes away as the camera will always pan towards objectives at the start of most rooms, but you're not getting told how to jump every two minutes like at the start.

Effect

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Epic Mickey was sold out in stores Spain during Christmas, so if here did well I suppose that in other countries would have been similar.

Thank oh mighty christmas god, for helping boost games like epic mickey and DKCR in Europe!

BTW, In Disney's California Adventure there are big construction banners (they are remodeling the whole entrance) with old mickey and pal characters, and yep, there is also Oswald. He starting to enter the parks!

Nice. I was wondering when this was going to happen. I keep thinking they need to make a statue with Mickey and Oswald standing next to each other smiling. Play up the brothers angle. I just hope they eventual put him in a cartoon.

apana

I'm getting closer towards the end. I have mixed feelings about this game but its not as bad as some people are saying. Mostly fun but partly flawed. Giantbomb gave it a 2/5, that's just crazy. Some of the graphics and animation really are impressive. Doesn't look PS2 era for the most part.

apana

Alright so I just finished the game last night. LOL it seems like they decided to ship the game without making the final boss battle. Overall I really enjoyed this game but it does have a lot of problems. This is more like Epic Mickey:Rough Draft. I'll post a longer review later.

So I decided to go back to Epic Mickey and give it a second chance, and I have a question:

Just exited Tomorrowland,
redeeming Petetronic
, but when I looked through my inventory I found I'm missing only one animatronic Goofy part and I looked up where it was and I was wondering if it was possible to go back in and retrieve it?

I'm at tortooga or wherever it's called with the pirates, how much more have I got? Personally I like the game enough to finish it but feel there are a few flaws that have all been mentioned iirc in this thread.

apana

DoomXploder7 said:
I'm at tortooga or wherever it's called with the pirates, how much more have I got? Personally I like the game enough to finish it but feel there are a few flaws that have all been mentioned iirc in this thread.

Finish the game, it really gets good toward the end. One of the boss battles really blew me away in terms of flashiness.

apana

Epic Mickey Review Part 1

Camera: Yikes this thing is janky as hell. I wonder which intern in China was tasked with creating it on his own. Feels like Warren Spector decided to hire Lakitu's pothead brother. Its always a problem, it really is one of the worst cameras ever. It moves in all these odd positions and tries to block your view. A large part of whether or not you like this game will depend on how you can manage it. I'm a relaxed dude so I didn't let it ruin my enjoyment of the game.

Level Design: Ranging from mediocre to awesome. The concepts themselves are what make you love the levels, but the execution feels amateurish. The 2D level design is very nice, it may not be precision platforming but it just has the right "feel" in terms of art and asthetics.

Graphics: Damn you people didn't play a lot of PS2 platformers if you think it looks like that. Sure the art style is a little drab and dreary but the best moments are some of the best on the Wii. One of the boss battles towards the end really impressed me. The way he was moving felt so real, like I was in an animated movie.

More of my thoughts to come....

Lijik

apana said:
Camera: Yikes this thing is janky as hell. I wonder which intern in China was tasked with creating it on his own. Feels like Warren Spector decided to hire Lakitu's pothead brother. Its always a problem, it really is one of the worst cameras ever.

The best thing I can say about the game's camera (aside from not having much of an issue with it) is that it performs godly compared to amazingly awful camera found in Flip's Twisted World.

apana said:
One of the boss battles towards the end really impressed me. The way he was moving felt so real, like I was in an animated movie.
If I'm thinking of the same boss you are
The phantom blot on Mickeyjunk's peak?
then I totally agree. I was actually reminiscing about that fight the other day as one of the game's standout moments.

Looking back, one of the biggest problems I have with the level designs is that occasionally there would be neat concepts that the game would never capitalize on ever again. The bunny kids show up in an actual level like, once? twice? throughout the entire adventure. Its a shame because they're one of the most interesting enemies in the game.

Ah, I can finally post, been waiting months to do so. I wrote a review on amazon and since then I've been wanted a chance to discuss a few other things about this game:

Having played through the game several times, I'm convinced that the game's biggest problems aren't the camera and the level design, its the world design. The game's levels work very well as areas to run around in quest in. My biggest gripe is how segmented the world is with the projectors. The game would have been much better if they had connected all the areas in a 3D Zelda kind of way rather than segment every action area with a 2D level. There is something extremely off putting about running around in Lonesome Manor and having to take a portal to travel from the Library to the Attic of whatever.

I didn't have any problem with the camera when it comes to platforming, but I was bothered quite often when I wanted to paint something just above or below my vision. Being able to move while in first person would have fixed a lot of my complaints about the camera.

I actually really like the approach of the game's basic structure, however. The idea of taking the collectathon, exploration based nonlinear platformers of the 64 era, but modernizing it by replacing collecting with questing is awesome and the game is does it quite well. The quest design could have been better I will certainly admit.

That said, this game has one of the best climaxes in a video game that I can remember. The 2nd to the last level is really, really awesome.

I have to wonder if I'm more in love with the idea of the game rather than the game itself. There is undoubtedly a lot of room for improvement, but I still maintain that it is still a solid enough game on its own. I do hope there is a sequel that ties of the loose threads of the gameplay together.

SpacePirate Ridley said:

On this tangent, check out what I bought at my local Disney Store over the weekend:

He's pretty much gonna hang out in my car.

dXeeF.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game not mentioning you cannot backtrack rather annoyed me. I wasn't made aware of this until I got to Mean Street and attempted to go back to collect some things I had missed.

Gameboy415

I finished the game over the weekend and I must admit I enjoyed it quite a bit.
...from Mean Street onward, that is. The first few sections were pretty crappy.

Oh, and for anyone worried about missing animatronic parts: you can buy whatever you missed in that area's respective shop for 1000 e-tickets a pop.

etiolate

Banned
From what I've played of Epic Mickey, I've been hooked on it. I like the flow of the game and the world created works really well. I am actually invested in the situation. I find myself painting/thinning things to see what happens.

The issues are too many text bubbles of explanation that I cannot turn off and the lack of color clarity in early levels.

The camera isn't automatic smooth, but controlling it with the dpad is pretty easy. Only up/down is tedious.

Lijik

AbsoluteZero said:
On this tangent, check out what I bought at my local Disney Store over the weekend

Oh man im so glad theres Oswald Merch outside of the parks now. Late December I went to my local disney store finding no Oswald merch and bemoaned that Disney didn't want my money.

markatisu

Posted this in the Other forum but its relevant to some here as well

Did anyone see that Ducktales is going to be a Boom series starting in May and written by Warren Spector. Guess he finally got his wish to work on Ducktales

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
markatisu said:
Posted this in the Other forum but its relevant to some here as well

Did anyone see that Ducktales is going to be a Boom series starting in May and written by Warren Spector. Guess he finally got his wish to work on Ducktales

a boom series? elaborate!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so, i know i'm way late to this, but i started playing it this morning and i like it a lot so far. it feels very n64 platformer-ish, which i don't view as a negative thing at all. it's just a design from a different eye, albeit with the added tweak of the paint/thinner mechanic.

but I'M STUCK. in the jungle boat ride, i jumped down to an area where i need four goblins to open a door for me. unfortunately before i jumped down here i only saved two, and i can't seem to get back to the earlier part of the level.

heeeelp

Effect

beelzebozo said:
so, i know i'm way late to this, but i started playing it this morning and i like it a lot so far. it feels very n64 platformer-ish, which i don't view as a negative thing at all. it's just a design from a different eye, albeit with the added tweak of the paint/thinner mechanic.

but I'M STUCK. in the jungle boat ride, i jumped down to an area where i need four goblins to open a door for me. unfortunately before i jumped down here i only saved two, and i can't seem to get back to the earlier part of the level.

heeeelp

I think you have to hit the turn handles (or whatever they're called) yourself at that point. I only ended up with three when I did that. I forgot where the last one was. That's the only stage that I managed to get a little lost. They just made that part easier I believe.

Finally started playing this myself. Been really enjoying it as well and really the camera hasn't been an issue for me. I'm so used to looking around in games I guess I haven't noticed any problems. I'm constantly moving it around. Habit I guess. I started playing it one Sunday and that entire session ended up with me in OsTown. Need to get back to to this weekend.

I sort of feel a bit sad/bad though when I encounter some of these characters that are forgotten. I do remember some of them, at least the cartoons they were in. I guess that might have been their intent to a degree. Though I feel better after painting the towns. I had forgotten how much I just enjoyed Disney content.

Malajax

I took a break from this game and got back into it recently. It's certainly not a bad game, but much of it feels like a chore. Got to this confusing puzzle that just makes me want to stop all together. Think I'll just take another break with it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Effect said:
I think you have to hit the turn handles (or whatever they're called) yourself at that point. I only ended up with three when I did that. I forgot where the last one was. That's the only stage that I managed to get a little lost. They just made that part easier I believe.

yes! took me two seconds to do after you said this. i am a dope.

Laekon

Hate to drag up an old thread but Amazon has this on sale and I'm thinking of getting it for a 13yr old kid. He is a gamer that likes all types of games and I'm always trying to find him interesting new games that other teens are into. Reviews are mixed on this game so I'm not sure if it is an enjoyable challenge.

Top Bottom