• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Magical World 2 |OT| Do you want to build a café? There's also ghosts to slay!

pariah164

It seems like this game is easier than the first one; ya'll nailing 100 stickers and I'm stuck at around 85 in the first one.

Velcro Fly

99 stickers now. Just need to beat one more world boss ghost for the sticker and I'm at 100.

If I've already cleared what I need for future stickers I'm assuming I unlock them automatically? I was very diligent with seeds and have grown like 70 things already.

If I've already cleared what I need for future stickers I'm assuming I unlock them automatically? I was very diligent with seeds and have grown like 70 things already.

Yep, both post game pages will reward all earned Stickers retroactively if you've already met the goals in the past.

Gone through 2/4 restocks today and of course no Popcorn buckets. I'm the kind of person who is unlucky and I get routinely screwed by RNG elements, so I'm not really surprised, just sad.

I never got 100 Stickers in the first one, I should boot it up and see why. I think it was because of the touchscreen based ballroom dancing.

pariah164

I'm torn between this and World of FF for my next game. All you guys are saying is making me very tempted to switch my purchase.

Linkura

Got 129 now. Right with ya, Teriyaki Blues, as the only one I need is the popcorn buckets. What a stupid sticker. Or maybe they didn't expect people to power through the entire rest of the game in a week like us, LOL.

I'm torn between this and World of FF for my next game. All you guys are saying are making me very tempted to switch my purchase.

If you liked the first DMW, you will like this for sure. At this point, no one knows how good World of FF is going to be. The WOFF demo is probably unrepresentative of the full game. I'd at least wait for reviews and impressions of the full game on that one.

pariah164

If you liked the first DMW, you will like this for sure. At this point, no one knows how good World of FF is going to be. The WOFF demo is probably unrepresentative of the full game. I'd at least wait for reviews and impressions of the full game on that one.
I loved the first DMW. It was and still is my jam; still trying to get 100 stickers in it. And yeah, the WoFF demo left me underwhelmed. Hm. Decisions need to be made.

So after yet another restock without a popcorn bucket showing, I popped the first game into the older 3DS and looked up what Stickers I'm missing in that game.

Secret: Clear a Ball with ★★★ Difficulty! - Killed that one on the third attempt without practicing on the lower level Balls.
Secret: Collect 200 types of trading cards! 16 remaining. - RNG based, I don't remember how often these card-giving NPCs reset. At noon and midnight?
Photos: Take a commemorative photo with Jerkules! - RNG? Or do I need to Cafe him?
Farming: Harvest a legendary vegetable that shines like a star! - I think I have one planted, not sure why I never cleared this one.

97/100, I guess I can try and finish it while I'm waiting for popcorn. On the bright side (?), I'm removing non-popcorn items from the Souvenir Cart's item pool by leaps and bounds.

The QOL improvements made in the second game are really great, by the way. Especially the way they divided the menus into various themes rather than making you select everything from a single list. And being able to harvest everything from a single tree at once is nice. Also, items/money don't vanish from the freaking ground while you're fighting stuff. And you don't have to fight two mega Boss ghosts in one dungeon. Way prefer the new Ball style. And so on...

Linkura

If you want to be cheap about the popcorn buckets, you can save your game before the item changeover times and reset until you get a popcorn bucket. I did that this morning and it took me about 5 tries before I got a popcorn bucket to show up.

If you want to be cheap about the popcorn buckets, you can save your game before the item changeover times and reset until you get a popcorn bucket. I did that this morning and it took me about 5 tries before I got a popcorn bucket to show up.

I'm going to have to say no to that one. Messing with resetting and/or the 3DS clock can trigger anti-cheating mechanisms in a number of games, one of which is the Pokémon Sun & Moon demo. I heard it can mess up shop stock in this game, so I really don't want to chance it even though there probably won't be new items until Christmas season.

I'm surprised Lilo and Stitch is in there. How is that world?

It is the introductory combat world? I don't know how to rate it. Compared to the first game, combat is smoother and slightly more varied in attack types, with smaller prize pools, making farming anything a lot less grindy. This comes at the expense of fewer enemy varieties, smaller dungeons and the complete absence of some very minor puzzles. I think they tried to make up for it with a bad mechanic, which are a variety of Challenge rooms in the dungeons, but it makes the game feel weird/inorganic in dungeons that are literally just Challenge gauntlets with a boss at the end. Overall, this is a way better game than DMW1, but the dungeons are just weird now. I like them better, except for the Challenge gauntlets. Being able to change wands on the fly without taking a penalty is slowly making those ones less of a hassle at least.

As for the exterior trappings, it is a very abbreviated version of Hawaii from the Lilo & Stitch movies. There's surfing and a massage. Not very large, not too many locations to sightsee in, but that's standard DMW fare. It is a much larger world than DMW1 and it feels better/more complete to me. Don't expect a massive story or anything. There's a lot of short bits of narrative and smaller stories, but it is mostly an excuse to bust ghosts in all combat worlds.

The costumes and magic wands you get for this world are super cute/awesome if you dig the Hawaiian and alien/technological looks present in L&S. There are also Hula dancing challenges in this world that provide a much needed respite from dungeon running. They are very chill in a good way.

Linkura

I'm going to have to say no to that one. Messing with resetting and/or the 3DS clock can trigger anti-cheating mechanisms in a number of games, one of which is the Pokémon Sun & Moon demo. I heard it can mess up shop stock in this game, so I really don't want to chance it even though there probably won't be new items until Christmas season.

I guess you're misunderstanding me. I didn't mess with the clock at all. I just saved before the actual time, not messing with the clock. So for example, you save at 11:30. Then you check at 12:00 what the stock is. If it's not what you want, reset. The stock will have changed without changing the time.

I guess you're misunderstanding me. I didn't mess with the clock at all. I just saved before the actual time, not messing with the clock. So for example, you save at 11:30. Then you check at 12:00 what the stock is. If it's not what you want, reset. The stock will have changed without changing the time.

I understood perfectly, I don't want to mess with resetting at all. On top of that, I'm surprised you got away with that setup. Autosave tends to kick in for me when I enter the Main Street area after a restock time hits, especially if there has been a long time since my last save.

ETA: To be more clear, I also consider resetting to circumvent the RNG to be "cheating". Just a self imposed restriction, nobody should feel bad for playing an offline, single player game in any way that brings them the most joy. Or helps them finish the game completely in whatever time they have to play.

Compsiox

Banned

It is the introductory combat world? I don't know how to rate it. Compared to the first game, combat is smoother and slightly more varied in attack types, with smaller prize pools, making farming anything a lot less grindy. This comes at the expense of fewer enemy varieties, smaller dungeons and the complete absence of some very minor puzzles. I think they tried to make up for it with a bad mechanic, which are a variety of Challenge rooms in the dungeons, but it makes the game feel weird/inorganic in dungeons that are literally just Challenge gauntlets with a boss at the end. Overall, this is a way better game than DMW1, but the dungeons are just weird now. I like them better, except for the Challenge gauntlets. Being able to change wands on the fly without taking a penalty is slowly making those ones less of a hassle at least.

As for the exterior trappings, it is a very abbreviated version of Hawaii from the Lilo & Stitch movies. There's surfing and a massage. Not very large, not too many locations to sightsee in, but that's standard DMW fare. It is a much larger world than DMW1 and it feels better/more complete to me. Don't expect a massive story or anything. There's a lot of short bits of narrative and smaller stories, but it is mostly an excuse to bust ghosts in all combat worlds.

The costumes and magic wands you get for this world are super cute/awesome if you dig the Hawaiian and alien/technological looks present in L&S. There are also Hula dancing challenges in this world that provide a much needed respite from dungeon running. They are very chill in a good way.
Sounds like it could be some fun. Thanks! I love Lilo and Stitch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do I have to do the dance thing during a cafe party to get credit? Also, when do you get the special frames and puzzle pieces during a cafe party?

Do I have to do the dance thing during a cafe party to get credit? Also, when do you get the special frames and puzzle pieces during a cafe party?
You don't have to do a Dance to get credit for having the party unless you're specifically on a quest or Sticker hunt that requires you to use the A Button "Pose Time" during the dance. There are at least two of those, one Sticker & one Cafe quest.

Must take a Photo during the Party from the red flying camera to get puzzle frames (you can also get frames if a character asks you to take a photo as a Favor but that's exceedingly rare in my experience). There aren't that many frames, but you can't get puzzle pieces during a party normally. Here's where things get complicated-ish.

Until you "invite" the extra Disney characters to Castleton by throwing them a Party, they aren't in the rotation of characters that can show up randomly when things reset every six hours. That's one of the two major ways of getting puzzle pieces to go in those frames. The other one is by trading stones from mining to the fortune teller. So if you are specifically missing one puzzle piece from a Hercules puzzle, you could either invite Herc into your Cafe (which you need to do anyway to get the frame for his puzzle) and he'll show up the next time there's a six-hour reset or you could gamble with Twinkle Stones. The rarer the stone used, the more specific the piece you gain will be.

Before you start hunting anything in this game, take a look at the Collection option in the main menu, as it often has helpful hints on getting everything. I already filled out my dream book 100% and have an over 80% complete overall Collection thanks to the very selective targeting provided by the game itself.

Linkura

How's your popcorn bucket quest going?

I cheesed 2 of the popcorn buckets by resetting, but of course it looks like I didn't need to do that after all, as I'm getting them up the wazoo now. Isn't that how it always works?

Interestingly, my collection is only at 63.43% and I have 4 dreams missing despite the same number of stickers. I could easily get the dreams if I wanted to but I'm lazy. I probably will eventually. 2 of the 4 puzzles are complete but I'm missing the frames; the other 2 are missing pieces.

How's your popcorn bucket quest going?

5/7. It looks like I was right about removing other items from the potential pool or I just got lucky because I got two in a row today. One at 6am and another at Noon. Other people have already gotten this Sticker, so that gives me hope that I'll be done soon.

Also got lucky with Parties over the weekend, had Donald Duck as my hot theme two days running. I don't even care about money anymore, so I use the cheapest, easiest food items to fill the gauge up and then flip it and throw a missing Party on my list. Today is Western which is pretty blah with at least one rare/bothersome ingredient per dish, so I just checked that food & those Parties off my list and put the Cafe in idle mode for today.

Having Cowboy versions of the Big Three chilling in town is pretty cool tho. One of my favorite Themes from the first game, so I was happy to see it back.

Rainbow Honey might destroy me. I'm trying to put that stuff off until it is the only thing remaining and building what little stockpile I can in the meantime. They really messed up with having certain things only come from Favors and seemingly being ~10% chance to get. Rainbow Honey came from the gathering spots in the first game, guys. This is a definite step back.

Not to mention having certain Seeds locked behind 5+ minute cutscenes. If there is a next game, they should put in a 100-Sticker Seed Machine that gives you two seeds per one crop or something (which would at least be consistent with current Favors), because farming this stuff in Snow White & Hundred Acres is killing more brain cells than I have to spare. If 100 Stickers is too easy or cheap, make it so you have to 100% the Seed Collection (which requires growing and harvesting all seeds) or some other not totally unreasonable requirement. The Ballroom Cloth is problematic as well. It might be a different story if they replaced the old prizes with more cloth once you've already won on the highest rank, but of course they didn't.

I don't even want to talk about the 20+ times I Hula danced and did "Thisle Do" today for seeds. Spending that kind of time severely grinding for minimal prizes makes me feel like they didn't take QOL improvements as far as they could have.

Linkura

Oh yeah, getting seeds that you can only get from Pooh quests sucks terribly. Some of them are used in quite a number of recipes too. And you can't skip the cutscenes. Ugh. Not gonna miss that.

I have had the 130 stickers since yesterday, though even if I hadn't resetting, I probably would have gotten it today anyway. Was kind of a waste since now they're coming up without resetting. Oh well.

Any tricks to getting the five perfect scores at rainbow mines? Having trouble even getting the button inputs to register that quick lol

Wait for a Level 2/Level 3 Mining Charm from Miss Teri, practice in the meantime, and maybe clean your system if the inputs are that sticky.

Five is nothing, by the way. One of the post game Stickers requires you to Perfect all 10.

I am the least coordinated gamer, so I thought that one would be very hard. It was, but not impossible. Just devote a little time to it each day and you'll get it. It doesn't help that the framerate can randomly drop in this section, learning how to adjust for that was probably one of the harder parts of getting it done.

m.i.s.

Banned
Eh, just not feeling it with this game.

It's crashed three times already in the first five hours or so [usually when changing costumes prior to taking a photo].

On cosmos black 3DS [don't know about New 3DS], there's at least two loading points within the central hub area itself ["Castleton"] and it gets pretty wearing after traversing the world to-and-fro. Once, on entering yours and Disney characters house area and again on the promenade where the boutique, store, furniture stores are located. I find it really jarring. On the previous version, loading only took place when you entered the themed worlds and, thus, just felt more natural because it was a transition from one world to the next.

There's this pointless dream world area where not much takes place and an even more pointless puzzle collection aspect. And collecting stickers for further 50, 75 and 100 Ace ensembles. Yikes.

On the plus side, the dancing controls are vastly improved.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've had way too many crashes in this game. It's the ONLY 3DS game I've ever played like this. Had a new one this morning where the game just froze and forced me to shut down my 3DS entirely.

How is this a thing?

Yeah, the crashing is a major bummer. I've had two now. I've been saving more frequently to keep from losing too much if it crashes again.

It certainly isn't the 3DS game that's crashed the most for me, Story of Seasons holds that dubious honor, although I've had sporadic issues with other games as well. This one does that thing where it freezes your entire system and you have to hard reboot, at least SoS and other games had the courtesy to go back to the Home screen with a proper error message.

I hope they'll consider patching it up, since checking back on the first game revealed that they are still maintaining all the online services for that game.

Linkura

I didn't have any crashes at all. I guess I'm just extremely lucky. The only weird thing I had happen is I was on the east side of the shop area and it glitched out and transported me to the middle area all of a sudden. The game was fine after that. Just a strange glitch.

Linkura

Reminder: Christmas items start appearing in game today! And Castleton looks awesome now with all the Christmas stuff. Just turned on the game for the first time in several days for it.

My fiancé wants this game for Christmas, and she saw the special Frozen items. I see that Amazon advertises that they're still giving away those codes, but I'd like to wait and see if there's a black friday deal on the game anywhere. Are those Frozen outfits only obtainable with that code?

My fiancé wants this game for Christmas, and she saw the special Frozen items. I see that Amazon advertises that they're still giving away those codes, but I'd like to wait and see if there's a black friday deal on the game anywhere. Are those Frozen outfits only obtainable with that code?
Yes, Frozen outfits are only obtainable with that code.

In Japan, they were available via a QR code, however QR and AR codes are region locked in this game, and they haven't said anything about making these outfits available by any other means in the future.

pariah164

KtYL2qq.jpg
We in. Let's kick this pig.

Sorry for the double but. Where is the Ribbon Flower?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/170146-disney-magical-world-2/faqs/74002#section6

You can grow this in Rabbit's Garden if you have the seed. You can also sometimes get it as a special Minnie Mouse, Peter Pan (for Tinker Bell), Jasmine (Aladdin), or Rapunzel (Tangled) Favor Reward from flower-picking for White Daisy and/or Ribbon Flower. You can also sometimes get it from Episode #6 of the Castle Vaults as an "Item You May Find," not as an "Item You Will Find."

Steiner

Banned
Hope no one minds my reviving this thread, but I wanted to check in and ask a few of you whether or not this game has stood the test of time.

It's been on my wishlist for months, and while I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes saying "Just buy the damn game and try it," my budget is actually tight enough that I have to weigh these decisions really heavily.

Basically I want to know - do you still enjoy this game months later? Do you still pick it up and play? If a friend had 40 bucks to blow and was thinking about picking up the game, would you recommend it without hesitation?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hope no one minds my reviving this thread, but I wanted to check in and ask a few of you whether or not this game has stood the test of time.

It's been on my wishlist for months, and while I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes saying "Just buy the damn game and try it," my budget is actually tight enough that I have to weigh these decisions really heavily.

Basically I want to know - do you still enjoy this game months later? Do you still pick it up and play? If a friend had 40 bucks to blow and was thinking about picking up the game, would you recommend it without hesitation?

The game was a lot of fun while I was playing it. However, I had numerous complete crashes where I lost a good bit of progress due to not saving every few minutes. The game also suffered from pretty dramatic slowdown and grossly low framerate.

That being said, if they patched it at any point to fix those issues, I'd say sure - game is a great little diversion. But if a patch doesn't exist (I haven't checked), I'd probably say take a soft pass. Grab it for $15-20 if you can, but don't pay $40.

Steiner

Banned
The game was a lot of fun while I was playing it. However, I had numerous complete crashes where I lost a good bit of progress due to not saving every few minutes. The game also suffered from pretty dramatic slowdown and grossly low framerate.

That being said, if they patched it at any point to fix those issues, I'd say sure - game is a great little diversion. But if a patch doesn't exist (I haven't checked), I'd probably say take a soft pass. Grab it for $15-20 if you can, but don't pay $40.

This is exactly what I thought. Gameplay videos and that sluggish frame rate were really holding me back. I guess I'll hold off until I see a physical copy in my local used book store or something.

Top Bottom