• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney monetizes Star Wars fan film.

lifa-cobex

In December the Star Wars Theory channel released an amazingly well made Short about Darth Vader...

Originally he asked Lucasfilm if he could crowd fund, monetize it or ask donations in some form of payback. They said nope.
The Youtuber then decided to do it from his own pocket as he clearly has a passion for Star Wars and more notably, he has the skills to do it.

Disney has now claimed the video by monetizing it themselves because apparently a piece of music he uses is a rendition or the imperial march.
More info here....

For years I've been a fan of Disney. Now, I see they are just out for the money and don't give a damn about the fandom for claiming something that was under agreement by Lucasfilm and myself to not be monetized in the first place. Also, for allowing Warner Chappell, to do what they do. Disney is the one in control of them, and if they wish, they can right their wrongs. I will continue to be a positive force in the Star Wars community, as I don't feel Disney is Star Wars. I feel George Lucas is Star Wars, and my goal is to help spread his legacy with integrity on this channel as a medium for all those who enjoy my content. Thank you, and may the force be with you.

Let the hate flow through you....

****************************************************************************************update*****************************************************************************

As stated before Disney (Warner Chappell ) monetized his video because one of the tracks sounds like the imperial march sound track.
Warner Chappell has responded by saying that if he appeals then they will strike his channel and delete the video.

More info in the vid......

Personally I think he should upload his fan films to another video site at this point. He's stated it's not about the money and he's doing it for the love of the franchise.
He could keep his current channel and just advertise it through his general lore vids.

Let me state again. He had permission to make this under the rules that he makes no money or takes any donations towards producing the fan flick. Warner Chappell has manually claimed his vid because a piece of music he helped create sounds like a rendition of the imperial march.
I believe the only reason they have claimed his vid (through underhanded means) is because the fan film is actually well made.

***************************************************************************************update******************************************************************************

Lucasfilm has stepped in and told them to remove the claim.......

Balance is restored.

Last edited:

pel1300

Here they are taking someone else's hard labor work and using it to their advantage!

This goes against the message in The Last Jedi about anti-capitalism and the rich taking advantage of slave labor!

lock2k

Banned
599.jpg

The thing I hope comes out of all this is that enough attention is turned towards the creator and he will land some boss job in the movie industry. Considering that episode 1 has over 6mil views, i hope he gets his break.

Dontero

Banned
I mean clearly they said to him no.
He operated on their IP and he wanted to earn some $ on it.

What did he expect ?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Here they are taking someone else's hard labor work and using it to their advantage!

This goes against the message in The Last Jedi about anti-capitalism and the rich taking advantage of slave labor!
But it does seem to go along perfectly with The Last Jedi's message that Star Wars doesn't belong to the fans, it belongs to the megaconglomerate that bought it.
Nothing like buying up the world's most popular franchise and ripping it up in front of its fans, amirite

lifa-cobex

What did he expect ?

He wasn't making any money of it nor was he aloud to take any donations towards creating it.
This was an agreement from him and Lucasfilm. He had permission to make this.
This was all from his back pocket.

Quote under his vid....
For years I've been a fan of Disney. Now, I see they are just out for the money and don't give a damn about the fandom for claiming something that was under agreement by Lucasfilm and myself to not be monetized in the first place. Also, for allowing Warner Chappell, to do what they do. Disney is the one in control of them, and if they wish, they can right their wrongs. I will continue to be a positive force in the Star Wars community, as I don't feel Disney is Star Wars. I feel George Lucas is Star Wars, and my goal is to help spread his legacy with integrity on this channel as a medium for all those who enjoy my content. Thank you, and may the force be with you.

I guess the rub is that George Lucas was very open to fan made things by expanding the universe.

Disney could have said "no" or "yes but we're going to claim for revenue purposes" which i'm guessing was never stipulated.
Instead they have just capitalized of someone else's work.

Last edited:

Alfen Dave

What did he expect ?

After the utter trash The Last Jedi was, they should be happy some of the fans of the license are STILL making free advertisement and tribute to the franchise.

This reminds me when Capcom tried to shut down Artists at convention who made and sold street fighters fan arts...Best way to shoot yourself in the foot. Fan and artists like this literally PROMOTE your product and endorses them, adding even more interesting twists to the lore.

This is how a fan base stays alive and healthy. Remember how awesome that fan anime Tie Fighter was?

Fuck Disney seriously.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
A giant multi billion dollar company slamming its giant corporate cock on the little people, all for the sake of a few bucks. Way to go Disney, you are such an inspiration for all of us, for all the future filmmakers and fans out there, who only wants to contribute to the franchise in positive and meaningful ways, instead of fucking it up the ass like you do.

Atrus

Gold Member
"For years I've been a fan of Disney. Now, I see they are just out for the money"

*rubs eyes*

Is Disney not synonymous with corporate greed in this timeline?

pel1300

After Episode IX, I'm out. And the only reason I'm in for Ep IX is because I feel that JJ Abrams wants to give the fans something to enjoy. He wants to please fans. Rian Johnson doesn't seem to want to please the majority. He is simple minded and thinks there are only two options: 1) try to please everyone and fail or 2) make your own weird thing and please hopefully half of the audience.

He is too tone deaf to realize that there is a middle ground of making a movie for broad appeal. Of course a well made blockbuster won't please everyone. NEver has.. Never will. But I doubt the 2 billion dollars that Infinity War gives a shit about the ones who didn't like it.

He wanted to give us some weird film hailed as high level art...and he failed at that.

After IX,...unless Lucasfilm hires someone who understands Star Wars as a creative head....I'm out. Kevin Feige isn't available, but maybe the Russo brothers could be the ones mapping out a vision for future SW. They are gonna take a break from the MCU after all. They have plenty of time to work on Star Wars.

Last edited:

pel1300

"For years I've been a fan of Disney. Now, I see they are just out for the money"

*rubs eyes*

Is Disney not synonymous with corporate greed in this timeline?
They are but I have defended them because I felt like they did a good job in being hands off with the MCU.

In light of the James Gunn firing and the marketing for Captain Marvel...I'm more skeptical now.

Nymphae

Banned
He wants to please fans. Rian Johnson doesn't seem to want to please the majority.

I still can not get over how he thought what he was doing with Luke was going to fly, with anyone. He valued subversion of any expectation above all else. The only one of the three main cast who is still alive and has tons of reverence and enthusiasm for his role, who nearly every Star Wars fan likes and waited decades to see on screen in a badass role again, who the entire first film in the new trilogy was about finding...you just say fuck that guy?

Like watch Hamill interviews on this subject on Youtube. It's seriously depressing, Hamill and Luke deserved so much better than this. RJ completely took a shit all over the last chance people would have to see the OG characters shine again.

Last edited:
marketing for Captain Marvel...I'm more skeptical now.

Do you mind if I ask what has bothered you about this?

I feel like it’s been tame from any “SJW propaganda,” I mean the character is female....just no way around that.

Assuming that’s the concern, of course. Sorry if I’m way off

pel1300

I still can not get over how he thought what he was doing with Luke was going to fly, with anyone. He valued subversion of any expectation above all else. The only one of the three main cast who is still alive and has tons of reverence and enthusiasm for his role, who nearly every Star Wars fan likes and waited decades to see on screen in a badass role again, who the entire first film in the new trilogy was about finding...you just say fuck that guy?

Like watch Hamill interviews on this subject on Youtube. It's seriously depressing, Hamill and Luke deserved so much better than this. RJ completely took a shit all over the last chance people would have to see the OG characters shine again.
Yes. And what's more annoying are the apologists who cling to Mark's damage control tweets saying "I regret saying what I did" and "I have come to appreciate what Rian did, he made a GREAT film and he was the perfect man for the job". Then months later after the bluray/dvd promoting campaign is over...he is back at it again bashing his characterization in TLJ. He even responds to a fan asking him "I just don't understand how Luke would give up like that. Please help me understand" with "When I understand, I'll let you know"....I mean really...these SW apologists are hopeless if they can't see that Mark clearly doesn't like the film.

Rian Johnson is such an idiot. He has no concept of a middle ground between god tier OP Luke from the EU and the pitiful Luke he wrote. And his apologists are the same. Every defense of this film boils down to accusations that detractors wanted the literal opposite of what we got.

pel1300

Do you mind if I ask what has bothered you about this?

I feel like it’s been tame from any “SJW propaganda,” I mean the character is female....just no way around that.

Assuming that’s the concern, of course. Sorry if I’m way off
EW's cover "The Future is female". In light of the backlash towards "The Force is female" t-shirts, they shoulda known better.

Brie Larson's comments on social media. Saying "I don't need the opinions of white men"

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
He even responds to a fan asking him "I just don't understand how Luke would give up like that. Please help me understand" with "When I understand, I'll let you know"....I mean really...these SW apologists are hopeless if they can't see that Mark clearly doesn't like the film.

I like the interview where he says

"I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he's 'Jake Skywalker,' he's not my Luke Skywalker. But I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well. Listen, I still haven't accepted it completely, but, it's only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don't get upset. I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man they needed for this job."

lol. Honestly I don't get why he gives RJ any praise at all. He so clearly fundamentally disagrees with how he views the character. I think Hamill is ultimately just a people pleaser at heart, and doesn't want to stir shit up, but TLJ made it really really fucking hard for him.

EW's cover "The Future is female". In light of the backlash towards "The Force is female" t-shirts, they shoulda known better.

Brie Larson's comments on social media. Saying "I don't need the opinions of white men"

I didn’t know Brie said that, I’ll have to look up that conversation/thread.

Is the EW the cover the fault of the studio/filmmakers?

Not trying to pick a fight here, sincerely

pel1300

I like the interview where he says

lol. Honestly I don't get why he gives RJ any praise at all. He so clearly fundamentally disagrees with how he views the character. I think Hamill is ultimately just a people pleaser at heart, and doesn't want to stir shit up, but TLJ made it really really fucking hard for him.
Yes. And it gave him perspective. He was pissed off at angry fans shitting on the prequels saying "George raped my childhood".....but last year he joked "We love ruining peoples' childhoods".

I think now he understands what it feels like to be a hardcore fan being disappointed after what roundhead Rian did.

pel1300

I didn’t know Brie said that, I’ll have to look up that conversation/thread.

Is the EW the cover the fault of the studio/filmmakers?

Not trying to pick a fight here, sincerely
I don't know for sure...but EW has historically been to Disney what MSNBC is to liberals or what Fox News is to conservatives.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i do feel for the guy, but i also don't. IP law is pretty clear on these things.

maybe SW fans should take their inspiration and make something new with it. leave the endless rehashes to the company that has methodically changed copyright laws while hoarding up IPs to guarantee they monopolize the pop fantasy landscape.

Lucas used material from his youth as well to make SW in the first place, but there is a difference between just reusing an old idea and using it as a jumping off point. i fear too many people don't know the difference anymore, which is why we get things like Ready Player One. maybe postmodernism and deconstructionism just has everyone too far up their own asses to come up with anything new. tbh "everything has already been done" is a huge cop-out that has never been true. it just means you are too lazy to come up with something new.

watch Hamill interviews on this subject on Youtube. It's seriously depressing

all the old actors signed on to do the ST before Lucas sold it to Disney. they had signed on in good faith, then the sale was made, and the new directors came in, and they were stuck having said 'yes'. they are doing their job, showing up to work, punching in the clock, but you can easily tell from Hamill's performance that it may as well be a convention skit. a damn shame the actors didn't get to work together again.

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
I have made a promise to myself to never watch a single Disney film in the cinema. They do not deserve my money anymore.

pel1300

I think this was a scheme from the beginning that Disney/Lucasfilm started...they asked Warner Chappell to make the claim behind doors...then they saw it get traction on youtube...then they had them take it down. It was all part of the plan to win SW fans back.

Just kidding. Good job Lucasfilm/Disney for taking action. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Looks like they're teaching the lesson "stop being a Star Wars fan".
I feel like anybody who hasn't learned this lesson yet probably takes the short bus to school. In a world where cynical cash grabs are commonplace, what Disney has done to Star Wars is worse than I could've ever imagined. If you told me 5 years ago that Star Wars would be dead to me within 5 years, I would've laughed at you while pulling up my Empire Strikes Back sheets and snuggling with my Yoda doll.

Top Bottom