• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney moves Avatar sequels, Announces new Star Wars films

Mista

Banned
star-wars.jpg

James Cameron’s long-awaited and oft-delayed follow-up to “Avatar” has been pushed back another year. “Avatar 2” will hit theaters on Dec. 17, 2021 instead of Dec. 18, 2020 as originally planned. Its move means that “Avatar 3” will open on Dec. 22, 2023 as opposed to Dec. 17, 2021 while “Avatar 4” will bow on Dec. 19, 2025 instead of Dec. 20, 2024. The news comes as part of a larger shift in release dates unveiled by Walt Disney Studios. The company is shifting around the debuts of various films it inherited after buying the bulk of 21st Century Fox’s film and television assets in a $71.3 billion mega-merger.

As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced that three new untitled Star Wars films will start hitting theaters in 2022. There will be two other follow-ups in 2024 and 2026.

MoFuzz

James Cameron’s long-awaited and oft-delayed follow-up to “Avatar” has been pushed back another year. “Avatar 2” will hit theaters on Dec. 17, 2021 instead of Dec. 18, 2020 as originally planned. Its move means that “Avatar 3” will open on Dec. 22, 2023 as opposed to Dec. 17, 2021 while “Avatar 4” will bow on Dec. 19, 2025 instead of Dec. 20, 2024. The news comes as part of a larger shift in release dates unveiled by Walt Disney Studios. The company is shifting around the debuts of various films it inherited after buying the bulk of 21st Century Fox’s film and television assets in a $71.3 billion mega-merger.

As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced that three new untitled Star Wars films will start hitting theaters in 2022. There will be two other follow-ups in 2024 and 2026.
So much for the supposed 'hiatus' for Star Wars films then? After Bob Iger specifically mentioned that they will take a pause to reflect and reset, they are waiting a whopping three years?

*Gasp!* Oh noes, whatever will we do without shitty Star Wars movies for three entire years?!?!

Last edited:
So much for the supposed 'hiatus' for Star Wars films then? After Bob Iger specifically mentioned that they will take a pause to reflect and reset, they are waiting a whopping three years?

*Gasp!* Oh noes, whatever will we do without shitty Star Wars movies for three entire years?!?!

It’s too bad as I really think a hiatus would have helped. Sometimes a little radio silence goes a long way

NickFire

They should just close the coffin lid on Avatar. Seriously, at this point, I'm guessing there's less than a 100 people who remember what happened in the first one. All I remember is that every year they delay the sequel.

As for SW, please, please, please let there be 3 movies coming focused on Vader, all focused on the years in between episodes 3 and 4.

But I thought they said the star wars movies were going to go on a hiatus. Like Avatar get its shrine or at least do another tron movie to fill the void.

Avatar is taking so long they can almost launch it as a fresh new IP again. =P

I'm really interested to see what happens with those. If 2 bombs or only does decent, they're gonna eat super shit on all those additional sequels.

Stuart360

Didnt Disney just say the other week that they were putting SW on hold after the next film?, not that i believed it anyway.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
"Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow" - Bowie 1971
Now, how many of you here still fuel Disney?

Stuart360

Avatar is taking so long they can almost launch it as a fresh new IP again. =P

I'm really interested to see what happens with those. If 2 bombs or only does decent, they're gonna eat super shit on all those additional sequels.
The thing with the AVATAR sequels is that the first film made so much money that even if the sequel only made half of the first film (and it wont drop that much), you would still be talking 1.4bil worldwide. I mean the sequel could make a bllion in China alone.

llien

Loved Avatar. Perhaps because Cameron is a physicist and keeps minimum of "magic" nonsense.

So much for the supposed 'hiatus' for Star Wars films then?
Perhaps because of that Marvel movie, that still got to about 1 billion despite "white heterosexual male" bashing by the poker face actress.

Last edited:

MoFuzz

Loved Avatar. Perhaps because Cameron is a physicist and keeps minimum of "magic" nonsense.

Perhaps because of that Marvel movie, that still got to about 1 billion despite "white heterosexual male" bashing by the poker face actress.
I don't know about the rest of you, but personally, I can't wait to see Captain Shoehorn 2: The Patriarchy Falls, starring Cheese Larson.

Preview showings will be restricted to disabled, non-binary, people of colour and wahmen only. After all, reviews are irrelevant. All that matters is that she's stunning and brave :messenger_smiling_hearts:.

JimiNutz

Banned
I tried to rewatch Avatar recently.
Pandora is a nicely designed world and I'm sure Avatar 2 will be visually stunning but the rest of the film is incredibly cheesy, predictable and mostly poor acted.

Unless he's got some crazy new visual technology to showcase and carry the movie like last time, then these sequels are going to need to be dramatically better movies.

Silent Duck

I don't see how they are going to make 3 more movies off of the sci-fi reboot of Dances With Wolves.
There are plenty of other stories they can steal from. “The Last Samurai with smurfs”, “Braveheart with smurfs”, “Unforgiven with smurfs”, “Tombstone with smurfs”... see? Endless ideas.

As Hollywood has proven over and over.... there’s money in unoriginality.
giphy.gif

Fbh

I'm almost kinda curious to see what they will do with Avatar.
I can see a sequel where it's basically just "humans are back and angrier than ever"..... but a third and fourth movie?

RIP Star Wars though. In just 3 years they completely killed my interest for the franchise and it seems like the milking will ony continue

They should just close the coffin lid on Avatar. Seriously, at this point, I'm guessing there's less than a 100 people who remember what happened in the first one. All I remember is that every year they delay the sequel.

The good thing with Avatar is that the plot was so basic you don't have to remember much:

White people = Bad
Blue people and Nature = good

There you go, all you needed to know about Avatar 1

Xiaoki

Should show the picture with Disney's entire slate up to 2024.

The best part for me is that New Mutants got pushed back another year. If it requires any more reshoots then they will need to use de-aging CGI on the actors.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I remeber seeing Avatar in Imax 3D and I enjoyed the visuals more than the movie that wasnt bad, just incredibly forgettable. Since it left the theatre and headlines Ive never seen or heard of it anywhere with the exception of these rumored sequels. If they didnt mention it I think the world would collectively forget it ever existed.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I NEED a Ewan Obiwan film... Need it.

I actually really liked Solo and hated it getting slagged off so much, but Ewan was born to do this one last time. Let’s have it.

Whitesnake

Banned
0-CEDF0-BB-65-FD-4-B4-C-98-A2-82-C9780-C9439.jpg

7-B7-E2-F33-13-D5-4-E1-E-8-E8-D-31-EB0-B0-BE4-C8.jpg

This list makes me want to put a bullet in my head.

Remember that South Park skit where Indiana Jones and the Stromtroopers get raped by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas? Replace Spielberg and Lucas with Mickey and it’s accurate now.

This is dystopian. Why must they take all that is good and grind it to dust?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I tried to rewatch Avatar recently.
Pandora is a nicely designed world and I'm sure Avatar 2 will be visually stunning but the rest of the film is incredibly cheesy, predictable and mostly poor acted.

Unless he's got some crazy new visual technology to showcase and carry the movie like last time, then these sequels are going to need to be dramatically better movies.

Does it still hold up graphically? I mean now that basically all our movies are giant CGI fests with CGI worlds and characters how does it compare?

Doom85

Remember that South Park skit where Indiana Jones and the Stromtroopers get raped by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas? Replace Spielberg and Lucas with Mickey and it’s accurate now.

I'm not actually sure what the issue is here. First of all, a good deal of those are FOX, not Disney (yeah, I know the merger, but FOX likely had all of these planned before that was finalized). Secondly, are we giving Disney grief for animated films, yeah decades of animated films they've done but now it's an issue? So what's left, Avatar films? Oh noes, they're ruining the "reputation" of the film that most go back to and say, "huh, it's okay but not as great as I remembered." And then Marvel films, well sorry they're taking a universe with so much potential and are continuing to explore it.

Yeah, 2021 and 2022 seem packed but given they're all untitled I'm highly skeptical some of those will make they're release dates. And I'm not blindly anti-remake, yes some are unnecessary, but it's not like Disney's animated line-up was always a win. Jungle Book and Cinderella were improvements over the originals to me as I thought the animated versions were just okay, Beauty and the Beast not so much. Heck, if one of those is Black Cauldron (an animated film that had potential but fumbled way too much) I'm totally down for that.

Honestly, the one that makes me cringe the most on this list is Bob's Burgers. I'm sorry, I like Bob and Tina of the family but the other 3 I find absolutely annoying. Yet my best friend and his girlfriend are obsessed with the show, they rewatch it constantly, and sometimes will even play the OST if they're driving us somewhere (I loved most of the Simpsons' songs because they actually sang well. The BB songs make my head hurt). I was hoping the show would wrap up soon so maybe they could move on already, but geezus a movie now, save me!

sol_bad

I'm done with superhero movies, I'm done with Star Wars, I'm done with all this milking already.

Can I suggest you ignore Disney then and concentrate on other films that are coming out.
Maybe you could create a thread about lesser known films and let people know about them.
;)

Wasn't Cameron working on glassesless D?

Last edited:
Good gravy! They're only waiting THREE years before starting a new TRILOGY? That's nuts, I would have thought they'd wait at least 5 years, if not longer.

Why do they want to oversaturate it?

Trogdor1123

Disagree, lots of things that are exciting there

Atrus

Gold Member
After some reading up on this I find that Marvel is making a Shang-Chi movie for Phase 4? Why? Is this some sort of personal challenge on how many unknown characters they can make into blockbusters?

sol_bad

After some reading up on this I find that Marvel is making a Shang-Chi movie for Phase 4? Why? Is this some sort of personal challenge on how many unknown characters they can make into blockbusters?

If they hire a kick ass Hong Kong or Japanese based director that is great at action choreography, I'm totally all for it.
I know absolutely nothing about Shang Chi apart from him being in Hickman's run of Avengers. I'm curious to know more about him.

JimiNutz

Banned
Wasn't Cameron working on glassesless D?

I believe he was although last I read the tech wouldn't be ready in time for release so not sure if that's still the case.

Does it still hold up graphically? I mean now that basically all our movies are giant CGI fests with CGI worlds and characters how does it compare?

It doesn't look bad considering its age but obviously it doesn't look anywhere near as impressive as it did 10 years ago.

Last edited:

plasmasd

If D&D are trying to subvert expectations and Rian is trying to subvert expectations, does this mean they will cancel each other out? Work something like wave interference?

Top Bottom