• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Tells Movie Theaters It's Over - Mulan Going to Disney+ For $30 in the US

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Usually go to the theaters with my bro sometimes and we could split that cost for a movie. I'd probably be down to do it for Tenet.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
They're likely designing the $30 price around families watching the movies.
Yeah, they want to pull off a “Trolls 2”, but I am secretly hoping it fails. It has the potential of setting the price for new releases going forward.

Azurro

Banned
Just announced on the Disney Earnings Call.

Mulan hits Disney+ in the US on September 4th for $29.99 - it's like the UFC PPVs on ESPN+ that are a $60 in-app purchase.

They just told movie theaters to go home and die.

Not exactly, they need some revenue as they are bleeding at the moment and digital is an easy answer for COVID times. I'm sure once things die down completely, they'll go back to releasing stuff in the movie theatres.

why wouldnt a family do it?

It costs me 35$cad for me and my 2 kids for the entrance. Throw some popcorn and drinks for the kids and it often costs me 50-60$cad
I wouldn’t spend $30 to rent a movie in my home. I don’t have a giant screen and tremendous speakers. Part of the theater is the experience, that’s where the extra cost comes from. Disney isn’t providing anything extra, they’re just letting you pay more to watch it early.

You’re comparing apples to oranges.

It's Jeff

Banned
I wouldn't have seen this movie on an early bird matinee with a coupon. Are we really supposed to feel sorry for Disney? Churning out remakes of their own movies that are barely 20 years old?

Ain't nobody got time for this Return of Jafar caliber junk.

Malakhov

Banned
I wouldn’t spend $30 to rent a movie in my home. I don’t have a giant screen and tremendous speakers. Part of the theater is the experience, that’s where the extra cost comes from. Disney isn’t providing anything extra, they’re just letting you pay more to watch it early.

You’re comparing apples to oranges.
The theater experience? You mean a dirty theater room with kids screaming and people talking and using their phones during the movies?

Yeah, I love paying extra for that!

Ill gladly spend 30$ to watch it at home, sitting in my comfortable and clean couch with my 2 kids while we can drink and eat whatever we want to. I even prefer the drivein theaters now, I just go to theaters for big releases alone (mcu, star wars) so I cant get spoiled.

So for me it's apples with apples, not oranges.

sol_bad

FUCK
Please come out at the cinemas in Australia.
PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE.

This sucks donkey dick!

*EDIT*
God damn it, the movie isn't on the Event Cinemas or Hoyts Cinemas website,
Fuck Disney in the arse.

Last edited:
The theater experience? You mean a dirty theater room with kids screaming and people talking and using their phones during the movies?

Yeah, I love paying extra for that!

Ill gladly spend 30$ to watch it at home, sitting in my comfortable and clean couch with my 2 kids while we can drink and eat whatever we want to. I even prefer the drivein theaters now, I just go to theaters for big releases alone (mcu, star wars) so I cant get spoiled.

So for me it's apples with apples, not oranges.
I emphatically disagree, but I’m glad you have this option. Enjoy the movie and the family movie night!

RPS37

The theaters in my town were generally clean and had reserved seating in comfy reclining seats and stuff.

Malakhov

Banned
The theaters in my town were generally clean and had reserved seating in comfy reclining seats and stuff.
I went to theaters in Florida and compared to what we have here it's like night and day.

Big individual chairs, food brought to you etc...

Our theaters are stuck in the 90s here

sol_bad

All these people saying they won't pay $30 and will pirate the film instead.
Let's not kid ourselves, you were never going to see it at the movies to begin with or pay for a blu ray.
Stop trying to justify your shitty actions.

brap

Banned
All these people saying they won't pay $30 and will pirate the film instead.
Let's not kid ourselves, you were never going to see it at the movies to begin with or pay for a blu ray.
Stop trying to justify your shitty actions.
Makes sense. A real disney fan would pay any amount to watch the live action remake of mulan.

20cent

Banned
Torrenters and streamers are laughing right now, though

You know, even though some of you probably think screw Disney they're a rich corporation, they were hit very badly by covid.

Their parks didnt bring any revenue, they spent a fortune on a bunch of movies and now they are just trying to recoup some of that loss. They basicly lost everything on onward early this year, they have to find a way to get back up

Not sure about how it works anywhere else, but where I live, the Disney park gets any loss from earning previsions covered by government every year... Probably similar case with the park in France.

Malakhov

Banned
Not sure about how it works anywhere else, but where I live, the Disney park gets any loss from earning previsions covered by government every year... Probably similar case with the park in France.
Well seeing as they lost 5 billions so far due to the pandemic i doubt they get much help. Their biggest revenues are from the parks.

sol_bad

U really wanna see Mulan in theatres that badly ?

I watch anything and everything I can at the cinemas. I get equally annoyed when an A23 film doesn't get a theatrical release locally too.

Makes sense. A real disney fan would pay any amount to watch the live action remake of mulan.

It's not about paying a high price. I don't like spending $30aud on a blu ray and I don't want to spend $30aud+ on a rental but I'm not going to go out of my way to pirate the film just because. I'll happily wait it out until a blu ray release hits a lower price at retail or until the film is a part of standard Disney+.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I watch anything and everything I can at the cinemas. I get equally annoyed when an A23 film doesn't get a theatrical release locally too.

It's not about paying a high price. I don't like spending $30aud on a blu ray and I don't want to spend $30aud+ on a rental but I'm not going to go out of my way to pirate the film just because. I'll happily wait it out until a blu ray release hits a lower price at retail or until the film is a part of standard Disney+.

What's ur annual theatre going budget ??

mcjmetroid

How is Disney plus doing anyway? I got a deal on it for the year but.. ya it's really really bad.

Netflix release new movies day and date on the service

If Disney aren't taking it seriously it'll never take off.

I wanted to see Mulan since the first trailer. That price though. No thank you.

Remake the remakes but in CGI!

Live action Lion King remake, but this time CGI!

Live action Aladdin remake, but CGI!

And then after that they can remake the remake of the remake in traditional animation and then restart the process.

All though Disney keeping song of the south on the ready.

All remakes of remakes will be done with sock puppets.
mickey-sock-puppet-fdcom.jpg

sol_bad

How is Disney plus doing anyway? I got a deal on it for the year but.. ya it's really really bad.

Netflix release new movies day and date on the service

If Disney aren't taking it seriously it'll never take off.

This is not true.
The movies that Netflix get deals on, like Uncut Gems and Marriage Story, don't get theatrical releases at all in most countries. In America they get limited runs.
Also, Netflix are not making profit. Disney don't work based on not making profit, they are smarter than that.

Just a reminder that the actress playing Mulan is a CCP shill so you'll be actively contributing to the 21st century holocaust if you watch this trash.

On the one hand, yeah, that's kinda true. But on the other hand, I feel it's kinda shitty to hold that against the cast and crew who aren't her. It's kinda like the Ren & Stimpy situation; I'm not gonna stop rewatching it just because John K is an asshole pedo, there were WAY many other people working on that show who helped make it good, not just him.

Granted I haven't cared much for this Mulan remake at all so it's a lot easier to give it a pass, especially at $30. At that price, I might as well own it in a digital collection.

oagboghi2

Well seeing as they lost 5 billions so far due to the pandemic i doubt they get much help. Their biggest revenues are from the parks.
Which is weird. I always assumed the parks were revenue killers. It must be a huge expense, paying taxes on all that land, paying for all the individual labor costs, insurance, maintenance, etc etc

Malakhov

Banned
Which is weird. I always assumed the parks were revenue killers. It must be a huge expense, paying taxes on all that land, paying for all the individual labor costs, insurance, maintenance, etc etc
I knew they were making a lot with parks but not that it was their biggest revenues, read that in an article concerning covid

it's crazy

MayauMiao

$30 dollars wouldn't fly in most countries. I think most will just pirate it just for rewatch or share among friends or families.

Malakhov

Banned
Real Disney fans are real dumb
Yeah we're so dumb for being a fan of something that gives our kids so much joy and entertainment.

One of the best days in my life was christmas day a few years ago at magic kingdom. I got there at the park opening and my daughter ended up falling asleep on my shoulders at midnight after the mindblowing fireworks and christmas show, of pure joy.

So fucking dumb I tell you

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I wonder if this'll be around the same price Bill & Ted Face the Music will be. That's what I'm more interested in seeing, and that's supposed to be VOD and select theaters on Sep 2.

I'll be likely just watching it by my lonesome, so a hefty price like $30 might bum me out.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I wouldn’t pay that to see any movie. It’s more than twice what I pay at the theater now. Even with a drink and popcorn included it only like 12-13 bucks per movie.

Top Bottom