• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney XD Renews ‘DuckTales’ Ahead Of Launch, Unveils First-Look Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeviantBoi

I'm gonna have to get used to the new character designs, but so far it looks pretty good.

Will watch!

Anyone know how many episodes per season?

Richie

I'm smiling like a child on Christmas morning
So glad to see Donald was confirmed a part of the main cast after some uncertainty with the last Theme Song video
Webby gushing over him made my week
Does seem like they will indeed use him for slapstick but also that they'll care enough to show more to him than just that?
Aaaaaah maaaaan the possibilities if they finally can make the comics' Donald a bit of justice!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAH!!

I have enough self awareness to realize I'm gushing like a child at some cartoons but but I'm symultaneously glad I can still get this hyped about things in the age where many have opted for perpetual jaded status

PSqueak

Banned
tumblr_inline_o2igl9bry11rv4fej_540.gif

This.

This has always bothered me because that gumball looks like a bootleg of the real thing.

Nobody who has seen TAWOG can say it's part of the "Calarts" style.

It's not even made in america!

JSevere

gonna need to get used to the nephews not having duck voices and being voiced by Russi Taylor, but the show looks like lots of fun!

I was sooooo hyped for this....but I can't be the only one who thinks the animation is awful. It reminds me of the crappy decisions made for Killing Joke.

The animation seems very subpar. The backgrounds are just static images. It looks like it was done in flash.

Look at how smooth the old series was.

Minor nitpicks aside, I love it. It's also clear it will have more in common with the Uncle Scrooge/Donald Duck comics then the original series, something I welcome with open arms

Jenov

Hmm yeah guess I'm old, cause I really don't like the voices and art style. What happened to making really good looking cartoons?

Raxus

Came for the Tennant, stayed for the Launchpad.

Could do with Webby not just being Mable Butterfly tho.

I was actually shocked when I found out it isn't Kristian Schaal.
Hmm yeah guess I'm old, cause I really don't like the voices and art style. What happened to making really good looking cartoons?
It's still happening you just kept your head in the sand.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh no, it looking like a Flash cartoon is somewhat heartbreaking. Animation being far worse 20 years on is not how I pictured the future as a youngun.

They should definitely run the show through the filter Toei is using on Dragon Ball Super:
It's cool that we have a pretty nice peak at the show before at after the filters are applied.
KVfs2fn.png

LBoNG08.png

Top is the NEP from last week, bottom is the final episode. Crazy how much the line filter improves the art.

Tennant is doing a damn good Scrooge though.

Man, I really don't care for the way modern cartoons look. Everything looks so cheap.

Will probably give it a watch just for the nostalgia, though.

JudgeN

Wait wait I watched the original duck tales growing up and never knew that Scrooge Mcduck was Donald Duck. Learn something everyday.

That was a joke? O well i unlearn it now ha
I mean, Donald goes on adventures with Scrooge in the comics but he didn't in the original DuckTales cartoon and was kinda replaced by Launchpad. Now I think they're just trying to show Donald goes on adventures in this show too, like in the comics.

But Donald is Scrooge's nephew. Which is why Donald is taking the triplets to meet him in this trailer (which is actually reminiscent of the original DuckTales pilot episode a bit), as they're two different people.

jett

D-Member
I really don't care for how this looks.

Oh well. I'm an old guy and this shit definitely isn't made for me.

Cheerilee

Looks great. I've been intentionally trying to avoid getting hyped for this because it's impossible to top the original, but it looks like it's going to exceed my (deliberately low) expectations and be very enjoyable.

UberTag

Nephews need to sound like ducklings instead of adult humans. :(
They were never going to sound like their Russi Taylor-voiced 1980s counterparts but I'm torn on whether I like this approach versus how they were voiced in Quack Pack by three different actresses (essentially Princess Toadstool from the SMB Super Show, Bobby Hill from King of the Hill and Tommy Pickles from Rugrats).

draetenth

Eh, the voices will take some getting used to (not that I would actually say they are bad, but just different), but I don't really care for the animation. However, the video did make me interested in the series.

Launchpad at the end cracked me up instantly.
The way he says "Oh no, the ground!" is hillarious.

Probably my favorite part.

Pizza

I'm in love with the new Mickey Mouse cartoon that Disney did, waaaaay better than I expected going in. It had a really good sense of humor and charm, and it's really really worth the watch if any of y'all haven't seen it

Scrooge mcduck is one of my favorite characters ever, and I watched the shit outta duck tails as a kid. Honestly, comparing this to my rose tinted memories of the first run, this looks waaaay more inspired

The meta weight that Scrooge has going into being an adventurerer again, that he "used to be a big deal" was pretty neat, and is a really good setup to why the old fuck is so goddamn gung ho about adventuring at all. It reframes the story a bit to make it look like everyone is having the time of their lives, which is a sweet way to go about duck tails *especially* considering it seems like everyone involved is having a blast

I'm fucking excited

btrboyev

Nope. Voices are all kinds of wrong. Absolutely no reason why they still couldn't use the original voices of the nephews. Or at very least attempt to keep the voices similar. They sound like adults

Conan-san

This is what stood out to me immediately. Donald looks like he was plucked right out of those.
Given how Donald was all "Oh no..." when he got his arse stuck in the wall I coulnd't help but think that he remembers that episode he had with Mickey and Goofy going all Fantastic Voyage an everything. (It didn't end well for his arse)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sorry, the art is bad but the voice work is terrible.

Still, if it has a fraction of the charm and adventure of the old ones it'll be cool to watch as a family.

"Sure, if you want to do it the easy way"
The dialogue is pretty shitty too. Expectations low.

I think it looks super nice and love Tennant as Scrooge.
Im probably going to watch it also in spanish, and im afraid of who are they going to use for scrooge as Carlos Revilla, one of the best voice actors ever, died lots of years ago (may he rest in pece :( ) Just hope they get someone how is up to snuff.
Wouldnt surprise me Disney in spain still using the nephews original voices here.
What i hope is that Launchpad is still Ivan Muelas.

This image is so dishonest it hurts, and its lolworthy that people here are just nodding like its truth. Some of this shows dont even use that type of smiles often.

That picture is so dishonest. First the silhouettes of all the characters are completely different but they remove that from the animation. Plus they try to make it look like that they all use the same mouth but if you watched any of the shows you would know that is not the way they draw their mouths. This is the equivalent to that dumb Dreamworks vs Pixar image.

Yup 100% with you.

The meta weight that Scrooge has going into being an adventurerer again, that he "used to be a big deal" was pretty neat, and is a really good setup to why the old fuck is so goddamn gung ho about adventuring at all. It reframes the story a bit to make it look like everyone is having the time of their lives, which is a sweet way to go about duck tails *especially* considering it seems like everyone involved is having a blast

I'm fucking excited

I don't know if that is meta. In the comics, Scrooge used to be an adventurer, but becomes a recluse after he is continuously betrayed.

Donald and the nephews bring him out of retirement

Yeah I think now is as good a time as any to plug The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck to anyone who can find it for a reasonable price and has any interest in DuckTales at all.

RK128

Was very impressed with the 'First Look' video Disney released.

While it's very different from the original series, it's trying to be unique. It set's out to capture the 'spirit' of the original but is not afraid to do all-out in being different from it. It reminds me of something like Batman Beyond for example; understanding where it came from but doing it's own thing all the same.

Glad it's doing that rather then follow in the footsteps of the original series poorly....(Glares at the Powerpuff Girls Reboot series).

The voice acting is solid and I like the humor coming from the entire cast. The nephews are all unique and them having unique voices helps them stand out as unique characters, Webby is very different from the original (she is like a more adventure-focused Mable from Gravity Falls) and Scrouge is fantastic. Even though we saw only a peak at the first episode most likely, his new voice sounds good and he looks like a great character.

I also like how Donald is going to be featured in the show as a main character. He seems more toned down and serious, so I'm wondering what he does (outside of being an Adventurer).

Can't wait to see the full series this summer and this will likely join (hopefully) the quality shows that are currently airing on Disney XD. So happy to see Disney step-up their animation game in recent years.

Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, The Mickey Mouse Shorts, Wander over Yonder, Milo Murphy's Law and now Ducktales; they are doing great work :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom