• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney XD Renews ‘DuckTales’ Ahead Of Launch, Unveils First-Look Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_inline_o2igl9bry11rv4fej_540.gif

This.

My problem with modern cartoon designs summarized in one gif.

Future

Nope. Voices are all kinds of wrong. Absolutely no reason why they still couldn't use the original voices of the nephews. Or at very least attempt to keep the voices similar. They sound like adults

Watched it again and still can't get over this.

Faiz

Nephews are really my problem here. They shouldn't be edgy teenagers, they should be junior woodchucks.

CREMSteve

Animation style sucks, the colouring seems muted compared to the original. Why don't the nephews sound like Donald Duck anymore??? Colour me disappointed. At least they have the theme in there.

Osakadon

The nephew's voices sound so out of place and don't fit the characters at all. They are supposed to be kids right? Why do they sound like they are in their 20s?

Scrooge and Donald are pretty good I think, and the show visually looks great.

The theme song singer sounds like she doesn't give a damn. But I have kind of a pet peeve for when they try to modernize/coolify old music and themes. But that's a small gripe I admit.

edit: wait is this the official new theme song? Or the song in the preview video? Because if its the link below then thats pretty good.

LISTEN TO THIS

smurfx

get some go again
don't really care what donald sounds like since he will likely rarely appear. i wonder if they are giving doofus a makeover.

error4041

I'm pretty excited for this, never really saw the Original Ducktales, but this looks to follow in the spirit of the original while still being it's own thing.

Disney has had some pretty great cartoons recently, aren't they also making a Tangled and Big Hero 6 cartoon?

RK128

I'm pretty excited for this, never really saw the Original Ducktales, but this looks to follow in the spirit of the original while still being it's own thing.

Disney has had some pretty great cartoons recently, aren't they also making a Tangled and Big Hero 6 cartoon?

Yep. And the best part about those upcoming shows is that the later is being from the creative team behind 'Kim Possible', one of the better shows from Disney Channels early 2000's.

Tangled is opening it's series with a hour-long special airing in March. It looks decent enough and I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out. Maybe it will be another 'Lilo & Stitch the Series' for Disney quality wise I hope.

Toxi

Banned
The one thing that is really similar between all those characters in the gif is the general facial shape with a bulging lower half. Seems to be a common look in animation for kid characters these days, contrasting with the more flat faces of 90s to 2000s shows.

My problem with modern cartoon designs summarized in one gif.
You have an avatar of a One Piece female character, so I'll take your opinion on character design with a grain of salt.

I'm smiling like a child on Christmas morning
So glad to see Donald was confirmed a part of the main cast after some uncertainty with the last Theme Song video

donald was VERY infrequently featured in the original cartoon. which made sense, he was letting the nephews live with scrooge while he served in the navy.

Voices sound kind of weird... I'll have to see more videos though. I like certain voices like the Scrooge one but it's weird hearing Scrooge being so overly calm, hope it's like a first episode thing of them getting dropped off and then it sounds more like normal scrooge.

Belfast

The thing with an adaptation is to keep the spirit of something while making strides to do something new.

That this isn't exactly like the old DuckTales TV series in terms of animation or voices isn't a crime.

Just as the old DuckTales marginalizing Donald as a character and tweaking character personalities compared to the comics isn't a crime, either.

They're all different extensions of the same product, and I'd rather they make changes rather than just re-animate the old episodes. As with all adaptations, the existence of the new doesn't erase the old. You can still watch the 80s TV series and you can still go back and read all the Barks/Rosa comics.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I like the visual design, because it hearkens back to the comics, but Tennant's Scrooge voice is not good. None of the voices are great but Scrooge in particular does not work.

Richie

donald was VERY infrequently featured in the original cartoon. which made sense, he was letting the nephews live with scrooge while he served in the navy.

Oh I know that. They promised to give him more time in the spotlight when this reboot was first unveiled, but then around the time the Theme Song video sung by the main cast popped up, Donald was referred to in more guest-like terms. This trailer does point to him being more involved which is everything I hope for. Here's hoping they squeeze his personality for all it's worth, as much as the voice will allow it. He already gets some helluva dialogue/moments in the new Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Tizoc

I saw people walking on the coins in that preview. Calling it now, there's gonna be a joke about this in the episode.

In the final chapter of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Donald thinks Scrooge will die by jumping into his money in the bin, but he swims through it all normal like, which surprises Donald.
Swimming through money is something only Scrooge McDuck could do ;P

DeviantBoi

I don't get the criticism of the nephews sounding like grown men. They really don't.

I think they're fine and I'd rather have it this way then having grown women voicing young boys like they do in a lot of Japanese video games.

Tizoc

I don't get the criticism of the nephews sounding like grown men. They really don't.

I think they're fine and I'd rather have it this way then having grown women voicing young boys like they do in a lot of Japanese video games.

In the original cartoon, the nephews were voiced by Russi Taylor, a voice actress.
It isn't something that is exclusive to anime.

Finaj

Honestly, this remake is already showing improvements over the original.

-Donald Duck actually seems to be in it. In the original show, he basically never showed up.

-The Nephews are better. They're more uniquely designed, have different voices and different personalities.

-Webbie doesn't seem to be the annoying obligatory female character anymore.

Faiz

The thing with an adaptation is to keep the spirit of something while making strides to do something new.

That this isn't exactly like the old DuckTales TV series in terms of animation or voices isn't a crime.

Just as the old DuckTales marginalizing Donald as a character and tweaking character personalities compared to the comics isn't a crime, either.

They're all different extensions of the same product, and I'd rather they make changes rather than just re-animate the old episodes. As with all adaptations, the existence of the new doesn't erase the old. You can still watch the 80s TV series and you can still go back and read all the Barks/Rosa comics.

I mostly agree. But the nephews feel less like tweaks and more like completely different characters.

I'm surprised this turned out to be a reboot. It looks good, though I agree the animation isn't as impressive as the old series could be at times. I hope for more comic stuff, especially with Donald sticking around.

Goodstyle

People whining about the kids are so blinded by nostalgia. The fact that the old show had them all have the exact same voice, design, and less distinct personalities was sure as hell not something I actually wanted, but tolerated. I can't believe anyone would want that, it just seems like you guys like it because you grew up with it. It wasn't a good thing that the kids sounded like Donald, one should only tolerate that kind of voice from just one character, God.

DemWalls

This has always bothered me because that gumball looks like a bootleg of the real thing.

Nobody who has seen TAWOG can say it's part of the "Calarts" style.

It's not even made in america!

Reminds me of this, LOL.

Anyway, all I had to say about that gif has already been said, and better than I ever could. Thank you, guys.

Faiz

People whining about the kids are so blinded by nostalgia. The fact that the old show had them all have the exact same voice, design, and less distinct personalities was sure as hell not something I actually wanted, but tolerated. I can't believe anyone would want that, it just seems like you guys like it because you grew up with it. It wasn't a good thing that the kids sounded like Donald, one should only tolerate that kind of voice from just one character, God.

Or they just have a different opinion.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Animation is so stiff. Color palette is okay. Not sold on the voice acting. Disney is pitching this as a family comedy, as opposed to an adventure show. I don't know, man. Maybe I'll just go read some Don Rosa comics.

good if they retain the same quality of the original serie..
that was GOOD!
and boy, the movies..
Duck Tales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp is still today spectacular :)

The nephew's voices sound so out of place and don't fit the characters at all. They are supposed to be kids right? Why do they sound like they are in their 20s?

Scrooge and Donald are pretty good I think, and the show visually looks great.

The theme song singer sounds like she doesn't give a damn. But I have kind of a pet peeve for when they try to modernize/coolify old music and themes. But that's a small gripe I admit.

edit: wait is this the official new theme song? Or the song in the preview video? Because if its the link below then thats pretty good.

LISTEN TO THIS
Thats not the new one that's the extended version of the original theme. Rescue Rangers has an extended theme too!

I agree with a lot of your points, I was thinking about this in the kitchen this morning as I got ready for work and I hate how lazy the singer sounds in this. The "woo-oo" part in particular sounds like she's saying it because she has to, not because she's excitedly singing the song.

I think if the animation was more fluid and emotive the voices would actually fit much better.

don't really care what donald sounds like since he will likely rarely appear. i wonder if they are giving doofus a makeover.
They're basing this off the comics so he'll be in it much more than the original series.

Animation is so stiff. Color palette is okay. Not sold on the voice acting. Disney is pitching this as a family comedy, as opposed to an adventure show. I don't know, man. Maybe I'll just go read some Don Rosa comics.

After rewatching it a couple more times I think the voice acting feeling off is specifically due to the stiff animation. When the nephews are yelling at Scrooge, they have extremely static faces. "You used to be a big deal!! What happened to you??" is a really funny line and it's read with a lot of emotion but his face is expressionless and his mouth is barely moving. Same with the sequence earlier in the car, the reads and the emotion behind them don't come through in the animation at all.

I wonder if this is an issue with the animation style itself, or if the board artists are to blame. The visual style is great and shouldn't be a problem emoting but it is super lacking when it's actually animated.

Don't you think they should sound like ducks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom